• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure it'll be a good stream but I was really looking forward to Killer Queen Black. I hope they circle back around to it.
Game's not actually out yet as far as I can tell. My release date sources failed me.

Also, yeah of course I knew what the Panasonic Q was. I really wanted one back in the day, but it was too expensive and didn't make sense as an import. Personally, I didn't think the gaming questions were hard at all this round. So, yeah I can see how it must be difficult to judge.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Game's not actually out yet as far as I can tell. My release date sources failed me.

Also, yeah of course I knew what the Panasonic Q was. I really wanted one back in the day, but it was too expensive and didn't make sense as an import. Personally, I didn't think the gaming questions were hard at all this round. So, yeah I can see how it must be difficult to judge.
I'd say some of the ones I knew were still tough questions. For example, knowing about a 1990s game console marketing tagline from a now relapsed hardware producer is probably second nature for EZA, but would be extremely random knowledge for 99.9% of the population, including a lot of video game fans.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't think that strategy would work, tbh. You only have one third of available turns, so even with analyze, you won't be able to lock people out of reasonable questions. It also depends on players not being able to answer any 5/6/7/8's, which they invariably can on a strong category of theirs. Finally, while we did consider the potion buyout strat, that actually costs 240 G at the moment and 5 HP heals/more lesser potions can come from Lucky Loot Drops...there seemed to be a bizarrely low number of those drops this episode, but that's rare. Still, it might be prudent to buy a potion early...you'll probably need it eventually. A player will have 30/60 G before another has 240.

Kyle tried to break the game by buying like every piece of equipment when he played. IT DIDN'T WORK, KYLE

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
This stuff happening to GI today is giving me Gametrailers vibes in the worst way. Really sad to see what's happening over there.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i havent crunched the numbers but i don't think any item is worth getting besides the potion and double damage.
hammer of hype is very underpowered. costs 70 which means you need 8 correct answers to see a return on your investment, this was a longer game and it only had 13 rounds. you need 3-4 rounds to afford it which means that even if you know every question you barely get any reward and in shorter games you are bound to lose money. the 1 extra damage point doesn't really do much either to offset the loss of money.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Just dropping in here to wish y'all a Merry Yakuzamus.

Erica stream should be a blast tonight and the latest Mysterious Monsters was a joy as well. Also, hope they weren't kidding about the potential Farming Simulator stream. I have basically no idea how that game plays, but a cozy group stream of them creating and maintaining an EZA Farm (or Sim City type of game) sounds like a blast.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I honestly don't think that strategy would work, tbh. You only have one third of available turns, so even with analyze, you won't be able to lock people out of reasonable questions. It also depends on players not being able to answer any 5/6/7/8's, which they invariably can on a strong category of theirs. Finally, while we did consider the potion buyout strat, that actually costs 240 G at the moment and 5 HP heals/more lesser potions can come from Lucky Loot Drops...there seemed to be a bizarrely low number of those drops this episode, but that's rare. Still, it might be prudent to buy a potion early...you'll probably need it eventually. A player will have 30/60 G before another has 240.

Kyle tried to break the game by buying like every piece of equipment when he played. IT DIDN'T WORK, KYLE

That's fair. Your deffinitly more familiar with the game than me armchair quarterbacking over here. If I'm remembering correctly ash died because the person before her bought out the last potion so theres deffinitly some meta gaming to be done with the potions.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Just dropping in here to wish y'all a Merry Yakuzamus.
I'm extremely torn on what I should do though. I never played Yakuza 3 or 5 and I really want to play 3, but I own all the others on disc even though I hardly buy physical any more (except for the Yakuza games and some RPGs). So I don't know if I should buy it digitally or wait (or be an idiot and buy both, which might happen).

I am trying to hold of for now since I'm still playing Fire Emblem and I really wanted to play Erica during the weekend or so, but yeah.
I know myself and it will be hard to not buy it (I also want to show SEGA that they should keep releasing those games in the West).

Happy with the news, but still a tough decision for me since it has become one of my favourite franchises since I played Yakuza 4 on PS3 back in the day.

I am somewhat afraid of burning out on Yakuza if I play them back to back (+ it's a very cramped period gaming wise in February/March 2020 with a lot of big titles releasing around that time).

Edit:
You can see I'm talking myself into buying it digitally and possibly double dipping.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Game Informer news is also making me think of the GT shutdown, not only because it just sucks to see great people lose their jobs, but also because one of the folks getting laid off was also on vacation, not unlike Blood and Matt Blair.

GI has some of the best preview coverage in the biz, so I hope that doesn't change.

Also, excited for Erica tonight. Hopefully it's not a dud like that Supergiant PlayLink game from last year.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's fair. Your deffinitly more familiar with the game than me armchair quarterbacking over here. If I'm remembering correctly ash died because the person before her bought out the last potion so theres deffinitly some meta gaming to be done with the potions.
Stuff like buying out the last potion as a spite move is the type of strat I want to see! There are plenty of strats Ian and I have talked about that no one has used yet...

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I'm extremely torn on what I should do though. I never played Yakuza 3 or 5 and I really want to play 3, but I own all the others on disc even though I hardly buy physical any more (except for the Yakuza games and some RPGs). So I don't know if I should buy it digitally or wait (or be an idiot and buy both, which might happen).

I am trying to hold of for now since I'm still playing Fire Emblem and I really wanted to play Erica during the weekend or so, but yeah.
I know myself and it will be hard to not buy it (I also want to show SEGA that they should keep releasing those games in the West).

Happy with the news, but still a tough decision for me since it has become one of my favourite franchises since I played Yakuza 4 on PS3 back in the day.

I am somewhat afraid of burning out on Yakuza if I play them back to back (+ it's a very cramped period gaming wise in February/March 2020 with a lot of big titles releasing around that time).

Edit:
You can see I'm talking myself into buying it digitally and possibly double dipping.

Hah, I cut the cord and went all digital the start of this gen, so I don't know how much I can weigh in on this quandary other than to say that this is a "good" problem to have. I'd probably suggest waiting for physical just because it might be fun to have the entire collection that way and they're even hilarious including a Yakuza 5 box. Also, you said you have some games to play and likely some games this fall to keep you occupied by the time the physical collection drops.

But, like, if you're seriously jonesin' for some Yakuza, I don't think you're going to feel too terrible at the end of the day having it digital and physical and knowing your $ is going to supporting the franchise.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i havent crunched the numbers but i don't think any item is worth getting besides the potion and double damage.
hammer of hype is very underpowered. costs 70 which means you need 8 correct answers to see a return on your investment, this was a longer game and it only had 13 rounds. you need 3-4 rounds to afford it which means that even if you know every question you barely get any reward and in shorter games you are bound to lose money. the 1 extra damage point doesn't really do much either to offset the loss of money.
That isn't true. The +1 from the Hammer is multiplied out in Double Damage, it's multiplied out in kill shot double gold (or triple gold, with the Cursed Amulet!), and it applies to every answer answered correctly in the final round, as well. (Plus, the extra damage makes it easier to achieve kill shots.) Huber's Hammer of Hype is almost always worth it if purchased in Round 1.

Cursed Amulet of the Three is also massive (Erica ended up getting a 120 G boost from it on one question ALONE in the last episode), though higher risk, since you need those kill shots. Cowl can pay off with the right strategy, but that typically involves using analyze a little more to pick off the easier questions. It's a valid strategy to kind of ignore kill shots and go for 1-3 difficulty questions, always nabbing a 20 G bonus and racking up Lucky Loot tokens.

And the Wolf's Pelt has pockets, y'all.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Hah, I cut the cord and went all digital the start of this gen, so I don't know how much I can weigh in on this quandary other than to say that this is a "good" problem to have. I'd probably suggest waiting for physical just because it might be fun to have the entire collection that way and they're even hilarious including a Yakuza 5 box. Also, you said you have some games to play and likely some games this fall to keep you occupied by the time the physical collection drops.

But, like, if you're seriously jonesin' for some Yakuza, I don't think you're going to feel too terrible at the end of the day having it digital and physical and knowing your $ is going to supporting the franchise.
It's for sure a first world "problem". I think I own about half the amount of physical copies compared to last gen, but I bought way more games this gen (which makes it even more ridiculous as I probably have enough PS4 games that I need to play for over 10 years). Last gen I almost only bought physical discs and this gen it's the other way around (a bit less in the beginning of the gen). I also prefer to own games digitally for games I tend to boot up every now and again (like Trials or Forza for example), but it's less of a problem for games like Yakuza or RPGs in general which I generally play one time and that's it.

But you are 100% correct that not buying it digitally is the smart way to go. My head knows it's the smart way to go, but my heart is saying "buy it". I will try my best to keep myself from buying it digitally.

Last edited:

maxvsthegames

Jun 21, 2018

All good points!

And yeah, it was hilarious to see Kyle try that strategy and the way it backfired on him.
I'm not sure I remember correctly, but I think he would have had more money than the others and would have won if he didn't needlessly buy pretty much every item available!

maxvsthegames

Jun 21, 2018

If I remember correctly, Elyse had two kill shots during the game that she was only able to get buy using a combo of the hammer and the double damage. (Dealing 4 damages instead of 1).
And by having the killing blow, you double your earning, so she won 80 with those two correct answers.

It's hard to crunch numbers when you have to think of combos, of the stuff you can win with the lottery and of the extra gold for getting the killing bow. There are too many variables at play!

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
My favorite Mysterious Monsters episode yet, really excellent.

Looking forward to catching up on the Erica stream tomorrow too

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Was so ready for Elyse to tell Erica the Planet of the Apes protag was called Theodore or something lol

I still think the ending is a kinda abrupt though. Just needs a quick lil something like a The Weakest Link style confessional cam during the credits for the bragging rights or some fun improv / alter ego shenanigans

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

While that was funny, I did get taken out of the game a bit when Kyle pointed out he "couldn't win" making the final question irrelevant. I'm surprised there is no ability to bet on the final question ala jeopardy so that people who are more then 150 behind can still make a rally and win.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017

To be fair, Noah/others got like 2+ hyperstrikes and Kyle got none iirc. He would have won by a landslide if not for RNG or the lack of it regarding the Lucky Loot board. Or he could have won if he remembered to use items he did win from loot.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
While that was funny, I did get taken out of the game a bit when Kyle pointed out he "couldn't win" making the final question irrelevant. I'm surprised there is no ability to bet on the final question ala jeopardy so that people who are more then 150 behind can still make a rally and win.
That has been patched; everyone now earns between 0-200 G depending on how close they are.

It's a fair critique, but I also don't like making the rest of the game somewhat irrelevant. As far as betting, we couldn't find a clean/smooth/fast way of actually executing it with our production.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017

Don't think that's quite right. The point of the hammer, as I understand it, is to give you access to easier killing blows as well as kills that no one else can get (8 damage on a 9hp monster). Pair it with an analyse, play tactically, and you can probably snag the kill on most monsters, especially your strong subjects.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
That has been patched; everyone now earns between 0-200 G depending on how close they are.

It's a fair critique, but I also don't like making the rest of the game somewhat irrelevant. As far as betting, we couldn't find a clean/smooth/fast way of actually executing it with our production.

That's fair, it feels kind of like a damned if you do damned if you don't kind of thing. If the final question is too strong it invalidates the rest of the game, if it's too weak you might remove all tension from the final question. None of the episodes have had an issue with a runaway leader though it's something that could eventually happen.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Was so ready for Elyse to tell Erica the Planet of the Apes protag was called Theodore or something lol

I still think the ending is a kinda abrupt though. Just needs a quick lil something like a The Weakest Link style confessional cam during the credits for the bragging rights or some fun improv / alter ego shenanigans
I agree with this, though the prize being awarded does help a bit.

Oct 25, 2017
That's fair, it feels kind of like a damned if you do damned if you don't kind of thing. If the final question is too strong it invalidates the rest of the game, if it's too weak you might remove all tension from the final question. None of the episodes have had an issue with a runaway leader though it's something that could eventually happen.

I think it was about to be an issue in the most recent episode until the act of generosity.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Not even 30 seconds in and that is exactly what I need in my life. Ben knows, he just knows.

Going on the wishlist for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
That Don't Skip intro is straight fire. Love it. Great job Ian.

And kudos to Ben. So impressed overall, but SUPER impressed that he edited it. Very well done.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
No offense to Brandon at all, but adding another voice to EZA is really welcome for me. I think it helps for casual viewers if EZA content to get to know the voice - both literal and editorial - of all Allies. When all you do is pop in for reviews you might read that something is written by Blood or Huber or Ben, but hearing their words in their own voices is really impactful. I love that Ben was passionate about Don't Skip, and will be a nice companion to their flagship reviews for other games. Great job all around on this concept!

Oct 25, 2017
Kyle is so wrong about Ratchet & Clank. The 2016 game was the "fastest selling Ratchet & Clank game" two weeks after launch, and "the most successful Ratchet/Insomniac game of all time" before Spider-Man.
Yeah, I think the sentiment/excitement for the game was dampened by how much of a miserable failure the movie was, and I think that's what sticks in people's brains, considering how tied together they were. I haven't watched the podcast yet, but I doubt Insomniac is done with Ratchet. They've had other things on their plate and now with full backing from Sony, I bet we'll see a new Ratchet in a couple of years.

Oct 26, 2017

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

Nice. Don't skip this people.

It might make for an interesting podcast segment to do a check how many of the Allies themselves actually did skip the games in 'don't skip'.

Honestly in a lot of gameshows the final round more or less trivializes everything that came before because they want there to be some tension until the end of the show.

Ddalgi

Aug 7, 2019
Jolly stream

Edit: It kinda blows my mind every single time, when Kyle knows about German things, like "Game One" and other stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.