• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the new Mysterious Monsters episode, it was incredible.

I can't be the only one that would go for only the videogame questions and would basically fail at anything else, right? I know almost EVERY single videogame question they have asked, and in the other sections I'm just like "I have no idea".

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Mysterious Monsters is legit one of the best things the Allies have done.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Great episode as always but I feel like the pace of Mysterious Monsters could be a lot quicker and the video game questions could be easier especially if the contestants are actors and comedians.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Great episode as always but I feel like the pace of Mysterious Monsters could be a lot quicker and the video game questions could be easier especially if the contestants are actors and comedians.
Some of those questions were HILARIOUSLY obscure. The color of the first Pikmin you see in Pikmin 3? (A 6 year old game unpopular series on an extremely unpopular Nintendo console.) Insane.

Oct 26, 2017
If they make a Mysterious Monster DLC (lol) they could introduce new monsters (like the anime monster) and tailor the monster selection to the guests they have on the show

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, they all have careers in video games. More likely to know this than sports.
Some of those questions were HILARIOUSLY obscure. The color of the first Pikmin you see in Pikmin 3? (A 6 year old game unpopular series on an extremely unpopular Nintendo console.) Insane.
It wasn't the first one to be seen. It was just the color of flying Pikmin. I remembered that one right away. The imagery is pretty memorable.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Question difficulty is something we have trouble with. I'll admit that the Pikmin question should perhaps have been rated a 6 or 7, but in the end, for a lot of these categories, it's less about "how hard in this question" and more "have you played or seen this particular thing". Like, "What town does Parks and Recreation take place in" is a pretty easy question for anyone who's seen it, and literally impossible if you haven't. If you've played Pikmin 3, you probably knew the answer to that question, so we have to make a weird estimation of "approximately what percentage of the players on Mysterious Monsters, which include largely industry-working or industry-adjacent people, have played Pikmin 3 or at least seen major marketing for it". And that's pretty tough.

Video games in particular are something that almost all guests are likely to be at least familiar with, but the general goal is to have contestants picking categories that they feel they have a higher than average knowledge in.

I'm not sure anyone in Episode 4 even bought a potion; in Episode 5, they literally sold out the store. They were pulling from the same bank of questions. The upcoming Episode 6 randomly balances back toward center again, I think.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Question difficulty is something we have trouble with. I'll admit that the Pikmin question should perhaps have been rated a 6 or 7, but in the end, for a lot of these categories, it's less about "how hard in this question" and more "have you played or seen this particular thing". Like, "What town does Parks and Recreation take place in" is a pretty easy question for anyone who's seen it, and literally impossible if you haven't. If you've played Pikmin 3, you probably knew the answer to that question, so we have to make a weird estimation of "approximately what percentage of the players on Mysterious Monsters, which include largely industry-working or industry-adjacent people, have played Pikmin 3 or at least seen major marketing for it". And that's pretty tough.

Video games in particular are something that almost all guests are likely to be at least familiar with, but the general goal is to have contestants picking categories that they feel they have a higher than average knowledge in.

I'm not sure literally anyone in Episode 4 even bought a potion; in Episode 5, they literally sold out the store. They were pulling from the same bank of questions. The upcoming Episode 6 randomly balances back toward center again, I think.

I played hours of Pikmin 3 (which was my only Pikmin game) when it launched and I don't remember whatsoever what color they were, lol. And literally nobody I know in real life has ever played a Pikmin game. It's one of Nintendo's most obscure "big" IPs.

So you're right that you have to base the difficulty somewhat on the percentage of people that may know. In that case, the color of the flying Pikmin that were specifically in Pikmin 3 would be top tier difficult, IMO; not only because you had to have played Pikmin 3, but also recalled the colors of each type from years ago. Whereas Parks and Rec has so many viewers, remains pretty evergreen in viewership on streaming platforms, and Pawnee is mentioned so often throughout the series.

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not sure anyone in Episode 4 even bought a potion; in Episode 5, they literally sold out the store. They were pulling from the same bank of questions. The upcoming Episode 6 randomly balances back toward center again, I think.
Hi Feep, you guys probably already filmed a lot of episodes, but can i ask that you guys augment the lightning a little bit on the guests. Their faces were not lit enough. The background was brighter then them.

maxvsthegames

Jun 21, 2018

Are you considering an anime/manga monster?
This would be a great addition in my opinion!

The monster could be called the "Weaboo" and be a japanese ghost!

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I played hours of Pikmin 3 (which was my only Pikmin game) when it launched and I don't remember whatsoever what color they were, lol. And literally nobody I know in real life has ever played a Pikmin game. It's one of Nintendo's most obscure "big" IPs.

So you're right that you have to base the difficulty somewhat on the percentage of people that may know. In that case, the color of the flying Pikmin that were specifically in Pikmin 3 would be top tier difficult, IMO; not only because you had to have played Pikmin 3, but also recalled the colors of each type from years ago. Whereas Parks and Rec has so many viewers, remains pretty evergreen in viewership on streaming platforms, and Pawnee is mentioned so often throughout the series.
Mmm, maybe. But the flying pink Pikmin are also key to Olimar's moveset in the latest Smash Bros; they're his Up-B move. So there's that.

Are you considering an anime/manga monster?
This would be a great addition in my opinion!

The monster could be called the "Weaboo" and be a japanese ghost!
Some strong support for the anime monster from the community...hmmm....

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Yeah, question difficulty is always weird. I knew the Panasonic Q one, but don't know almost anything about movies or shows.

I have recently read a book about a lot of consoles from the beginning until this gen with a short explanation what it was and some pictures, so I was relatively sure about the Panasonic Q. I did make the same mistake for the codename of the Wii though.

It just depends on what people have played/read about and if they are interested enough to remember.

Last edited:

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
With the Pikmin question, it's inherently somewhat easier than the 'final boss in Tekken 3' question, because there is only a limited set of colours which the answer can be. Even if you've never played it, you will guess a colour and, within reason, you could guess pink. If you've played any of the Pikmin games, you'll know that the standard three (red, blue, yellow) don't fly, so you've eliminated the three most obvious answers. I don't think it's an easy question by any stretch, but part of the difficulty does come down to how likely it is to be guessed, it's the same reason that true or false questions are inherently easier.

Yeah, question difficulty is always weird. I knew the Panasonic Q one, but don't know almost anything about movies or shows.

I have recently read a book about a lot of consoles from the beginning until this gen with a short explanation what it was and some pictures, so I was relatively sure about the Panasonic Q. I did make the same mistake for the codename of the Wii though.

It just depends on what people have played/read about and if they are interested enough to remember.

Definitely in regards to specifically writing the video game questions, it's a tricky balance. Got to ensure the questions are fair for contestants who are very game savvy and those who aren't (as both creeds end up as contestants), but also still be entertaining to the video game enthusiast audience who will be watching. Viewer enjoyment is a bit of a strange beast with question writing.

[Tangentially, this is part of why Wheel of Fortune is so long-running: The contestants earn more money by continuing to guess letters even after they know the answer, and the viewer feels fulfilled that they were able to guess the answer before the contestant did.]

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Definitely in regards to specifically writing the video game questions, it's a tricky balance. Got to ensure the questions are fair for contestants who are very game savvy and those who aren't (as both creeds end up as contestants), but also still be entertaining to the video game enthusiast audience who will be watching. Viewer enjoyment is a bit of a strange beast with question writing.

[Tangentially, this is part of why Wheel of Fortune is so long-running: The contestants earn more money by continuing to guess letters even after they know the answer, and the viewer feels fulfilled that they were able to guess the answer before the contestant did.]
I think the balance is good. It's impossible to write the questions in a way that it's perfectly even for all contestants. If there would have been an Anime monster, chances are Erica would have known a lot more compared to Ashley and Elyse, while Elyse knew a lot about movies/shows. And on the episodes where an Ally was present, it was obvious they would probably know more about retro gaming compared to non-gaming-industry people. Not much you can do about that.

Giving points to the quests is probably even harder as that just depends on the person. I didn't know about the pikmin one since I have never played those games (although I do remember seeing it somewhere before after the colour was mentioned here), but it's probably very obvious for people that have played the game.

I wouldn't tinker with it too much as it's so depended on the contestants and it's just never going to be perfect.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
That last episode of Mysterious Monsters was the best one yet! With that said...someone knowingly making bad strategic decisions in a boardgame is a big pet peeve of mine, so it was kinda hard to watch in the second half.

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
Another vote for the Erica, Ashley & Elyse MM being the best one yet. So much fun with Ashley getting feisty and Erica & Huber going off on a wild Akatsuki tangent.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
if you are in a weak round the meta would be buying up all the potions and let everyone die. it's not that expensive.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's the Ferrari of games consoles
what's the PSX then?

product-95557.jpg

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Bloodworth Have to ask, do you know what the Panasonic Q is?
I knew, so my guess is that he did as well. I didn't know about it back in the day though, but I wasn't that in tune with Nintendo around that time.
Blood was working for Nintendo publications if I remember correctly. I'm sure he knew about it.
what's the PSX then?
The Rolls Royce?

I knew that one as wel (this one from back in the day), but I remember it being very expensive (but I guess the Panasonic Q probably was expensive as well).

And I mean the PSX you showed. Not the Original Playstation that was also dubbed PSX until the PSOne released.

Last edited:

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mmm, maybe. But the flying pink Pikmin are also key to Olimar's moveset in the latest Smash Bros; they're his Up-B move. So there's that.

Some strong support for the anime monster from the community...hmmm....

I think the uneasy alliance action needs to offer more incentives to lie to the person.

These contestants are all too friendly with each other!

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
For anyone unaware, the Panasonic Q was a thing of beautiful insanity, a Gamecube that played DVDs, even while the Gamecube only ever used its own smaller proprietary discs.

This is what happens when, I assume, Panasonic insisted on a front-display and Nintendo insisted on a handle.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yup, that was easily the best MM episode yet!

And Benzilla is the obvious choice for an anime monster.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
if you are in a weak round the meta would be buying up all the potions and let everyone die. it's not that expensive.

The true meta would be getting the wolf's pelt (free analyze), using it to pick all of the easy questions so the others are left with only harder questions and try to set it up so that monsters HAVE to run away. Once you know that it's impossible to defeat a monster with the current number of points left abandon it and let the other contestants fight over the extra hard questions. Use your small earnings to buy ups many options as you can.

If you want to be truly evil you can run yourself out of gold buying potions and purposly tank a couple hard questions on a monster that your competitors seem to like so that your competitors cant kill it and just let the wizard revive you with no consequences.

Edit: I dont think it would actually be that easy to pull this off but it's the only OP meta strategy I've come up with.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The true meta would be getting the wolf's pelt (free analyze), using it to pick all of the easy questions so the others are left with only harder questions and try to set it up so that monsters HAVE to run away. Once you know that it's impossible to defeat a monster with the current number of points left abandon it and let the other contestants fight over the extra hard questions. Use your small earnings to buy ups many options as you can.
that's exactly what i thought. just pick off the easy questions and buy up potions.

works extra well if you have a category that nobody else knows anything about. i would dominate sports and let them get the ultra hard questions in their favourite categories by using up the easy questions and buying potions.

maxvsthegames

Jun 21, 2018
So... erica, ash and huber anime podcast when?

I think Ash made it pretty clear that she didn't really like anime though...
At least not the same kinda of anime as Erica and Huber.

As much as a I love Ash, I don't think it would be much fun to watch a show where she talks about anime if she doesn't even know anything about the big ones like Naruto.

Erica would be more than welcome as a guest for an anime show though.
I think she could vibe very well with Huber and Ben!

Last edited:

maxvsthegames

Jun 21, 2018

If you want to be truly evil you can run yourself out of gold buying potions and purposly tank a couple hard questions on a monster that your competitors seem to like so that your competitors cant kill it and just let the wizard revive you with no consequences.

Edit: I dont think it would actually be that easy to pull this off but it's the only OP meta strategy I've come up with.

It's a good thing that this show is just for fun!

It is pretty hard to balance a game, and there seems to have a few exploitable flaws into this one.

That's why in playtesting, you always need someone who thinks like you did and try the edge cases, trying to break the game basically.
This is the best way to avoid having those kind of exploits.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they can be guest stars in Anime Slushie

Ya know, for as much as i love anime and I've watched it since i was a kid, i don't actually listen to any anime podcasts. I should probably change that haha.

I think Ash made it pretty clear that she didn't really like anime though...
At least not the same kinda of anime as Erica and Huber.

As much as a I love Ash, I wouldn't want to watch a show where she talks about anime if she doesn't even know anything about the big ones like Naruto.

Erica would be more than welcome as a guest for an anime show though.
I think she could vibe very well with Huber and Ben!

I'd just have ash there to question things, like how she couldn't believe the sequel to naruto was boruto hahaha

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Ash's reaction to learning about Boruto was the same as mine the first time I heard about it. Best moment.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
It's a good thing that this show is just for fun!

It is pretty hard to balance a game, and there seems to have a few exploitable flaws into this one.

That's why in playtesting, you always need someone who thinks like you did and try the edge cases, trying to break the game basically.
This is the best way to avoid having those kind of exploits.

I dont expect anyone to ever attempt that strategy (dont less bosman see this) I just thought it was interesting to think through the process.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I am somewhat worried about them buying up the healing potions though.
I never realised that this could be a problem until this last episode.

There is a chance nobody wins because they can't heal any more if all potions are gone.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017

There is a chance nobody wins because they can't heal any more if all potions are gone.

I honestly think it's quite neat that it's possible for the Monsters to win.

Zha723D.gif

maxvsthegames

Jun 21, 2018

Yeah, I didn't know that there was a limit to them!
This changes so much things. Especially if someone makes a lot of money and just buy them all!

And it also means that it's possible that they all die in round 3 and that the boss wins, which is a cool mechanics, since it's even more similar to a RPG game that way!

maxvsthegames

Jun 21, 2018
Anyone else very excited to see the allies play Erica tonight?

I think my favorite stream ever from GameTrailers was the Until Dawn stream.
It's not quite the same thing (Can't wait for Man of Sedan!!!), but it's kinda similar in a way as well.

I'm really hoping for a full playthrough!
Anyone knows how long it is?

At 10$, I don't expect it to be much longer than 2-3 hours.

Edit: Did some research and there seems to be multiple routes with different lengths, but most finished the game under 2 hours, some even in a single hour. So we are definitely getting a full playthrough. (Reviews are not very encouraging though...)

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I'm sure it'll be a good stream but I was really looking forward to Killer Queen Black. I hope they circle back around to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.