• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Have you ever been so irritated that you called someone a sloshbucket?
No, but Kyle saying "Imagine that Huber is saying this into your face" made me want to punch Huber in the face, which isn't healthy at all.
So, I know I am getting way to upset about a stupid propbet lol.
You are taking this a bit too seriously i think. As said above, this wouldnt have changed anything to the results for the Allies (they would still have to all do a 5min monologue).

Schoxkorscoff was just a little bonus, not to be taken so seriously
Oh, I know. I totally agree. But for some reason I am way too pissed off by this.
Btw, I am not pissed off by the website and how I did there, I don't care too much about that. I am pissed by the excuse and how they went back on a rule they stated before because it some gibberish that doesn't make sense.

Oct 27, 2017
No, but Kyle saying "Imagine that Huber is saying this into your face" made me want to punch Huber in the face, which isn't healthy at all.
So, I know I am getting way to upset about a stupid propbet lol.

Oh, I know. I totally agree. But for some reason I am way too pissed off by this.
Btw, I am not pissed off by the website and how I did there, I don't care too much about that. I am pissed by the excuse and how they went back on a rule they stated before because it some gibberish that doesn't make sense.
Lowering pledge incoming lol

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I lost money on it and yes, the correct decision was made
Apparently I did too lol. I was positive I voted for the announcement and even argued that the announcement would happen in the betting thread but I guess I picked the wrong option or something? I dunno.

I hope they didn't kill betting specials.
LMAO

Anyways: "We can't even be goofy, because Goofy isn't there yet." I fucking died.

Great results show and once again, the correct decision was made. Can't wait for the monologues.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
LMAO

Anyways: "We can't even be goofy, because Goofy isn't there yet." I fucking died.

Great results show and once again, the correct decision was made. Can't wait for the monologues.
I agree if Kyle didn't say in the betting special that the concert wouldn't count. I did have the feeling I somehow got a bit too lucky with my FF VII bet.
It's the way it was decided, not what was decided that made me lose my cool.

Btw, I enjoyed the results show as well, like always. Just not the way that one decision was made.
And that skit at the end + bloopers is fantastic.

Last edited:

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I am very excited for next week's monologues.

My bets were so bad I almost feel like I should write one too :( lmao

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
I think the right decision was made in regards to the FF7 release date.

99% of those that said it wouldn't be announced at E3 believed it wouldn't be announced AT ALL during that week or anytime soon.
Reward the ones that believed the announcement would be made during that time. They completely deserve that shit, screw a technicality

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium

99% of those that said it wouldn't be announced at E3 believed it wouldn't be announced AT ALL during that week or anytime soon.
Reward the ones that believed the announcement would be made during that time. They completely deserve that shit, screw a technicality
I grant you that I thought it would have gotten a year or Q of a year and I would have been fine with it if Kyle didn't specifically say that the concert wouldn't count.
The announcement was made at the concert, so it didn't count. But again, I knew I was insanely lucky by that bet (even though I am not convinced it will actually release at that release date as it's Square Enix we are talking about).

It's just that there was a clear rule that has been broken, which screwed over Damiani in the process (which probably is exactly why Kyle decided this was a good idea).

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
The betting specials are a treasure. The controversies are always the best part, especially now that it's open to the public! Let the salt flow, hahaha.

I just wonder if anyone will be upset enough to write into Cup of Jones demanding the sanctity of the bets be upheld. That will be truly magical.

Last edited:

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The betting specials are a treasure. The controversies are always the best part, especially now that it's open to the public! Let the salt flow, hahaha.

I just wonder if anyone will be upset enough to write into Cup of Jones demanding the sanctity of the bets be upheld. That will be truly magical.
Bosman right now
tenor.gif

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium

They can write in right now, but I am not convinced a lot of people will care after a couple of days. Even I am getting over it right now and it only has been an hour or so (and I was way too pissed about it). It also has no use because what can Jones do about this?

Last edited:

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
They can write in right now, but I am not convinced a lot of people will care after a couple of days. Even I am getting over it right now and it only has been an hour or so (and I was way too pissed about it). It also has no use because what can Jones do about this?

Haha exactly, but there are always people who write into Jones trying to have him scold others for something dumb. I don't know what they expect to happen, but hey, at least they are active patrons.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
If there's no trial or discussion on stream today, I'd be interested in knowing which way Jones would lean. I'd be OK if someone asked as long as it wasn't framed in a "This was bullshit!!!" way. Just like, hey, if you got a vote (or had a vote), do you think it was Yes or No for the FF7 question?

Giever

Oct 25, 2017

Nah, I thought that it would either be announced at the concert first, or announced at a later date (which seemed to be Damiani's logic as well). I thought it was pretty unlikely for them to not do it at the concert, but then do it a few days later at E3. I dunno if your 99% assessment is accurate. Either way, it was specifically said it would count!

Here's hoping Damiani can best Huber at Samurai Shodown, lol

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
The dreamers were fools. I was robbed due to some perverse affection for the dreamers! I bet hundreds of don bucks. HUNDREDS!

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Damiani walked into a room and told Bosman and Huber how the FF7 release date would be revealed and he was exactly right.

Bosman and Huber decide he gets no Don Bucks.

This is a sham.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
The FF7R trailer shown at the conference had a release date at the end. Technically a release date was "announced" at the conference. To my knowledge the definition of an announcement does not specify that it necessarily has to be the first time the information is made known.

Case closed.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I bet "no" specifically because I *did* think there was gonna be an announcement but assumed it would be at the concert. Based on the clarification I thought I made a smart bet...but no, let's reward the "dreamers". BUT I DID DREAM! D:

I want my Donbucks, Kyle.

Donbucks are SERIOUS BUSINESS.

I want, nay, DEMAND a trial!

The FF7R trailer shown at the conference had a release date at the end. Technically a release date was "announced" at the conference. To my knowledge the definition of an announcement does not specify that it necessarily has to be the first time the information is made known.

Case closed.

Let's face it, no one uses the word announcement this way in this context.

If someone asked you "when was FFVIIR announced?" you'd say "E3 2015" rather than naming every single instance of them showing another trailer.
We gotta work from the common understanding of the word here and not some technicality!

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017

Case closed.

This is how I see it. The issue is the improper use of the word announce, which Kyle frequently does. By definition, the release date was "announced" during the SE conference, so by the letter of the bet, the "Yes" vote should get the win.

However, the spirit of the bet clearly intends that "announce" is synonymous with "reveal", and considering the spirit of the bet was respected with the Big Ben bet, the same rule should apply. An entity known as Big Ben was interacted with, it was rang. But because the understanding was that we referred to the building, it's the understanding that wins.

If we go back to the Trial of Kyle Bosman, we actually see this used as an argument as far as contracts are concerned. It matters more what both parties understand what the contract is when it is signed, rather than what the technical wording actually means, and the same should be true for bets when committing to them.

"No" should have won the FFVII bet. No question.

Also: the Rainy Day Ian cameo at the end. *chef kiss*

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
All the bets under dispute were going to go the council too, but I guess we have to keep the theme of ignoring clarifications going.

Damiani should hold a 5 minute internal monologue in protest. Channelling Phil's performance in Kingdom Hearts 3.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium

Case closed.
Even if I don't agree with you (and that definition is just semantics), it doesn't matter as Kyle said that the bet wouldn't count if it was announced at the concert and it was. So that makes the whole bet false even if it was "announced" again afterwards (yes, I can do the same type of rulefuckery that Kyle loves to do).

It could have been "announced" an other 100 times, but it wouldn't count as it was announced at the concert, which made the bet void.

I also believed "Nintendo" would have been said during the Microsoft Press Conference.
Huber stated that the tie goes to the "believers".
If you count that type of logic, everything should have been undecided.
If Kyle ever gets called to jury duty he should bring the tape of Huber swaying him to both sides of an argument in the span of one minute to get disqualified immediately.
I don't think a lot of swaying had to be done once he noticed he could screw over Damiani.

Last edited:

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't watched the results show yet but my interpretation of Kyle saying an announcement at the concert wouldn't count is that if the date was only announced at the concert and not shown during the press conference it would not count for the bet. Not that an announcement during the concert nullifies an announcement during the press conference.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I haven't watched the results show yet but my interpretation of Kyle saying an announcement at the concert wouldn't count is that if the date was only announced at the concert and not shown during the press conference it would not count for the bet. Not that an announcement during the concert nullifies an announcement during the press conference.
Sure, but that's not what he said. It's the same type of logic that most people feel like an announcement can only made once while other people say that it's technically not true, most people feel like this is what was meant.

For me, something can only be announced once (and I believe it was implied that Kyle thought the same thing), which made the bet not true because it was announced at something that specifically was stated wouldn't count. If you go with the fact that something can be announced more than once, you should also literally use Kyle saying that the bet wouldn't count if it was shown at the concert.

The same type of wordfuckery was also used by Kyle to not stream ALttP after he lost his bet a couple of years ago, so there is no reason for it not being count like this. He for sure stated that it the whole bet wouldn't count if it was announced at the concert, it doesn't matter if he meant it like that or not.

There just is a big problem if the judge and the executioner are the same person and that person also has a horse in the race.

Edit:
And again, I do think the correct actual bet probably won. It's just the way it was done I'm not ok with because of Kyle's answer to Damiani and because of the "dreamers" explanation, which makes my blood boil as it means anything can win at any moment even if it didn't happen. Something like that makes it impossible to bet again as it makes it possible for them to change every outcome on a whim. It took a lot of fun out of the betting special for me to be honest.

I just absolutely can't stand liars (never could), they piss me of too much (and it's probably the main reason why I got so upset about it when I saw the video). It makes me not want to believe anything anymore when Kyle speaks.

I still enjoyed watching it, but I didn't really care for the outcome any more. I also don't like the monologues stakes, but I know I'm in the minority for that, so I'm fine with them. I usually don't like their stakes to much anyway (as they usually make me feel uncomfortable). Not sure yet if I'm going to watch next week.

Last edited:

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What? When did they talk about this?
Kyle said he's going to Gamescom for sure during his Game Boy stream. I didn't hear him mention Huber, but maybe this recent thing they're doing is related somehow.

Yeah, Huber isn't 100%, but he wasn't at the studio Friday because he was meeting Keighley with Bosman and Bosman is saying he's going to Gamescom and Keighley is running the Gamescom press conference. So just joining the dots.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
They won't do a betting special if they are working there with Keighley though (or at least Huber and Kyle won't, maybe the others will).

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but that's not what he said. It's the same type of logic that most people feel like an announcement can only made once while other people say that it's technically not true, most people feel like this is what was meant.

For me, something can only be announced once (and I believe it was implied that Kyle thought the same thing), which made the bet not true because it was announced at something that specifically was stated wouldn't count. If you go with the fact that something can be announced more than once, you should also literally use Kyle saying that the bet wouldn't count if it was shown at the concert.

The same type of wordfuckery was also used by Kyle to not stream ALttP after he lost his bet a couple of years ago, so there is no reason for it not being count like this. He for sure stated that it the whole bet wouldn't count if it was announced at the concert, it doesn't matter if he meant it like that or not.

There just is a big problem if the judge and the executioner are the same person and that person also has a horse in the race.

Edit:
And again, I do think the correct actual bet probably won. It's just the way it was done I'm not ok with because of Kyle's answer to Damiani and because of the "dreamers" explanation, which makes my blood boil as it means anything can win at any moment even if it didn't happen. Something like that makes it impossible to bet again as it makes it possible for them to change every outcome on a whim. It took a lot of fun out of the betting special for me to be honest.

I just absolutely can't stand liars (never could), they piss me of too much (and it's probably the main reason why I got so upset about it when I saw the video). It makes me not want to believe anything anymore when Kyle speaks.

I still enjoyed watching it, but I didn't really care for the outcome any more. I also don't like the monologues stakes, but I know I'm in the minority for that, so I'm fine with them. I usually don't like their stakes to much anyway (as they usually make me feel uncomfortable). Not sure yet if I'm going to watch next week.

In all honesty, I think they only supported the dreamers because the stakes were non-existent and because their vote is more representative of the spirit of the bet. Due to Huber's HUGE win, everyone was going to have to do a five minute monologue no matter what. It just doesn't effect anything. If anything was on the line they would have gone with the correct ruling, as it was VERY clear that an announcement at the concert would not count.

That is coming from a guy who wagered HEAVILY on the remake not getting a release date. I should have won that bet based on how it was clearly outlined, but my cynicism still proved to be unwarranted.

I think it is more of a no harm, no foul situation. It is all just for fun.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
We saw several creatures do several ollies and I will burn this thread to the ground if justice is not served.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
In all honesty, I think they only supported the dreamers because the stakes were non-existent and because their vote is more representative of the spirit of the bet. Due to Huber's HUGE win, everyone was going to have to do a five minute monologue no matter what. It just doesn't effect anything. If anything was on the line they would have gone with the correct ruling, as it was VERY clear that an announcement at the concert would not count.

That is coming from a guy who wagered HEAVILY on the remake not getting a release date. I should have won that bet based on how it was clearly outlined, but my cynicism still proved to be unwarranted.

I think it is more of a no harm, no foul situation. It is all just for fun.
I know it didn't matter for the Allies' bets and Huber won fare and square. I also don't have a problem that I was wrong with my bet, as I didn't bet on the technicality as I didn't believe there would be a full release date (I do feel bad for the people who voted No because they thought it was going to be announced at the concert though). It's just that Daminani literally asked about what happened and they said it wouldn't count to turn that whole decision back after a week.

I probably would have been ok with a "real" council decision if the majority voted in favor (it would have been nice if they had shot a video of the "councilmeeting" as there were several bets that needed to go to the council). It was the way it was done that irks me, not the actual outcome of the vote.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I think being passionate is good but if you are legitimately upset about anything to do with this betting special then you really need to take a step back.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I think being passionate is good but if you are legitimately upset about anything to do with this betting special then you really need to take a step back.
Look, folks, you have to understand, MrMette pays his mortgage entirely in Don Bucks. He had a lot riding on this.
E3 bets worth literally nothing is serious business around these parts.
I get all of you and you're right. I know it's stupid to be pissed about something that's worth nothing.
I am not really upset about the bets itself, but I just can't stand the 180 to something he said himself in the betting special and the reasoning behind it.

I just can't stand liars or being lied to, it's something that has always pissed me off and I don't think that will ever change. It's something that always got a strong/almost uncontrollable (and unreasonable for most people) reaction out of me, including shouting to my boss and shouting to a teacher while bonking on the table.
Maybe this will soften your anger a bit

No, that doesn't change a thing for me.
I don't really care about the stakes of the bets, I usually have trouble watching them to begin with as I feel embarrassed for the people having to do that stuff.
I'm probably going to skip it anyway as I usually don't enjoy watching it. I'm also probably going to skip the "trial" if there is a new one, because this one isn't worthy of being a trial. It's just for the views anyway if that was their play all along. I'm not watching it.

I don't know if I will change my mind before next year, I probably will as it always was one of my favourite things they do, but EZA bets are dead to me at this moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.