• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
Is Kyle not reading a meme or actually for real?
I believe it's true.
It's actually surprisingly common, at least in the U.S. where the data I've seen comes from. Almost half of all college graduates never read a book again after graduating. 8 out of 10 families didn't read a single book in the year preceding the study.
That was eight years ago, and I highly doubt that the increasing omnipresence of tablets and smartphones since then has pushed those numbers towards more book reading.

Last edited:

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I think I can count on one hand the number of books I've read since I graduated high school 8 years ago. I mostly read articles and wikipedia entries.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
I was looking for solace, not more reasons to be sad
WxOeGFa.gif

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
It's actually surprisingly common, at least in the U.S. where the data I've seen comes from. Almost half of all college graduates never read a book again after graduating. 8 out of 10 families didn't read a single book in the year preceding the study.
That was eight years ago, and I highly doubt that the increasing omnipresence of tablets and smartphones since then has pushed those numbers towards more book reading.

I feel like most people in my friends group either read atleast a book a month or havnt read a book in a decade, theres not a lot of middle ground.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I've finished a book (not counting comics or manga) since high school. I've bought and started a handful, but haven't got far. I'm listening to It right now though haha.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
I ready maybe one or two books a year (sometimes 3 if I get on a roll), but my wife is already up to roughly 40 books this year already.

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
I used to read loads but am now lucky to read 10 books a year. I blame the Switch for that since my old book reading time (while my son monopolises the PS4) now tends to be handheld Switch time.

Last edited:

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I like to read and I wish I did it more. I've been thinking about getting a Kindle because I feel like the convenience would get me to buy more books and read more.

legendofgood

Oct 25, 2017
Can anybody help me out? I believe there have been two episodes of the main podcast when they've played the 'Ian Dating Game' (where each ally is a game, and Ian has to ask questions to guess which game it is).

I can't remember which episodes these are! Does anybody know? They were hilarious.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
Can anybody help me out? I believe there have been two episodes of the main podcast when they've played the 'Ian Dating Game' (where each ally is a game, and Ian has to ask questions to guess which game it is).

I can't remember which episodes these are! Does anybody know? They were hilarious.
i dont remember but you just reminded me and they really were hilarious

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

So, ShockorScoff.com is coming soon. It will go live with the E3 2019 Betting Special (I don't see it on the calendar yet but I'm keeping my eyes peeled).

I want to keep most of it a secret at this point since I think it will be neat if I don't get too detailed, but I wanted to make sure one thing is OK. The site will record your chosen bets onto a PNG and will spit out an Imgur embed URL (or, in the case that the Imgur API fails us, you may have to upload on your own). The dimensions are 640px x 615px, like so (this is an older, wiped template, but those dimensions are the smallest I could do with it still being readable):

Z076cKB.png

Are there any rules against/concerns about multiple image embed posts in a row on ResetEra, specifically the Betting Special OT?
This is fantastic! And assuming that it's one image per post from different users, this should be fine.

Do we know what the plan for the Betting Special OT is, btw?

56:28
36:35
I think these are the only ones. Can't remember there being any more.

May 30, 2018
This is fantastic! And assuming that it's one image per post from different users, this should be fine.

Do we know what the plan for the Betting Special OT is, btw?

Awesome- was almost about to shoot you a PM so thanks for the confirmation! I've never done an OT but would be willing to take that on or at least provide whoever will be putting it together with anything I might be able to help with.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
Could anyone point me to the first instance of the dating game? It's still my favourite one of the bunch, but all I know is that it was early-ish 2019.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
When they were wondering about the Sony marketed third party games being at Microsoft they should have remembered Keighley is producing a big live Gamescom show this year. I'm sure Geoff is more than happy to have a few of those games at his event. Who knows if the impact would be the same than E3, maybe it's even better because of less competition and closer release dates, but anyway that's a great new venue to showcase your game this year.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Please take the moderator off your ignore list
559906280362213391.png

Awesome- was almost about to shoot you a PM so thanks for the confirmation! I've never done an OT but would be willing to take that on or at least provide whoever will be putting it together with anything I might be able to help with.
Hmmm, thinking about it, we don't even know when the betting special is going to drop, so creating an OT ahead of time might not make much sense. I suspect someone will just create the thread when the video gets posted. Also, I'm guessing you'll have to watch and populate the site with the questions, which might take some time. Maybe the thing to do is to post the site in the thread when you're ready, and then PM me (I can probably edit it into the OP for more visibility).

Speaking of OTs though, we will need an EZA E3 OT. I'm not sure anyone's said they're doing that yet. 👀 I can help out too but I have no art skills xp. This is the one by Hasney last year for reference: https://www.resetera.com/threads/easy-allies-e3-2018-ot-alls-im-saying-is.46951/

May 30, 2018
Hmmm, thinking about it, we don't even know when the betting special is going to drop, so creating an OT ahead of time might not make much sense.
Also, I'm guessing you'll have to watch and populate the site with the questions, which might take some time

I've got a little head start. Not as much as I'd like- some of what you said applies...will send a PM shortly.
Speaking of OTs though, we will need an EZA E3 OT. I'm not sure anyone's said they're doing that yet. 👀 I can help out too but I have no art skills xp. This is the one by Hasney last year for reference: https://www.resetera.com/threads/easy-allies-e3-2018-ot-alls-im-saying-is.46951/

Also for this. Though if someone else would rather do it, I don't need to do both

Last edited:

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Easy Update was posted early on Patron, but the video isn't available yet.
Description:
Hi everyone,
This week I just talked about the deaths of my parents and the grieving process. It's a candid talk, kind of just through some of my thoughts about it. I don't know if it will be helpful to watch, but I hope it is. I filmed this on Wednesday but I will have had my dad's funeral today, on the 1st.
L&R
Ian

ShadyK54

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Easy Update was posted early on Patron, but the video isn't available yet.
Description:
Hi everyone,
This week I just talked about the deaths of my parents and the grieving process. It's a candid talk, kind of just through some of my thoughts about it. I don't know if it will be helpful to watch, but I hope it is. I filmed this on Wednesday but I will have had my dad's funeral today, on the 1st.
L&R
Ian

Here we are:

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I genuinely cannot comprehend disliking a video about this. Why are those people even watching EZA?
Yeah, tell me about it. You would think that given how much Eza focus on Love an respect, especially Ian, that the community would be free of people like that.

I don't know, maybe they just disliked it as support in a weird way but knowing this world probably not.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Heavy stuff. I love that easy allies is willing to allow moments like these. Everyone behind the scenes are real people and we all have real lives. We miss Ian when he's gone, but grieving is important. Thanks everyone at EZA for supporting your fellow ally.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
I genuinely cannot comprehend disliking a video about this. Why are those people even watching EZA?
Some people might not want this kind of heavy candidness from their entertainment. It doesn't mean they don't sympathise, just that they might have preferred normality as opposed to the exceptional video.

Not saying that this is definitely the reason and people didn't just dislike it out of spite. But I can sympathise with people that simply don't like the video.

Oct 27, 2017
Some people might not want this kind of heavy candidness from their entertainment. It doesn't mean they don't sympathise, just that they might have preferred normality as opposed to the exceptional video.

Not saying that this is definitely the reason and people didn't just dislike it out of spite. But I can sympathise with people that simply don't like the video.

Losing one's parents or guardians is a "normal" enough thing, though. You don't realize how many people you interact with where it's already happened for them, some when they were very young.

The mindset of "keep people and their issues out of my entertainment - just dance for me the way I want you to, when I want you to - and why haven't you been around to do so" is unfortunate. Despite the increasing capability of being able to access content at a moment's notice to satisfy momentary whims, for free even, It's still people that make the entertainment. Relating to people, even during unfortunate times, increases your ability to enjoy more forms of entertainment from more people.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
That video was very weird for me to watch because I usually am very laid back when dealing with death. I am lucky enough to only have one grandfather die on me (even though I suspect this won't last too long any more with all my other grandparents being as old as they are), but even though I really enjoyed being with him and I obviously wish he wouldn't have died, I was actually way too sober about it if you compared it to anyone else figuring that this is a normal thing to happen. It made me feel weird, like I had no soul or something.

But for some reason I had a lot more trouble watching this video as I felt really bad for Ian, probably more than I felt when it happened to me (granted, a grandparent dying is probably nothing compared to a parent or sibling). It must take a lot of courage to release a video like this, especially with how some people like to comment on everything Ian does (which is probably the reason of some of these dislikes). I said it on here before, but I wish Ian all the strength needed to deal with this terrible loss.

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
When I read the comments here I was expecting a like/dislike ratio of 70:30 at best. Yeah... why is this a discussion again?

Mr Arsenal

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a regular watcher of Easy Allies but I just watched Ian's video because my dad recently passed away after a long term illness as well. A few things he said resonated with me about the relief of seeing the suffering be over and the lack of regrets over our relationship. Everyone grieves differently but I think the one realisation I had is how kind and generous the people around you really are in these difficult moments. I think it speaks incredibly well of the rest of the Allies that they gave Ian the opportunity to share his feelings on the channel. It should only strengthen the bond between the guys and the community in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.