• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Sure but at the same time it seems equally weird to hand waive away the violence because the graphics are no longer cutting edge and then turn around and get up in arms about the sex acts depicted in the same games.
Just to clarify, and I apologise because I know the conversation has moved on, but I personally agree that both the violence and sexual imagery in God of War is probably too much for kids (depends on the age), I have more of an issue with people who dismiss all criticism of sexualisation in video games by comparing it to violence, when, in my eyes, they are two very different discussions.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate it as a Patron exclusive, but MAN, Achieve it Yourself is exactly the type of tightly-edited easily-digestible group show in which Easy Allies is sorely lacking. It should be a weekly show for good.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate it as a Patron exclusive, but MAN, Achieve it Yourself is exactly the type of tightly-edited easily-digestible group show in which Easy Allies is sorely lacking. It should be a weekly show for good.

Yeah, they've only got like 2 shows that are usually on the shorter side of things (huber syndrome and easy update) + reviews and stuff. Everything else is usually an hour or two long, or more. Stuff like AIY would be great to add to that rotation.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany

It'd be an interesting candidate for a regular show because, even if it was free for everyone, it'd still have that build-in incentive to become a Patreon so you're able to pitch in your ideas for achievments you'd like to see the Allies try, which previous short-run exclusive series didn't have at all (First Fifteen) or to a more limited degree (higher hurdle of participation in the case of And For That Reason).

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
A little bit disheartening to not see the patreon needle move (positively).
Maybe there will be an uptick in the next few days but I feel they might have reached their full audience and unless there is a paradigm shift (I just wanted to say it XD), things will kinda stay the same.
Gotta say, I really like more than 80% of what they produce though, so I'm not complaining or saying they should change.

Oct 27, 2017
Blood is a puzzle and strategic mastermind lol

Really liked Achieve it yourself, helps that I don't play Nintendo games so everything is even more interesting to watch.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe there will be an uptick in the next few days but I feel they might have reached their full audience and unless there is a paradigm shift (I just wanted to say it XD), things will kinda stay the same.
Gotta say, I really like more than 80% of what they produce though, so I'm not complaining or saying they should change.
The free episode was good but the push for patreon after it was a bit weak. Why not have 'patreon.com/easyallies' written on the screen while Kyle talks about it for example. They could have also shown a very small clip of ep2 (like 2 sec of reactions) after his speech for example.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah i dont get it neither. The exclusive shows all have this tight editing that fans love. Having exclusive shows is a smart idea of course, but i dont understand why this tight type of editing is ONLY in their exclusive shows

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
You get Bosman and Brad in a room and "dude" starts flying everywhere. Add in Huber during group streams and it starts to become obnoxious.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
You get Bosman and Brad in a room and "dude" starts flying everywhere. Add in Huber during group streams and it starts to become obnoxious.

The usage of "dude" can, at times, get a little out of hand. One of my friends got the impression that the Easy Allies must be a bunch of dudebros after listening to one of the more casual podcasts while we were on a road trip (we had a rotating setlist of podcasts during the trip).

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
We Californians aren't dudebros. This is just how we talk =(
which is probably why I didn't even notice it when I watched haha

Edit: I forgot to add that I thought Achieve it Yourself was fantastic! Really enjoyed it, and Blood is an absolute pro.

Oct 25, 2017
"Dude" is a beautiful and integral part of our Southern California lifestyle and I will not have it besmirched on this here gaming forum! Good day, sir! /s
Yeah, I didn't notice it either... But I imagine it can get pretty old...

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017

Lol come on, we are weeks away from E3. Bring this up afterwards when the needle doesn't move, but to suggest they've reached their full audience is folly.

Slow and steady wins the race. As long as the income is constant and sustainable, the gang will be just fine.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
It's too bad they fumbled the one full playthrough friday they did (not all their fault, tbf). It didn't really inspire confidence.

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Count me in with those people saying Achieve it Yourself should go for a bit of a longer run. Episode One was fantastic.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i dont get it neither. The exclusive shows all have this tight editing that fans love. Having exclusive shows is a smart idea of course, but i dont understand why this tight type of editing is ONLY in their exclusive shows

Because this is the editing that takes the most time, along with reviews and they have Ian who also produces his own content, Brandon who does voiceovers and a lot of business stuff, reviews and his own content and Don who's also working at Funhaus. There's only so many hours in a day, may as well use them for the show's people pay for.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Because this is the editing that takes the most time, along with reviews and they have Ian who also produces his own content, Brandon who does voiceovers and a lot of business stuff, reviews and his own content and Don who's also working at Funhaus. There's only so many hours in a day, may as well use them for the show's people pay for.
This was about how I was going to respond, so you took the words right out of my mouth.

I also wanted to add that it's great that Ben, Damiani and Bosman are also editting (some?) of their shows and I am sure there is a lot of improvement because of it in their editing skills (no complaints about it actually, they are doing a great job), but it will take some time before they will get as good as professional editors who have done this for years.

I am honestly not sure how people expecting it to change the patreon needle by a large margin. It will change it a bit for sure, but most people know about their patreon by now. I suspect that most people who aren't interested in using patreon won't be swayed by anything exclusive. The idea is good (and I love the exclusive shows), but I don't think that's how people work (or maybe it's just me and I'm projecting myself onto "people", I am usually not swayed by that kind of stuff).

Last edited:

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think that it's particularly thought of this way. It's just somewhat of a side effect of how these shows are conceptualized, the fact that Kyle's the producer, and that Ian's the editor. It helps too that they're limited-run series so they don't pile on to a permanent weekly workload.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
The usage of "dude" can, at times, get a little out of hand. One of my friends got the impression that the Easy Allies must be a bunch of dudebros after listening to one of the more casual podcasts while we were on a road trip (we had a rotating setlist of podcasts during the trip).
We Californians aren't dudebros. This is just how we talk =(
which is probably why I didn't even notice it when I watched haha

Edit: I forgot to add that I thought Achieve it Yourself was fantastic! Really enjoyed it, and Blood is an absolute pro.
"Dude" is a beautiful and integral part of our Southern California lifestyle and I will not have it besmirched on this here gaming forum! Good day, sir! /s
Yeah, I didn't notice it either... But I imagine it can get pretty old...
between EZA and Zero I say dude all the time now dude
Not gonna lie dude but dude Zero says it too much dude. He needs help dude x)
EeNgbSm.jpg

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
The only people who shit on the Zune are the people who never actually bothered to try it. It had superior software, excellent hardware quality, great UI and controls, and came with some of the best damned headphones ever made. I've been robbed multiple times, but the only person I hate is the person who stole my damned Zune.

Wiggy

Oct 26, 2017
EZA are at an all time high number of patrons now I think. Hopefully they'll go even higher when achieve yourself goes exclusive.

Do we know if they'll be doing a YouTube trailer for each ep like they do for spoiler mode? I think that could help move the needle even more

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Hope we are all prepared for 12 Easy Updates next year based around Play Date games, seems right up Ian's street:

All this dude talk:
giphy.gif

The only people who shit on the Zune are the people who never actually bothered to try it. It had superior software, excellent hardware quality, great UI and controls, and came with some of the best damned headphones ever made. I've been robbed multiple times, but the only person I hate is the person who stole my damned Zune.

I've nearly bought an old Zune a few times this year, should I bite the bullet?

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I bought a used 6th Generation Apple iPod Nano this week. The best way to enjoy podcasts and the old one's screen didn't work after 5 years of everyday use. Fuck the haters.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
I know, my most missed thing from GT. Even if they reach the current goal now it won't be the same.
We'll never get something like the FF7 and Shenmue streams again, even though they have this great studio. :(

I wasn't really aware of GT back in the day - how many of these full playthrough streams did they do back then - was it literally every Friday? I always see the same ones mentioned over and over - Shenmue, Until Dawn and FF7. If they did these fairly often and the only ones fondly remembered are a small handful, doesn't that lend credence to the fact that maybe some streams are just inherently better than others? I'm just saying there is still just as high a probability of the next FPF stream being an all-timer as it is being a dud. Writing off all future streams as never being of that quality again after having the studio for 4 months is bizarre to me, haha.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a used 6th Generation Apple iPod Nano this week. The best way to enjoy podcasts and the old one's screen didn't work after 5 years of everyday use. Fuck the haters.
I still use a 1st gen Nano that I use daily for podcast listening. It's been going on 13 years and I fear I may eventually be killed by its battery exploding in my chest pocket. For how reliable it's been all this time I'll chance it.

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't really aware of GT back in the day - how many of these full playthrough streams did they do back then - was it literally every Friday? I always see the same ones mentioned over and over - Shenmue, Until Dawn and FF7. If they did these fairly often and the only ones fondly remembered are a small handful, doesn't that lend credence to the fact that maybe some streams are just inherently better than others? I'm just saying there is still just as high a probability of the next FPF stream being an all-timer as it is being a dud. Writing off all future streams as never being of that quality again after having the studio for 4 months is bizarre to me, haha.
The FF7 FPF spanned months, and I think that's why it's legendary (and also their longest FPF to date). The RE streams are also very good, especially RE4 with Kyle and Huber. I think some have been lost to history because they weren't archived on YouTube, honestly. Like there's a four hour video of Kyle and Damiani playing NES Remix that's pretty great, but it's not on YouTube as far as I can tell. Just Twitch VOD.

But I think what people (and by people, I mean me) want isn't so much a Full Playthrough, but rather a jolly group stream that's a bit more substantial and focused than say the Tuesday night streams. When everyone is focused on finishing the fight together, it's highly entertaining (which is why I think Achieve it Yourself is so great, coupled with the great editing). Mingle that with jokes and off-the-cuff comments/hot takes, and you have the recipe for a pretty good stream, regardless of the game or how much is played. That REmake2 stream was so good with the gang because they were cheering each other on to finish each level, taking turns... it was so much fun. Like, I don't need them to sit through an entire Uncharted game as much as I just want them to get together, decide on a goal and try and achieve it together.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
Will concur that the RE full playthroughs are excellent. Can't wait for the full playthroughs goal to be hit. Probably my favorite thing they do.

Achieve It Yourself off to a fantastic start too, loved it. Wish it was a little longer though

sora87

Oct 27, 2017

Oh i'm not writing off the full playthroughs for the EZA era, i've enjoyed all the ones they've done so far.
The difference with the GT ones is it wasn't tied to a goal or time slot. They didn't do them all the time but a lot of fridays they'd play a random game through, and the ff7 and shenmue streams were on going and they just did them when they could. The EZA version now is one game per month, so we're not gonna see a playthrough in parts again it seems, as that would take 6-10 months. It was those GT streams where the crew really shined and you actually got to know them. I wouldn't have the connection with them i have now without those.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017

Yup, I had a zune and used it for a long ass time. Eventually it died due to being dropped a few dozen times over the years. It was literally falling apart. Also the headphones were great.

For people who wanted a premium mp3 player but didnt want to pay out the ass for an ipod with a large amount of storage zune was a godsend.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Oh i'm not writing off the full playthroughs for the EZA era, i've enjoyed all the ones they've done so far.
The difference with the GT ones is it wasn't tied to a goal or time slot. They didn't do them all the time but a lot of fridays they'd play a random game through, and the ff7 and shenmue streams were on going and they just did them when they could. The EZA version now is one game per month, so we're not gonna see a playthrough in parts again it seems, as that would take 6-10 months. It was those GT streams where the crew really shined and you actually got to know them. I wouldn't have the connection with them i have now without those.

Ahh yeah, I spaced and forgot those streams were completed over months' time...you're right, they definitely won't happen like that again. I think, not to single anyone out, that there was a segment of the community conflating a new studio with a new office space. Fortunately for EZA when you own your own company you don't have to "punch-in" at the office and stay there for the day, but perhaps unfortunately for that segment of the community, they expected the studio would be used in this way. At this point, EZA is still evolving so I know I probably sound like a broken record but I preach patience to everyone, because really this first half of the year has been a bit of a whirlwind. I think once they even finish studio additions and get Ian and Huber back, things may feel a little more familiar.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This new show is a great idea.

Bosman should kinda maybe stop artificially limiting it like that.

They're not "artificially limited", that's been the pitch for the Patreon exclusive shows since inception. Short run, then do another series of something else with that resource.

Oct 28, 2017
There's nothing I want more than a Huber and Matt Blair (with a sprinkling of Brad and Bosman) full play through of Shenmue III.

Never gonna happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.