• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

This is one of, if not the best review that Huber has ever written. Very well-paced, highlights the positives and the negatives. Even if you're not a fan of The Division, check this out. I know Huber has taken some criticisms to heart on his review style, and he should be damn proud of this one.

EDIT: And as always - don't read the comments!

Huber outdid himself, this is really nicely written review.

Perfect. We can begin the coup and usurp control of this thread while folks are snapped.

Impossible.

Oct 25, 2017
I've spent way too much time today trying to suss out this whole "snap" business. Goes to show how little I travel outside of this thread when on this site.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Great pick blood on Monkey Ball 2

The party games in 1 was my group of friends warm up games every time we'd meet up for our big all night gaming fests. With Target being our culmination

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, great group stream pick. Kinda hope Joker doesn't release before next week so we can do Takeshi's Challenge. Seems like that should be good fun.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, great group stream pick. Kinda hope Joker doesn't release before next week so we can do Takeshi's Challenge. Seems like that should be good fun.

Yeah.. all the streams they mentioned sound infinitely more fun than another 2 hours of smash just because one character comes out.
Just have a few matches with joker at the end of the stream.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah.. all the streams they mentioned sound infinitely more fun than another 2 hours of smash just because one character comes out.
Just have a few matches with joker at the end of the stream.
I would love that, honestly. No need for a full two-hour, non-Tournament stream of a game we've seen a lot of already. Especially when most everyone just defaults to their main after a few rounds and we barely see anything of the new character. A nice 30 minute chunk would suffice. For me, at least.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
I was one of the idiots pumping through Super Monkey Ball during the Group Stream Selection Committee days...to see it finally come to fruition and for everyone to have such a good time...feels good man.

Now to start the charge for a Monkey Target Tourney for EZ Livin' 2019!!

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is one of, if not the best review that Huber has ever written. Very well-paced, highlights the positives and the negatives. Even if you're not a fan of The Division, check this out. I know Huber has taken some criticisms to heart on his review style, and he should be damn proud of this one.

Just watched Huber's review and im honestly, disappointed which when it comes Huber is very rare. I rated the original Division an 8.0/10 at launch as a 100% solo lone wolf and the sequel completely destroys it in every way. The story is good (I would rate it a 7/10 compared to a 5/10 for the original) and the characters are decent but it's the locations of the story missions that are simply amazing. You can just see how much effort Massive put into them especially when compared to the original game. Side missions are also real good and hell, some of them have puzzles you have to solve in order to advance through the mission. Granted, none of them are difficult but just to see it implemented in a third person cover based shooter deserves props. Even the Dark Zones have an introduction mission in each of them that I soloed and even these were pretty good and this is where my disappointment comes from. The review barely if at all mentions this. I'm not going to spoil any of the locations but holy shit, they're damn good. And the end game is insane. Also, the amount of content is nuts, the fact that the game actually ran to near perfection at launch which you rarely if ever see even in off-line games, the world, the atmosphere, immersion, gameplay, shooting mechanics, etc. are all top tier. Even the music during missions is damn good. Add in all the depth when it comes to upgrading, loot, skills and then get more in-depth when the end game starts, just come on. Just seems like Huber missed mentioning and talking about some stuff. And this is all just from the viewpoint of a solo player. For me, barring Tidal Basin on Friday being a disaster which I highly doubt, The Division 2 is an easy 9.0/10. Simply an excellent game.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I see that the rerun mentions Walking Dead Final Episode. Did they stream this in the groupstream or only Super Monkey Ball?
I really don't want to see the Walking Dead as I plan on playing it in the future (I bought it just before Telltale went under, but didn't put in the time yet).

I suspect it's just a mistake in the title (or that they also plan on restreaming Hubers playthrough), but I just want to make sure I don't get spoiled.

Deleted member 13250

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched Huber's review and im honestly, disappointed which when it comes Huber is very rare.
It's okay dude not everybody has to respond the same way to games as everyone else. Huber mentions that 'pop in' really detracts from his experience, which I would think upsets more to the game including atmosphere, and to him probably means the game doesn't in fact "run to near perfection". You seem to view this differently and that's cool. I actually watched his review and thought it was focusing on it's negative aspects so much that I was surprised that it was an 8 lol.

I assume your issue is with him not going over more specifics in his review? Because it's not a big enough difference between an 8 and a 9 to be too disappointed. An 8 is a great score! I am enjoying this game a lot too btw :)

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
I see that the rerun mentions Walking Dead Final Episode. Did they stream this in the groupstream or only Super Monkey Ball?
I really don't want to see the Walking Dead as I plan on playing it in the future (I bought it just before Telltale went under, but didn't put in the time yet).

I suspect it's just a mistake in the title (or that they also plan on restreaming Hubers playthrough), but I just want to make sure I don't get spoiled.
Have you refreshed the window? Sounds like it's just "stuck" from whenever you opened it. No Walking Dead tonight.
EDIT: Oh I think I see. When they set up the rerun it's playing three streams back to back. The group stream, Pokemon White, then Walking Dead. You'll have plenty of time to get out.

Last edited:

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Have you refreshed the window? Sounds like it's just "stuck" from whenever you opened it. No Walking Dead tonight.
EDIT: Oh I think I see. When they set up the rerun it's playing three streams back to back. The group stream, Pokemon White, then Walking Dead. You'll have plenty of time to get out.
Thanks for the info.
I just saw the email Twitch sent me, which showed "Rerun - Group Stream, Pokemon White, Walking Dead Final Episode".
I usually watch the the stream later in the week (on youtube), so it's not going to be a problem.

I just wanted to be sure as I really don't want to get spoiled on the final season of The Walking Dead after all those years playing the games.

May 30, 2018
did a link to the Past break before the podcast? lol
I am almost positive it did not.
They record the podcast before the groupstream and Wario64s tweet seems from 9 hours ago.

if you're talking about the Best Buy listings, those were brought up on the stream - they were doubting their validity, but Kyle sounded like he was going to look into the info more (vs just taking chat's word for it)

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
if you're talking about the Best Buy listings, those were brought up on the stream - they were doubting their validity, but Kyle sounded like he was going to look into the info more (vs just taking chat's word for it)
It probably dropped during the stream. So it won't be in this weeks podcast episode.
It's probably for the best to get some more info first.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Super Monkey Ball 2 is one of the greats, streaming it, doubly so. Takeshi's Challenge is an absolute must.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched Huber's review and im honestly, disappointed which when it comes Huber is very rare. I rated the original Division an 8.0/10 at launch as a 100% solo lone wolf and the sequel completely destroys it in every way. The story is good (I would rate it a 7/10 compared to a 5/10 for the original) and the characters are decent but it's the locations of the story missions that are simply amazing. You can just see how much effort Massive put into them especially when compared to the original game. Side missions are also real good and hell, some of them have puzzles you have to solve in order to advance through the mission. Granted, none of them are difficult but just to see it implemented in a third person cover based shooter deserves props. Even the Dark Zones have an introduction mission in each of them that I soloed and even these were pretty good and this is where my disappointment comes from. The review barely if at all mentions this. I'm not going to spoil any of the locations but holy shit, they're damn good. And the end game is insane. Also, the amount of content is nuts, the fact that the game actually ran to near perfection at launch which you rarely if ever see even in off-line games, the world, the atmosphere, immersion, gameplay, shooting mechanics, etc. are all top tier. Even the music during missions is damn good. Add in all the depth when it comes to upgrading, loot, skills and then get more in-depth when the end game starts, just come on. Just seems like Huber missed mentioning and talking about some stuff. And this is all just from the viewpoint of a solo player. For me, barring Tidal Basin on Friday being a disaster which I highly doubt, The Division 2 is an easy 9.0/10. Simply an excellent game.

I'm happy you like the game, but I mean, the main point is that Huber spent sufficient time on what he considered as flaws in the game instead of only focusing on the positives, something for which he has drawn the ire of a subset of EZA fans. I think the scoring tracks, if Huber gave RE2 Remake a 9, then clearly in his eyes TD2 would be lower, but in the end the numbers are arbitrary - it's the content of the review that should convince perspective buyers, and I felt this one in particular really laid it out what to expect - without spoiling puzzles and leaving other nice surprises for players.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
What's the highest number of viewers EZA has got in Twitch, I assume it's during E3? Is this site accurate, it says 14993. https://twitchstats.net/streamer/easyallies/alltime

Yeah you can also sort the streams by highest viewers. I'm not sure which year it was, since there are 4 E3s listed and the highest one doesn't list a year... But I think it's safe to say it was probably 2018 considering how much higher it is than all the other years.

Cxalo9H.jpg

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah you can also sort the streams by highest viewers. I'm not sure which year it was, since there are 4 E3s listed and the highest one doesn't list a year... But I think it's safe to say it was probably 2018 considering how much higher it is than all the other years.

Cxalo9H.jpg
So the game with the highest viewership has been Monopoly.

As it bloody well should.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I'm seeing lots of new names in this thread since the snap. I wonder how many of these people are alt accounts lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. Gonna get real nit-picky here, so ignore me if you don't care: Both Frame Trap and now the podcast are overexposed. It's not SO overexposed to look unwatchable, but it's overexposed enough to look not-great. Brandon's forehead alone could light up a room, it's so bright. Not sure if it's because the lighting setup/positioning in the grid changed for Mysterious Monsters (or something else) or if it's just in-camera and they didn't adjust the f-stop.

EXAMPLES:
Screen%20Shot%202019-04-03%20at%2012.52.24%20PM.png

Looking at Ben and Brandon's forehead will give you an idea of what I mean. You should see some reflection of the light, but not so much as to start to lose detail in the face, and Brandon's forehead in the bottom right shot would for sure be peaking if they had scopes to look at. Not to mention the loss of contrast in the background, where you can't distinguish between the wall and the LED light on the wall, unlike in the shot above it where you can clearly see the color difference. And the shot just looks washed out. The colors don't pop. Not a great look.

(Also like to note that while I put "normal" on the top right, that shot is slightly underexposed as Kyle looks a bit too dark)

After making this, it seems the problem is mostly on the left side, which makes me think the lighting setup got altered and was never fixed. I have to think adjusting for Brandon's forehead in-camera would make Bosman too dark (as in the top right shot). But overall, yeah, the difference in lighting from the left to the right is very apparent.

I don't know why I'm bringing this up. Not like any of you non-Allies can fix it. But maybe highlighting it (ha! get it? sorry, bad joke) somewhere will get it seen by Blood or Ian and they can do something about it. I know you all have a lot to worry about, but my hope is that making your shows look great is as much a priority to you as is making your content great. To me, they go hand-in-hand.

Last edited:

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
It's not a huge deal to me personally, but Brandon and Blood are definitely a little shiny this week, it was immediately noticeable. I didn't catch it in Frame Trap, but I wasn't looking at the screen too often.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a huge deal to me personally, but Brandon and Blood are definitely a little shiny this week, it was immediately noticeable. I didn't catch it in Frame Trap, but I wasn't looking at the screen too often.
It's really not terrible, but my years of video production work made me a bit twitchy and I had to bring it up. One show overexposed? That's fine. But two? Now I'm concerned.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Ugh. Gonna get real nit-picky here, so ignore me if you don't care: Both Frame Trap and now the podcast are overexposed. It's not SO overexposed to look unwatchable, but it's overexposed enough to look not-great. Brandon's forehead alone could light up a room, it's so bright. Not sure if it's because the lighting setup/positioning in the grid changed for Mysterious Monsters (or something else) or if it's just in-camera and they didn't adjust the f-stop.

EXAMPLES:
p.png

Looking at Ben and Brandon's forehead will give you an idea of what I mean. You should see some reflection of the light, but not so much as to start to lose detail in the face, and Brandon's forehead in the bottom right shot would for sure be peaking if they had scopes to look at. Not to mention the loss of contrast in the background, where you can't distinguish between the wall and the LED light on the wall, unlike in the shot above it where you can clearly see the color difference. And the shot just looks washed out. The colors don't pop. Not a great look.

(Also like to note that while I put "normal" on the top right, that shot is slightly underexposed as Kyle looks a bit too dark)

After making this, it seems the problem is mostly on the left side, which makes me think the lighting setup got altered and was never fixed. I have to think adjusting for Brandon's forehead in-camera would make Bosman too dark (as in the top right shot). But overall, yeah, the difference in lighting from the left to the right is very apparent.

I don't know why I'm bringing this up. Not like any of you non-Allies can fix it. But maybe highlighting it (ha! get it? sorry, bad joke) somewhere will get it seen by Blood or Ian and they can do something about it. I know you all have a lot to worry about, but my hope is that making your shows look great is as much a priority to you as is making your content great. To me, they go hand-in-hand.

Maybe it's because I'm on mobile but your examples are not showing up for me.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I can't see the example pictures on desktop either, I just had the podcast going on my phone as I read it.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Probably been raised on a Cup or Q&A I haven't watched, but have they said anything about the blinking background light strips at all yet? Did they just get sold shit ones or is the whole studios electrics a bit iffy?

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's okay dude not everybody has to respond the same way to games as everyone else. Huber mentions that 'pop in' really detracts from his experience, which I would think upsets more to the game including atmosphere, and to him probably means the game doesn't in fact "run to near perfection". You seem to view this differently and that's cool. I actually watched his review and thought it was focusing on it's negative aspects so much that I was surprised that it was an 8 lol.

I assume your issue is with him not going over more specifics in his review? Because it's not a big enough difference between an 8 and a 9 to be too disappointed. An 8 is a great score! I am enjoying this game a lot too btw :)

That's another disappointment now that you bring it up. Huber mentions the negatives way more than the positives and I really just don't get how he glossed over the awesome story and side missions. Seriously, they're so damn good. The pop-in is more of a graphics/visual issue as opposed to the game running in terms of crashes/disconnects, etc. The pop-in is bad and noticeable but at the same time, if you're judging a game based on that, then the vast majority of games should be lowered a point. Also, since I always read about Huber having issues with his vision, how does he even notice the pop-in to begin with? LOL. :P Joking aside, majority of everything else in the game is so damn good, the pop-in is at worse a minor negative. But yeah, not as specific as I was expecting. Still a great score. Just think that it should be higher because it does what a sequel is meant to do which is improve in every aspect and The Division 2 definitely does just that.

I'm happy you like the game, but I mean, the main point is that Huber spent sufficient time on what he considered as flaws in the game instead of only focusing on the positives, something for which he has drawn the ire of a subset of EZA fans. I think the scoring tracks, if Huber gave RE2 Remake a 9, then clearly in his eyes TD2 would be lower, but in the end the numbers are arbitrary - it's the content of the review that should convince perspective buyers, and I felt this one in particular really laid it out what to expect - without spoiling puzzles and leaving other nice surprises for players.

Wait...fans have gotten mad at Huber for being positive or mentioning the positives in games? Huber is by far the most optimistic and positive person I have ever seen when it comes to games and that's why I like him. Yes, I want him to mention the negatives in games and if there's a major negative that lessens the overall experience, he should go into detail about it but other than that, would much rather see him focus on the positives.

As for REmake2, it's also a 9.0/10 for me but so is The Division 2 and Metro Exodus. Don't know why one of them would affect the other two when all three games are completely different genres and play differently. Don't understand why fans would even see it that way when one game has nothing to do with the others.

I can understand REmake2 to RE VII or The Evil Within 1 and 2. That, I can understand as it makes a lot more sense but comparing a 15 hour linear survival horror game to a 100+ hour online third person cover based shooter makes zero sense.

I'm disappointed that Huber didn't point out the story and side missions as much as he should have because they really are damn good. Blows away the first game and just way better than I was personally expecting. You can see the effort that Massive put into them. I played all the Invaded missions which is basically replaying the same missions and as someone who rarely if ever replays games, for me to do that and wait for the Tidal Basin update on Friday is saying something. And this is all based on me playing as a solo lone wolf.

With all of that said, I still like Huber and always will. Just wish he went more in-depth with how the story and side missions are presented and the locations of how they're setup and whatnot.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Probably been raised on a Cup or Q&A I haven't watched, but have they said anything about the blinking background light strips at all yet? Did they just get sold shit ones or is the whole studios electrics a bit iffy?
They've actually brought it up quite a bit on streams, definitely a couple Cup of Jones, one or two Easy Updates I think. Basically, it's a mystery. They've contacted the company and thought it was going to be fixed multiple times, I'm not sure what to extent (if they replaced it, just tried to repair it, or both), but it keeps happening.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
That's another disappointment now that you bring it up. Huber mentions the negatives way more than the positives and I really just don't get how he glossed over the awesome story and side missions. Seriously, they're so damn good. The pop-in is more of a graphics/visual issue as opposed to the game running in terms of crashes/disconnects, etc. The pop-in is bad and noticeable but at the same time, if you're judging a game based on that, then the vast majority of games should be lowered a point. Also, since I always read about Huber having issues with his vision, how does he even notice the pop-in to begin with? LOL. :P Joking aside, majority of everything else in the game is so damn good, the pop-in is at worse a minor negative. But yeah, not as specific as I was expecting. Still a great score. Just think that it should be higher because it does what a sequel is meant to do which is improve in every aspect and The Division 2 definitely does just that.

Wait...fans have gotten mad at Huber for being positive or mentioning the positives in games? Huber is by far the most optimistic and positive person I have ever seen when it comes to games and that's why I like him. Yes, I want him to mention the negatives in games and if there's a major negative that lessens the overall experience, he should go into detail about it but other than that, would much rather see him focus on the positives.

As for REmake2, it's also a 9.0/10 for me but so is The Division 2 and Metro Exodus. Don't know why one of them would affect the other two when all three games are completely different genres and play differently. Don't understand why fans would even see it that way when one game has nothing to do with the others.

I can understand REmake2 to RE VII or The Evil Within 1 and 2. That, I can understand as it makes a lot more sense but comparing a 15 hour linear survival horror game to a 100+ hour online third person cover based shooter makes zero sense.

I'm disappointed that Huber didn't point out the story and side missions as much as he should have because they really are damn good. Blows away the first game and just way better than I was personally expecting. You can see the effort that Massive put into them. I played all the Invaded missions which is basically replaying the same missions and as someone who rarely if ever replays games, for me to do that and wait for the Tidal Basin update on Friday is saying something. And this is all based on me playing as a solo lone wolf.

With all of that said, I still like Huber and always will. Just wish he went more in-depth with how the story and side missions are presented and the locations of how they're setup and whatnot.

Is it just perhaps possible he didn't love the game quite as much as you?

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
It's really not terrible, but my years of video production work made me a bit twitchy and I had to bring it up. One show overexposed? That's fine. But two? Now I'm concerned.
My guess is that it will stay like this as Ian isn't there for who knows how long.
I didn't notice it, but I tend to listen to the podcast/frametrap more than watch the full thing. I usually play games without sound (do my daily Forza Horizon 4 tasks, play some Soul Calibur VI or Play some Trials Rising) while listening to the podcast and I usually only watch a small part.

Hopefully somebody else can fix it, but my guess is that it will probably stay for a couple of weeks.

I think your examples are clear and I can totally understand how you notice that and how it can bother you, but it would probably not bother me as much (but that probably has to do with me only listening to large parts of the shows).

Edit:
I just started the podcast and I clearly see it now, but I'm unsure if it's this clear because of the comparison pics or not.

Last edited:

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
That's another disappointment now that you bring it up. Huber mentions the negatives way more than the positives and I really just don't get how he glossed over the awesome story and side missions.

He doesn't gloss over the "awesome story" though, he just doesn't agree that it's an awesome story.

Huber's Review said:
Of all the elements that comprise The Division 2, the story is its weakest link. Cutscenes and story revelations are surprisingly rare, while none of the featured heroes or villains receive much development beyond a handful of audio logs. With three free add-on episodes set to release over the coming year, it's painfully clear much of the plot has been held for future updates.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it just perhaps possible he didn't love the game quite as much as you?

It definitely is. Never said it wasn't. Just wish he went more in-depth. That's all.

He doesn't gloss over the "awesome story" though, he just doesn't agree that it's an awesome story.

I have the story and characters as a 7.0/10 (good) considering the game and what it's actual focus is. The original was a 5.0/10 for me. But I wasn't talking about the story itself. I was talking about the locations of where the story missions take place. I don't think that a single story mission was any less than good for me. I enjoyed them all which is rare for me. Loved the locations and even the Dark Zone introduction missions impressed me. I was like, holy shit, was not expecting the Dark Zone missions to be even decent let alone good or for the story and side missions to be as good as they were. The Division 1 had a few good story missions but Division 2 is like every one. My apologies though as I should have been clearer.

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is that it will stay like this as Ian isn't there for who knows how long.
I didn't notice it, but I tend to listen to the podcast/frametrap more than watch the full thing. I usually play games without sound (do my daily Forza Horizon 4 tasks, play some Soul Calibur VI or Play some Trials Rising) while listening to the podcast and I usually only watch a small part.

Hopefully somebody else can fix it, but my guess is that it will probably stay for a couple of weeks.

I think your examples are clear and I can totally understand how you notice that and how it can bother you, but it would probably not bother me as much (but that probably has to do with me only listening to large parts of the shows).

Edit:
I just started the podcast and I clearly see it now, but I'm unsure if it's this clear because of the comparison pics or not.
For me, it was immediately noticeable, but I know some folks aren't that tuned in so they won't notice (and might be more accustomed to that kind of image, since the internet is full of poorly exposed images) and that's fine. The video work I did was mostly recording people giving talks and lectures and doing in-studio interviews meant for broadcast television, so I'm very sensitive to blow-out, especially on skin. But I also know lighting is TRICKY. It's the most cumbersome thing to manage after audio (which is the worst), so I get it. With Ian gone, the recording stage probably hasn't had the care it needs, so I get it if nothing changes. But I felt I needed to say something--probably for my own sanity more than anything--so it hopefully can be fixed soon and improve the quality of future shows.

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
For me, it was immediately noticeable, but I know some folks aren't that tuned in so they won't notice (and might be more accustomed to that kind of image, since the internet is full of poorly exposed images) and that's fine. The video work I did was mostly recording people giving talks and lectures and doing in-studio interviews meant for broadcast television, so I'm very sensitive to blow-out, especially on skin. But I also know lighting is TRICKY. It's the most cumbersome thing to manage after audio (which is the worst), so I get it. With Ian gone, the recording stage probably hasn't had the care it needs, so I get it if nothing changes. But I felt I needed to say something--probably for my own sanity more than anything--so it hopefully can be fixed soon and improve the quality of future shows.

Yeah, i notice all the stuff you mentioned when i do check out the videos. I've mostly stuck to listening to audio podcasts lately since i do most of my listening while driving.

It seems to me that some of the issues can be fixed in their grading of the footage. Their skin tones and the overall color saturation seems to be a bit on the hot side, but that can also be from the quality of lights they use.

Status
Not open for further replies.