• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Probably voting for GoW. I love Portal but yeah, GoW is just an epic monster of a game. Doesn't really matter that it came out last year, it's great.
You can't really compare them though and i'd be fine seeing Portal take the spot.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can I just say I am so surprised they got to God of War before either BOTW or Persona 5 lol.
When do we know which of GoW or Portal they voted in?

MinionZero

Jan 14, 2018
I think the allies were really pushing to get Bloodborne in this time around. It almost got in twice (?), so it just needed a set of games which wouldn't eat its lunch. Watching everyone shocked that Deus Ex got banned, you can see that they love that game, but it was clearly a list of the top three-to-four games and not much else to rise. I think we're going to see Kyle pitch Link's Awakening again later in the year, but his presentation style which helped Tetris win last time was unable to get past the GoW hype and Portal delight.

Oh and voting for god of war in a heartbeat over portal. Who cares if it came out last year. It is an amazing game that will have an impact years forward

It might, and that's perfectly fine. My concern is that we're less than a year out of the game's release and weeks after it won GOTY for a number of outlets; it still has recency hype around it. I feel that if GoW wins this time around, there's a perfect opening to just submit the previous year's GOTY to the first HOG show of the next year and very possibly get it in. Will God of War 2018 be remembered as a Great two, three, five years down the line? Very likely. It just opens up potential focus on games that are riding the hype train too close to release rather than being legitimately Great. It also potentially turns HOG into another GOTY discussion. But I'm rambling and it is just for fun after all! :P

Whatever happens, it is very likely GoW, if it fails here, will get in next time.

ShadyK54

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Can I just say I am so surprised they got to God of War before either BOTW or Persona 5 lol.
When do we know which of GoW or Portal they voted in?

Kyle would've come after P5 too much and I highly doubt anyone besides Ben, Huber, or Brad would give it votes lol. BotW probably would've had a good chance.

Also, poll says a week, so next group stream.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, for me Portal is a timeless game and has stood the test of time and it's still amazing. God of War has not had that luxury and as such, despite how good it is, does not qualify on that alone.
There's a reason why Hall of Fames usually have a time limit on them, because recency bias is real.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kyle would've come after P5 too much and I highly doubt anyone besides Ben, Huber, or Brad would give it votes lol. BotW probably would've had a good chance.

Also, poll says a week, so next group stream.
I was under the impression everyone loves P5! Haha.
As for BotW I guess they're way too busy working their way through the older games to bring it up yet

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
In order to be considered for the rock and roll hall of fame it has to be 25 years since your first album was released. To get into the pro football hall of fame you have to be retired for 5 years. It's important to take your time and really consider if something is worthy of being called "one of the greats." I looked back at what games GT gave gotys to out of curiosity to see if I thought they were HOG worthy. Twilight princess, GTA 4 and uncharted 3 all stood out to me as games that were all very well received but do not stand the test of time. GTA 4 is especially hard to go back to.

I'm not saying that god of war does not deserve a spot in the HOG, I'm saying that we should wait and see how we feel about it in 2 years.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017

ShadyK54

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
After all the work I'm sure they're doing to get the studio up & operating, I'm cool with it not being a super mega stream to celebrate. There's also separate vids like EZU that'll probably happen to highlight it more.

Man, that potential EZU should be good.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Not letting a game in because of recency bias is as stupid as not letting a game in because of nostalgia, and pretty much all of the HoG inductees are nostalgia picks (though they are great games still). Hell, if BoTW was brought in I'm pretty sure it would have gotten into the HoG, and it's only a year older.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
In order to be considered for the rock and roll hall of fame it has to be 25 years since your first album was released. To get into the pro football hall of fame you have to be retired for 5 years. It's important to take your time and really consider if something is worthy of being called "one of the greats." I looked back at what games GT gave gotys to out of curiosity to see if I thought they were HOG worthy. Twilight princess, GTA 4 and uncharted 3 all stood out to me as games that were all very well received but do not stand the test of time. GTA 4 is especially hard to go back to.

I'm not saying that god of war does not deserve a spot in the HOG, I'm saying that we should wait and see how we feel about it in 2 years.

C'mon, they're both just ONE game. There is no "career" aspect. Comparing it to a real life Hall of Fame doesn't make much sense.

I'm fine with Portal getting in (although it's the second best Portal game, in my opinion), but introducing some rule that we should artificially marinate on a game doesn't make much sense when it passed their vote. I mean, besides Bloodborne, we don't have a game that is less than 15ish years old and zero western games (either Portal or God of War will break that streak). It's long past due they add some new blood to the hallowed Hall.

Pacify

Oct 30, 2017
I'll say as a viewer it's just less exciting to have GOTY and HOG be so close together and for the same game to (potentially) "win" both. I'd like for a 2 year rule to exist just for the entertainment factor. If the same thing happens next year it's ~12 hours of streaming that are predictable months ahead of time.

Half the allies normally nominate games that don't really have a chance of winning (which isn't an insult- it's entertaining, has introduced me to great games and shows off their individual tastes), nominating a game they all agreed was great a week or two prior is a winning strategy.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't the Allies supposed to stream a playthrough of their HoG winners a year after they were inducted? They did MGS on Easy Livin', and Bloodworth streamed Super Metroid, but I think they dropped the ball on this otherwise.

Edit: Found Damiani doing a "One of the Greats" stream VoD for Mario 64. That still leaves Bloodworth needing to stream Street Fighter II, Ian streaming Symphony of the Night and Damiani playing Ocarina of Time once again, as well as Brad and Kyle streaming Chrono Trigger and Pokémon Red/Blue respectively.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I know they prepared a few vids but i am baffled they are not doing a big ass launch stream marathon for the studio. It was asked many times on CoJ a few months ago when the studio was a lock and Jones answered with 'Of Course' , 'Yes we're gonna do all that!' etc.
Cause unless they wanna keep it secret or something, the last vibe i got is that its gonna be a usual 2-3h stream with 2-3 vids about the studio launch in between.
Maybe i missed something. I'm also surprised its not been announced anywhere as a Patreon post, tweet etc. but i guess they have a lot of work right now

Rezbit

Oct 26, 2017
I know they prepared a few vids but i am baffled they are not doing a big ass launch stream marathon for the studio. It was asked many times on CoJ a few months ago when the studio was a lock and Jones answered with 'Of Course' , 'Yes we're gonna do all that!' etc.
Cause unless they wanna keep it secret or something, the last vibe i got is that its gonna be a usual 2-3h stream with 2-3 vids about the studio launch in between.
Maybe i missed something. I'm also surprised its not been announced anywhere as a Patreon post, tweet etc. but i guess they have a lot of work right now

I get the impression they are busting their asses off to get it finished TBH. It'll probably be a longer stream than usual but I wouldn't expect them to do a 12 hour marathon or anything.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Voted for Portal cause God of War is way too fresh. Also Jones had the better presentation.

EDIT: This weeks Pro Strats Only was a great way to move on from the bit without addressing or conceding to the sour comments. Brilliant.

Last edited:

Jords

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2018
New Zealand
Not so related question to EZA. Anyone know how Shane's site is doing? Last I heard he to make a minimum amount or shut up shop.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not so related question to EZA. Anyone know how Shane's site is doing? Last I heard he to make a minimum amount or shut up shop.

Still going, still not hitting that amount and the last I saw of him was being salty to the EZA sponser Fantasy Critic like he invented the idea of fantasy drafts for games or something.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I can't believe someone even thought it was a good idea to make a case for God of War in the HoG, among Street Fighter II, Tetris, Super Mario 64, games that defined eras, while God of war is none of that: it's too fresh so we don't know how well it will age, it technically brought nothing new, artistically it is very similar to other Sony exclusives (while Portal has its own visual identity) and it has flaws.

To be fair i've thoughts about Bloodborne too, it feels an intruder on that list, but it was probably only a matter of time that the Allies started to vote for their favourite games instead of voting for the best games, so yeah yesterday they ruined HoG a little for me. It is probably going to be worse from now on since they will keep bringing up some new AAA release, only because it's the game of the year.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I think they are getting by (or at least trying to) with Twitch Prime subs next to their patreon. I am a patron of SIFTD as well because I always enjoyed Pach Attack, but it's honestly the only content of SIFTD I check. I would use the site itself a lot more if it had rss feeds. My RSS reader is actually the only way I usually check newswebsites.

So I guess they are scraping by. I liked Shane from what I have seen on GT (I guess only on Invisible Walls), but it's a bit sad if he was indeed complaining about Fantasy Critic. He should have created that website himself then. I will probably keep supporting them through patreon, but if they stop doing the Pachter thing, there isn't a lot for me any more either (I just don't have the time to watch their podcast, otherwise I probably would).

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very impressed by the rate of new subscribers on the EZA youtube channel. The last couple of days have been between 300 - 450 per day but even in quiet periods the rate of new subs is over 100 per day consistently. As a comparison I checked Giant Bomb and their rate of new subs is much less, usually half of EZA's daily uptick.

Wiggy

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I agree with everyone, very weird the first show will be a regular stream. Seems a missed opportunity, especially with the great twitch momentum recently. I guess they're just too busy, or worried things won't work etc.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I agree that HoG doesn't have convoluted enough rules and systems. Anti-chips are a good start, but it could be taken way further. Maybe you can spend some of the werehogs of your own game on buying a randomised power-up. Something like a shield, the ability to vote on your own game, anti-chips, or earning one random game 5 bonus points, swapping the contents of one game's votes for another. Basically Mario Party nonsense. Maybe also something that can spice up some of the softball questions and answers. Some audience participation werehogs would also be good.

Maybe also something to prevent the same person from bringing the same game over and over again. The Zero Votes thing is supposed to prevent that, but it doesn't really do its job well enough. Bloodborne and Mega Man Legends popped up a little too often already, and the presentations got worse each time, I. Like maybe an additional rule that prevents someone from bringing a game back if they were the last person who brought it the last time. If it's a worthy game, someone else will bring it anyway.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
ianskittlesm8jw4.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.