• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Era's very own Feep decided to do God's work and introduce Easy Allies' Ian Hinck to one of the greatest games ever made, Final Fantasy IX.

It will be one of the jolliest 30+ minutes you watch this week.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Game holds up replayed it after over 10 years recently only 2 trophies left for the plat.
It's really an amazing game and the remaster speed additions are so so good. I def would have enjoyed my time less if I had to struggle with slow menuing and slow everything.

Oct 26, 2017
The difference in the 3d character models between this and VII is remarkable.
Also, I hope the next retro trend is pre rendered backgrounds.

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Game holds up replayed it after over 10 years recently only 2 trophies left for the plat.
It's really an amazing game and the remaster speed additions are so so good. I def would have enjoyed my time less if I had to struggle with slow menuing and slow everything.

Yeah I also platinumed this game a while back on the PS4 and I am still enjoying it as much as I did when it first came out. It's cool that Ian seems to be into it, and the mods are making the game more beautiful than ever. Hope we'll get a part two soon.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Those AI upscaled backgrounds look really good. It's too bad nothing can be done about the 15fps framerate lock during combat.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
.. didnt mean it that way. There's an Easy Allies thread in Hangouts and i thought it wasn't allowed to make threads on here about regular episodes.
Nah, you can. Obviously don't flood the forum with threads, hah. The odd thread here and there is fine, though.

Seriously, I just want to replay the game now. Haha.

One of the most charming games ever.
I really need to get back to it. I enjoyed what I played. I'm hoping to play through all of the FF games I haven't finished/played this year. I'll start with IX.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
holy shit that ai upscaled background is no fucking joke. Wish SE would use whatever that is and patch it into the switch version

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
The upscaling is insane. Why can't Square do that themselves? I have the PS4 version and stopped playing because it was so ugly (plus the lack of true analog controls).

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I don't use the music mod because I find it clashes too much and I love the old music as is, but the rest of that mod is just stellar and I'm glad they're playing it that way. You truly did the lord's work with your font research, Feep.

Blugrass

Oct 25, 2017
cant folkin wait to replay this sucker with that upscale mod, it's been like 16 years since I last played..

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
are there any links to get that AI learning thing to work with the steam version of the game?

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Damn that upscale is the truth. To think we could have the game looking like that on Switch lol oh well

Also FFIX has to have one of the most crowd pleasing openings of a game: the play and the little moments with Vivi.

Hope IX gets a remake like VII.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
The FF9 opening section is still one of my favourites in the entire medium. The cutscenes make the world feel so grand and lively, and they weave it in and out of gameplay so well. Even the FMVs are integrated so well, though I think those worked better using the original PS1 resolution, since those limitations masked some of the transitions a little better. I also love just how many hidden pick-ups there are in Alexandria. You learn early on that the areas are worth exploring.

Finally, Jason's clearly a person with refined taste. FF9 has the most premium of Moogles. They've got jobs, they've got relationships, they move around, they have opinions on stuff around them, they make little homes, etc. 10/10 Kupo-ing.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Ooof those music arrangements lose a lot of the feel of the original songs. They're not *bad*, but I wouldn't recommend them for a first playthrough.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if I agree with using fan arranged versions of the music!

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion here, but I never really saw the appeal of FF9 - I loved 7 and 8, and going from the more realistic style to this super-deformed knights and people with monkey tails look didn't interest me at all. I never actually ended up playing it. I didn't play any of the games before 7 though which I'm guessing are more close to this sort of style.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion here, but I never really saw the appeal of FF9 - I loved 7 and 8, and going from the more realistic style to this super-deformed knights and people with monkey tails look didn't interest me at all. I never actually ended up playing it. I didn't play any of the games before 7 though which I'm guessing are more close to this sort of style.

Final Fantasy can be many things. They were just going back to the roots of the series before 7.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
THE best game ever made and every time someone plays it for the first time humanity gets closer to some god's light.