• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Lucasfilm are considered making a movie or tv series with the old republic , you don't think they will consider a new game to tie in with that? I do.

Until then sit tight.

Also note that all story details have to go through lucasfilms story group in order for Everything to match to cannon so its gonna take longer per game

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not going to pretend to know what happens behind the scenes but the EA exclusivity for the Star Wars franchise is probably one of the worst decisions for everyone involved.

Over halfway through the contract and barely anything to show for it. From space wizards dueling with swords of light to spaceships dogfighting to gigantic battlefields, you think there would be plenty of ideas to multiple genres..

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Honestly, they can keep it.

I am kind of done with star wars for the next couple years. Just overkill at this point.

I want new universes, stories, and games set in them. They just need to be well thought out and developed. Gameplay can be king but world building and story should inform it all.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
LucasArts were able to pump out so many diverse Star Wars games because they were willing to publish externally developed titles in addition to their internally developed games. EA are quite capable of doing this too but seem to want everything Star Wars to be internally developed.
Back then development costs were a fraction of what they are now. Aside from the question of how many independent studios are capable of making a big AAA SW game today, if EA contracted one of those they'd have to pay them royalties, which means lower margins, and they already have lower margins due to the license. That would be poor business. The correct choice is to do them internally, though of course not fucking it up internally is even better.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Ya'll still talkin bout shooters and RPGs.

All us vets ever wanted was X-Wing 2 and Tie-Fighter 2. Oh and X-Wing Alliance 2.

hey you. gimmie moar X-Wing and Tie Fighter
Indeed.

If design is nice and compact without unnecessary things like walking as character or ground combat, it should be quite doable..
One of the great things in old games was that the experience was instilled to the most essential things and did it well.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It's a huge missed opportunity for sure. I bet they have minimum annual payments to Disney too, so having to cancel a game would not be an easy decision.

Anthem vs KOTOR - Bioware has been clearly struggling for years, so it seems optimistic that if they had made a SW game instead of Anthem that it would have been awesome. As at least one person noted too, Anthem has no licensing costs and EA owns the IP. If it had been successful, that would be far more valuable to them than a SW game.

Visceral - It's clear that much of the talent had already gone. They were in one of the most expensive locations in the world, making a SP only game that was obviously running way behind schedule and budget, or they wouldn't have cancelled it. Maybe the high profile names they brought in weren't as strong as EA expected?

Who else could have done the SW deal? Disney got out of AAA about a decade ago, closed down multiple studios, precisely because they didn't want this kind of risk. Ubi? They prefer to own their franchises. Activision? Maybe, but I don't know who'd work on it, since everybody is on CoD. Who else is big enough?
from software could have done it

you'd basically just need lightsabers and a sci-fi setting to sekiro and you have a star wars game

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Making games is hard. Even without having to please one of the largest franchise fan bases.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Bioware was way too loaded with work to take on KOTOR. Anthem has been long in production and they were already busy with Mass Effect and Dragon Age game work too, with Anthem in the background, they were never going to get a KOTOR made.

As for bioware doing SWTOR over another KOTOR, that was long ago Lucasarts decision, not EA's. Bioware wanted to do KOTOR 3 but Lucasarts who at the time was still calling the shots on the games, wanted a MMO and asked EA to make a Star Wars MMO for them, which turned into SWTOR. By the time EA got the rights to the franchise exclusive, bioware's hands were full already with multiple big projects.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah one of the biggest mysteries of gaming. But it's probably sheer greed. Single player games are almost dead to EA and they put all their eggs into the GaaS bucket. It didn't end well. At least there is hope with Jedi Fallen Order and maybe Battlefront 3 learning from past mistakes. They should also make KOTOR3 asap. It's such a no brainer, really baffling. And yes, we need new X-Wing games. Revive the genre with optional VR in the Battlefront engine. Most of the assets are already there. It's not that hard, EA!

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
1. They don't own the IP.

2. Licensing/royalty costs to Dinsey are expensive.

3. Star Wars doesn't sell that much better than their original IPs.

4. Harder to monetize SW through "live services" due to Disney's iron tight control of the IP and lengthy review process.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Jedi Fallen Order might be the last time I care about an EA Star Wars game and my excitement is barely there. If that ends up being a turd, I will completely lose interest in any new announcements (from EA at least).

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
So far EA has produced the two best selling SW games to date, by a large margin. They have struggled with SP entries, partially due to their business model, but that could change this year or maybe it won't and it will just reinforce their belief that they were right all along.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Am I just really deluded with this, or am I on the money in how much better even I or a Doe with a lame leg could handle this franchise and the games that are made to not only make gamers happy, but also maximize profit and keep shareholders pleased. I am deadset certain I could do a better job with my eyes closed.

Firstly, we learn that Bioware wanted to make KOTOR 3 and EA turned them down, instead opting to go with Anthem.....Yeah that is a real stroke of genius EA, but don't worry hindsight is 20/20, amirite? You incompetent turds. And how about remakes/remasters? Where are the Unreal 4 remakes of KOTOR 1 and 2 that would comfortably sell 5 million+ each? Where is the VR Pod Racer from Criterion that would move PSVR bundles like fresh 420 cookies in a Colorado bakery? Of course we already know you've got Respawn coming out with Jedi Fallen Order, the first single player story experience you've managed to dredge up since you got the license over 5 years ago, yet still haven't seen gameplay of 8 months from release...And lets not forget poor old Visceral Games and Star Wars 1313, a potential match made in heaven that you sent to a premature grave along with hundreds of jobs because driving a stake through the heart of quality studios is just something that you do, apparently. And let US not forget, the forgotten franchises like Rogue Squadron, Jedi Knight, Shadows of the Empire among many, many others.

I mean comeon, blow me down with a feather. Star Wars is the free kick to rule all free kicks, and EA have own goaled it in a manner that is frankly sickening to behold.

You Are looking this too rationally. Corporations are not like that. They are big unions created to maintain the power of big CEOs. Investing too much on other people IPs won't make sense in the long run. The important is to keep the big monster feed to everyone can keep their big salaries.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have liked every single EA Star Wars game I have played so far.
(Battlefront 1+2, Galaxy of Heroes)
And I am very excited for Jedi Fallen Order

I dunno, I think were doing pretty good but its not like I can just break every NDA I have so I get the outward impression.
I think you guys are doing a good job, we just want MORE lol

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
It's easy.

Because they are thinking "How can we make the most money out of a Star Wars game" instead of "How can we make a great and iconic Star Wars game".

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars games have always been tough to make. They were cursed long before the EA deal.
Why do people assume developing Star Wars games is easy?

People assume that Star Wars games are easy since they just assume that the games will automatically sell 5-10M units because "It's Star Wars". That has never actually been the case, and most of the old Star Wars games were not huge sellers, but did did well in a market when game budgets were far lower than they are today.

Cheeky Devlin

Oct 31, 2017
Ya'll still talkin bout shooters and RPGs.

All us vets ever wanted was X-Wing 2 and Tie-Fighter 2. Oh and X-Wing Alliance 2.

hey you. gimmie moar X-Wing and Tie Fighter

I would do unspeakable things for a new X-Wing/TIE Fighter style game. We'll never get one, which in this age of Star Citizen and Elite is crazy but I've made my peace with it. It'll be Rogue Squadron style stuff at best. (Not that RS is bad, but it's a very different type of game).

Anybody remember the Tiny Death Star?
...nobody?

Well I liked it
Tiny Death Star was awesome.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
People assume that Star Wars games are easy since they just assume that the games will automatically sell 5-10M units because "It's Star Wars". That has never actually been the case, and most of the old Star Wars games were not huge sellers, but did did well in a market when game budgets were far lower than they are today.
Exactly. Also, when a game needs to sell 10m+ in order to break even (because the IP rights are expensive) and the publisher knows it is unlikely, it relies on micro-transactions which of course leads to PR nightmares. Basically, developing licensed games in an age of already extremely high budgets isn't easy. Games like Spiderman are an exception and not that easy to replicate.

Feb 3, 2018
If you think thats rude you should see our reddit page :P

I still find it completely mindboggling that you barely have done anything with the license and what you have released has caused universal backlash and even caused a ban on micro-transactions in several countries bringing monetization discussion into the mainstream.

You can't be oblivious to these facts ? and I understand you can't comment on numerous issues for NDA reasons, but I remember a time when a new star wars game filled me with excitement but all I feel now is skeptisism even when it comes to respawns new game.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Over halfway through the contract and barely anything to show for it.
I still find it completely mindboggling that you barely have done anything with the license

The two current generation Battlefront games have probably sold close to 25-30M copies at this point. Yet people still insist that EA have "nothing to show for it" as far as the license goes, while suggesting sequels to games that wouldn't even move the needle by today's standard.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Battlefront 2 could have been an amazing game, but they decided to cram microtransactions into it like every other EA game.

That's one of the reasons they've fucked up.

They can't stand the idea of a 20-hour single-player game that people will just trade after a week.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

Tons more people play games now than ever before. Even with the bad press and bad word of mouth everywhere the new Battlefront games have sold a crap ton. People are starved for good Star Wars games anything will sell.

Feb 3, 2018
The two current generation Battlefront games have probably sold close to 25-30M copies at this point. Yet people still insist that EA have "nothing to show for it" as far as the license goes, while suggesting sequels to games that wouldn't even move the needle by today's standard.

Which actually does not matter since Battlefront 2 sold 60% less than the first Battlefront and financially the game was not successful.

Financially the game was a flop for EA and is known as the big flop of 2017, it was also heavily discounted quickly after release and even EA acknowledged the lootbox controversy was the main reason which is why they changed it but it was too late.

So yeah 25 to 30 million sounds good but many of those copies were sold heavily discounted.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018
Tons more people play games now than ever before. Even with the bad press and bad word of mouth everywhere the new Battlefront games have sold a crap ton. People are starved for good Star Wars games anything will sell.

Sorry tried to quote you in my post but what you are saying is true from a certain point of view ;) but what is also true is that BF2 sold 60% less than Battlefront 1 from EA.

It was by all accounts a financial failure and was quickly discounted, number of copies sold up until now does not matter in this case since BF2 has been sold on deals for as little as 10 bucks.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

As a consumer, I don't care how many copies of games that EA sells. I care about them releasing Star Wars games that I want to play. Two Battlefront games doesn't count for much to me.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which actually does not matter since Battlefront 2 sold 60% less than the first Battlefront and financially the game was not successful.

Financially the game was a flop for EA and is known as the big flop of 2017, it was also heavily discounted quickly after release and even EA acknowledged the lootbox controversy was the main reason which is why they changed it but it was too late.
The "big flop" sold roughly 9 million copies in the first 8 weeks of sales (EA expectations were 10M). Trying to act as if the game isn't a huge success seems pretty absurd. This one "flop" sold more than probably the entirety of Lucasarts' 360/PS3 output.

Did it sell as much as BF1? Nah, but almost everything tends to be down as compared to the start of the generation and previous sequels.

Battlefront sells because it is using an incredibly popular genre/model combined with insane AAA production values. Force Unleashed barely did a fraction of BF's sales.

The idea that "Anythting Star Wars-related will sell because Battlefront did well" is silly when you can point to dozens of relatively recent Star Wars games that did not really do all that well.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I still find it completely mindboggling that you barely have done anything with the license and what you have released has caused universal backlash and even caused a ban on micro-transactions in several countries bringing monetization discussion into the mainstream.

You can't be oblivious to these facts ? and I understand you can't comment on numerous issues for NDA reasons, but I remember a time when a new star wars game filled me with excitement but all I feel now is skeptisism even when it comes to respawns new game.

I think it speaks more to the realities of working on AAA licensed IP development to be honest. You mix that with people outside the industry continuing to take game development for granted (comments like "why cant they make a SW game like Uncharted")

Why arent there amazing Harry Potter games or amazing Marvel games all over the place? Or Game of Thrones? Or DC? Its exceptionally hard to make really good games and its exceptionally hard to ship an average quality licensed game

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I think it speaks more to the realities of working on AAA licensed IP development to be honest. You mix that with people outside the industry continuing to take game development for granted (comments like "why cant they make a SW game like Uncharted")

Why arent there amazing Harry Potter games or amazing Marvel games all over the place? Or Game of Thrones? Or DC? Its exceptionally hard to make really good games and its exceptionally hard to ship an average quality licensed game
How many crappy Batman games came before Asylum.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm still amazed at that short speeder bike mission in Battlefront 1 and how authentic it felt and how well it handled, along with how spot on the graphics and sound were in general. Such a shame there's not a really big epic single player game utilising the expertise on show but instead it's funnelled into a MP game.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Didn't we get that big leak on the AAA Harry Potter game for next gen like last year?

Marvel's Spider-Man came out last year and Ultimate Alliance 3 is right around the corner.

I don't think anyone is saying game development isn't hard. But a lot of the problem seems to be from upper management / leadership in terms of what EA should be doing with the license.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a consumer, I don't care how many copies of games that EA sells. I care about them releasing Star Wars games that I want to play. Two Battlefront games doesn't count for much to me.
I would like to play Blitz again (or any arcade football title) and don't care about Madden, but at the same time I wouldn't claim that EA has nothing to show for the NFL license. If my personal taste dictated the value of a publisher's roster, half the publishers in the industry would be useless.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars: Jedi Master
Gameplay based on Jedi Knight/Academy, play as Luke doing Jedi shit after Return of the Jedi.

Star Wars: Republic at War
Based on Empire at War, but during Clone Wars era.

Those two would send my hype through the roof.

Battlefront has a good framework right now, EA just has to stop EAing the shit out of it.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Am I just really deluded with this, or am I on the money in how much better even I or a Doe with a lame leg could handle this franchise and the games that are made to not only make gamers happy, but also maximize profit and keep shareholders pleased. I am deadset certain I could do a better job with my eyes closed.

Firstly, we learn that Bioware wanted to make KOTOR 3 and EA turned them down, instead opting to go with Anthem.....Yeah that is a real stroke of genius EA, but don't worry hindsight is 20/20, amirite? You incompetent turds. And how about remakes/remasters? Where are the Unreal 4 remakes of KOTOR 1 and 2 that would comfortably sell 5 million+ each? Where is the VR Pod Racer from Criterion that would move PSVR bundles like fresh 420 cookies in a Colorado bakery? Of course we already know you've got Respawn coming out with Jedi Fallen Order, the first single player story experience you've managed to dredge up since you got the license over 5 years ago, yet still haven't seen gameplay of 8 months from release...And lets not forget poor old Visceral Games and Star Wars 1313, a potential match made in heaven that you sent to a premature grave along with hundreds of jobs because driving a stake through the heart of quality studios is just something that you do, apparently. And let US not forget, the forgotten franchises like Rogue Squadron, Jedi Knight, Shadows of the Empire among many, many others.

I mean comeon, blow me down with a feather. Star Wars is the free kick to rule all free kicks, and EA have own goaled it in a manner that is frankly sickening to behold.

It baffles me they never followed up on a KOTR reboot, it has money written on it everywhere.

I dunno, I think were doing pretty good but its not like I can just break every NDA I have so I get the outward impression.

Well, SWBF2 is better these days but it took 2 titles and 1 year and a half late post release of the 2nd one... I'm just saying that maybe it should have been handled better

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I would like to play Blitz again (or any arcade football title) and don't care about Madden, but at the same time I wouldn't claim that EA has nothing to show for the NFL license. If my personal taste dictated the value of a publisher's roster, half the publishers in the industry would be useless.

There's Mutant Football League. Offtopic but you should check it out even has Tim Kitzrow the Blitz, Jam announcer doing the color commentary.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Your arguments are getting worse. EA comes out with Madden annually, like clockwork. If we were getting a new Star Wars game every year it would be a completely different story.

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How many crappy Batman games came before Asylum.
Didn't we get that big leak on the AAA Harry Potter game for next gen like last year?

Marvel's Spider-Man came out last year and Ultimate Alliance 3 is right around the corner.

I don't think anyone is saying game development isn't hard. But a lot of the problem seems to be from upper management / leadership in terms of what EA should be doing with the license.

You're both proving my point, I especifically said "not many". Spiderman and the Arkham games are the exceptions that prove the rule. Before Arkham shitty Batman games were the norm because shipping a licensed game of average quality its already pretty damn difficult.

HP was leaked and who knows if it'll" be cancelled, zero guarantees it'll be good. Ultimate Alliance 3 is what, a decade after the last one?

Feb 3, 2018

When it comes to the Harry Potter games many seem very quickly put together and just rushed out to coincide with the movie release a video game tie in to a movie.

And many of those games were based on the movie that released back in the day when releasing a video game tie in to a movie was more common.

But my argument is making a game such as Kotor set in the same universe but does not directly tie in to the movie but tells it's own story inside that universe.

Many Star Wars fans including me feel that Knight of the old republic was such a huge adrenalin shot to the star wars fandom that was beloved by the fan base.

Many licensed harry potter games had the same plot as the movie that happen to release that year, but Star Wars in my opinion is such a huge universe that telling exciting stories inside this universe that does not directly tie in to the movies is what many fans would love to see.

That's why I was excited for the Ragtag project a non skywalker related star wars game but set inside the universe we all love.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I'd say I'm disappointed that they never jumped on the retro bandwagon and made Super Force Awakens et al, but the fact they haven't re-released SESB and SRotJ leads me to believe the Super Star Wars re-release underperformed...

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to the Harry Potter games many seem very quickly put together and just rushed out to coincide with the movie release a video game tie in to a movie.

And many of those games were based on the movie that released back in the day when releasing a video game tie in to a movie was more common.

But my argument is making a game such as Kotor set in the same universe but does not directly tie in to the movie but tells it's own story inside that universe.

Many Star Wars fans including me feel that Knight of the old republic was such a huge adrenalin shot to the star wars fandom that was beloved by the fan base.

Many licensed harry potter games had the same plot as the movie that happen to release that year, but Star Wars in my opinion is such a huge universe that telling exciting stories inside this universe that does not directly tie in to the movies is what many fans would love to see.
Dont disagree at all, it would be awesome. Weve been doing KotOR content in SWGOH lately, we loved making it and the players where really hungry for it.

collige

Oct 31, 2017

OK, let's take Marvel for example. Yes, on one hand we have those games, but on the other hand there's LEGO Marvel 2, LEGO Avengers, Deadpool, MVCI, Telltale GOTG, and Amazing Spider-Man 2 this gen, all of which got mediocre reception and in the case of MVCI we got pretty clear indication that it's Disney that makes things difficult.

Feb 3, 2018
Dont disagree at all, it would be awesome. Weve been doing KotOR content in SWGOH lately, we loved making it and the players where really hungry for it.

Well and I happy you are finding success with it I don't play because I just don't like mobile games in general but glad to see it's being acknowledged.

I truly believe if you can find the right writers you can create a great AAA Star Wars RPG that fans will run out to buy we are hungry for more star wars games and despite all the trashtalk if Respawns game turn out great people will rush out to buy that as well.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You're both proving my point, I especifically said "not many". Spiderman and the Arkham games are the exceptions that prove the rule. Before Arkham shitty Batman games were the norm because shipping a licensed game of average quality its already pretty damn difficult.

HP was leaked and who knows if it'll" be cancelled, zero guarantees it'll be good. Ultimate Alliance 3 is what, a decade after the last one?

I think most people would be fine with a level of output that DC has. There have been 5 Batman games and 2 Injustice games.

Marvel just recently started taking games seriously so let's see how what they come out with now that they've tasted success with Spider-Man.

Are you honestly saying that you're happy with the output EA has had since acquiring exclusive licensing rights to the franchise?

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017

Preach!

I doubt it. BF2 has finally turned around and will hopefully keep getting good content and JFO is actually not getting canceled. I just don't see you guys delivering everything else the fans have been clamoring for for 2 console generations (Rogue Squadron, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, KOTOR 3, Jedi Knight 4) by the time the exclusive license deal is up. I for one cannot wait for that to happen.