• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
This has quickly become one of my favorite podcasts. The guests can be hit or miss (bring back Jason Conception!) but Nick, Heather, and Matt always kill it. I look forward to this every week (and I love them letting us know next week's game ahead of time in case we want to experience the torture along with them).

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Joey did a follow up tweet thread that is worth reading. I'm glad he went on the show and confronted the issue, it could not have been easy for him. I'm also glad that Nick, Heather, and Matt seemed to take it to heart and will make the effort to do better. It's not an easy listen but it is an important one. Well done Joey. I hope to hear him back soon on a future episode!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Woof, that episode was rough all around. It was definitely a conversation that should be had, but it was still hard to hear

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Echoing everyone else...that latest episode was an eye-opener. Up until the turn I didn't think anything was amiss. Definitely makes me think I need to be more aware...

Granted, I didn't really remember how repulsive Custer's Revenge was until I looked up the "gameplay" after.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This episode blindsided me.

When the call-out happens, which is a total rug-pull, my face went red. I had to pause the pod.

Lot of start and stop for me to get through it but what an incredible, intense conversation.

I know this is supposed to be a comedy video game show but today's episode had real, important cultural value. Everyone should hear it.

Kudos to the crew for having that conversation and airing it, it couldn't have been easy.

Mad props to Joe for having the guts and the convinction to do this.

I feel like this episode deserves it's own thread. The show is not that popular and the normal subject matter isn't that unique, but this episode transcends all of that and should reach as many ears as possible. People who wouldn't normally listen to this show would get value out of this.

But i cant make threads.

Hey this is Heather, I did migrate to ResetEra but don't post very often.
Anyway, thanks for listening to the show.
You and Nick handled this as well as you possibly could. You made a mistake but it's a mistake many people make, sadly, as Joe pointed out. You should be proud of your integrity in airing this.

Just FYI, i've listened to every ep and have since it premiered :)

Dont cancel the show!

Last edited:

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Hey this is Heather, I did migrate to ResetEra but don't post very often.
Anyway, thanks for listening to the show.
The show is a amazing trip down nightmare lane. Thanks for that.

EDIT: Joey was absolutely in the right to call this out, because it's this box marginalized groups find themselves in constantly in creative avenues when those voices already have so little opportunity to shine beyond tokenism. Good on him, and I'm glad the episode included that conversation.

Last edited:

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
This episode was really uncomfortable, but also really valuable. I hope Joey gets to come back again and do a real, non-token episode.

Everybody handled it really well though, so props for that... it just wasn't the best idea. I honestly probably would've attempted something similar, so I've learned as well.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This episode was really uncomfortable, but also really valuable. I hope Joey gets to come back again and do a real, non-token episode.

Everybody handled it really well though, so props for that... it just wasn't the best idea. I honestly probably would've attempted something similar, so I've learned as well.
Believe me, part of the deep second-hand embarrassment I felt was immediately realizing i didn't make the connection either. That's how normalized this kind of "packaging" is.

I learned some shit today.

Yeah, I came here to say this. Pretty essential listening, I'd say - it was interesting as a listener because I also felt like I was being presented with my own privilege, since I was also thinking "oh it'll be interesting to hear about this game from his perspective" up until that point. Really tough, but great, episode and I'm glad they released it.
Yuuuuuuup.

Joey did a follow up tweet thread that is worth reading. I'm glad he went on the show and confronted the issue, it could not have been easy for him. I'm also glad that Nick, Heather, and Matt seemed to take it to heart and will make the effort to do better. It's not an easy listen but it is an important one. Well done Joey. I hope to hear him back soon on a future episode!

Fuckin' aye!

Joey Clift@joeytainment
· 7h

Replying to @joeytainment
They even asked to bring me back on the show in the near future for a more fun episode and agreed to book Natives on the show for non tokenizing episodes. They did a lame thing, but they are very good people trying sincerely to make things right, which is awesome.
Joey Clift@joeytainment

Hell, they not only released the episode, but they also gave me final edit and let me write the description which they did not have to do.

Now, here's some more details on a few things I talked about.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I was not prepared for this week's episode.
At first I though it was a bit, but then I felt the pain in their voices.
Didn't know the guest, so I had no idea he was a native american and that they brought him to talk about custard's revenge, but yeah probably not the best idea.

Props to everyone involved for still having this talk and airing the episode. Don't let this bum anyone out, learn from it and come back next week with the usual comedy.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
A really important episode. I think Nick and Heather handled it well. Just shows how even well meaning people can make some pretty basic fundamental racial incensitivities

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy, this did get uncomfortable but it was also great to have such an open conversation.

I do get the idea of wanting to have native american voice on a topic like this but Custer's revenge really wasn't the right game for it. There really isn't much more to say about it beyond that it's gross. And Joey also made a good point about the show usually not dealing with these heavy topics which made it feel weird.

Bigmac

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Really loved the episode. I appreciate Joey also using the podcast as a platform to voice the tokenisation issue as I feel like I've learned something. Joey's got guts to call them out on their own show and props to Heather, Nick and Matt who handled it very well. I hope they bring back Joey for Garfield Kart or some other shitty game. Love this show!

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Just listened to the episode. It was really good and unexpected as people have mentioned already.

I think there's a way to have a conversation about Indigenous representation in video games - it's happened before when games like Prey and Assassin's Creed III came out - but in a way that doesn't bring up the issues that Joey had mentioned on the podcast.

Sinistar

Oct 27, 2017
This was already becoming one of my favorite weekly shows and was hands down my favorite new show of 2019, but this week's episode took it to a new level. Thanks for releasing it, I agree that everyone should hear it.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not all the way through, but haven't heard anything yet.
I think it's kind of one of those things where it's out there already and they're moving forward.
Not trying to minimize it but that episode speaks for itself.
This. If they even choose to do a follow up the best and only way I'd imagine it is with a stand-alone bonus episode totally disconnected from an episode about a different game with a different guest(s)

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've only recently discovered this show, and I've been really enjoying it! So far I'm only listening to episodes about games that I have played or have some knowledge/experience about, but it has been really fun. I never realized that Technocop was such a touchstone. I remember buying it just because the back of the box had a screenshot showing someone get exploded by the titular technocop's gun. The game very much delivered on its promise of graphic violence, but disappointed on just about every other level.

Heather's endorsement of BluChew is easily one of my favorite podcast moments of the whole year. Can't wait to listen to more.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I've built up a backlog of this and am catching up at the moment. I really like the tone of this show, and Heather and Nick's vibe of being very knowledgeable about games while also not taking themselves too seriously. Also, Heather's "video games aren't scary because they aren't real" opinion is such a weird brag of a take, lol

I'll just echo the thoughts of everyone else on the Custer's Revenge episode. I love that Joey brought it up, that they had the real conversation about it, and released it. Honestly, it's a much more overlooked conversation than the almost formulaic "Native American representation in media is largely bad, let's list the stereotypes..." conversation that they were likely expecting to have. The way the tone abruptly shifted really cut to the quick and made the hosts and listeners really engage with what was the ostensible topic, but without the detachment and irony that's so easy to fall back on as people who think of ourselves as enlightened. If this was a bigger show, I feel like it would be on a list of "best/most important podcast episodes of 2019" somewhere. It feels like something that will be a reference point for me in the future, at least. I'm really glad I got to hear it.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
GREAT retrospective episode on Eternal Champions this week.

Features the dude who did the finishing moves for the game.

This was a fantastic episode. I did not expect them to have one of the artists on and they weren't afraid to talk technical stuff either. Kind of incredible they did all the dithering by hand without any brushes or macros or anything. And just the sheer craftsmanship they put into the overkill animations painstakingly drawing them frame by frame has made them all the better with age compared to Mortal Kombat fatalities which just about anyone could replicate within a few minutes in Photoshop these days.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Mutant League Football this week!
I loved the hell out of that as a kid, I'll always remember:
Ashes to Ashes
Dust to Dust
Bodies to the Kitchen!

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have been binging my way through all the episodes for the past week -- I am going to be so sad when I am caught up and I have to go back to listening only 1 hour per week. It was hard getting used to how it takes 20 minutes for them to actually start discussing the game of the week, but now that I'm acclimated to everyone's personality it's fun to listen to all the pre-subject banter. I wish they would stick a little more closely to classic/retro games -- the cesspool of modern mobile titles is like shooting fish in a barrel.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017

How Did This Get Played's ten favorite games of 2019 in alphabetical order:
Sid Meier's Civilization VI: Gathering Storm
Death Stranding
Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
The Outer Worlds
Pokémon Sword/Shield
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Slay the Spire
Tetris 99
Untitled Goose Game

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
The Warioware inc episode was great and Alex Berg was super funny but when are you gonna play Deadly Premonition.

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
The WarioWare and Minecraft Story Move episodes were fucking great. This show just keeps getting better.

I'm stoked for the Death Stranding episode next week.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that they made a top ten for Giantbomb and they're so unabashedly fans of Death Stranding when Dan basically said "it's a piece of shit" on the GOTY podcasts. lol

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if it's not really my kind of game, it was kinda nice to hear some people who were really into Death Stranding. Most other podcasts I listen to have been kinda down on it. For those who were concerned though, they really don't go into spoilers at all......Heather is actually really careful about not giving anything away for Nick or Matt since neither of them played the game more than halfway through the campaign.

Heather's defense of the game's narrative stupidity pretty much boils down to "All games are stupid, so it's okay that this game is stupid too!" and that strikes me as too much of a stretch. While there are certain conventions you have to make for any videogame, that doesn't really give someone like Kojima an excuse to be so corny, self-indulgent, and tone-deaf. All games are stupid, but some are clearly a lot more stupid than others.

I didn't care for the Maybe We Were Wrong segment on Death Stranding either. Feels like they cherry-picked the most dumb and vapid negative reviews of the game so they could avoid addressing any of the more cutting criticisms and just dunk on the idiots that hated it. Hopefully when they get to Death Stranding Part 2 they will look some of the more put-together complaints about the game.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little behind and just finished the Christmas Nights episode. This is such a great podcast. Easily my fav in the gaming podcast right now.
Even if it's not really my kind of game, it was kinda nice to hear some people who were really into Death Stranding. Most other podcasts I listen to have been kinda down on it. For those who were concerned though, they really don't go into spoilers at all......Heather is actually really careful about not giving anything away for Nick or Matt since neither of them played the game more than halfway through the campaign.

Heather's defense of the game's narrative stupidity pretty much boils down to "All games are stupid, so it's okay that this game is stupid too!" and that strikes me as too much of a stretch. While there are certain conventions you have to make for any videogame, that doesn't really give someone like Kojima an excuse to be so corny, self-indulgent, and tone-deaf. All games are stupid, but some are clearly a lot more stupid than others.

I didn't care for the Maybe We Were Wrong segment on Death Stranding either. Feels like they cherry-picked the most dumb and vapid negative reviews of the game so they could avoid addressing any of the more cutting criticisms and just dunk on the idiots that hated it. Hopefully when they get to Death Stranding Part 2 they will look some of the more put-together complaints about the game.
It is a comedy show. Best to take that into account with how they're going to frame their content and how they pick the material for certain sections.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am baffled Heather knew about Doom Eternal but not Doom 2016.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is a comedy show. Best to take that into account with how they're going to frame their content and how they pick the material for certain sections.
Yeah, I get your point :)

I do think they are at times a little too devoted to being a comedy podcast rather than a gaming podcast. They always seem to seek out guests that are comedians who play games rather than guests who are notable personalities in gaming. I think it'd be nice if they occaisionally had on guests that are gaming journalists or game podcasters/YouTubers. It would probably help them bring in a bigger audience, since people who are fans of those prominent gamers would probably stick around and listen to more episodes. Whereas if somebody is just a fan of John Hodgman they probably won't listen to more than the one episode that he was on.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I get your point :)

I do think they are at times a little too devoted to being a comedy podcast rather than a gaming podcast. They always seem to seek out guests that are comedians who play games rather than gamers. I think it'd be nice if they occaisionally had on guests that are gaming journalists or game podcasters/YouTubers. It would probably help them bring in a bigger audience, since people who are fans of those prominent gamers would probably stick around and listen to more episodes. Whereas if somebody is just a fan of John Hodgman they probably won't listen to more than the one episode that he was on.
It seems that a lot of their guests so far are mostly from within their own sphere, which is comedy. They're still quite new, refining their format, and I bet we'll see a wider variety of guests moving forwards, but I will add that one of my favourite things about this is just how removed it is from "gamer" culture. It just feels like people who love games and want to celebrate them.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems that a lot of their guests so far are mostly from within their own sphere, which is comedy. They're still quite new, refining their format, and I bet we'll see a wider variety of guests moving forwards, but I will add that one of my favourite things about this is just how removed it is from "gamer" culture. It just feels like people who love games and want to celebrate them.
Yeah, that kinda struck me during the Vroom In The Night Sky episode. A gaming website's podcast would have just briefly slammed the game and moved on, rather than devoted an hour to talking about it. Heather's advocacy for Vroom was actually kinda persuasive and charming.

I'd like to see them have on one of the guys from Easy Allies. I think Easy Allies and HDTGP are both based in LA so it probably wouldn't be a big hassle, and the EZA staffers have a similar sort of enthusiasm and open-mindedness.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see them have on one of the guys from Easy Allies. I think Easy Allies and HDTGP are both based in LA so it probably wouldn't be a big hassle, and the EZA staffers have a similar sort of enthusiasm and open-mindedness.
I think that would be a good fit, for sure.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone feel the discussion about games that have taken inspiration from Katamari Damacy was sorely missing Donut County? I haven't played it (lol) but you seem to play as a hole that gets bigger the more stuff you swallow. It has a pastel aesthetic that's somewhat similar to Katamari's art too.

Faithless327, you always have the best games-related anecdotes. It's amazing how KD literally changed your life.