• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Loud Wrong

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
This year is crazy. I've felt one here in my life, but not as strong as this. Theres a door in my office that rattles a bit when people walk near it, and it rattled for about a minute prior to the quake that I felt.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
In Charlotte at the moment, lasted 5-10 seconds

Wondering if the gunpla will still be standing on my shelf back home in Raleigh lol

Last edited:

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
That's odd. The East coast isn't on any tectonic plate boundaries. Wonder if it is a side effect of a bigger earthquake in the Caribbean?

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, I was looking around my house for something wrong.

Never thought I'd experience an earthquake in my lifetime

OP
OP
Loud Wrong

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
It occurred in some place called Sparta, NC. I guess there's a fault line near there that extends from Virginia to Alabama.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
That's odd. The East coast isn't on any tectonic plate boundaries. Wonder if it is a side effect of a bigger earthquake in the Caribbean?

We had a 5.8 in 2011 with an epicenter in Virginia that I felt while living in Maryland.

Wonder how far this was felt. I didn't feel anything in VA with this one.

Last edited:

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I remember the earthquake about 8 or 9 years ago in the northeast that shook about 7 states at the same time.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
I'm in Southern Virginia and felt it pretty clearly. As for the cause, I recall hearing at University that there's a lot of stress from the load of the Appalachian mountains; its possible that was the cause.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in SC and didn't feel anything for what it's worth. Midlands.

Crazy to hear that NC, of all places had an earthquake.

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
East Tennessee, it actually woke me up. Felt like it only lasted a second though, one noticeable shake and that's all.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Actually felt my room shaking for a few seconds about an hour or so ago and I'm in the Midlands of SC. That is a unsettling feeling. This thread popping up confirmed that I wasn't just imagining things.

Last edited:

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
up in the mountains, definitely felt it. woke up to my bed shaking to and fro. i remember another one a few years back

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
Felt it in the upstate SC, was on my apartment balcony having my coffee and the whole building vibrated for 5-10 seconds, I knew it was an earthquake immediately.

OP
OP
Loud Wrong

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Are you in a house or apartment building? Not sure if that makes a difference but my fiancé and I definitely didn't feel it in our ranch house.
House, but it shouldn't make a difference. The ground shook everything on top of it.

Gotta be a nice house if it's Cary lol. Place is expensive.
It certainly is now, but it wasn't when my grandparents moved here. I was given their house when they passed. The tech boom in RTP really changed Cary.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I was just on the phone with a customer service rep who was asking if I felt it here in the midlands in SC and I had no clue what she was talking about. She said it was somewhere called Sparta, NC and I thought maybe she meant Spartanburg on this side of the state line. Don't know where Sparta is but I had fallen asleep while watching a movie on the couch and it didn't wake me up if it could be felt here.

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta be a nice house if it's Cary lol. Place is expensive.
Yeah, I definitely don't live in Cary. Shit's too expensive. Durham's way cooler, anyway. 😎
House, but it shouldn't make a difference. The ground shook everything on top of it.
Welp, definitely didn't feel it here. I was awake and making coffee, too, so it's not like I slept through it. I was in DC for the 2011 VA earthquake and I *definitely* felt that. So interesting the few Durham peeps here didn't feel it but other nearby places did.