• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Faults
AJrCQQB.jpg

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Felt nothing here in Fresno.
4.5? Isn't that chair_falling_over.gif tier?
The scale is exponential. The quakes we had eariler this year were 6-7's. We actually have several hundred <3.0 quakes per year, and 15-20 over 4.0 per year in California. The depth of the quake can make a big difference on how it's felt, though.

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Does that mean anything for potential stronger one later tonight? Scared the shit out of me
No idea.

I feel the depth was given more to understand how the quake acted from the epicenter, and how it dissipates to different parts around it from the depth.

Not too familiar with quakes in general, so won't be able to give you a concrete answer.

But nobody has said anything about a bigger one other than, hope this isn't a precursor to one.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I was under the impression that smaller ones are good for relieving pressure from bigger movements from happening. It's when the pressure builds for a long time then has one major slip it's when you get huge ones. That's what I've been told anyway. I'm no seismologist.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
We've had quite a few in the area. I want to say 3-4 in the last two weeks. Hopefully that lets some of the pressure slip?

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
bay area-ERA really assembling like crazy this past week

4.7 honestly sounds about right because the epicenter was so close by. wobbled for a good 10 seconds over here

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I was under the impression that smaller ones are good for relieving pressure from bigger movements from happening. It's when the pressure builds for a long time then has one major slip it's when you get huge ones. That's what I've been told anyway. I'm no seismologist.

I've heard this, and it would make sense, but then I also read otherwise from articles earthquake people wrote :/ None are really "good" from what I gather.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Could you change the topic? I just landed in Oakland and you honestly had new scare for a second

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I've heard this, and it would make sense, but then I also read otherwise from articles earthquake people wrote :/ None are really "good" from what I gather.
Haha true. I'm in the Pacific NW. We get them all the time here too but I never get used to them. Cant sleep any time I feel anything. Hate living in the Pacific rim sometimes. I just keep telling myself when a smaller one happens that its postponing a big one lol
Anytime one happens down there I worry something up here has to give.

Ary F.

Oct 30, 2017
Don't speak such things into existence please. lol
I really hope that was the worst of it, but if more pressure needs to release.... I hope it's far from here, and somewhere much more remote with little repercussion afterwards.
Stay prepped. My fam still remembers Loma Prieta (my bday incidentally lmfao) but they were more terrified of the chaos that followed.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
No, it's still pretty tame. 4-5 is an everyday occurrence here in Indonesia.

You're thinking of 7 and higher.

chair_falling_over.gif is meant to indicate a very tame quake.

Personally I use the LEGO Darth Maul test.

If he doesn't fall over, then it wasn't a quake worth worrying about for me.

He didn't fall over.

idlewild_

Oct 29, 2017
Felt it in Mountain View, desk started shaking a bit. Subsided pretty quickly though, wasn't sure at the time if I hadn't imagined it.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Felt it in Sonoma County, pretty tame here. I thought it was my neighbors heavily walking down the apartment stairs until GF came in asking about it. It's been several years since I've noticed one since moving back from SoCal where earthquakes seemed much more common.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
It also depends on the age of your building. New builds on floating foundations will minimize much of the shaking.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty tame, if the big one happening is a matter of when and not if then I hope it comes soon so I can finally afford a home here.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Hahaha my apartment wiggles everytime the bus goes by and the wiggle felt a lot stronger than normal. Should've googled if we had another quake.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Man that was like alittle bump.... like some large truck drove by or something. *Yawn*

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Is a 4.7 really "huge"? We had a 5.7 a few days ago near Tokyo and it felt like a fat person falling over.
To be honest moment magnitude is a pretty terrible measurement of anything to do with an earthquake that actually amounts to impact on humans since it doesn't take into account, distance, depth, movement type, etc.

Japan's shindo scale is a much better measure of how 'big' a quake actually was in a certain area.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This makes me anxious for the Big One.

SerAardvark

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a 5.0 out by Tres Pinos per the US Geological Survey

Office in San Jose was noticably shaking.