• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I voted over the weekend. Took me two bloody hours to figure out how to handle all the judicial retentions but I hope I did a good job.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this was easily the longest part of filling out my ballot.

Fingers crossed that the fair tax passes!

I thought it was funny that the very first guy on the judicial retention review was the one with the longest paper trail of problematic behavior. Like "let's get the worst one out of the way first".

There's also one guy who literally already retired from the bench and is still on the ballot for some reason, and another person who said "even if I win I'm retiring in November". Goofy stuff, but I guess they can't change the ballot every time someone decides to drop out.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
So damn proud of you all. Full speed ahead!

Speaker

One Winged Slayer
May 18, 2019
I just voted today, felt good to finally knock it out, and get my sticker!

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My ballot's at home, will be filling it in and dropping it off at one of the early voting sites soon!

Anyone else in Cook County use the Girl I Guess voting guide? Has some good info about judges, Water Reclamation positions, and other races that don't get a ton of coverage.

T-Virus

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2020
It's not like Illinois is in play but nice to see. I was in Chicago a couple of weeks back and they clearly hate Trump.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Illinois resident here that casted my vote last Friday.
vrLcAmB.gif

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
My boyfriend and I dropped off our ballots downtown on Saturday and there was a big (but fast moving) line of people waiting to register and vote early. It's no surprise, the vast majority of Chicagoans absolutely hate Trump, but it was still encouraging to see.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Combine 660k when mail ballots included so far

SPRINGFIELD — With just three weeks remaining before the Nov. 3 general election, more than 660,000 voters in Illinois have already cast ballots either through mail-in or early in-person voting, shattering previous records for advance voting, according to state election officials.

The Illinois State Board of Elections posted on its website Tuesday that 660,500 advance ballots had already been received by various local voting jurisdictions.

That included 482,848 mail ballots that had either been delivered to election authorities or deposited in a drop box. That's 22.4% of the more than 2.15 million mail ballots that have been requested so far.

That percentage is higher still in Peoria County, where 32,763 mail ballots have been requested so far and 15,637 have been returned, according to state data. That's about 48%. Four years ago, only 5,105 had been requested and only 934 returned.

In Tazewell County, 16,146 mail ballots have been requested, and 1,799 have so far been returned -- about 11% so far. Four years ago, those numbers were 2,217 requested and 571 returned. Woodford County reports 4,253 mail ballots have been requested so far this year, and 1,765 have been returned, roughly 41% of the total. In 2016, just 477 had been requested and 142 returned.

In addition, statewide, 175,965 registered voters had cast ballots at in-person voting locations – roughly double the number of early in-person votes cast at the same point in the 2016 election cycle – and another 1,687 "grace period" voters had registered to vote and voted in person simultaneously.

Grace period voting in Illinois begins 27 days before an election and started on Oct. 7 this year. During that period, voters may no longer register to vote by mail, but they may register in person and vote at an early voting location. Online voter registration is available through Oct. 18.
www.pjstar.com

Illinois surpasses 660K combined early, mail votes

With just three weeks remaining before the Nov. 3 general election, more than 660,000 voters in Illinois have already...

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Don't want to jinx it, but I think Trump's defeat will be swift and brutal. The man is the most hated president in our lifetime.

Still, VOTE!!!

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Man I recently had change of address, and my voter registration status is now in a limbo. I went to dmv to get it updated about two weeks ago, but it still says my status is pending. I hope they fix this shit before the 3rd.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I voted last Friday. I was in line, there was a young black man, just turned 18 there with his dad, his grandfather, and his great grandfather all to cast their ballot against Trump. I asked how old his great grandfather was, he said 97. Shit was beautiul.

Jerrod

Dec 24, 2017
I voted by mail last week! I love being able to research candidates/judges, there was one judge who has been sitting for 40 or 50 years! He was unaffiliated with any party but no judge should serve that long not even on the supreme court. I voted no to his reelection.

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
Is this an appropriate place to discuss the fair tax?

When I first heard of it, I was like "hell yeah!!!"

After reading the official documentation I got in the mail, I am likely to vote against it.

The problem isn't that the wealthy aren't paying a higher percentage, rather it's them taking advantage of loopholes to reduce their taxable totals. Moving illinois from a flat to a progressive system just seems ripe for abuse.

Since this will make things easier for the government to change tax percentages on a whim, this will either A) drive away legitimate businesses who can no longer "afford" the higher taxes while voracious groups like Amazon continue to pay virtually nothing, and/or B) the government will raise taxes on lower income earners to make up for the potential losses in category A.

Technically speaking, If wealthy citizens didn't abuse loopholes, they are already paying more in taxes. Things are already "fair" in the sense that everyone pays an equal percentage of their income.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I'm really hoping Central IL turns. I have maybe a feeling we might get some more democratic representation, both on federal and state level. I have certainly done my part.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are republicans known to vote early? I was always not sure if I should feel reserved about these stats, or happy...if it's statically Democrats that do it.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Are republicans known to vote early? I was always not sure if I should feel reserved about these stats, or happy...if it's statically Democrats that do it.
Mass voting hurts republicans. Its why they constantly suppress the vote and support gutting voting rights and gerrymander districts.
Its why now they are pushing a false narrative about voter fraud. They know they cannot legally win if more people vote.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this leads to the continued decimation of the Illinois Republican Party, because it should.

Also, not passing the progressive tax because you're afraid it means rich people will leave seems silly.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Fuuuuck that started today? Thought it started tomorrow. (give me a break my son was just born a week ago) My wife and I will do our part as well as vote for the progressive tax later this week. Let's go IL

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I found this online (hope its ok to post it here)

Could not get past the 5th minutes mark. Its very disturbing.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
Just an anecdotal update, but I walked by the Broadway Armory in Edgewater today and the line to vote was a block long. It seemed pretty chill and it looked like they were even providing chairs to elderly and disabled people while they wait. I love my city, let's vote this orange Nazi turd out!

Gin & Phonics

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
How much of this early turnout is due to above average voter interest and not just because everyone is doing mail ins because of Covid