• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
scary.

post above says slight biden lead....promising and yuge

Lol, I'll always assume FL is a loss until I'm proven wrong.

302584.gif

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Fuxking terrifying but I know people are saying thjs one is much different
The biggest difference is that people like Biden, the race has been incredibly consistent, he's polling better and constantly above or flirting with 50%, and there are far less undecideds. People's minds are made up, which is a stark contrast to Clinton hanging out in the mid 40% range with erratic movements in polling throughout the race and a very high level of undecideds.

Also doesn't hurt that so far turnout is smashing 2016 numbers. Biden in the primaries showed people were actually excited to vote for him.

State level polling also has apparently been addressed since 2016. 2018 saw massive improvements in accuracy due to them accounting for education.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest difference is that people like Biden, the race has been incredibly consistent, he's polling better and constantly above or flirting with 50%, and there are far less undecideds. People's minds are made up, which is a stark contrast to Clinton hanging out in the mid 40% range with erratic movements in polling throughout the race and a very high level of undecideds.

Also doesn't hurt that so far turnout is smashing 2016 numbers. Biden in the primaries showed people were actually excited to vote for him.

State level polling also has apparently been addressed since 2016. 2018 saw massive improvements in accuracy due to them accounting for education.

Im not sure about the voter turnout thing. Im worried alot of democrats dont want to stand in line and may not mail in either.

Thays kinds my only worry here.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Im not sure about the voter turnout thing. Im worried alot of democrats dont want to stand in line and may not mail in either.

Thays kinds my only worry here.
This time in 2016, there were like under 2 million votes. We're now at over 10 million.

Also suppression efforts have arguably had the opposite effect. Wisconsin primary voters turned out in droves in the wake of GOP suppression efforts. Georgia just broke records today. People are fired up and aren't letting long lines or other issues get in the way of their votes.

Some states are already near or over 25% of their total 2016 vote total.

iori9999

Dec 8, 2017
It wasn't 85% at 538, it was 28.6% at the end. You need to be a lot more specific about "other places" and when, because the race was not at all consistent in 2016. Polls swung wildly, Trump at times was polling ahead of Clinton and had the most chance of winning.
It was 85% on the same date in 2016, but the election was the 8th of November that year rather than the 3rd, so we are further along here than the 12th of october in 2016

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
Keep voting all. But this election is going to be over before it starts. America has had shit leadership and we are turning out in record numbers.

Biden > Trump in a landslide was so predictable even 3 years ago.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
This time in 2016, there were like under 2 million votes. We're now at over 10 million.

Also suppression efforts have arguably had the opposite effect. Wisconsin primary voters turned out in droves in the wake of GOP suppression efforts. Georgia just broke records today. People are fired up and aren't letting long lines or other issues get in the way of their votes.

is this mostly mail in though?? Im worried about walk in only deciding its too dangerous and too late.

Im loving these numbers tho

PapaDev

Oct 26, 2017
I'm Canadian, so forgive my ignorance. Are all these mail-in ballots counted before, starting at, or after election night ?

I assume that if they're counted starting on election night, we're likely not going to know who the winner is until at the very least a few days later ?

Thanks

Sep 14, 2019
I asked this in the California Proposition thread, but wanted to ask here, too:

Can one person drop off multiple ballots in a box?

My Dad will be dropping off all of our ballots on his way back home tomorrow, but not sure if that's okay.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I'm Canadian, so forgive my ignorance. Are all these mail-in ballots counted before, starting at, or after election night ?

I assume that if they're counted starting on election night, we're likely not going to know who the winner is until at the very least a few days later ?

Thanks

Different states have different rules.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks
It's possible to know the presumptive winner on election night. If Florida is called early for Biden (and Florida usually counts really fast) then you can assume Biden won.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Half the undecideds, 538 heavily weights towards polls that now do education weighting which corrects for 2016 and Trump still has less than half the odds. And of early voting ballots the vast majority are not Republicans. This election is not going to be close.
You and 538 assume a fair election.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017

I honestly don't know how turnout will end up. Is polling showing a large turnout ? We have massive early/mail-in voting not because of Trump but because of the pandemic. The ones voting early are democrats who overall are taking Covid seriously enough to vote early. I'm more concerned how many of those mail-in voting were already planning on voting and are just doing it early. It should make voting on Election Day easier which should help turnout though

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I honestly don't know how turnout will end up. Is polling showing a large turnout ? We have massive early/mail-in voting not because of Trump but because of the pandemic. The ones voting early are democrats who overall are taking Covid seriously enough to vote early. I'm more concerned how many of those mail-in voting were already planning on voting and are just doing it early. It should make voting on Election Day easier which should help turnout though

The only thing we know for certain is the early voting and mail in are going to be well beyond record turnout.

In person....it's going to be depressed, just how much is the wild card and how will it affect D/R?

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Did my part in AZ via early ballot last night, found an official drop box on the website from the ballot paperwork (because don't trust fucking Republicans and their fake boxes like CA) and turned in with my dad and brother.

Here's hoping we can get AZ.

Oct 25, 2017
Voting in an Austin suburb. Poll opened at 7. Got here at seven. The wait has been an hour and a half so far. Might have about 20 more minutes to get to the front

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Those ~15 million unaffiliated and minor, who are they voting for? There are candidates other than Trump and Biden?!

There's always other candidates - the Libertarian Party and Green Party always run, and there are other candidates that are mostly jokes, who aren't really on the ballot anywhere, and which nobody will ever vote for.

That being said, the party counts are actually just numbers of voters registered with that respective party and not an indicator of who those people voted for.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if there will be a big ripple effect of people voting for the first time here.

Anecdotally, everyone who voted with me during the 2008 elections have stayed generally active in voting. Is it a case of once you've done it once, it's no longer a headache inducing unknown and so you're more willing to continue? Or are there a large contingency of people who vote once or twice and move on?

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there will be a big ripple effect of people voting for the first time here.

Anecdotally, everyone who voted with me during the 2008 elections have stayed generally active in voting. Is it a case of once you've done it once, it's no longer a headache inducing unknown and so you're more willing to continue? Or are there a large contingency of people who vote once or twice and move on?
Well tons of people vote in presidential elections and no other time.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
My ballot in Hillsborough, FL finally got counted. They received it back on September 29 so I was getting real worries on what was taking so long.

Now it's smooth sailing.

OP
OP
platocplx

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Its bananas. The number will keep jumping up exponentially as more massive states begin in person early voting over the next week. I can't wait to see what overall voter participation ends up being.
If you look at the % of vote from 2016 it gives a hint to how big it might be

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
So what are we looking at for early voting number as of Nov 3rd? 40M(ish)?

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
You and 538 assume a fair election.

Disenfranchising people who all show up for one day at one polling place = EZ

Disenfranchising people who are so stressed about the election they show up or mail in ballots a month early - lots of moving parts.

No one should be naive enough by now to assume that there won't be closures, malfunctions, crowding, and ballot tossing that affects thousands of voters in each state. However, voters turning out in record numbers, as early as possible, makes it far more difficult for the *wink wink, nudge nudge* kind of disenfranchisement that the GOP has grown accustomed to.

Nov 7, 2017
My ballot in Hillsborough, FL finally got counted. They received it back on September 29 so I was getting real worries on what was taking so long.

Now it's smooth sailing.

Cool, Palm Beach County received my ballot on September 29th as well but, they don't change the status to counted until after election day, but they will state if there is any error on the ballot when it's received. I don't see any error messages, so I should be good to go.

Dragonborn

Oct 30, 2017
Gonna vote next week in Texas once tax season is over and I have free time again - couldn't be more excited

Status
Not open for further replies.