• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
This website has 2 very handy maps, one for this year's elections and one showing the results of 2015's elections: https://dce2019.thestandnews.com/
It should automatically load the map of this year's elections (if you're seeing a lot of yellow you're seeing the right one), if you click on 上屆選情 on you can see 2015's results.

Yellow: pro-democracy hold
Yellow with another color in the bottom right corner: pro-democracy flip (color indicates who they took the seat from)
Red: pro-Beijing hold
Red with another color in the bottom right corner: pro-Beijing flip (none of those as of this moment)
Solid grey: independents

amD3oel.png

VYpIRRN.png

OP
OP
ADS

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
This website has 2 very handy maps, one for this year's elections and one showing the results of 2015's elections: https://dce2019.thestandnews.com/
It should automatically load the map of this year's elections (if you're seeing a lot of yellow you're seeing the right one), if you click on 上屆選情 on you can see 2015's results.

Thanks for this, I hadn't seen it. Makes the difference even more stark. Go Hong Kong!

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017

Yellow with another color in the bottom right corner: pro-democracy flip (color indicates who they took the seat from)
Red with another color in the bottom right corner: pro-Beijing flip (none of those as of this moment)

amD3oel.png

VYpIRRN.png

Wow, the pro-democracy party just destroyed everything in this election. It's crazy how many seats they flipped.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How did that even happen? I thought one of the demands was universal suffrage which wasn't granted, and that the CCP had to pre-approve candidates for certain positions?

MCee

Oct 28, 2017
Bay Area

amD3oel.png

VYpIRRN.png

These maps say it all. It's always nice to see when countries push back against autocracy. I hope what's happening there can reach the mainland.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The obvious question being how the CCP will react to this.
I don't think those elected hold any real power like the CCP does.

From the timestamp.

CNN: I want to ask her about the disctrict council election. How important are these elections?

Voter: Under the system the district council election is not very important, but in our heart this is very important. . .

Maybe something lost in translation?

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
How did that even happen? I thought one of the demands was universal suffrage which wasn't granted, and that the CCP had to pre-approve candidates for certain positions?

I don't think those elected hold any real power like the CCP does.

From the timestamp.

CNN: I want to ask her about the disctrict council election. How important are these elections?

Voter: Under the system the district council election is not very important, but in our heart this is very important. . .

Maybe something lost in translation?

HK District Council doesn't have any real political power. Its main function is to provide advice to the government about people's livehood, welfare, etc. This election is more about showing the political inclination of HKers.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
1500 votes seems crazy low even for the winners, no? How big are the districts?

Oct 27, 2017
What the protesters are calling for is direct elections for the Legislative Council and Chief Executive. This election is only for local councils.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the country with literal ethnic cleansing camps will honor the will of the people

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this can mean something in the long run. As it stands, this feels incredible right now.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
One step closer to the U.S. colonization. It's like countries can't rule themselves and they have to intervene in everything, amirite?

Yay.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an incredibly important result. Before, a lot of Westerners assumed that the protestors' views were accepted by the majority, but anybody who actually knows people from HK would understand that the situation is about as contentious as voting for Trump or Brexit. Dinner tables turned silent because actual discussion would eventually devolve into shouting.

Anyway, I felt that their right to self-determination was far more important than me paternalistically projecting my values onto them. I am pleased to see that their desires have been made absolutely clear.

Oct 2, 2018
It is a landslide win.

Not sure if it means anything as HK will go back to China... I expect there to be tears and hardship for the people in a couple of years unless the international community steps in.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Conspiratorial Rhetoric Over Multiple Posts; Prior Infraction for Similar Behavior
Something smells fishy when your protestors wave these:

And ask Trump for help. Trump. For help.

Some of them even want to go back to their colonial past. Remember when chinese people didn't have any rights and they died on the streets like rats? Yeah, me neither.

Seriously, guys, think a bit, when the Alt Right are chanting "free HK" "pro-democracy" as well...

:

This situation is way way more complicated than "China fights for democracy". These protests only happen in HK, a former British colony, is not a revolution, if the people of China were against the CCP, there would be riots in every state, like what happened in Venezuela.

Polaroid_64

Oct 25, 2017
Something smells fishy when your protestors wave these:

And ask Trump for help. Trump. For help.

Some of them even want to go back to their colonial past.

Seriously, guys, think a bit, when the Alt Right are chanting "free HK" "pro-democracy" as well...

:

This situation is way way more complicated than "China fights for democracy". These protests only happen in HK, a former British colony, is not a revolution, if the people of China were against the CCP, there would be riots in every state, like what happened in Venezuela.

Lol you actually doubled down.

Sorry, but you understand jack shit.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm proud of Hong Kong. The elections came at the right time and turned another page in the protests.

Now these new pro-democracy councillors have to do a good job with their actual day to day local duties and keep up the good will for the movement.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For reference, Sailent has apparently been posting anti-protester propaganda in other HK related threads, so it's best just to ignore their BS.

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good for the people of Hong Kong! I don't know if how much this will help in their struggle against the CCP (if at all), but I wish them all the best. A lot of folks I know that immigrated from mainland China had hoped that Hong Kong would prove what mainland China would eventually be.

I hope the best for them and all the other folks suffering from CCP oppression.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
For reference, Sailent has apparently been posting anti-protester propaganda in other HK related threads, so it's best just to ignore their BS.

I don't know what to say, any video that I posted with info, you can go and verify that info, instead of yelling "BS" or "propaganda" and see for yourself. When a conflict of this level is happening I usually like to hear both parties and try to find the truth or at least make my own idea. I'm not denying that there's a problem in HK or that people are suffering.

But things are escalating to violence, and I don't condone that, not for the police, not for the protesters.

All people think, and know, the news they watch are manipulated, yet they believe everything they say. I just like to watch ALL the news, from both sides, and try to find the differences. And who is lying.