• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017

Using "new multi-store world" in same tweet that is about 2 stores that were separated longer than Epic stopped making console exclusive games is something else.

Reinforces Sweeney is basically video game tweet version of Trump. No surprise, I've thought that for a long time!

Oct 31, 2017
I'm honestly hoping to see something similar to what Microsoft is doing for their Steam releases: you'll still need their account logged but it's a client-less integration that just happens at a API level.

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
So you will be able to use Steam overlay and the origin overlay at the same time? Or at least for games that wouldn't work with both overlays before like Apex? Nice.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Just having a unified friend list for multiplayer EA games is plenty for me to buy on Steam instead of Origin. Having 10 different friends lists with different people on all of them is such a pain in the arse.
This is pretty much the biggest issue with all the different clients. I don't care how little of a threshold there is to accessing these games, if I can't reach out to my friends (in way of friendlist, community feeds, events and such) while playing I'm just not interested.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent to see this confirmed. I'll be buying more EA games now because of this. I was never boycotting Origin or anything, but it was a hassle to use so I didn't bother most of the time. And the poor online population for several of their games on PC (namely Battlefront) put me off even more.

Hell, I might even buy Fallen Order at launch now if it's good.

Already on Steam. EA never took their old games down.
Wow I'm a dummy, thanks for the response

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
It's possible to get it if you have a cd key for the game and you contact customer support, they'll add a digital version to your origin library.
Oh yeah I forgot about that. They used to also let you use the code "I LOVE THE SIMS" on Origin to get a copy as well.

That's super weird, did they just remove it after giving all Sims 2 content away for free?
Yeah. It got delisted not long after.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

unknown.png

Ok this is weird.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017

Game Pass coming to Steam wouldn't surprise me. Microsoft has been very willing to put its games on Steam and has stated that they are about platform choice, especially with regards to PC.

As far as this news though, this is awesome. I just pre-ordered Fallen Order on Steam to celebrate.

Just give me all of the Mass Effect games on Steam.. and the Dragon Age games.. also... The Old Republic. I'll be set after that.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

Using "new multi-store world" in same tweet that is about 2 stores that were separated longer than Epic stopped making console exclusive games is something else.

Amusingly, its indeed not really what's happening, since as the GIbiz article states, they are aiming for a more frictionless experience on the Steam side, connecting accounts, crossplay etc. Sounds like the experience will get more "thin" as they work through it. Regardless, Steam seems to have been pretty supportive of all manner of other stores and integration methods, so long as Steam purchases can be fulfilled and managed directly by Steam - ie depots, dlc, marketplace etc
Fallen Order being a late addition, even doesn't have achievements "at launch" but will get it later, likely when they integrate across the two

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amusingly, its indeed not really what's happening, since as the GIbiz article states, they are aiming for a more frictionless experience on the Steam side, connecting accounts, crossplay etc. Sounds like the experience will get more "thin" as they work through it. Regardless, Steam seems to have been pretty supportive of all manner of other stores and integration methods, so long as Steam purchases can be fulfilled and managed directly by Steam - ie depots, dlc, marketplace etc
Fallen Order being a late addition, even doesn't have achievements "at launch" but will get it later, likely when they integrate across the two

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Well, he seems pretty jovial about it:

Well I asked if he was willing to comment about EA VP Mike Blank's comments in the gameindustry.biz story, we'll see if he responds. I have a pretty good track record, he's responded to me twice before (once was at like 1AM, I'm not sure why he was up that late responding to tweets but hey I guess when you're a billionaire you make your own schedule).

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
have they talked about premier or it's only "origin" access?
Only Origin Edit: EA Access(so only EA games). EA probably:
a) Does not want to offer the best service outside of their own control (i am still shocked at Access coming to Steam).
b) Does not have the rights to have those games in a subscription service outside of Origin.

Last edited:

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
Did gabe kill sweeneys dog or something

You see, it all started in the Fall of 1977. Tim had finally mustered up the courage to ask his high school crush, Becky, to the Winter dance. Stalking from afar, he slowly crept towards her locker. Little did he know, it'd be too late. A young man by the name of Gabe Newell had already stolen her heart. A defeated Timmy returned to his basement, devastated and distraught, swearing vengeance on this man named Gabe. No matter the cost.

Rebel1

Oct 25, 2017
You see, it all started in the Fall of 1977. Tim had finally mustered up the courage to ask his high school crush, Becky, to the Winter dance. Stalking from afar, he slowly crept towards her locker. Little did he know, it'd be too late. A young man by the name of Gabe Newell had already stolen her heart. A defeated Timmy returned to his basement, devastated and distraught, swearing vengeance on this man named Gabe. No matter the cost.

tenor.gif

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
who do we believe?!?!

giphy.webp
Yeah, the notion that EA was getting a 10% cut was really, really silly. The deal is probably Valve setting up and running EA Access, and maybe a commitment to not launch a competing subscription service for X quantity of months. Absolute most would be EA games getting the 20% cut immediately, but frankly I'd imagine pretty much all of EA new games moving forward would hit the $50 million threshold pretty quickly.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Some Gaben and EA CEO comments from EA's "Press Room":

EA CEO - Andrew Wilson
"This is the start of an exciting partnership with Valve that will see us innovating for PC players around the world," said Andrew Wilson, CEO of Electronic Arts. "Through our subscription, great games and more, we're excited to bring players in the Steam and Origin communities together with access to the best games, whenever and wherever they want to play."

Valve - Gaben
"This is a good day for gamers," said Valve's Gabe Newell. "We're excited to partner with EA to not only bring their great games and subscription service to Steam, but also to open up our communities to each other in an unprecedented way that will benefit players and developers around the world."

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
sad!

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

ZhugeEx has a weird anti-Steam flex since a while. Like when a proclaimed that big Publishers will be / are avoiding Steam (and all other 3rd party stores) to focus on their own stores AND the EGS instead. And he used two examples for his thesis: Activision and Electronic Arts.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Origo

Jun 1, 2019
Too bad our game on Origin won't be activable on Steam as it was when Origin launched and we could just add them on Origin with the key.

I hope they changed that and let us a way to do it even temporarly.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm. I look forward to his reply.

Although every other Twitter back and forth I've had with him had abruptly ended when he's been proven to be factually incorrect.

Last edited:

Chanser

Oct 27, 2017
Oh! Every time the thread that talks about the mass effect 3 sale goes up its other versions and not the pc one, thats why i thought it used the old points system still and never went on sale.
That shows how much i enter origin nowadays hahaha
Points system is still there, but they now offer DLC bundle for normal money.

Mozar

Oct 4, 2019
I don't see the point of introducing EA Access to Steam, given that everything goes through Origin anyway.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I just want Titanfall 2 to regain an online player base. I don't care that I'd have to abandon my G14 PS4 profile, I'd climb that ladder all over again.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see the point of introducing EA Access to Steam, given that everything goes through Origin anyway.

Origin acts as an authentication layer - just as RSC, Uplay, XBL etc
All fulfilment is entirely from Steam- depots, dlc, purchasing, refunds, updates, steamworks / other Steam features etc

From what EA have said, that process will get more frictionless overtime - eg Fallen Order has no Steam achievements now, but will get them later, likely as this is still early days and that integration is being worked on. Now is the beginning of that work, and they obviously have to work on getting Steam's version of EA access hooked up as they want it

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Worth it for Sweeney's tweets alone. Fuckin lol with the multi-store world thing again.