• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
I wonder what kind of stuff Valve had to agree to for this deal to happen?

it's a shame they couldn't make Origin Premier happen — Steam really needs a monthly service.
EA: Hey Valve, if you add support for EA Access we'll come back to Steam
Valve: Sure, no problem, we should probably be doing that anyway
EA and Valve: YAY MONEY

It might really be that simple.

Kitty Paws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 21, 2019
Is Origin not making EA as much money as they thought it would, or are Valve and EA so scared of the competition from the Epic Game Store that they decided to partner up?

I'm also puzzled by why people even care about the number of additional programs a game starts when you launch it. Would it be better if such programs would start in a silent mode, with no windows appearing? Most games actually do this, even before we start looking at the numbers of libraries most programs are loading these days.
As someone who had their antivirus completely messed up by Securom back in the day, I'm especially iffy about EA software running additional programs in the background. In any case running Origin is useless for a game bought on Steam, there is absolutely no need for such bloating.

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
The Verge has an article about this, Dead Prince, with some of the FAQ already answered:

"At the core, we are game makers, and our aspiration is to connect as many people as we can to the great games that we built and make it as frictionless as possible for them to do that," explained Mike Blank, senior vice president at EA. "So with more players playing more games and more platforms, frankly, we want to be where the players are." In EA's case, that means Steam.

Despite the fact that Steam and Origin are PC launchers that run on the same platform, EA is effectively treating the two storefronts as totally separate platforms. For example, if you've purchased EA games in the last eight years on Origin, there won't be any way to transfer those purchases to Steam — even if they're rereleased there.

That split also applies to EA Access on Steam, which is explicitly not the same thing as EA's Origin Access subscription service that it offers through Origin. As the name suggests, EA Access on Steam will apparently be similar to EA's console subscription services, as opposed to the larger catalog on Origin Access.

Maybe it would be good to add this at the OP!

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
Is Origin not making EA as much money as they thought it would, or are Valve and EA so scared of the competition from the Epic Game Store that they decided to partner up?
I highly doubt either of them are really scared of Epic. Origin could be underperforming, but I think that's a red herring. EA's tactics are changing. Look how heavily they're pushing their subscription service in this announcement. That's what this is about. They want as many subscribers as they can get.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

This is a quote direct from EA:

"At the core, we are game makers, and our aspiration is to connect as many people as we can to the great games that we built and make it as frictionless as possible for them to do that," explained Mike Blank, senior vice president at EA. "So with more players playing more games and more platforms, frankly, we want to be where the players are."

I'd say this makes it pretty clear that EA wanted a bigger audience for their games.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
How do I see EA Access on steam? I already have it on origin because its a pretty damn good service. Also I'm excited for games like Battlefield 5 and Apex to be on steam, BFV especially with updates if they keep improving it by next year can get a real shot in the arm with the new audience attracted through steam.
No point getting EA Access if you already have Origin Access. Origin Access seems superior besides the fact the games aren't Steam games.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Glad to hear some EA games are coming back to STEAM.

Won't really affect me with my Origin Premier sub but it would be nice if that was a transferable option as well.

Oct 28, 2017
Hope they implement steam achievements into the games they add. I'm not even someone who goes out of my way to get achievements, but it bothers me when they aren't there for reasons I don't fully understand.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Hope they implement steam achievements into the games they add. I'm not even someone who goes out of my way to get achievements, but it bothers me when they aren't there for reasons I don't fully understand.
Community guy for SW games said JFO at least will have Steam achievements but not at launch.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Despite the fact that Steam and Origin are PC launchers that run on the same platform, EA is effectively treating the two storefronts as totally separate platforms. For example, if you've purchased EA games in the last eight years on Origin, there won't be any way to transfer those purchases to Steam — even if they're rereleased there.

Very disappointing admission.

MILKGOLOLBAD

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 5, 2019
[
Not a small thing at all. It is huge news for people who prefer Steam, which is most people.

I don't know. Having been a 1-console-user for most of my gaming years and having experienced actual exclusive content and being denied it due to being on Playstation, this seems to me a pseudo-problem where one has to choose between two different stores on the same platform.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
[

I don't know. Having been a 1-console-user for most of my gaming years and having experienced actual exclusive content and being denied it due to being on Playstation, this seems to me a pseudo-problem where one has to choose between two different stores on the same platform.
I get that it's a small thing to you. But some people actually really appreciate having all of their games in one place and not splintering their friends lists across half a dozen clients. IMO you may not get it but surely you can respect the people that do.

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
From gamesindustry:

"Since the time we removed our games from Steam, there's been this dramatic increase in the number of gaming services, which you would think would be really good for players. But I think in many cases, it's the exact opposite. It creates more difficulty for players, and providing player choice -- from my perspective and speaking on behalf of EA -- is really critical. It's an opportunity to make it possible for people to play where they want, to reduce that fragmentation and make it more frictionless... Reducing that fragmentation is really important. It's the most player-first thing we can do."

"We want to make the experience for players who want to play their games on Steam or Origin as frictionless as possible, so we're working towards connecting our accounts together as well as enabling players to play together across both Steam and Origin so they can play the games with the people they want to play with regardless of which platform they play on," Blank says.

More here:

It seems that they want to avoid using the origin client through Steam so maybe, in the future, there will be only a log in required, like the xbox live integration with Steam.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
EA shut off the servers for BF2 a while ago, didn't they? I doubt they'll bring it back.
Nah, EA had nothing to do with that. BF2 used GameSpy for its multiplayer services (like many other non-Steam games did).
GameSpy was a subdivision of IGN, IGN got bought by another company and GameSpy was shut down later around 2014 or so.

Edit: GameSpy wasn't providing the "servers you've played on" but the whole backend infrastructure that was needed to run everything.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

I understand that you are in a much worse situation but having to choose between two different stores is a very reductive take on the whole situation. Steam is a platform by itself and it offers a whole lot of services and features that no one else does.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Are people talking at cross purposes because there are two games on Steam called Battlefront 2?

Edit: not two on Steam, just two games.

Last edited:

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Ideally this would allow us to migrate our existing origin library's over to steam if we want to and have them put legacy titles on there too but I assume this isn't going to work like that is it?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Imagine you could play some game on your console, but without your controller, friend list, achievements, no sales and everything else. It sucks.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Maybe I wasn't paying attention but this feels like it came out of nowhere for me.

The number of game storefronts on PC was escalating out of control, this feels like a nice step back.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
From gamesindustry:

More here:

It seems that they want to avoid using the origin client through Steam so maybe, in the future, there will be only a log in required, like the xbox live integration with Steam.

That is a great interview that fills me with hope for the future of EA and gaming in general. It's wonderful hearing the company talking about wanting to reduce friction, support customer choice and encourage openness.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

I especially like that part:
"Since the time we removed our games from Steam, there's been this dramatic increase in the number of gaming services, which you would think would be really good for players. But I think in many cases, it's the exact opposite. It creates more difficulty for players, and providing player choice -- from my perspective and speaking on behalf of EA -- is really critical. It's an opportunity to make it possible for people to play where they want, to reduce that fragmentation and make it more frictionless... Reducing that fragmentation is really important. It's the most player-first thing we can do."

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I especially like that part:
Seems like EA did an absolute 180° on their perception of walled-gardens. We should re-brand them to AE.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
That is a great interview that fills me with hope for the future of EA and gaming in general. It's wonderful hearing the company talking about wanting to reduce friction, support customer choice and encourage openness.

Yes, gaming could have successful future being inclusive, open and platform agnostic with healthy gaming communities, and without wars.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Apex Legends won't need Origin to open, when it releases on Steam. So the need for Origin is on a game-by-game basis, it seems.
Wonder how crossprogression/crossplay will work.
Yeah, that's a very interesting wrinkle, since I had assumed that half the point of this deal was to get more people installing Origin. I suppose with Apex Legends, that's kinda redundant (since it's already free-to-play), but it does make me wonder whether there's a set policy on Steam versions using Origin or if the only reason Fallen Order uses Origin is because switching to Steamworks a fortnight before release is a fine way to make a buggy mess. (insert EGS joke here)

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

I figured this would be the case.
He is more certain that third-party games included in Origin Access -- titles like Batman: Arkham Asylum or Darksiders III -- won't be included. And while subscriptions to either EA Access on Steam or Origin Access won't confer users the ability to use the other, EA is working on some integrations between the two.