• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Origin still needs to be installed according to SW: Fallen Order's store page. Which almost defeats the point to me. I guess it will make it easier to use Steam Remote Play with EA games though.

Yeah, it's not there yet, but I hope it's going there. If this move from EA was motivated by a forthcoming Steam "console" announcement (running Linux), this level of Origin cooperation will not be sufficient.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Origin still needs to be installed according to SW: Fallen Order's store page. Which almost defeats the point to me. I guess it will make it easier to use Steam Remote Play with EA games though.
Could be a super skinny version of origin though that just runs in the background that the player doesn't really see. At least I hope so. Still would like steam functionality instead but it is what it is.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
So their games will be available for sale on Steam? Because this just makes it sound like EA Access will be available on Steam or am I missing something?

meschio94

Jan 26, 2018
This is esstentially equivalent to adding a non-steam game to your library. You still need to download and install the origin client. Main difference now is you can buy EA Access with steam wallet.
Yeah, if only i can use steam services on origin games without becoming crazy, they tried evreything to broke it, thank god i only purchased 2 game from 2011, battlefield 3 at 15€ and titanfall 2 at 5€

Now i can consider their game again

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
It right in the OP that Steam and Origin players can play games together. It's not going to work the way you're thinking at all.
Uh yeah of course they can play together it literally requires the Origin client. Takes two seconds to go to the Steam page for the new Star Wars game and read this: "Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: EA on-line activation and Origin client software installation and background use "required.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Oh god please tell me my Apex account will transfer so I can dump Origin.

Edit: oh I see we're just launching Origin from Steam. Meh.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think EA sees the winds changing from "storefronts are where the money is" to "subscription services are where the money is." And like Microsoft, they get that the more places people can buy into your subscription service, the better.

Which is fine by me! I've got a decent Origin library already, but I think it bodes well for the future in general.

VerySerious

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't expecting EA Access support; I thought they'd just throw some older games onto Steam and call it a day. Nice!

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Steam partnering with EA to make sure their games don't appear on GOG, Windows Store, or EGS. Sigh...

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I barely bought any games on Origin I care about besides Battlefield and Mass Effect 3. Wonder if Apex will be coming to steam as well.
From EA's website:

In the coming months, players on Steam will also be able to play other major titles like The Sims™ 4 and Unravel Two. Multiplayer games—like Apex Legends™, FIFA 20, and Battlefield™ V—will become available next year, and players on both Origin and Steam will have the ability to play together.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
.....so are these games going to be region priced or kept as US prices.

because it doesn't seem that way with Jedi Fallen Order.

Their regional pricing either sucks or is non-existent. Sadly, that's becoming the norm with big publishers. Probably caused by a-holes region jumping from more affluent countries (like the US, UK, etc). The worst part is that Valve patched that loophole, so it isn't even a thing now, but pubs will always fuck the lower income countries, it's like their favorite pastime.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't see the point of bringing EA Access to Steam, considering everything's getting run through Origin anyway.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
This is esstentially equivalent to adding a non-steam game to your library. You still need to download and install the origin client. Main difference now is you can buy EA Access with steam wallet.
if you can download the game from steam, earn steam achievements, cards, and shit it's not the same as adding a non-steam game to the library at all, even if there's another layer of launcher involved.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Lol.

I guess EA is desperate enough for Steam's audience after MEA and Anthem flopping.

Not a huge fan of 'client launching another client', but curious to see how this 'integration' will work out.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
I hope they bring their back catalogue to Steam as well. And I hope we can synchronize our Origin and Steam libraries à la GOG connect.

I don't care at all about their subscription model or their newer games.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
uhm... this is HUGE, no? Can only be a good thing for their multiplayer playerbase. awesome!

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
You know, I never really had a problem with Origin, and I actually thought it was a solid client. But... as a long time Linux user, this is actually great news. Since I can now play my Origin library using Proton.

Though, I am curious, how will I be able to transfer my Origin purchases over to my Steam account?

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

yeah, I saw the Verge article clarifying that after I posted. seems like Origin Access Basic will remain a much better value library-wise, unless there's a shorter window for adding new EA games on EA Access (I assume it'll be the same ~6 months after launch as OAB, though)

for now, my plan is just to resubscribe to OAB for a month or so whenever Fallen Order gets added next year

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Could be a super skinny version of origin though that just runs in the background that the player doesn't really see. At least I hope so. Still would like steam functionality instead but it is what it is.
Yeah that would be nice. It'd be kinda like the way the Rockstar Social launcher works with GTA V on Steam. Just show a little splash of Origin logging in or whatever when a game is launched and then get out of the way so I don't have to interact with it.

Yeah, it's not there yet, but I hope it's going there. If this move from EA was motivated by a forthcoming Steam "console" announcement (running Linux), this level of Origin cooperation will not be sufficient.
Don't even get me hyped like that. I lost my hope for Valve giving Steam machines another try a long time ago.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their regional pricing either sucks or is non-existent. Sadly, that's becoming the norm with big publishers. Probably caused by a-holes region jumping from more affluent countries (like the US, UK, etc). The worst part is that Valve patched that loophole, so it isn't even a thing now, but pubs will always fuck the lower income countries, it's like their favorite pastime.
Well, not really when it pertains on Japanese publishers on Steam. Sega, Capcom, Bandai Namco has been fair about it.

Outside of it, Sony for its first party games.

Western developers are truly basura, like you said though.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017

I don't see that happening. They want eyeballs on their own store so they get all the money from the sales.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I was not there before for Jedi Fallen Order but I've got it pre-ordered already thanks to this move.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Just like I said in the other thread: LOL oh Timmy...

After all his constant shit talking, fear mongering and show boating, one of the biggest publishers who left Steam are now coming back.

LOL