• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
In this thread a lot of people post that don't know how well Codemasters fit into EAs protfolio and business strategy without even changing them much.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how they're going to change and monetize the F1 licence.

Classic embarrassing responses from ERA.

Respawn was acquired 3 years ago and they are doing better than ever and growing.

To be fair, they closed 2 studio that same year (EA Salt Lake and Visceral).

In this thread a lot of people post that don't know how well Codemasters fit into EAs protfolio and business strategy without even changing them much.

It doesn't really matter how they fit into EAs portfolio, what does matter is that EA will want to improve revenue to be more in line with their other sports offering. We'll see how or if it's going to impact Codemasters significantly or not in the long term.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I wonder how they're going to change and monetize the F1 licence.

To be fair, they closed 2 studio that same year (EA Salt Lake and Visceral)

Every publisher closes studios when games underperform or of they are a mess, see Visceral Games.

Thinking that EA is going to close the biggest studio for racing games when they want and they are investing in this genre is some dumb shit.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Every publisher closes studios when games underperform or of they are a mess, see Visceral Games.

Thinking that EA is going to close the biggest studio for racing games when they want and they are investing in this genre is some dumb shit.
They're the biggest studio for racing games right now, just like Maxis was the biggest studio for life simulators or BioWare was the biggest studio for RPGs. Things change over time and how EA will try to leverage Codemasters expertise will be interesting to see one way or another.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
We taking bets yet on how long it is until Codemasters get tasked with rebooting something they aren't remotely specialized in like Medal of Honor and then shut down 2 years later?

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Some of you are really beyond help.

This negativity is so fucking dumb and it's not even funny at this point

Is it negative when there is an established precedent of this behavior from EA and their studio acquisitions?

Why so defensive? I'm sure BioWare will be just fine 😉

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Well, they tried to buy Criterion to make Need for Speed games good and that didn't work, so what do you do then?
Try again of course!

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

Visceral only "underperformed" because EA decided that a horror franchise should become some kind of megabux tentpole IP, and set absurd financial expectations for DS3, while also larding it up with MTX.

I don't think anyone expects that EA are going to close Codemasters in the next few years. But people are also aware that they got bought by a company with such a bad reputation for eventually closing or wrecking studios that they literally have a section on Wikipedia about it.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Is it negative when there is an established precedent of this behavior from EA and their studio acquisitions?

Why so defensive? I'm sure BioWare will be just fine 😉

I'm not being defensive, I just don't like the usual doom and gloom when X publisher gets Y developer and the usual "EA meme" is a bit old at this point.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Well, they tried to buy Criterion to make Need for Speed games good and that didn't work, so what do you do then?
Try again of course!

In what way did it not work? Hot Pursuit 2010 was the highest rated NFS game since the PS2-era. It also sold extremely well. They absolutely pulled it out of the dumps that it was in.

Anyway, with EA suddenly receiving a big racing studio expansion I hope they move to greenlight a full arcade racer. I'm talking something like Beetle Adventure Racing or Burnout or in terms of just being an over the top experience that doesn't lean into realism outside of potentially having real cars and being driven through real locations.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Hopefully not the beginning of the end.

And hopefully enough financial stability to give us the sequel we've all been waiting for.

540467-vampire-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg

Raigor

May 14, 2020
They're the biggest studio for racing games right now, just like Maxis was the biggest studio for life simulators or BioWare was the biggest studio for RPGs. Things change over time and how EA will try to leverage Codemasters expertise will be interesting to see one way or another.

Bringing back old closures to try and predict that X developer is going to be next is also some dumb shit. Did people brought back the 12 studios killed by Sony when they acquired Insomniac Games? Did they do the same with MS? Or 2K when they also killed over 10 studios in the long history? Nope they didn't, but it always "bad EA they are the only ones shutting studios".

There's a clear pattern exclusive to EA when they acquire studios while the gamers close their eyes when it comes to others, because if this thread was about 2K Games welcoming Codemasters you ain't going to see people bringing 2K history and their grave of studios closed.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Bringing back old closures to try and predict that X developer is going to be next is also some dumb shit. Did people brought back the 12 studios killed by Sony when they acquired Insomniac Games? Did they do the same with MS? Or 2K when they also killed over 10 studios in the long history? Nope they didn't, but it always "bad EA they are the only ones shutting studios".

People do talk about Microsoft closing studios every new acquisition, actually

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
On the same day this comes out no less. EA, Activision and Take-Two all received investments from the Saudi sovereign investment fund.
www.aljazeera.com

Saudi wealth fund plays to win with $3.3bn in video-game stock

The video-game industry has been long favoured by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

While yes it is shit news, I wouldn't label it as an investment as the Saudi fund purchased publicly available stock.

I don't think EA, Activision or Take-Two could have blocked the sale as the stock would have been bought from private shareholders or funds. It's not like selling a stake in a private company (e.g. Sony's stake in Epic).

Outside of maybe sanctions, I'm not familiar with a mechanism by which a company can block the sale of its shares between two private parties.

Galava

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 27, 2017
Love the euphemism

"Welcomes to the family"

This sounds like someone joining a Mafia just to be shot in the back a year down the line.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Interested in seeing what codies do outside of F1 going forward. If they really do take a stab at Need For Speed it'd be good to finally have a good one of those again for the first time in over an entire console generation.

Holding out hope that we can get a new Overlord finally...

I have a feeling most people that have written here have not played a Codemasters game since Colin McRae Rally.
This definitely seems to be 100% accurate based on the responses in here 😬
The last one of these threads had people complaining that EA were going to make Codemasters into an annual release studio and it was just like "Motherfuckers, have you not looked at Codemaster's output in the past decade?"

Damn, I guess this means the end of Codemasters is near
hurr hurr this meme is still so funny.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Codemasters all the luck. I hope everyone there is getting a decent bonus.
Would like to see them make a Burnout game.

Oct 28, 2017
Trying to imagine the most heinous version of F1 Ultimate Team I can. Opening card packs and finding an 84 rated Hans the wheel changing mechanic. Only reason he isn't 90+ is he tripped last F1 season during a change and delayed it by a few seconds.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

There's a clear pattern exclusive to EA when they acquire studios while the gamers close their eyes when it comes to others, because if this thread was about 2K Games welcoming Codemasters you ain't going to see people bringing 2K history and their grave of studios closed.

Many people mention the studios Sony and MS have closed actually (same for Activision and Bizarre Creations for exemple), the difference is that EA's closures are more well known specifically because most of their defunct studio were highly successful for decades and the frequency in how they're closing them.

Oct 27, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
Trying to imagine the most heinous version of F1 Ultimate Team I can. Opening card packs and finding an 84 rated Hans the wheel changing mechanic. Only reason he isn't 90+ is he tripped last F1 season during a change and delayed it by a few seconds.
spending hundreds of dollars on UT card packs full of Andreas Seidl dupes to finally get that rare hologram-edition 92-rated Peter Bonnington

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
In what way did it not work? Hot Pursuit 2010 was the highest rated NFS game since the PS2-era. It also sold extremely well. They absolutely pulled it out of the dumps that it was in.
The whole Criterion making NFS good again thing just sort of petered out very quickly. It didn't stick.
My point was more that they're back at the same point they were when they bought Criterion. Need For Speed is once again at a low point, and once again they're seemingly trying to buy up another acclaimed racing dev to right the ship.

Oct 27, 2017
Classic embarrassing responses from ERA.

Respawn was acquired 3 years ago and they are doing better than ever and growing.

Not just that, but there's a certain amount of ignorance and/or denial about some of Codemasters' existing business model. I adore Dirt Rally 2.0 but that games approach to content and DLC was not popular, and it's only ceased to become an issue recently as the cost of the "complete" editions dropped to a reasonable price.

I'm sure we'll get an F1 Ultimate Team and all the rest of it that comes with being an EA Sports game, but unlike Madden and FIFA, F1 and Dirt Rally already belong to and fundamentally serve a growing industry - sim racing. Sim Racing and racing eSports will be a huge reason for this purchase and they don't need to mess about with what those games are already doing to benefit from that.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm going to miss Codemasters having four different engines across their various studios (if I'm remembering right). But I suppose it is kind of bonkers.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Not just that, but there's a certain amount of ignorance and/or denial about some of Codemasters' existing business model. I adore Dirt Rally 2.0 but that games approach to content and DLC was not popular, and it's only ceased to become an issue recently as the cost of the "complete" editions dropped to a reasonable price.

I'm sure we'll get an F1 Ultimate Team and all the rest of it that comes with being an EA Sports game, but unlike Madden and FIFA, F1 and Dirt Rally already belong to and fundamentally serve a growing industry - sim racing. Sim Racing and racing eSports will be a huge reason for this purchase and they don't need to mess about with what those games are already doing to benefit from that.
Yeah, EA said when they bought them that the growing Sim Racing market is a large part of why they purchased them. And they're expecting F1 to increase in popularity in the US I believe. So the F1 licensed games that Codies is already pumping out each year to mostly great response? Easy win for EA.

If they're lucky. It'll be mostly support studio for FUT and MP modes in Star Wars and BF.
This makes 0 sense.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
F1 will continue
I imagine some form of DiRT will as well. Idk though since they haven't been doing too well sales wise.
I would love it if EA made a deal with NASCAR and had them take a crack at that but idk how much money there is to be made there.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
F1 will continue
I imagine some form of DiRT will as well. Idk though since they haven't been doing too well sales wise.
I would love it if EA made a deal with NASCAR and had them take a crack at that but idk how much money there is to be made there.
The Dirt series have apparently been doing well enough for Codemasters. Their sales don't seem great but I'm guessing the budgets must also be pretty low.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Neither Maxis or BioWare are closed? They moved BioWare to a bigger office before the pandemic and pretty sure it wasn't that long ago that they opened a new Maxis studio in Austin, there is no indication they are planning to close those studios?

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Criterion wasn't making highly successful annual sports games before they were bought by the company that primarily makes annual sports games.
No, they made successful Burnout games before takeover, then they made one very successful Burnout game, a couple of NFS games, and now its a skeleton support studio for everything except racing. A name once known for quality arcade racers.