• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
With ZERO up-to-date AAA support from third-parties, the best selling third-party game on Switch is Minecraft (>1.5 million sales). Can't be compared to platforms like PS4/XB1 until third-parties actually release their heavy hitters on Switch. "Look at all those multi-million sellers on PS4 like Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, Call of Duty, and blah blah blah" when Switch didn't receive their newest entries is just asking for a skewed comparison.
The Switch is a 1st party box but I refuse to believe the bolded.
A switch exclusive star wars game with joycons for light savers would sell using burgers. EA have other priorities though and are as risk averse as they come.
It's 2020.
Not happening unless Nintendo funds it.

Deleted member 55311

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 26, 2019
Rockstar actually seems to be doing stuff (that LA Noire game, and I think that ports of the older GTA games got leaked a little while back), meanwhile at EA.....

One confirmed/released LA Noire port isn't anything when you have a large and successful multi-gen library like theirs. The system has been out since 2017 and that is all we have from them.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GTAV was suppossedly in the works and delayed due to storage. Even still T2 is doing service oriented titles like NBA2K. Ubi's doing a rethink in general of their service titles but they are still supporting Switch on the lower end with stuff like Brawlhallah. And that's setting aside other major publishers with titles like Overwatch, Fortnite, PSO2, DQX, DBXV2, etc. So even with this reductive framing you're still not accurate.

The larger point though is that most publishers are supporting Switch with a wider portfolio of titles and in that regard EA is very much the unique odd man out.

I'm sorry but you trying to shoehorn selective evidence into an argument that just doesn't work. You mentioned Capcom in the previous post and recently in their financial earning they highlighted their growth in revenue due to some key titles like Monster Hunter and RE2, none of which are on the Switch. T2 brings one title to the Switch but leaves out several major ones. There are some great 3rd party games on the Switch, but a whole lot of them are not on the Switch and that's ok because Nintendo's business model is different than Sony and Microsoft.

The point really is publishers are supporting Switch but selectively, just like EA is doing.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The lack of a Sims 4 port will forever be a mistake. The chance for a true portable Sims EA. God damn it.

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
The Switch is a 1st party box but I refuse to believe the bolded.

It's based on the Wikipedia page (if you don't count Mario + Rabbids). The problem is that you can't find concrete sales data from anywhere else other than Japan. So even if the best selling third-party title isn't Minecraft, we still have no idea unless the publisher announce it themselves. There are plenty of third-party million sellers on the Switch that haven't been announced, and has only been vaguely mentioned in Nintendo's reports.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whhaat, fortnite is on the switch, overwatch is on the switch with overwatch 2 on the way, there's tons of games with microtransactions and/or f2p already on switch, this has neverr been a good excuse

2 games don't make a strong argument. There's a ton of games on Switch, but there's also another ton that's not. EA isn't a special case.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I think every third party, not just EA, think like this. "As long as Mario is there, our games don't sell well". They said this many times, Capcom, Namco and even Sega. during Wii and 3DS era and they are right. Mario do steal sales from other games. When he's around, chances of other games to sell drop drastically. That's not a healthy ecosystem.

Nintendo needs to do what they did on Nintendo DS, go easy on Mario. Instead of spamming out endless Mario games focus on the IPs. Let third parties have some breathing space and allow some of the newer generation of gamers, especially teenagers (who have little interest in colorful games like Mario) to the Switch. Otherwise hardware sales are gonna stuck at somehwere as there are no 100 million Mario and Zelda fans in the world.
This is absolute gold. Nintendo should strangle their biggest IP in the hopes that maybe possibly EA might give them a second glance? Amazing business acumen!

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this had more to do with the cartridge size and I suspect you'll see GTA5 on Switch eventually. It's the best selling console in the world.

GTA5 is also on PS3. It doesn't make sense for GTA5 not come to Switch unless Take 2 thinks Switch can't generate meaningful revenue with GTA Online.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering Switch is able to play last-gen games competently, a generation in which EA really thrived (Dragon Age 1-2, Mass Effect trilogy, Dead Space trilogy, Crysis trilogy, Mirror's Edge, some of the best Battlefield games, the many excellent PopCap ports which would do insanely well on the Switch, I could go on), it's odd to see nothing really carried over yet. It would be fairly easy and cheap to do. Even discounting license hell situations like FIFA or Need For Speed (or the judiciary hell of Amalur), they have so much stuff to pick from for quick and dirty remasters that they could sell on Switch at high prices as the userbase clearly proved they buy at that price too (Saints Row III was 40, solo Devil May Cry games from the PS2 were 20, Wii U games are 60, etc.).

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't played a single EA published game since BF3. If anything, this decision improved my enjoyment of the medium overall. EA ignoring the Switch actually increases the value of the console.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
I think every third party, not just EA, think like this. "As long as Mario is there, our games don't sell well". They said this many times, Capcom, Namco and even Sega. during Wii and 3DS era and they are right. Mario do steal sales from other games. When he's around, chances of other games to sell drop drastically. That's not a healthy ecosystem.

Nintendo needs to do what they did on Nintendo DS, go easy on Mario. Instead of spamming out endless Mario games focus on the IPs. Let third parties have some breathing space and allow some of the newer generation of gamers, especially teenagers (who have little interest in colorful games like Mario) to the Switch. Otherwise hardware sales are gonna stuck at somehwere as there are no 100 million Mario and Zelda fans in the world.

Dear Nintendo, if you ever want to perform worse than you did during the Wii U days then please follow this advice.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
The only EA game I want on the Switch is Crysis. Ain't ever gonna happen. It wouldn't even if EA supported the platform. So...

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
EA knows their talk - well, we don't expect to compete with titles selling close to and over 20m so we won't even try to sell the usual 1-3m we could actually do.

Not that I would buy them but there are a few last gen ports that would be awesome for a lot of people on the Switch. From Dead Space to the Sims and stuff that could work like C&C and Red Alert. They would sell.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd play the crap out of Madden Switch, and I don't even bother buying new Madden on PS4 anymore. Maybe I'm in the minority but I can imagine "portable, full Madden" would sell absolute gangbusters.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Why is EA so bad at handling their own back catalog?
They have 30 years of amazing games and amazing ip and would just do fantastic if was just ported and made to work on the switch and not talking like full remaster or anything just ports with "little effort".
Yes off course it takes and there are risk I understand that but start small and see how it goes and adjust according what sticks and what people cater to.

But nope.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Thanks for the kind words. :)

Seriously morons is an harsh word, but I can't stop thinking there definitely is some irrationality on the way EA handles this.
Saying "most sold games are first party games" is dumb when the only real and serious efforts are first party... It takes time and investment to build an audience, not doing this is short sighted...

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
This thread looks like a weird opened time capsule, with lots and lots of posts that reek of the Wii era XD

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Whatever the reasons for EA not investing in Switch ports of smaller, less hardware intensive titles, it's still an incredibly disappointing position to have when a system is doing so well.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the kind words. :)
Obv. talking about the higher IPs that make these kind of calls - not every single dev associated with one of th biggest gaming publisher in the World.

EA being called out for what they have delivered so far in Switch shouldn't be that surprising.

If the plattform isn't the right fit for them - that's fine. But always framing it in a way that makes it seems like they tried their best but those Nintendo fans won't buy anything but Mario games is ridiculous - when there are plenty of non- Nintendo games performing we on Switch.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
Never mind the Switch, the Wii U was a HD console. And at the time, it was an 'unprecedented partnership' for EA. They just made terrible decisions like porting over Mass Effect 3 for £60 instead of a trilogy collection and having no way to get the DLC. And a version of Fifa which was based on legacy editions. Ugh.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
always framing it in a way that makes it seems like they tried their best but those Nintendo fans won't buy anything but Mario games is ridiculous - when there are plenty of non- Nintendo games performing we on Switch.

Even their crappy lazy fifa version does well (maybe even better than what they expected) but they don't say much about that for some reason.

But still, the biggest and stupidest decision imo is excluding de facto Nintendo platform from getting any star wars games. That is beyond dumb.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
"Sorry investors, but Switch owners have taste. They wouldn't buy our crap.". ;-)

Mario + Rabbids by Ubisoft was quite succesful. Maybe BioWare could develop a new Golden Sun for Switch.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
Although thinking back, the Wii U version of Need For Speed Most Wanted was really good, although it came out much later than the other versions. It was basically Burnout Paradise 2. Had lots of gamepad-related features, like changing the time of day on-the-fly or a weird co-driver mode where 2 people could control one car. I'll stop my tangent.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I don't miss them one bit.
Agreed.
Sucks for those who play on the Switch and are fans of EA games (I like DragonAge and Fifa myself), but I don't really care anymore if they're doing something with the platform or not.
Too many games they release are cash-grabs anyway, which I don't mind not having on the Switch.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
If Nintendo released their games on other systems they would probably be among the most sold games there as well.

There's some truth to the sentiment I guess. If EA released games on the Switch I would certainly not buy them, same as I'm already not buying them on PC and PS4.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo must be lying to investors. Somehow both first party and third party sales increased this fiscal year but that's clearly impossible.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
This is absolute gold. Nintendo should strangle their biggest IP in the hopes that maybe possibly EA might give them a second glance? Amazing business acumen!
I think that is what Sony is doing a bit. They're releasing their heavy hitters in Spring, so the third parties can have Christmas, even though Playstation usually does well during black friday.

Nintendo could think about doing something similar. However, the kind of games Nintendo makes obviously need the holiday season more, so it won't happen.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The answer is plain and simple. The excuses are made because of Frostbite. That is the reality of the situation. Half-assed ports of their sports titles run on a different engine for the Switch and get relegated to legacy edition. And yet despite putting the target the back of the games as being the poorer, worse off, product, apparently they still do okay and get put on the Switch but they are unwilling or simply just not interested in investing in the Switch at all.

EA is doing the definition of concern trolling and derailing the conversation of what the actual cause is. They are concerned that Nintendo's top titles are top titles which has no bearing on anything at all. Them looking into what might be good for the platform and what might not is also BS when game franchises like the Sims has always been a good fit for Nintendo systems, and have been on Nintendo systems for decades, enough to even warrant sequels and spinoffs also hitting their systems. Yet something like that would not make sense for the demographic? It's BS logic because there is hardly any logic to EA's statements regarding the Switch for the past few years now because they are excuses for their own engines not supporting the Switch so they are unable to quickly turn around and port them. This statement is almost a word for word repeat of last time.

Now, some of this could be alleviated and do what Capcom does in re-releasing their back catalog, but that is not something that interests EA at all right now.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
If Nintendo released their games on other systems they would probably be among the most sold games there as well.

There's some truth to the sentiment I guess. If EA released games on the Switch I would certainly not buy them, same as I'm already not buying them on PC and PS4.
EA better hope Nintendo never goes third party or there will be no place to hide.

Jun 2, 2019
Most big AAA publishers just can't compete with Nintendo games on Nintendo systems. Publishers, when honest, have said as much.

You need to build an audience for that. Some companies understand that way better than others. Nobody coming from the Wii, the Wii U or the 3DS would blindly buy games from EA because there hasn't been barely anything good, or they just disrespect those consoles' audiences. When was the last time EA put some effort in a Nintendo console game? The cartoonized Fifa and NFS games?

Compared to that, Ubisoft at least tried to earn the Nintendo audience trust in both the handheld and home console space for example, they even re-released the Kenway saga being more than mere ports after releasing them on Wii U and failing sales wise.

EA has been nurturing their Xbox and Playstation ecosystems' audience for a very long time, they can't expect the same results from the neglected Nintendo ecosystem

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
It's not even very eloquent or elaborate.

It's straight up middle finger which means that supbar FIFA no Madden and that's a f***ing shame.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
Ironically Microsoft is one of the strongest supporters of Switch as a Western Developer.
They don't seem afraid of Nintendo's first party.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
EA doesn't even release the yearly FIFA demo on the eShop - that's really all you have so say.

They know it would be "bad" for them to actually release something that could sell big numbers in Switch because it would show shareholders that there is a viable market on the plattform and they could be pressured into supporting another plattform more seriously.

These kind of responses we been getting only work because they aren't releasing anything that could proof the opposite ...Sims on Switch seems like such a no brainer lol. People aren't event asking for their AAA titles targeting the latest console tech.

But no Garden Warfare when Splatoon is has a 10m audience on the console ?

Fifstar

Oct 27, 2017
I think that is what Sony is doing a bit. They're releasing their heavy hitters in Spring, so the third parties can have Christmas, even though Playstation usually does well during black friday.

Nintendo could think about doing something similar. However, the kind of games Nintendo makes obviously need the holiday season more, so it won't happen.

Who knows, if a 3rd party would really put weight behind a AAA game for switch, I imagine Nintendo would let them have some breathing space, seeing how successful they are with their evergreen titles (and in their own long term interest obviously).
On the other hand, Nintendo's sales in the holidays is mainly due to families and presents for kids, so an adult 3rd party games might not profit that much from being the spotlight games in that season as they do on PS4.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Other than the Mass Effect trilogy, they have nothing I want to play on the Switch so that's fine by me.
They have nothing that isn't crippled by Frostbite 3 to run on Switch.
I don't get the cryarsing. Isnt EA universally hated so why are people bothered?
If people really didn't care for EA they wouldn't talk about them so much.

The thing about EA is they sit on some of the greatest IP of gaming. Battlefield, BioWare IP and Star Wars for the time being. People want those things to be good so when they're frequently not, not to mention Dead Space, EA gets the flack. People want these IP to thrive and they want EA to do right by it.