• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
We randomly were discussing something regarding Battlefield, which is what the tweet is about. But it funnily fits this thread as well! :D
Well, I can agree the Battlefield threads/discussion on Reset have mostly been a hot, dumpster fire---especially after the TTK shit was reverted. But I personally don't think it fits this thread well. Just my two cents. I could be wrong.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
People are happy to criticize EA for how they handled the Star Wars license, gaming-wise. But they all seem to forget how LucasArts themselves handled their IP for long stretches during the 90s and 00s...

Like the fact that they have cancelled more games than EA in their last few years, like 1313 and First Assault.

Or the fact that their only well-received and beloved non-Lego Star Wars game in their final 7 years was... developed by an EA studio (The Old Republic).

Should EA have done more? As a fan, I would say yes. Are people very quick to forget that the very people who owned Star Wars arguably did a worse job for many years?

They sure do.

People also seem to ignore that with the cost of the license, and the fact that Disney loves money a lot- so any dreams of EA losing the license meaning that suddenly a developer like Platinum will get to do a hardcore niche game is a pipe dream regardless.

you sound like a brand manager all right...

I'll never get the concept of people defending multinational corporations that have layers upon layers of people making decisions and yet people have to go out there and defend them with your very life.

No, they make mistakes. Call them out for it. Disney, I am sure, has a clause in the contract. But we shall see where they go.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
you sound like a brand manager all right...

I'll never get the concept of people defending multinational corporations that have layers upon layers of people making decisions and yet people have to go out there and defend them with your very life.

No, they make mistakes. Call them out for it. Disney, I am sure, has a clause in the contract. But we shall see where they go.
Lucas Arts and also at the end of the day a privately held family business

People doesnt judge them the same way as EA.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
BF2 is actually pretty good right now. Had it launched in the current state they would have had a game that people liked and it wouldn't be a dead game. It gets boring pretty fast BUT the mtx and progression is in a good state.

Definitly a sale item at least. Right now it's 449 NOK = fifty bucks.

The VR mission, I assume it is this one, appears free though and I could "purchase" and download it too my PS4 without BF2 but when I try to start it it says it requires the BF2 application.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
People are happy to criticize EA for how they handled the Star Wars license, gaming-wise. But they all seem to forget how LucasArts themselves handled their IP for long stretches during the 90s and 00s...
I remember pretty well how we were drowning in high quality Star Wars games in the early to mid 2000s. I mean we got 2 Rogue Squadron games, 2 KOTORs, 2 Battlefronts, Republic Commando, Jedi Knight and many more in a timespan of 5 years.

EA gave us 2 x hot garbage with a microtransaction cherry on top in 5 years.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
Why would Nintendo lock themselves into a long-term licensed game deal for Star Wars?

Money? Why wouldn't it work?

Labo Starfighter
Darth Vader in Smash
RPG from Monolithsoft

Not to mention that Factor 5 have a READY-MADE, unreleased Rogue Squadron game that they're hoping to port to Switch, which I could almost guarantee would be more beloved by fans of video games and fans of Star Wars than those awful Battlefront games.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God of War 2005-2013: 6 games
God of War 2014-2019: 1 game

Should Sony let someone else handle God of War?

Why is "number of games released per year" considered to be some valuable metric for measuring successful IP management?

I can't think of any long-standing IPs that see as many releases now as they did in the 32-bit era; game development now is just too different to support the model that Lucasarts had. Only Call of Duty and maybe Assassin's Creed seem capable of sustaining single annualized releasess.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017

Labo Starfighter
Darth Vader in Smash
RPG from Monolithsoft

Not to mention that Factor 5 have a READY-MADE, unreleased Rogue Squadron game that they're hoping to port to Switch, which I could almost guarantee would be more beloved than those awful Battlefront games.
Sega makes more sense, they have Creative Assembly and Relic, we could get an RTS; and one can hardly do better than that.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Do youtubers like Jim, ReviewTech, and Boogie just read era threads and reddit, then release their own video with their thoughts?

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's not all EA's fault though. Star Wars games have been very messy to make before EA signed this agreement. Star Wars games are mishandled on many levels, especially the highest executive ones and bureaucracy often gets in the way.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
If these games sold so well then why where they at bargain bin price level weeks/months after release?

Games going on sale doesn't mean that said games are selling bad. As an example, FIFA 19 was 50% off for the Black Friday period, yet I'm pretty sure the game sold stupid amounts of units. Promotions, sales, and everything else related are happening all the time, and are in no way an indication of a game overperforming or underperforming. While a promotion might be driven due to a game underperfoming or a frozen price due to a game overperforming even with its initial price, it shouldn't be taken as a default for one or the other.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Waiting for Jedi Fallen Order to get axed anytime soon. Stig deserves better than to be working on a fucking SW game that may not see the light of day. Did you see how they even announced that game? Easily the worst 'announcement' of any game I've ever seen.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Games going on sale doesn't mean that said games are selling bad. As an example, FIFA 19 was 50% off for the Black Friday period, yet I'm pretty sure the game sold stupid amounts of units. Promotions, sales, and everything else related are happening all the time, and are in no way an indication of a game overperforming or underperforming. While a promotion might be driven due to a game underperfoming or a frozen price due to a game overperforming even with its initial price, it shouldn't be taken as a default for one or the other.
It makes sense for FIFA because of the microtransactions. This wasn´t the case with the first Battlefront though and the second clearly didn´t perform on the level that EA had in mind.

Imagine what a Sony studio could do with a Star Wars game.
Imagine what any good studio/publisher that has even a shred of artistic integrity left could do with a Star Wars game.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

Why is "number of games released per year" considered to be some valuable metric for measuring successful IP management?

I can't think of any long-standing IPs that see as many releases now as they did in the 32-bit era; game development now is just too different to support the model that Lucasarts had. Only Call of Duty and maybe Assassin's Creed seem capable of sustaining single annualized releasess.
1 studio vs what? 5? Not really a fair comparison. The fact only DICE have something to show is poor by EA.

Last edited:
OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

If GoW 2018 was an unfinished MXT pushing den of mediocrity that doubled as a serious PR disaster then yeah, someone else would probably be better suited to handling it

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
So the plan is to release the next game sometime in 2020. So it will miss the trilogy finale Episode 9 as well. Wow.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Look at what Sony did with Spiderman and what EA's doing with Star Wars. If I were Disney, I'd bite the bullet and start looking for other partners.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Definitly a sale item at least. Right now it's 449 NOK = fifty bucks.

The VR mission, I assume it is this one, appears free though and I could "purchase" and download it too my PS4 without BF2 but when I try to start it it says it requires the BF2 application.

Ya it's not worth $50 I bought it for $10 on sale. I would recommend waiting for another sale. It just doesn't have longevity but it's fun for a week of on and off play. I'm not sure about the vr stuff.

SuperSunBro

Dec 29, 2017
It sounds like EA is boxed in by the terms of the contract they signed and Disney's policies on Star Wars lore. Disney doesnt seem to know what to do with Star Wars now and I wonder what they will do after episode 9.
But there has to come to a point when the deal costs more than it i worth for EA. Because the deal is so complex it is hard to see anyone leaving the contract before it's expiration.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Yes the license should be taken away. Mostly because it should never have been given to 1 publisher anyway.

In 5 years they have released 2 very basic, very safe battlefront games. It's saddening that battlefront 2 from 2005(I think) did more Than EA's efforts. I'm sure respawn will make a great game, however I'd love to see Ubisoft do a open world game, or rockstar.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1 studio vs what? 5? Not really a fair comparison. The fact only DICE have something to show is poor by EA.
The 2002-2006 Star Wars games were from like a half dozen developers or more and that doesn't stop people from comparing them to EA's output. And there was certainly a time when Sony gave God of War to other developers to increase output (Ready at Dawn made the PSP titles). "Imagine if Platinum made God of War!"

The grander picture is just that it's probably no longer in an IP holder's interest to try and pump out games like that anymore, and it's kind of by design that 3 Star Wars games didn't come out in the last 10 months. Even if the Visceral game hadn't gone down the tubes, that'd really only be 3 major releases since the start of the generation.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Honestly, Microsoft should try for the license next. While it would keep games to Xbox One and PC, the potential is real.

Imagine 1313 redone by the kickass new team at The Initiative, or a KOTOR reboot by Obsidian. Turn 10 and/or Playground Games would make an awesome podracing game. Ninja Theory doing a hack and slash Jedi/Sith game would be awesome, and some members at The Coalition who made flight simulator could make the new X-Wing/TIE Fighter. InXile could make an SRPG/CRPG in the classic style allowing for a more modestly budgeted but thoroughly deep Star Wars experience.

We could also get a Star Wars themed Minecraft on consoles, 343 Industries can develop or license their new engine for a Star Wars FPS, etc.

If they go for the whole Lucasarts catalog, they could expand gamepass and give series such as Monkey Island a new lease on life. Monkey Island DLC in Sea of Thieves anyone? Or maybe Rare can make a new Indiana Jones game.

Mind you, all of this is before Microsoft builds more studios or buys more. Imagine if the rumored IO deal goes through and we get a Hitman style Mandalorian game, or they buy Turtle Rock and we get an Evolve style game (without the microtransaction bs) with Rancors, Wampas and the Sarlacc pit.

They can even outsource. Also, Microsoft is investing a lot of money in their teams and helping them grow substantially allowing for multiple projects, so these shouldn't harm development of other IPs too much. The success of them may even help fund future titles.

Add in Gamepass day 1 and I think we're gold. Besides, it seems Sony and Nintendo are getting all the MARVEL love anyways and Star Wars has fallen on hard times, so Microsoft could really help rehabilitate the image.

Dec 9, 2017
Look at what Sony did with Spiderman and what EA's doing with Star Wars. If I were Disney, I'd bite the bullet and start looking for other partners.
Two totally different situations. If Marvel was placing the same requirements on Insomniac that Lucasfilm is placing on EA where everything has to be funneled back to them for canon approval that game could have easily have gotten stuck in development hell as well.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The 2002-2006 Star Wars games were from like a half dozen developers or more and that doesn't stop people from comparing them to EA's output. And there was certainly a time when Sony gave God of War to other developers to increase output (Ready at Dawn made the PSP titles). "Imagine if Platinum made God of War!"

The grander picture is just that it's probably no longer in an IP holder's interest to try and pump out games like that anymore, and it's kind of by design that 3 Star Wars games didn't come out in the last 10 months. Even if the Visceral game hadn't gone down the tubes, that'd really only be 3 major releases since the start of the generation.
You'd have a point if EA didn't have a bunch of studios working on Star Wars games, that just haven't delivered yet. Respawn will likely deliver at least so 2 of them would have something to show. And I do think the deal will end strong at least, but it's like they completely missed the first wave of EA Star Wars games, outside of DICE.

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
They destroyed sports games and turned them into card fest. No surprise they botched this also. Activision or Ubisoft would have had more games out in this time frame.

Fuck that garbage company.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
It sounds like EA is boxed in by the terms of the contract they signed and Disney's policies on Star Wars lore. Disney doesnt seem to know what to do with Star Wars now and I wonder what they will do after episode 9.
But there has to come to a point when the deal costs more than it i worth for EA. Because the deal is so complex it is hard to see anyone leaving the contract before it's expiration.

I don't think EA would create amazing Star Wars games without those restrictions, just a feeling i have based on EA's recent non-Star Wars games.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Labo Starfighter
Darth Vader in Smash
RPG from Monolithsoft

Not to mention that Factor 5 have a READY-MADE, unreleased Rogue Squadron game that they're hoping to port to Switch, which I could almost guarantee would be more beloved by fans of video games and fans of Star Wars than those awful Battlefront games.
You don't know that the unreleased Rogue Squadron is something Nintendo would publish or that Disney would approve.

Not to mention your other examples range from pie-in-the-sky to impossible. There's no way a Star Wars character would ever appear in Smash. And why would Nintendo saddle studios like Monolith Soft with an IP that they may not want to work on and would require constant supervision and approval from Disney and Lucasfilm?

Brinksman

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017

Isn't this theoretically half the purpose of an enthusiast press? If I presume there's anything really revelatory going unsaid on this topic out of a disconnect with this particular community, there are still tens of outlets farting around which will likely jump to publish anonymous editorials representing the EA position. Now if it's held that the wider audience are equally unreceptive and that the argument is to be wasted on everyone, however persuasive, that's another thing.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like I'm writing this in every jim sterling thread but I really like his material. I really though that Dingo man burger was hilarious. I enjoy every episode even if its somewhat obvious rants sometime.

I also enjoy theese threads so keep posting.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Disney shouldn't lock the star wars license to any developer or publisher anymore imo.

Anyway, I can't wait until the license deal with EA expires. Their games just aren't for me anymore.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Honestly, Microsoft should try for the license next. While it would keep games to Xbox One and PC, the potential is real.

Imagine 1313 redone by the kickass new team at The Initiative, or a KOTOR reboot by Obsidian. Turn 10 and/or Playground Games would make an awesome podracing game. Ninja Theory doing a hack and slash Jedi/Sith game would be awesome, and some members at The Coalition who made flight simulator could make the new X-Wing/TIE Fighter. InXile could make an SRPG/CRPG in the classic style allowing for a more modestly budgeted but thoroughly deep Star Wars experience.

We could also get a Star Wars themed Minecraft on consoles, 343 Industries can develop or license their new engine for a Star Wars FPS, etc.

If they go for the whole Lucasarts catalog, they could expand gamepass and give series such as Monkey Island a new lease on life. Monkey Island DLC in Sea of Thieves anyone? Or maybe Rare can make a new Indiana Jones game.

Mind you, all of this is before Microsoft builds more studios or buys more. Imagine if the rumored IO deal goes through and we get a Hitman style Mandalorian game, or they buy Turtle Rock and we get an Evolve style game (without the microtransaction bs) with Rancors, Wampas and the Sarlacc pit.

They can even outsource. Also, Microsoft is investing a lot of money in their teams and helping them grow substantially allowing for multiple projects, so these shouldn't harm development of other IPs too much. The success of them may even help fund future titles.

Add in Gamepass day 1 and I think we're gold. Besides, it seems Sony and Nintendo are getting all the MARVEL love anyways and Star Wars has fallen on hard times, so Microsoft could really help rehabilitate the image.

Again, it means the IP is limited to one console if Microsoft have the license. I've no doubt some of their studios would make amazing games, Playground would do a very good space game imo, but Star Wars is too big to not have on the other consoles.

Needs to be a multi platform publisher.

SuperSunBro

Dec 29, 2017
I don't think EA would create amazing Star Wars games without those restrictions, just a feeling i have based on EA's recent non-Star Wars games.

I also dont know; my personel wish is for a Star Wars RTS game for example. Since RTS AAA games are dead and they dont work well with microtransactions it is unlikely they will come up with something.
But EA has shown it has the ability and willingness to make major changes and effort. BF2 has had many changes and content additions since the controversy a over year ago. It is a great game.
Assuming Disney is against another KOTOR while EA still has the talent and expertise to make another, Disney's conditions become the limiting factor.