• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
I'm tired of these hot takes that refuse to actually examine the business/contractual reasons why EA may not actually be pumping out SW games. You think EA hates money or something? That they just routinely buy expensive licenses to then do fuck all with them? But, these are the kind of poorly sourced rage videos I expect from Jim.

This so much.

Remember reading stories from the Marvel Heroes dev how regorous the control of Marvel was even changing small things on costumes.

I can only imagine Lucasfilm being more regorous.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I'm tired of these hot takes that refuse to actually examine the business/contractual reasons why EA may not actually be pumping out SW games. You think EA hates money or something? That they just routinely buy expensive licenses to then do fuck all with them? But, these are the kind of poorly sourced rage videos I expect from Jim.

It's not really a hot take. The entire video paints a pretty good picture why EA has botched SW. You choosing to still think EA has done the best they can doesn't make his video a hot take.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
It's not really a hot take. The entire video paints a pretty good picture why EA has botched SW. You choosing to still think EA has done the best they can doesn't make his video a hot take.

I mean, have you looked at what the actual people who owned Star Wars (LucasArts/ Film) did with the SW games over many, many years? Can't say that EA is doing any worse than them...

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean, have you looked at what the actual people who owned Star Wars (LucasArts/ Film) did with the SW games over many, many years? Can't say that EA is doing any worse than them...

Yeah but doing just as badly or slightly better than someone else who did a crap job is hardly a glowing endorsement or a compelling argument against them losing the IP

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly Respawn should be making Anthem and Bioware should be doing a fucking KOTOR. its so obvious its makes me angry lol

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
I think they have tried to make another Kotor game, or Bioware have at least, but the pitches are always shot down

Not enough MXT potential I guess

It sucks because Bioware are right there

KotOR 3 would have the same potential for microtransactions as Dragon Age 4, which they are making. As in, they can slap on a gratuitous MP mode onto it. Probably more, people are more likely to pay big money to play dress up with iconic star wars stuff.

I think its really about preferring to invest in their own IP.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's fine that they have a Star Wars license. But it shouldn't be exclusive.

Yeah they should lose exclusivity but they should still be able to make Star Wars games if they want to

I think its really about preferring to invest in their own IP.

Yeah probably, and I think that's also partly why Ubisoft dropped PoP and moved towards Assassin's Creed

But that just makes signing a 10 year deal for a licencee really odd, if they didn't really want to make the most of it

Meia

Oct 26, 2017

At this point, I'd almost think it's equally likely EA buys game companies just to shoot them in the back of the head when the time comes to have less competition. There's almost no other explanation for the gross level of incompetence the company has shown in the last decade. For fuck's sakes, you HAVE Bioware and don't put them on a new KotOR game, because while it probably would be profitable, it wouldn't be profitable *enough*. That has been EA's track record with decisions for literal years now.

"Single player game, can it have MTX? No? Not getting greenlit."

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
What are the business reasons for green lighting and cancelling several games in a row?

If someone is mismanaging a project, then it's reasonable to want to give it to someone who might not fuck it up

I went into a bunch of them in a thread I made, look it up.

But, to quickly list a couple reasons:
-The cost of the license including Disney's cut of the profits.
-The limitations placed on the license due to Disney's heavy control of the lore as a result of their "everything is canon" approach.
-The length of the contractual agreement, specifically the ability to earn or add content to EA developed SW titles post-deal exclusivity expiration. For example, can they add content/DLC to Jedi Fallen Order after the deal expires in 2023? And, do they get to share in the profits of such post-deal DLC?
-The sales potential of the license v. EA original IP. This couples with point number one. In other words, if a MP focused SW shooter can only sell, at best, 14 million units (which they don't get the full profits from and comes with heaps of restrictions) meanwhile an EA original shooter sells 15 million units where they take the full profits of and have full creative control over, which do you think EA will prioritize.

No, it doesn't. It's the same hot take dumb reasons everyone else states without examining the actual business reasons EA might be languishing so much with he license.

At this point, I'd almost think it's equally likely EA buys game companies just to shoot them in the back of the head when the time comes to have less competition. There's almost no other explanation for the gross level of incompetence the company has shown in the last decade. For fuck's sakes, you HAVE Bioware and don't put them on a new KotOR game, because while it probably would be profitable, it wouldn't be profitable *enough*. That has been EA's track record with decisions for literal years now.

BioWare cannot do a new KOTOR game because Disney would never approve of it.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
People are happy to criticize EA for how they handled the Star Wars license, gaming-wise. But they all seem to forget how LucasArts themselves handled their IP for long stretches during the 90s and 00s...

Like the fact that they have cancelled more games than EA in their last few years, like 1313 and First Assault.

Or the fact that their only well-received and beloved non-Lego Star Wars game in their final 7 years was... developed by an EA studio (The Old Republic).

Should EA have done more? As a fan, I would say yes. Are people very quick to forget that the very people who owned Star Wars arguably did a worse job for many years?

They sure do.

People also seem to ignore that with the cost of the license, and the fact that Disney loves money a lot- so any dreams of EA losing the license meaning that suddenly a developer like Platinum will get to do a hardcore niche game is a pipe dream regardless.

I'm not sure, cause you're essentially saying: "EA did better because they made more games", except those were really disappointing and frustrating mainly because of the predatory microtransactions.

Financially maybe you're right, as a gamer/consumer i got more excited about Star Wars 1313 and its potential (even though i've never had a chance to play it) than everything Battlefront I and II had to offer.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah yeah yeah EA blablabla Star Wars whatever, let's talk about the important stuff: Where is that Monkey Island video coming from. Who did this and why

EA is so fucking pretentious. They can trot out "For the gamers" all they want, but we can see right through them.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, what are you talking about.

I mean, it's true.

Galaxy of Heroes is a huge success, but it pales in comparison to other mobile title sales, it doesn't even perform that much better than other EA mobile titles. You'd expect a SW mobile title to be a top 3 seller on the various app stores, it's not. And, Disney has to get their cut on top of whatever EA gets out of it. I'm sure that top EA execs aren't exactly happy at the actual earnings of the SW brand based on what they expected. The same goes for Battlefront, Battlefield equals it and even slightly tops it in terms of sales. And, once again, unlike Battlefront EA gets to keep all the profits of Battlefield.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
No, it doesn't. It's the same hot take dumb reasons everyone else states without examining the actual business reasons EA might be languishing so much with he license.

He makes reasoned arguments in the video it's not just hyperbole or emotion for effect. You can disagree with the arguments he makes but the video is not a hot take. It's a compilation of EA failures with the license. You can't hand waive the state of BF2 at launch.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

But they are trying to pump out games, the games they're making suck though so they need to keep cancelling them or changing them completely at launch when the backlash hits.

The problem is, if EA loses the Star Wars license then better studios will be stuck trying to making Star Wars games for the next 10 years instead, and I'd rather they weren't.

I agree with this though, EA and Star Wars kind of deserve each other and I'll be happy if they stay together so I can ignore them even easier. Two birds, one stone etc.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Disney don't know and don't give a shit. They're too busy working out their next move in wringing as much money out of their Renaissance era as possible.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
BTW, how is BF2 now?
Did they remove the micro transactions?

I kind of want to test it on a steep sale for the VR mode.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
BTW, how is BF2 now?
Did they remove the micro transactions?
BF2 is actually pretty good right now. Had it launched in the current state they would have had a game that people liked and it wouldn't be a dead game. It gets boring pretty fast BUT the mtx and progression is in a good state.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I went into a bunch of them in a thread I made, look it up.

But, to quickly list a couple reasons:
-The cost of the license including Disney's cut of the profits.
-The limitations placed on the license due to Disney's heavy control of the lore as a result of their "everything is canon" approach.
-The length of the contractual agreement, specifically the ability to earn or add content to EA developed SW titles post-deal exclusivity expiration. For example, can they add content/DLC to Jedi Fallen Order after the deal expires in 2023? And, do they get to share in the profits of such post-deal DLC?
-The sales potential of the license v. EA original IP. This couples with point number one. In other words, if a MP focused SW shooter can only sell, at best, 14 million units (which they don't get the full profits from and comes with heaps of restrictions) meanwhile an EA original shooter sells 15 million units where they take the full profits of and have full creative control over, which do you think EA will prioritize.

BioWare cannot do a new KOTOR game because Disney would never approve of it.
Sounds like EA should drop the license then.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017

The fact that EA cancelled a linear narrative driven game saying it wont sell well, for an open world game, and then cancelled that too saying it'll take too long to make tells me they have no fucking clue about how to make a good SW game. Or heck, a good licensed game in general.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
He makes reasoned arguments in the video it's not just hyperbole or emotion for effect. You can disagree with the arguments he makes but the video is not a hot take. It's a compilation of EA failures with the license. You can't hand waive the state of BF2 at launch.

No, he doesn't.

Shit, he starts the video off with wrong facts. He says that EA has only released two SW games since they acquired the license. That is WRONG. He seems to completely leave out Galaxy of Heroes, probably because it's a mobile title and thus not a "real" game. You know, despite it making mega-millions in revenue for EA.

He just regurgiates the same facts everyone knows about EA's handling of the license complete with another "Jim hates microtransactions" rant. Then throws in dumb fanboy wishes like a BioWare KOTOR 3 whilst failing to understand that such a title would never be produced while Disney holds the license and absoulte control of the lore. Just an all around poor video.

The fact that EA cancelled a linear narrative driven game saying it wont sell well, for an open world game, and then cancelled that too saying it'll take too long to make tells me they have no fucking clue about how to make a good SW game. Or heck, a good licensed game in general.

I won't disagree with this point, but we don't have enough details about the BTS reasons for this rapid change of course. It does seem extremely incompetent from the outside.

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'd take Force Unleashed over either of EA's Battlefronts. Man, re-reading that and I'm just so sad I didn't like either of DICE's Battlefronts, was literally a dream game before it was announced, but just couldn't get into either.
Lucas Arts can fuck off too as far as I'm concerned though, will never forgive the cancelling of Battlefront 3.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's true.

Galaxy of Heroes is a huge success, but it pales in comparison to other mobile title sales, it doesn't even perform that much better than other EA mobile titles. You'd expect a SW mobile title to be a top 3 seller on the various app stores, it's not. And, Disney has to get their cut on top of whatever EA gets out of it. I'm sure that top EA execs aren't exactly happy at the actual earnings of the SW brand based on what they expected. The same goes for Battlefront, Battlefield equals it and even slightly tops it in terms of sales. And, once again, unlike Battlefront EA gets to keep all the profits of Battlefield.

Thats factually incorrect, SWGoH is the most successful mobile game in EA's history and ... its not close. You have access to very limited information if thats what your conclusion is.

By the way, other Star Wars games not made by EA are in the app store, feel free to check them up too!

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
After Episode IX I think Disney will put the brand on hold and fans will be burned out anyway.

This whole corporate Star Wars era has been nothing but bitter to me.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
If they hadn't signed the stupid exclusive deal they could release the basically finished, but never released Rogue Squadron 3 as a Switch exclusive and sell a few million copies with an incredibly small amount of work.

The entire thing has been handled horribly by both EA and Disney. Moronic stuff
We'd also be getting SEGA Ages Star Wars arcade if it wasn't for this deal too

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
There is no business reasons that can excuse the current state of Star Wars. They missed out on a historic BO performance with TFA and even Rogue One with a single unifishied shooty game then compounded the undeserved TLJ backlash with a sequel to the previous shooty game with a cynical mtx.lootbox model that got hit with a backlash of it's own

How anyone can suggest its OK is beyond me.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
What an absolute shit contract it must have been for Disney if EA's low output and tarnishment of the brand hasn't led to some sort of breach of contract or penalties. Clearly Disney are not seeing their money's worth in all this.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Even Activision would be better choice, they would release something.
but many guys want Ubisoft to give it a shot, they are capable of working on a series of this size

Activision is pretty much the same as EA now: all about Call of Duty because it's their cash cow, and Crash-Spyro i guess because Skylanders is almost irrelevant these days and they needed something for the younger audience.

Ubisoft would probably be the best choice, as they have so many studios who can really make different kind of Star Wars games.

Last edited:

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like EA and Disney would be better of with out each other.

Also why are Disney against a KotR game? Any sources in that?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Thats factually incorrect, SWGoH is the most successful mobile game in EA's history and ... its not close. You have access to very limited information if thats what your conclusion is.

By the way, other Star Wars games not made by EA are in the app store, feel free to check them up too!

Possibly. But, based on the numbers I last saw:

In 2017, GoH made $152 million in revenue.

But, this barely ranks next to other mobile titles that same year.
Monster Strike in Japan generated about $1 billion in revenue,
Fate Grand Order $982 million,
Clash of Clans $500+ million,
Candy Crush $477 million,
And, Dragon Ball Z mobile games at $300 million. A Dragon Ball z mobile title outsells Star Wars (anime was a mistake). And, I remind you that Disney likely gets a cut on any SW product's sales.

Madden NFL Mobile pulled in $67 million.
I can't find exact numbers on the recent Fifa Mobile numbers besides it having 24 million copies sold with an ever growing user base.

So, that $152 million in revenue in Dec. 2017 that GoH created which Disney gets their cut. The most successufl EA mobile title, but not a mobile dominator and the growth of other new EA mobile titles could potentially eclipse it. But again, I don't have access to their actual numbers.