• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I keep hoping EA won't fuck it up this time (whenever a new SW game is announced) and they consistently disappoint. I'm tired of pinning my hopes on EA learning their lessons.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually surprised they haven't violated some critical contractual obligations already with how shitty they've handled the license.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Not watching the video cos I really dislike Jim but this is an obvious take at this point. I don't know if there is a commitment on their part to release x amount of games whilst having the license but the opportunity they have lost in both the quality and quantity of releases has been shocking.

Just do rogue squadron 4, kotor 3 or a decent story based ARPG. It would be relatively straight forward money for a company like EA with the talent they have on the books.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.
I'm actually surprised they haven't violated some critical contractual obligations already with how shitty they've handled the license.
Like I would expect there be some expectation of output, a certain number of AAA games in X amount of years.
Maybe they haven't hit X amount of years yet so no action can be taken until time is up.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
yeah. Lose it and have it be controlled by Disney. That way they can work with different partners for titles across the industry. Similar to how they're doing with Marvel properties

Deltoid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
i aint watching some shitty jim video, but how many SW games are people expecting? Once the Respawn game releases that'll be three SW games for this gen, you guys think that's so low that their license should be revoked? everyone agrees EA could do far better, but that seems drastic.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Of course they should lose the license! There is zero justification for them to keep it.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just do rogue squadron 4, kotor 3 or a decent story based ARPG. It would be relatively straight forward money for a company like EA with the talent they have on the books.

I think they have tried to make another Kotor game, or Bioware have at least, but the pitches are always shot down

Not enough MXT potential I guess

It sucks because Bioware are right there

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
People are happy to criticize EA for how they handled the Star Wars license, gaming-wise. But they all seem to forget how LucasArts themselves handled their IP for long stretches during the 90s and 00s...

Like the fact that they have cancelled more games than EA in their last few years, like 1313 and First Assault.

Or the fact that their only well-received and beloved non-Lego Star Wars game in their final 7 years was... developed by an EA studio (The Old Republic).

Should EA have done more? As a fan, I would say yes. Are people very quick to forget that the very people who owned Star Wars arguably did a worse job for many years?

They sure do.

People also seem to ignore that with the cost of the license, and the fact that Disney loves money a lot- so any dreams of EA losing the license meaning that suddenly a developer like Platinum will get to do a hardcore niche game is a pipe dream regardless.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Kind of goes without saying at this point. EA's mismanagement of the Star Wars license has been absolutely legendary, and they should not hold exclusive rights to it if they're going to continue screwing up this badly with it.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Not gonna happen, i dunno why people think Disney is their friend, oh wait i do, childhood nostalgia, but anyway, Disney sold EA the rights & are probably happy with the profits from BF1 & 2, they will if anything, give them an extension on the license.
Sure the CEO of Disney was unhappy about the reception to BF2, but it's been quiet since then hasn't it? Disney hasn't kicked EA since then.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Striking while the Iron is hot eh Jim lol.

I would be fine with EA losing exclusive rights to the franchise but I hope they can still make games in the universe. I know people here don't like the Battlefront games but personally, DICE have made them super authentic to the universe more so than most other developers have. If BF2 didn't have EAs loot box bullshit I think it would have been enjoyed far more.

Oct 25, 2017
Losing it now would cost a lot of jobs and cause a lot of work to be thrown away due to a lot of games being in production.

Making it EA exclusive for a decade was a terrible idea, tho.
Also bad for EA since they have to make these games that aren't really making them that much

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
About to watch the video now, but fuck Disney for giving EA, America's most hated company years in a row, an exclusive contract. This shit was written in the wall.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i aint watching some shitty jim video, but how many SW games are people expecting? Once the Respawn game releases that'll be three SW games for this gen, you guys think that's so low that their license should be revoked? everyone agrees EA could do far better, but that seems drastic.
That's an extremely shitty take.

Yes, that's some piss-poor low output for a company of this size, solely owning the license for this industry and within that timespan

Jim is awesome btw.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know that there are people out there who like the new Battlefront games, so I'm not sure that they should lose it.

But it sure would be nice if other studios were able to get in on the universe, y'know?

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
LOL, EA not fucking up. I at least hope you don't preorder their crap.
I don't, but I am desperate for a good Star Wars game so I still hoped EA could have pulled it off eventually. The open betas for Battlefront usually kill any interest I have.

I will admit I'll probably preorder Anthem, game looks great. The VIP Demo is the final word on if I pull the trigger.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
They haven't released anything interesting (at least to me). Just couple of MP shooters and canceled all other projects that seemed even remotely interesting.
It's clear they just want to make as much bank with the license as possible before it's taken away from them, too bad most of their efforts seem to have failed due to excessive greed.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
yeah. Lose it and have it be controlled by Disney. That way they can work with different partners for titles across the industry. Similar to how they're doing with Marvel properties

This is what it should have been from the start.

Can you imagine a Platinum developed Star Wars Jedi game?

Or Guerrilla Games with Sony creating an epic open world game like Horizon Zero Dawn, as a parallel to the Sony's PS4 Spider-Man?

God, the possibilities.

I'm holding onto hope that we can get to this point eventually.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm tired of these hot takes that refuse to actually examine the business/contractual reasons why EA may not actually be pumping out SW games. You think EA hates money or something? That they just routinely buy expensive licenses to then do fuck all with them? But, these are the kind of poorly sourced rage videos I expect from Jim.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
It is honestly mind boggling how much EA fucked up their EXCLUSIVE rights to star wars games.

A rushed battlefront lacking content.
An average battlefront 2 multiplayer, straight up garbage campaign and microtransactions/lootbox model so bad that it made not just the whole industry pay attention but also governments around the world.
And a gacha mobile game.

Other than that they announced games with dudes sitting at their desks and have cg star wars ships flying outside their windows only to cancel, shift focus, close studios, move development to other devs and then cancel again lmao.

And all that wouldn´t matter, if EA didn´t have the exclusive license. At least we maybe could have gotten something cool from someone else, but we´re stuck with this shitshow. So another 4 years until the EA contract runs out, then maybe Disney will license Star Wars out to devs/publishers that want to make games and not exclusively. Then development will take 3-5 years sooo, maybe we´ll get something cool in another 5-6 years. Maybe in time for the second movie in the new star wars movie trilogy lol.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm tired of these hot takes that refuse to actually examine the business/contractual reasons why EA may not actually be pumping out SW games. You think EA hates money or something? That they just routinely buy expensive licenses to then do fuck all with them? But, these are the kind of poorly sourced rage videos I expect from Jim.
We know the business reasons and it's not a good one. Its clear with the original direction BF II took that EAs plan was to.exclusively hog the.license then monetize the shit out of it, like their sports games

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

What are the business reasons for green lighting and cancelling several games in a row?

If someone is mismanaging a project, then it's reasonable to want to give it to someone who might not fuck it up

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The problem is, if EA loses the Star Wars license then better studios will be stuck trying to making Star Wars games for the next 10 years instead, and I'd rather they weren't.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
If they hadn't signed the stupid exclusive deal they could release the basically finished, but never released Rogue Squadron 3 as a Switch exclusive and sell a few million copies with an incredibly small amount of work.

The entire thing has been handled horribly by both EA and Disney. Moronic stuff