• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017

So BF2 are some of the better games in the series (many would say the best), yet it's quite hard to play them these days given you have to find a second-hand copy and then use a third-party server service to find servers, then be willing to play Wake Isle 24/7. Then there's a decent amount of rough edges you have to get used to.

But there's not really anything like them. Battlefield tacked in a different direction when Bad Company came out, and the other closest alternative is probably Squad, which is a milsim. So it's high time they bring these classics back.

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
They're not even available on Origin, are they? The original 1942 isn't either, I think. Why's that?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
EA does not believe or like remasters. So far this gen we have gotten Burnout Paradise. I doubt we get anything else outside of the already announced C&C remasters.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I always preferred Desert Combat to actual BF2, honestly. Way more potential for dumb stuff, and the helicopter controls were better.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

469.gif

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, BF before it was a total spamfest* where you could basically spawn wherever the fuck you wanted. I miss having to watch your ammo counts outside of the hardcore mode (which I hated because 1-2 shot kills and low-recoil high accuracy guns just don't mix for me). Simpler, happier times.

*the iron gator excluded

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I miss BF2 so much.

They already remade the best map in Frostbite when they added Gulf of Oman to BF4 (and other lesser BF2 maps) but it wasn't quite the same.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
BF2 was my life back in the day. Then I moved to Project Reality mod for a bit, and haven't gotten into a Battlefield game since.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I thought port begging was not allowed here.

Anyway, after Burnout Paradise Remastered do you have confidence EA can't screw a remaster?

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
They won't remaster Battlefield 2 or 2142 for the same reason Bethesda won't remaster Morrowind (or New Vegas).

You know the reason. And it's not the 00's Jank.

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
BF2 with Special Forces would be a dream of mine to play with their new engine.I LOVE the classic Battlefield games.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But seriously, I can't really see EA doing remakes. There's a lot of Battlefield players now who have no real connection to either of these games, and all tying a game with Battlefield 2 would do is give a bunch of old farts high expectations. It would be better to just make it another modern day Battlefield. A 2143 or something seems a bit more plausible, and I'd really like to see it.

It would be nice if they at least got the servers back up, though.

Didn't DICE put several remastered BF2 maps in BF4?

BF3's first DLC pack was a bunch of BF2 maps, yeah. Oman, Sharqi, Karkand, and Wake. The ones that people would actually be able to name if you asked them.
BF4 got a couple as well. Oman, Dragon Valley.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
But seriously, I can't really see EA doing remakes. There's a lot of Battlefield players now who have no real connection to either of these games, and all tying a game with Battlefield 2 would do is give a bunch of old farts high expectations. It would be better to just make it another modern day Battlefield. A 2143 or something seems a bit more plausible, and I'd really like to see it.

It would be nice if they at least got the servers back up, though.

BF3's first DLC pack was a bunch of BF2 maps, yeah. Oman, Sharqi, Karkand, and Wake. The ones that people would actually be able to name if you asked them.
BF4 got a couple as well. Oman, Dragon Valley.

Ah yes. I can't recall whether back to karkand was for BF3 or BF4. I honestly prefer to have BF2 maps with BF4 gameplay over BF2 game play with a new coat of paint.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
They won't. How many of us would buy those and never buy any of their future titles as we are content with either one these games? There you go lol.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
They can't.

If they do they would have to add DLC and Micro Transactions and retool the games as GAAS, which would crash and burn immediately.

So they won't.

They will totally make a new one though... wit GAAS and DLC and Micro Transactions.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
If a Battlefield 2 remaster included the weird warping mechanic from the single player campaign of the console version of Battlefield 2 then I'm on board! lol

OP
OP

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
Last edited:

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh. BF4 is the better version of 2 anyway. And I imagine they are going to do a proper sequel to BF2142 soon.

Oct 25, 2017
Sacramento
I have some fond memories of BF2, game consumed me, was basically the reason my family bought an Intel-based iMac (so I could dual boot Windows and play BF2)

Was never that good back then, am no better at BF games now, but I'd go back to 2 in a heartbeat

Sadly never really got into 2142, those Titan modes were rad though