• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
All they need to do is remake Underground 2 with the original soundtrack and add more current cars (but keep the old ones). Why does EA make it so hard for themselves.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a game [franchise] that EA did NOT fuck up this gen?

I honestly don't know.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I never played Payback after how much I hated 2015. Heat is certainly a decent game and if you have a way to play it cheaply I would. I want to go back to 2015 to see if my enjoyment of Heat changes my view of it.

Brake-to-drift was a mistake, I hate how automated, inflexible, and slow it is. Some games can do brake-to-drift well (i.e.: Daytona USA) and if modern NFS had the flexibility through the turn/drift I would adore it.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
It occurred to me as I was playing Heat that every Ghost Games NFS follow the same template and have largely the same problems that bug me, no matter how superficially distinct they are (Rivals, 2015 and Heat, anyway, I skipped Payback).

I'm hopeful that the change in developer going forward means a change in direction, too. I'd also wish they stop using Frostbite, but that's probably unlikely.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
2015 was fine, and Heat is pretty great. It's definitely not like the heyday of the franchise, but there's still enjoyment to be found. In terms of EA, Madden and NHL have both been shafted harder this gen

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Do any of these games have a good and lengthy single-player campaign? My favorite NFS game is Most Wanted (the old one). Anything close to that?

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a game [franchise] that EA did NOT fuck up this gen?

I honestly don't know.

Titanfall? But that started at the beginning of the gen.

EASports really took a shit on their sports games this generation as well. Since the introduction of the their gambling game modes, all of their sport titles have took a massive hit in terms of quality since that mode has been introduced in all of the sport titles.

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
Was there ever any truth to that Hot Pursuit remaster rumor? I'm hoping they can turn things around next generation.

While still not officially revealed, Amazon UK had it up for pre-order (briefly) with a November 13th release date. Hopefully it'll fall in line with the Series X release date.

They've got to announce it soon surely.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Heat was pretty good, and the series going back to Criterion makes me cautiously optimistic about the future.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Heat is pretty damn great and you don't have to play online. I really loved 2015 too.

The framerate and other issues could stem from Frostbite, but not sure.

heat is my first nfs game since rivals and im actually really loving it. The city is fun to drive around, the driving model feels good, and the upgrade path is addicting

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Everything that EA published that wasn't from their indie game initiative or developed by Respawn was fumbled this generation, Need for Speed included. It'll be interesting to see it Criterion can do anything to turn things around.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
What does Criterion's involvement actually mean these days? At some point they downsized significantly, right? Did they hire back up again? Are Ghost employees moving to Guildford en masse? Is the leadership distinct to those who led Ghost?

Oct 29, 2017
Man... you should see what they did to SimCity.

Man. If they at least spent more time overhauling or fixing sim city 2013. What a shame.

Maxis being stripped is such a crime against pc gaming. I live for that studio.

Where is SimCity 5k? Just make it! Cities skylines is so good but it isn't sim city. Maxis is not the same staff anyways but wow, what a legacy.

Oct 28, 2017
2015 and Payback were awful.
Heat is okay, but it's puzzleing how it took Ghost 3 games and it's still nowhere near the Underground games, the OG Most Wanted...or heck I'd even go as far that it's worse than Carbon or the Criterion NFS games.
Like making a decent arcade racing game is some ancient lost art LMAO.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
What does Criterion's involvement actually mean these days? At some point they downsized significantly, right? Did they hire back up again? Are Ghost employees moving to Guildford en masse? Is the leadership distinct to those who led Ghost?

- Criterion was downsized 8 years ago
- Some developers moved to Ghost Games to work on NFS and others left
- They started to hire new people and ramp up for their new IP which was canned
- In 2017 they had more or less 100 devs, and they worked on Battlefront II and Battlfield Firestorm mode
- They were working on a Star Wars game, Battlefront-spin off which was canned
- EA has decided to rebrand Ghost Games to EA Gothenburg, the racing devs were moved to Criterion and the "tech people" remained at the studio working on the engine
- NFS is now back at Criterion Games.

Criterion Games is based in the UK and UK has a fuckton of racing games studios and developers, they can make an actual good racing game if they care enough, poaching devs from Playground Games, Sumo Digital and Codemasters should not be hard.