• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Uh wtf, how'd I miss this thread. This is huge.

Yeah, wtf? The value, even for me makes things really easy to swallow. I always have to get at least one console for a few games a gen. Shit like this makes it SUPER easy to swallow instead of feeling like Im kinda being barely pulled into it by force of the hobby.

Oct 27, 2017
Which games from EA, released this gen, would you recommend?

Don't care about Battlefield, FIFA or anything multiplayer. Already played Titanfall 2 campaign (and it's a masterpiece, this game deserves more love).
I have to second Mirrors Edge as that other poster mentioned. Both Catalyst and the original last-gen game should be available. Most of the other games are Bioware RPGs and sports games.

Willy

Oct 27, 2017
This is a hell of a deal, especially on PC where EA Play has a decent selection of non-EA stuff as well.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
It's a year, but you can demo the latest games free for 10 hours and get a 10% discount, as far as I can recall.

Its definitely less than a year. Madden is usually in the vault December/January. Same with NHL. The UFC games get added pretty quick it seems. The last one was in the vault like 4 months maybe less after release. NFS Heat got added pretty quick also. FIFA since it's their most popular game takes the longest to get added and usually is added the following Apr/May after release. Star Wars Fallen order is the in,y game I can remember not having a 10 hour trial and still isn't in the vault almost a year later. I think EA Play added to game pass is huge and I canceled my subscription and can't wait until it's added this fall...

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
I think they put things in the vault when the games aren't selling as well or if they're wanting to increase the online userbase. Pretty sure Jedi Fallen Order has long legs and no online multiplayer so makes sense it's not on there yet. I think it'll be there for the Series X launch though.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Its definitely less than a year. Madden is usually in the vault December/January. Same with NHL. The UFC games get added pretty quick it seems. The last one was in the vault like 4 months maybe less after release. NFS Heat got added pretty quick also. FIFA since it's their most popular game takes the longest to get added and usually is added the following Apr/May after release. Star Wars Fallen order is the in,y game I can remember not having a 10 hour trial and still isn't in the vault almost a year later. I think EA Play added to game pass is huge and I canceled my subscription and can't wait until it's added this fall...

Yeah I went back and checked some of the dates games got added to the vault, and people are really underselling this. As you mentioned Madden 20 came about 6 months after launch. I don't care at all about playing Madden on launch day, but now I can play the latest version every year without paying for it? Hell yes.

Sure if you're a dedicated FIFA/Madden/NHL whatever fan who gets it launch day every year, this doesn't cover you. But for casual sports fans who didn't care for the "pay us $60 every year" model, this is awesome.

(Yeah I hear Madden actually sucks now but wouldn't know because I'll never spend $60 on it! But now I get it for free!)

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Does EA put their PGA games on this service?
They have only one Golf game this gen, Rory McIlroy. The full game is included here.

Yeah I went back and checked some of the dates games got added to the vault, and people are really underselling this. As you mentioned Madden 20 came about 6 months after launch. I don't care at all about playing Madden on launch day, but now I can play the latest version every year without paying for it? Hell yes.

Sure if you're a dedicated FIFA/Madden/NHL whatever fan who gets it launch day every year, this doesn't cover you. But for casual sports fans who didn't care for the "pay us $60 every year" model, this is awesome.

(Yeah I hear Madden actually sucks now but wouldn't know because I'll never spend $60 on it! But now I get it for free!)

If you are a dedicated sports game fan you get 10 hours free play to test the game days before release then a 10% discount buying the game then 10% off all the MTs you'll be making.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I have a PS4. Was probably gonna get a PS5 first but that may not even be an option now.

For £30 day 1 I get a next gen console and an insane amount of games to play (and many from the 360 days I really wanna replay).

Deleted member 8136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well that much is natural, but it seems as though it needs to be said else anyone that argues against the value proposition for themselves, is accused of downplaying the announcement. Hence the footnote on my post.

I'm quite a fan of game pass on the whole though. It's almost the only way I consume games on PC, just not a fan of EA games in general. Packed with what I believe to be often unethical MTX, and their sports games (FIFA in particular) benefit organisations whom I believe to be quite simply, evil.

The biggest value add with this service is, that you can try every new game day one for ten hours at no additional cost just to find out if you like it enough to buy. And if you do, you get a universal (games and DLC) 10% discount. At no additional cost.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
They have only one Golf game this gen, Rory McIlroy. The full game is included here.

If you are a dedicated sports game fan you get 10 hours free play to test the game days before release then a 10% discount buying the game then 10% off all the MTs you'll be making.
The gamepass discount is 20% i think so that probably will still apply to ea games and not just ea plays 10%

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
quick, find yearly subs super cheap!

edit: basically can add 18 months of gamepass ultimate for $133 then since 5 1 year subs translate to 20 months of GPU but they take two months off before conversion.
You can get two years of XLG for $120 (or three for $180) then convert them to GPU at a 1:1 rate for $1.
My GPU sub runs out May 2021, and my EA Play on PC Sub runs out Sep 2021. What do I need to do to get lots more of cheap GPU?

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
So when will this happen? And how will it work because right now can't see any ea games on gamepass

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So when will this happen? And how will it work because right now can't see any ea games on gamepass

Says holiday so probably after october but man kinda wish it came out today so I could get to play fifa 21 a few days before official release. Yes yes 10 hours which, technically, still allows you to play EA games day 1. Now I have to get another 1 month code just for that. I think Xbox wanted it to be there today but EA probably demanded a 1-2 month delay because they're about to make a ton of money from fifa players signing up for EA access for fifa 21.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Massive get but this will be really interesting to see how it impacts consumer sentiment. If you have MS studios and EA games on a subscription model, how much will users who are subscribed be interested in purchasing games from other publishers?

This could be detrimental to attach rate elsewhere and ultimately damaging to content. With that said, it's awesome that you're basically getting more games than anyone can possibly play in a year for basically the cost of 2 games annually

This has been a common concern since Gamepass was conceived. MS' data suggests that gamepass subscribers go on to play more and buy more games.

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
Phil Spencer really made Xbox brand great again huh, I'm loving it. Love the competition, let's see how Sony will respond.

Munroe

May 17, 2019

We only know 'Holiday 2020' I'm guessing it'll be the same day as Series X|S launch

I assume, the games just get added to Gamepass, maybe it'll have its own category to easily find the games.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
We only know 'Holiday 2020' I'm guessing it'll be the same day as Series X|S launch

I assume, the games just get added to Gamepass, maybe it'll have its own category to easily find the games.
Nah, probably give you some kind of code or something and you'll create a EA Play account or link an existing account. On console there is already an easy to browse section in the my games list for EA Play stuff, right next to other subscription catalogs. On PC you will use origin and they will want to up sell you to EA Play pro.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
May be a hot take but the most exciting part about this for me is Dead Space. Played and loved all of them and considering jumping back into them, even though they are easily the scariest games out there.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, probably give you some kind of code or something and you'll create a EA Play account or link an existing account. On console there is already an easy to browse section in the my games list for EA Play stuff, right next to other subscription catalogs. On PC you will use origin and they will want to up sell you to EA Play pro.
Why would they make you use Origin, a totally different platform? EA Play on Steam uses Steam. They don't make you leave Steam and go over to Origin and use that instead.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they make you use Origin, a totally different platform? EA Play on Steam uses Steam. They don't make you leave Steam and go over to Origin and use that instead.
Well this is included in Microsoft's sub. I think EA would want something out of this deal. Also Microsoft doesn't exactly have much leverage in the PC Gaming space as Valve.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
When is this change happening?

Edit: GungJoe I'm thinking the value proposition for me (and maybe you?) is mostly a discount on Apex coins lol, assuming crossplay/crossprogression will work in such a way that I can buy coins on this, buy the battle pass or event cosmetics, and play with them on PS4? That'd be cool.

Yeah basically. I'm kind of done with Apex now though because I was playing it so hard that I found it was harming my mental and physical health. 2000 hours on Apex within a year is too much.

I'm going to play CNC remastered though, which I wouldn't have done before.

idioteque

Nov 8, 2017
I hope EA provide Game Pass members the ability to upgrade to EA Play Pro to get new games on day 1 on Xbox. I'd totally be down with that.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is just nuts... GamePass was already amazingly cheap for what you actually get

EA play must have very few subscribers compared to GamePass so the larger scale works out the economics for EA?

Oct 27, 2017
So when does this go live, and if it is already, how do you activate it? Lots of reports seem to indicate that it's already live, but there aren't any details.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
So I was reading

news.xbox.com

Get EA Play with Xbox Game Pass for No Additional Cost - Xbox Wire

When we created Xbox Game Pass, we did so with the vision of bringing you more great games to discover and play with your friends. Over the last three years, we’ve delivered on that vision by bringing more content to our 10 million members, and we’ve expanded the service to reach people wherever...

Formerly known as EA Access and Origin Access, EA Play will bring the best of EA to Game Pass, including:

• More than 60 of EA's biggest and best console and PC games like FIFA 20, Titanfall 2 and Need for Speed Heat, as well as titles from some of EA's most popular franchises like Battlefield, Mass Effect, Skate, and The Sims.
  • Not only will EA Play titles be available on console and PC, this holiday, some of the best EA Play games will also be available for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members to play on Android devices via the cloud at no additional charge.

The wording may seem that not all EA Play games from PC will be available on Game Pass.

Keep an eye on that

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
So I was reading

news.xbox.com

When we created Xbox Game Pass, we did so with the vision of bringing you more great games to discover and play with your friends. Over the last three years, we’ve delivered on that vision by bringing more content to our 10 million members, and we’ve expanded the service to reach people wherever...

The wording may seem that not all EA Play games from PC will be available on Game Pass.

Keep an eye on that
Gonna be a good thing to compare what's available between the two

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I was reading

news.xbox.com

Keep an eye on that

I think I am interpreting that differently.

The first bulletpoint says that titles from some of EA's biggest franchises are on EA Play.

The second bulletpoint just refers to cloud streaming, suggesting not all titles will be streamable.

Oct 27, 2017
So I was reading

news.xbox.com

Keep an eye on that

"Some" in the relevant sentence is a determiner referring to the "the best EA Play games" which will also be available on xCloud. It is not referring to the total amount of EA Play games which will be available to PC Game Pass or Game Pass Ultimate subscribers.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
So I was reading

news.xbox.com

Keep an eye on that
Gonna be a good thing to compare what's available between the two

This is everything (EA published only) on EA Play on Origin. I suspect we'll only get what they've put on the service on Steam.
Potentially i.e. if EA brings all first-party stuff from EA Play on Origin:

A Way Out
Anthem
Battlefield 1
Battlefield 3
Battlefield 4
Battlefield Hardline
Battlefield V
Burnout Paradise Remaster
Command & Conquer The Ultimate Collection
Crusader: No Regret
Crusader: No Remorse
Crysis
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
Crysis 3
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Dead Space 3
Dragon Age II
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Dragon Age: Origins
Dungeon Keeper
Dungeon Keeper 2
Fe
FIFA 15
FIFA 16
FIFA 17
FIFA 18
FIFA 19
FIFA 20
Jade Empire: Special Edition
Madden NFL 19
Madden NFL 20
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Medal of Honor Airborne
Mirror's Edge
Mirror's Edge Catalyst
Need For Speed
Need For Speed Heat
Need For Speed Most Wanted
Need For Speed Payback
Need For Speed Rivals
Peggle
Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville
Plants vs. Zombies GOTY Edition
Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare
Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2
Populous
Populous II
Rocket Arena
Sea of Solitude
SimCity
SPORE
Star Wars Battlefront
Star Wars Battlefront II
The Saboteur
The Sims 3
The Sims 4
Titanfall
Titanfall 2
Ultima I
Ultima II
Ultima III
Ultima IV
Ultima V
Ultima VI
Ultima VII
Ultima VIII
Unravel
Unravel Two
Wing Commander
Wing Commander II
Wing Commander III
Wing Commander IV
Wing Commander: Privateer

Last edited:

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I was reading

news.xbox.com

Keep an eye on that
This refers to the games being available on Xcloud through Game Pass Ultimate. It's about streaming to Android.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
the list of games avaliable on play on each platform are different. pc gets some exclusive titles, xbox gets some bc titles, playstation gets.... whatever that is there