• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I need Ultimate to get EA Play unless I'm reading it wrong and it's only on console. That said EA Play Pro (I assume this is the same) is £15pm or £90 for the year. If it's just EA Play Access then it's irrelevant to me.
You are reading it wrong. EA Play (not Pro) is coming to Game Pass Ultimate on console, and regular Game Pass on PC.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Here appears to be the conversion rate for people with existing EA Access subs

Ehfq7ZyXgAEmtQI

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
If they're going to do conversions on a 3:1 ratio to GPU...

You can currently buy a code for 1 year of EA Access for $30. That would equate to 4 months of GPU, right? Meaning you could get one year of GPU for $90?

GPU is currently $15/month, or $180/year, so this would be half price? Can somebody check my math on this?

Do we have any idea when conversions will go into effect?

The maths is correct, but it will be cheaper to buy a year (or three) of Gold and use the $1 conversion offer.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Here appears to be the conversion rate for people with existing EA Access subs

Ehfq7ZyXgAEmtQI

quick, find yearly subs super cheap!

edit: basically can add 18 months of gamepass ultimate for $133 then since 5 1 year subs translate to 20 months of GPU but they take two months off before conversion.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Darth Vader if he worked for Microsoft: "I am altering the deal. Pray I don't make this shit even sweeter". *Hands Lando a $20 gift card for no reason before storming off*

mikel202

Jun 22, 2020
Am I understanding this right? If you only want the PC bundle it's $5 a month for over 150 games?

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020

edit: basically can add 18 months of gamepass ultimate for $133 then since 5 1 year subs translate to 20 months of GPU but they take two months off before conversion.

You can get two years of XLG for $120 (or three for $180) then convert them to GPU at a 1:1 rate for $1.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
You can get two years of XLG for $120 (or three for $180) then convert them to GPU at a 1:1 rate for $1.

I've already abused that, im just trying to extend my GPU sub for cheap now. Problem is once you convert over to GPU everything converts at normal rates. If you want to do the $1 thing again you have to wait for your current sub to run out.

So if you can get EA Play 1 year subs for like $20 on key sites.....you can extend for pretty damn cheap.

jrb

Nov 9, 2017
An announcement of EA Play Pro coming to consoles would hype me way more but I have 2 more years of GPU so 2 years free of this, not bad.

mikel202

Jun 22, 2020
I would feel pretty dumb if I was Sony right now and I overpaid for exclusive timed COD maps.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
Which games from EA, released this gen, would you recommend?

Don't care about Battlefield, FIFA or anything multiplayer. Already played Titanfall 2 campaign (and it's a masterpiece, this game deserves more love).

roly82

Apr 2, 2019
Which games from EA, released this gen, would you recommend?

Don't care about Battlefield, FIFA or anything multiplayer. Already played Titanfall 2 campaign (and it's a masterpiece, this game deserves more love).

Mirror's Edge Catalyst and SW Jedi Fallen Order, there isn't too much more.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
So, dumb question: When will this be available? I can't find any details on a date.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
We know this already. The added value is great. No need to downplay.

I just see things differently here, perhaps based on conversations that I've had with folks in industry, about how publishers are looking for new ways to distribute their games in more recent years.

Consumers see these services as offering good value because of the sheer quantity of games on offer, but in reality these services are not something which will save the average consumer money. Getting the titles out there is a method of getting players embedded into EA's live services for the long haul for titles they wouldn't have otherwise been interested in, it's a strategy that's explicitly designed to increase consumer spend, not one that's designed to reduce it.

I like game pass and I pay for game pass ultimate, but more specifically I suppose I do not like EA's games and their typical monetisation structure. Many of the additions to game pass offer obvious value but I feel that the majority of players will still end up purchasing the EA games they actually want to play, and at the same time, we see EA with a foot in the door for many of their live service models (some of them outright manipulative and in my opinion, harmful) that they wouldn't otherwise have. That just doesn't represent a fantastic value proposition to me, and folks replying with 'insane value' and things like that, I feel are overplaying the value more so than I am downplaying it. But, that's just my perspective. Obviously for any one individual, it may represent more or less value, than any other.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Just bought 3 years of EA Play for around $80, which should translate to a year of GamePass Ultimate, we'll see how it turns out!

xenonium

Apr 3, 2020
I just see things differently here, perhaps based on conversations that I've had with folks in industry, about how publishers are looking for new ways to distribute their games in more recent years.

Consumers see these services as offering good value because of the sheer quantity of games on offer, but in reality these services are not something which will save the average consumer money. Getting the titles out there is a method of getting players embedded into EA's live services for the long haul for titles they wouldn't have otherwise been interested in, it's a strategy that's explicitly designed to increase consumer spend, not one that's designed to reduce it.

I like game pass and I pay for game pass ultimate, but more specifically I suppose I do not like EA's games and their typical monetisation structure. Many of the additions to game pass offer obvious value but I feel that the majority of players will still end up purchasing the EA games they actually want to play, and at the same time, we see EA with a foot in the door for many of their live service models (some of them outright manipulative and in my opinion, harmful) that they wouldn't otherwise have. That just doesn't represent a fantastic value proposition to me, and folks replying with 'insane value' and things like that, I feel are overplaying the value more so than I am downplaying it. But, that's just my perspective. Obviously for any one individual, it may represent more or less value, than any other.

If this was a bundling scenario like with sports + cable tv, where the masses subsidized an additional set of products that not everyone wanted, you'd have a point.

However, they added EA Play at no additional cost. Thus it's strictly a good deal. At best people no longer need an extra sub/ no longer have to buy some games they were going to. At worst nothing changes and you can just ignore all those EA games.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I think some people are perhaps misunderstanding what is actually included in EA Play. It's just the EA Vault, which are typically older titles. If you relied on the EA Vault to play the sports franchises, you'd be playing them 8 months the outdated versions of the game for 2/3rds of the year. If you're the type of person happy to play their sports franchises almost a year behind the annual installments, then you're probably also aware that you can pick them up for £2 second hand.

EA Play in particular thrives off of the idea that they're offering value through games that people are no longer purchasing. Not to mention, most of these games have transitioned to heavy games as a service models, so many of them are they're each trying to nickle and dime you in their own way.

Still, free is free so there's that, and there are some cool games in their if you dig around, like Unravel and A Way Out.
Meh. Everyone perfectly understands what EA Play is. I never got this whole "games suddenly have no value because they're a year old" take. I see it a lot in game pass threads and I wonder how sad it must be for all these people who miss out on great games of the past simply because it's too old for them.

You can play a ton of games on there without being nickle and dimed. It's a good back catalogue addition to game pass for no additional cost. There is no way you can spin this addition as a negative.

Here is the games list (on console) for those curious. Definitely a lot of junk on there! /s

https://www.trueachievements.com/ea-access/games

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
If this was a bundling scenario like with sports + cable tv, where the masses subsidized an additional set of products that not everyone wanted, you'd have a point.

However, they added EA Play at no additional cost. Thus it's strictly a good deal.
At best people no longer need an extra sub/ no longer have to buy some games they were going to. At worst nothing changes and you can just ignore all those EA games.

No doubt. I'm not arguing that it takes value away or anything like that, it definitely adds value to the service.

c bweezie

Jan 8, 2020
That just doesn't represent a fantastic value proposition to me, and folks replying with 'insane value' and things like that, I feel are overplaying the value more so than I am downplaying it. But, that's just my perspective. Obviously for any one individual, it may represent more or less value, than any other.

So what you're saying is that for some people it may be an insane value, and for others, perhaps, no value.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, I'm for sure buying a Series S at some point then. PS5 is still going to be my number one choice because of exclusives, but this is too insane of a deal to pass up.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people overanalyze stuff all the time? Why can't you just enjoy things? Yes, you pay money to buy services. You are free not to do so.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I bet Xbox Live Gold is indeed toast. GPU can continue to exist:

Gold : Was $5 a month (60 a year) all gen. That option is now gone, and it's 9.99 a month. That will get converted to Game Pass for console when they're ready to announce the changes, presumably in 50 days when EA Play joins the fray.
Game Pass for PC: Currently $5 a month, will be $10 a month soon (presumably when EA Play joins the fray), includes PC library (smaller than console) + EA Play
Game Pass for Console: $10 a month - Includes all console Game Pass games (big library)
Game Pass Ultimate: $15 a month - includes Game Pass for Console, PC, XCloud, and EA Play for console and PC.

Good offering- Gold makes no sense anymore, especially with the rise of F2P games, and there's no way they let Gold be a barrier of entry to Halo Infinite MP.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So what you're saying is that for some people it may be an insane value, and for others, perhaps, no value.

Well that much is natural, but it seems as though it needs to be said else anyone that argues against the value proposition for themselves, is accused of downplaying the announcement. Hence the footnote on my post.

I'm quite a fan of game pass on the whole though. It's almost the only way I consume games on PC, just not a fan of EA games in general. Packed with what I believe to be often unethical MTX, and their sports games (FIFA in particular) benefit organisations whom I believe to be quite simply, evil.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I think some people are perhaps misunderstanding what is actually included in EA Play. It's just the EA Vault, which are typically older titles. If you relied on the EA Vault to play the sports franchises, you'd be playing them 8 months the outdated versions of the game for 2/3rds of the year. If you're the type of person happy to play their sports franchises almost a year behind the annual installments, then you're probably also aware that you can pick them up for £2 second hand.

EA Play in particular thrives off of the idea that they're offering value through games that people are no longer purchasing. Not to mention, most of these games have transitioned to heavy games as a service models, so many of them are they're each trying to nickle and dime you in their own way.

Still, free is free so there's that, and there are some cool games in their if you dig around, like Unravel and A Way Out.
To me the value is playing those sports games that I now don't consider to buy at full price. I have last years Madden on PC but that's it. If they ever put NHL on it then yes I'd buy it but EA makes so few enhancements annually that it's hard for me to justify buying them but if it's included in Game Pass? Hell yeah!

Game Pass has definitely saved me money and more importantly got me to play games that I probably would not have before and found some great smaller titles in the process.

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Well. Maybe I'll finally play Dragon Age: Inquisition on PC, then.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
When is this change happening?

Edit: GungJoe I'm thinking the value proposition for me (and maybe you?) is mostly a discount on Apex coins lol, assuming crossplay/crossprogression will work in such a way that I can buy coins on this, buy the battle pass or event cosmetics, and play with them on PS4? That'd be cool.

Last edited:

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
So how is this gonna work on PC? EA games will just show up on the Xbox app?