• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I was not expecting PC, and specially not Free. There's a ton of games I haven't jumped in just because I didn't feel like investing money (like Titanfall 2, even if it was 5$). Very excited for this, the amount of games Gamepass offers is insane.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Insanity.

I've had Gold for something like 14 years now, but this has me seriously considering getting on the GamePass bandwagon. I was actually looking at EA Play not too long ago, I was interested in doing it for the NHL video games.

To folks who have EA Play, how long after retail releases do EA games show up on the service?

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Wow. Enjoy it while it lasts I guess. It is the golden age of game subscription services. I imagine something like that will be like an add-on at additional cost in the future.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn signing up for an annual EA access sub 2 months ago is biting me in the ass now but that's great value

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I have a sneaking suspicion that they might be adding features like this to retain the value of Game Pass Ultimate if/when they make online multiplayer free. They're not going to want to see a reduction in ARPU with everyone going "sweet, I can just pay $10 for Game Pass console"

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
EA Access is ok i guess, their newer titles are just trials and the full game takes about 5-6 months to release on it. The rest of their titles are mostly meh.

Last edited:

Z Y

Oct 27, 2017
If you have GamePass Ultimate and over 50 days of an EA Access subscription, then yes on a ratio of 3:1.

Thanks. I'm not completely understanding what that would be but that's on me not you. My mind is pudding trying to virtual school my son and work at the same time right now. lol. As long as it just happens automatically at some point. I've been an EA Access sub since day one and just got billed again on August 10th. Also been an Ultimate subscriber since the first month I think. So I guess I can retire when that refund hits. Thanks again!

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
EA Access is ok i guess, their newer titles are just trials and the full game takes about 5-6 months to release on it. The rest of their titles are mostly met.

Yeah, but the service is live for a few years now, and the Vault has A LOT of great games. It's still a fantastic addition to the service.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Incredible. Between this and the brilliant monthly pricing for All Access they might have just sold me on going XSX alongside PS5. Mental. Was going to be multiple years wait before.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Great news, though I wish EA had a clearer policy on when games get added to EA Play. Fallen Order has been out for almost a year and it's still not available on the service.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
I have a sneaking suspicion that they might be adding features like this to retain the value of Game Pass Ultimate if/when they make online multiplayer free. They're not going to want to see a reduction in ARPU with everyone going "sweet, I can just pay $10 for Game Pass console"
Yeah, I though the same. I think that Xbox Live Gold is going away the moment Game Pass starts being highly profitable, maybe in 2 or 3 years.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'll be honest - I'm conflicted :P
I've been on a roughly 10 year EA boycott now. I never would have given them money directly for this. But I have GamePass for another 2 years so I might as well give this a spin I guess... I'll at least think about it.
Maybe it's time to give Battlefront and Need for Speed another go. Will I need Origin for this?

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I'm not completely understanding what that would be but that's on me not you. My mind is pudding trying to virtual school my son and work at the same time right now. lol. As long as it just happens automatically at some point. I've been an EA Access sub since day one and just got billed again on August 10th. Also been an Ultimate subscriber since the first month I think. So I guess I can retire when that refund hits. Thanks again!

Haha no problem, I also don't explain things very well sometimes!

This goes live in the Holiday, no date announced yet. When it goes live, if you have over 50 days of EA Access, they'll take 1/3rd of that subscription time and add it to your GamePass Ultimate sub.

So if you have 60 days of EA Access, they'll add 20 days of GamePass ultimate

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Massive get but this will be really interesting to see how it impacts consumer sentiment. If you have MS studios and EA games on a subscription model, how much will users who are subscribed be interested in purchasing games from other publishers?

This could be detrimental to attach rate elsewhere and ultimately damaging to content. With that said, it's awesome that you're basically getting more games than anyone can possibly play in a year for basically the cost of 2 games annually

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Massive get but this will be really interesting to see how it impacts consumer sentiment. If you have MS studios and EA games on a subscription model, how much will users who are subscribed be interested in purchasing games from other publishers?

This could be detrimental to attach rate elsewhere and ultimately damaging to content. With that said, it's awesome that you're basically getting more games than anyone can possibly play in a year for basically the cost of 2 games annually
It doesn't affect my interest in purchasing games from other publishers at all. If I want to play a game, I go where it's available to me. Currently, that could be Game Pass, Steam, EGS, Origin (although I'll probably start using the 10% discount on Game Pass instead), and the PS Store.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean I still bUt movies that are not on netflix. Should be fine

Z Y

Oct 27, 2017
Haha no problem, I also don't explain things very well sometimes!

This goes live in the Holiday, no date announced yet. When it goes live, if you have over 50 days of EA Access, they'll take 1/3rd of that subscription time and add it to your GamePass Ultimate sub.

So if you have 60 days of EA Access, they'll add 20 days of GamePass ultimate

Ahhh! Got it. Thanks!

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
It doesn't affect my interest in purchasing games from other publishers at all. If I want to play a game, I go where it's available to me. Currently, that could be Game Pass, Steam, EGS, Origin (although I'll probably start using the 10% discount on Game Pass instead), and the PS Store.
I wouldn't expect it to impact most people on here, this place is a pretty limited subset of people who play games though. Xbox already has a problem in terms of attach rate in comparison to Playstation. I'm certainly not saying that there is any guarantee that it will impact it, but if you're getting 20+ new games per year out of a subscription, your motivation to spend on another 3-4 games per year may be more limited.

I mean I still bUt movies that are not on netflix. Should be fine
Personally, I don't buy movies anywhere near as much as I used to. I doubt I'm alone in that. Which is kind of my point.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The PC side of things, there aren't many games. If you don't count the various sports games from like 2015-2020, there's even less.
Depends. Not sure how you can say that.

Potentially i.e. if EA brings all first-party stuff from EA Play on Origin:

A Way Out
Anthem
Battlefield 1
Battlefield 3
Battlefield 4
Battlefield Hardline
Battlefield V
Burnout Paradise Remaster
Command & Conquer The Ultimate Collection
Crusader: No Regret
Crusader: No Remorse
Crysis
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
Crysis 3
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Dead Space 3
Dragon Age II
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Dragon Age: Origins
Dungeon Keeper
Dungeon Keeper 2
Fe
FIFA 15
FIFA 16
FIFA 17
FIFA 18
FIFA 19
FIFA 20
Jade Empire: Special Edition
Madden NFL 19
Madden NFL 20
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Medal of Honor Airborne
Mirror's Edge
Mirror's Edge Catalyst
Need For Speed
Need For Speed Heat
Need For Speed Most Wanted
Need For Speed Payback
Need For Speed Rivals
Peggle
Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville
Plants vs. Zombies GOTY Edition
Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare
Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2
Populous
Populous II
Rocket Arena
Sea of Solitude
SimCity
SPORE
Star Wars Battlefront
Star Wars Battlefront II
The Saboteur
The Sims 3
The Sims 4
Titanfall
Titanfall 2
Ultima I
Ultima II
Ultima III
Ultima IV
Ultima V
Ultima VI
Ultima VII
Ultima VIII
Unravel
Unravel Two
Wing Commander
Wing Commander II
Wing Commander III
Wing Commander IV
Wing Commander: Privateer

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't expect it to impact most people on here, this place is a pretty limited subset of people who play games though. Xbox already has a problem in terms of attach rate in comparison to Playstation. I'm certainly not saying that there is any guarantee that it will impact it, but if you're getting 20+ new games per year out of a subscription, your motivation to spend on another 3-4 games per year may be more limited.
It really depends on the kinds of games you want to play, though. If you're someone who really wants to play Cyberpunk 2077, your subscription to Game Pass won't get in the way of that. I also wouldn't worry about GP being detrimental to content. For example, the first expansion for The Outer Worlds got a bigger scope after the base game's success. Devs have been super happy with GP, and I don't think we'd see EA signing up if that wasn't the case.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
It really depends on the kinds of games you want to play, though. If you're someone who really wants to play Cyberpunk 2077, your subscription to Game Pass won't get in the way of that. I also wouldn't worry about GP being detrimental to content. For example, the first expansion for The Outer Worlds got a bigger scope after the base game's success. Devs have been super happy with GP, and I don't think we'd see EA signing up if that wasn't the case.
Absolutely but it's not the devs involved with GP that really are the concern. EA already has that model, providing they found a price that was appropriate, it doesn't really impact them.

I'm not saying people won't buy third party titles but it would be highly likely that they'd buy less of them, which could impact developer interest or prioritization. Obviously the target audience is wider with windows being a platform so that can help offset some of those concerns.

I guess what I'm saying is that especially with the S and payment plans, MS is really targeting the platform as a subscription box, which is great for consumers if the cost-benefit works for your individual use but it may come at the cost of many publishers and devs outside of that model, ultimately hurting content diversity. My fear is that it has the potential to be a little like the early 360/PS3 days where third parties would throw more effort into 360 games because of the bigger sales base.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This deal is so insane no way is it legal. Someone get a lawyer.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Hmmm. Has to be Ultimate which I don't have because I don't have an Xbox. Currently paying £4 per month. Going to £11 pm just for EA? Undecided.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
What ?

I played all of Fallen Order (20+ hours) after I subbed. Took me like two weeks. Day 1
Then you payed for Origin Access Premier (now known EA Play Pro).
lol and to make it more clear, Fallen Order still is not on EA Play (Origin Access Basic) so, yeh...

Hmmm. Has to be Ultimate which I don't have because I don't have an Xbox. Currently paying £4 per month. Going to £11 pm just for EA? Undecided.
Huh? So you have a PC? You don't need Ultimate.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
If they're going to do conversions on a 3:1 ratio to GPU...

You can currently buy a code for 1 year of EA Access for $30. That would equate to 4 months of GPU, right? Meaning you could get one year of GPU for $90?

GPU is currently $15/month, or $180/year, so this would be half price? Can somebody check my math on this?

Do we have any idea when conversions will go into effect?

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely but it's not the devs involved with GP that really are the concern. EA already has that model, providing they found a price that was appropriate, it doesn't really impact them.

I'm not saying people won't buy third party titles but it would be highly likely that they'd buy less of them, which could impact developer interest or prioritization. Obviously the target audience is wider with windows being a platform so that can help offset some of those concerns.

I guess what I'm saying is that especially with the S and payment plans, MS is really targeting the platform as a subscription box, which is great for consumers if the cost-benefit works for your individual use but it may come at the cost of many publishers and devs outside of that model, ultimately hurting content diversity.
I can see your point. But still, I don't think it's cause for concern. EA's main profit comes from its sports franchises, and that won't be available on GP day one (except for the 10-hour trials), and the same goes for any other EA title. Rockstar has two juggernauts in GTA and Red Dead, and neither are Game Pass day one releases either. You also don't see Call of Duty, Fortnite, PUBG, or Fall Guys there. Assassin's Creed Valhalla will be a launch title outside of GP. Square-Enix isn't doing that either. On the PC side, you have Steam being the monster it is and Epic growing to the point it is publishing new games without any kind of exclusivity deal and keeping IP ownership to the developer.

With all of that in mind, I think it's the opposite of your concern: Game Pass adds more content diversity. If you don't have the money to buy all these games, you can now play them, and also keep buying your most expected titles outside of it.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
lol and to make it more clear, Fallen Order still is not on EA Play (Origin Access Basic) so, yeh...

Huh? So you have a PC? You don't need Ultimate.
I need Ultimate to get EA Play unless I'm reading it wrong and it's only on console. That said EA Play Pro (I assume this is the same) is £15pm or £90 for the year. If it's just EA Play Access then it's irrelevant to me.