• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
Any way to limit bandwidth on the EA Desktop app, because I want to play Squadrons later today but I'd also like to be able to use the internet during like any other human being in the year twenty twenty one.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
I have the same problem as many others I think. It automatically linked an old Xbox account to my EA account.
Now I don't know where to turn to link the correct one. The help guide tells me that they don't give support in my language but it also gives me no option to do it in English.

Or I have another problem... When I look in the EA settings for linked accounts, it is seeing my correct Xbox gamertag, not the old one.

The error message I am getting is when I have installed a game and try to start it, it says "Failed to launch your game, check your internet connection" or something similar to that.

Edit: Manage to unlink and re-link and am sure I have connected the correct accounts. Still cannot launch the games.
I also have the 'Failed to launch your game' error. Anyone found a solution yet? Any form of Googling this is worthless right now, since it just shows Origins errors...

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
So how are you suppose to link the accounts if when I press "install" I get an error and when I click "see in EA Desktop" the EA Desktop window pops up for a split second then disappears?

ive had this problem since yesterday, no fix so far. Did you happen to unlink an account recently?

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to play Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and when I'm trying to launch the game, I get this error:

vF3jLo4.png

When I type in the same EA account I've used to access EA Play, the same window just appears again
Anyone else facing this issue?

Edit: It seems that the game was not added to my library on Origin, but it is in my library in EA Play.. not sure how they interact because it seems like they are the same, minus the Star Wars game

Tranquility

Oct 28, 2017
I also have the 'Failed to launch your game' error. Anyone found a solution yet? Any form of Googling this is worthless right now, since it just shows Origins errors...
Thanks, so it's not only me then!
Let's hope it sorts itself out soon.

Did you have a history of accounts that needed to be re-linked or unlinked?

I installed the ea desktop app weeks ago and I could swear it automatically connected my windows account e-mail (which was my old xbox live e-mail). I knew already then that it would cause a problem when this launch came.
But now when I check, it is seeing the correct gamertag for my new xbox live (and gamepass) account. I also unlinked and successfully re-linked the EA account to the gamepass app just to be sure.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks, so it's not only me then!
Let's hope it sorts itself out soon.

Did you have a history of accounts that needed to be re-linked or unlinked?

I installed the ea desktop app weeks ago and I could swear it automatically connected my windows account e-mail (which was my old xbox live e-mail). I knew already then that it would cause a problem when this launch came.
But now when I check, it is seeing the correct gamertag for my new xbox live (and gamepass) account. I also unlinked and successfully re-linked the EA account to the gamepass app just to be sure.
No linking went pretty easy for me. At first it didn't work but when I signed out of EA Play and then clicked install on a EA Play game in Xbox app, EA Play asked me to sign in and then it linked up perfectly. I've had my Gamertag since 2006 though and my EA account had already been linked through EA games in the past on Xbox Live.

Oct 25, 2017
So yeah, there are some non-working games here. Dead Cells must be installed on the C drive, otherwise it'll look for game data in C:\Windows\System32 for some reason. Star Wars Episode 1 Racer asks for a CD.

I had EA Play on Origin a while back and Dead Cells worked there, would be nice to get it fixed so I can get a version that plays nicer with Steam Big Picture mode.

Tranquility

Oct 28, 2017
No linking went pretty easy for me. At first it didn't work but when I signed out of EA Play and then clicked install on a EA Play game in Xbox app, EA Play asked me to sign in and then it linked up perfectly. I've had my Gamertag since 2006 though and my EA account had already been linked through EA games in the past on Xbox Live.

It works for me now!
Tried launching a game again and now it asked for administrators permission and after that I could start the game properly.
Second game I tried worked without a prompt. Maybe it was some kind of delay in the account updates.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
It works for me now!
Tried launching a game again and now it asked for administrators permission and after that I could start the game properly.
Second game I tried worked without a prompt. Maybe it was some kind of delay in the account updates.
Oh, nice! It works for me too! Right clicked on the icon and ran as administrator and it works flawlessly now! Thanks for the tip!

Nov 8, 2017
What a shitpile, as usual.

Predictably, I'm getting the error where you click install and it just says "duhhhh can't do it" and then you click "see in EA Desktop" and a popup appears for 1 second before disappearing and nothing happens.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If i linked an old Xbox account to my EA account in the past.. am i screwed now? The information window i get then trying to link pretty much says that i am.. sorry if this has been asked before.

I have unlinked the old one but it doesn't help.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
It recognised my Battlefield 4 and Dead Space 3 installs and shows them in the Xbox App but not Battlefield V.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I'm having the issue where my XBL account is linked to a different EA account. Now I have to wait until whenever they have the time to get back to me because I'm sure I'm not the only one in that or similar boat.
I contacted with EA Support. This was the answer: I think this message should be pinned somewhere so everyone can know what the status is

Hey there! Thank you for reaching out to us at EA Help. I know how frustrating it is to not be able to link your current Xbox account to your EA account after you unlinked the old Xbox account, and you're not alone!

Mostly everyone I've seen today that's tried to do this has run into the same issue, and there's not anything we can do on this side for it, as the Xbox account will show unlinked for us as well, and we don't have any way to manually link accounts either.

This seems to be an issue on the backend, and we're continuing to get it reported to our games team here. I'd recommend you try linking it again tomorrow, and if it still gives trouble, keep an eye out here on Twitter for updates, and feel free to check back with us too, as we'll be happy to share any new details we've received.

Jun 2, 2019
Woke up to this today, hopefully i won't find any issues.

Star wars squadrons downloading. Gosh, will it support ultrawide? Did the trial on PS4 and LOVED it. I've been looking for a good sw dogfight game since the last Rogue Squadron

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I hope this boosts the player count of Titanfall 1.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
My EA account says there's nothing linked.

My Xbox account has "manage" listed instead of "link" under EA linking section. I think it used to say this even before the update, but can anyone else confirm? I'm 99.999% sure I've never linked it to any accounts of any sorts. Does it say "manage" for everyone, even people who haven't connected it?

I would try to just "log in with Xbox Live account" on EA.com, but I'm afraid if I do that it will create a phantom account and link it to that, thus ruining my unlinked account (if it is indeed unliked).

Fuck I hate this bullshit.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I have my really old Xbox account linked to my EA account I removed it and...

Your accounts can't be linked because the EA Account for *******@hotmail.co.uk was previously linked to the Xbox account for GAMERTAG. An EA Account can only be linked to one Xbox account in its lifetime.

Awesome!

I guess I will have to make a new EA account just for Xbox, and keep this old one just for Playstation.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I can't download games inside gamepass, I got error all the time. It is only working on ea desktop.

Ixian

Nov 25, 2018
Are the Command & Conquer games from the ultimate collection showing up in EA Desktop for anyone else? Should be part of EA Play according to Origin but no luck. I don't want to assume PC Game Pass is getting the short end of the stick so hoping it's just an oversight for now.

Nov 8, 2017
I can't download games inside gamepass, I got error all the time. It is only working on ea desktop.

What process did you even do to get EA desktop working?

I mean the program itself works, but it doesn't acknowledge anything about me having the rights to download those games.

I think it's supposed to automatically link but mine is just ... failing.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Are the Command & Conquer games from the ultimate collection showing up in EA Desktop for anyone else? Should be part of EA Play according to Origin but no luck. I don't want to assume PC Game Pass is getting the short end of the stick so hoping it's just an oversight for now.

EA Desktop itself still doesn't have everything from Origin moved over. So the only C&C thing in Desktop so far is the Remastered collection from the looks of it.

I mean the program itself works, but it doesn't acknowledge anything about me having the rights to download those games.

I don't know if it'll help, but here's the exact steps I did this morning to get it working.

1. Open up Xbox App on Windows.
2. Clicked the "install EA Desktop" button.
3. Installed EA Desktop.
4. Launched EA Desktop, logged in with EA account.
5. Went back to Xbox App, tried to install game.
6. EA Desktop popped up another login prompt, and then asked if I wanted to link Xbox with EA account. Said yes.
7. EA Desktop opened up with the game page I was trying to install, but said I didn't have EA Play access.
8. Closed EA Desktop.
9. Reopened EA Desktop.

and at that point it worked and I could install things as if I had EA Play.

Once you get that prompt about linking accounts, it should just work, but it looks like EA Desktop needs some sort of refresh to acknowledge the connection.

Nov 8, 2017
EA Desktop itself still doesn't have everything from Origin moved over. So the only C&C thing in Desktop so far is the Remastered collection from the looks of it.

I don't know if it'll help, but here's the exact steps I did this morning to get it working.

1. Open up Xbox App on Windows.
2. Clicked the "install EA Desktop" button.
3. Installed EA Desktop.
4. Launched EA Desktop, logged in with EA account.
5. Went back to Xbox App, tried to install game.
6. EA Desktop popped up another login prompt, and then asked if I wanted to link Xbox with EA account. Said yes.
7. EA Desktop opened up with the game page I was trying to install, but said I didn't have EA Play access.
8. Closed EA Desktop.
9. Reopened EA Desktop.

and at that point it worked and I could install things as if I had EA Play.

Ok mine fails on step 6.

EA never asks to link anything, and nothing I do from the xbox app beyond that point will ever seem to have any associated reaction from the EA app.
It just flickers up briefly then disappears and fails silently.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Ok mine fails on step 6.

EA never asks to link anything, and nothing I do from the xbox app beyond that point will ever seem to have any associated reaction from the EA app.
Yup same. The window does nothing but flicker when its suppose to ask to link. Tried downloading EA app 3 different ways and it all ends the same.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Man the EA app sucks. Slow, doesn't remember my log in or my preferred download folder, requests me to take a survey after every single install.

What trash.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Ok mine fails on step 6.

Yeah I did think it was strange that even though I had Desktop running in the background, and was logged in, that I got another prompt to log in upon attempting to install a game and that's when it prompted me to link accounts.

My only suggestion would be to kill all processes (Xbox App and EA Desktop), open up just the Xbox App and attempt to install an EA Play game and see what happens. It "should" try to launch EA Desktop, and I would hope give you the prompt to both log in, and then ask to link accounts. If not, then I'm just gonna blame EA putting out a real buggy app.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
There's no chance any of the mass effect games or dragons origins have all the dlc included, right?

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019

I just downloaded ea desktop with Gamepass app open and allowed me to download games and play.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
That took me FAR too long to sort out, Jesus Christ.

After changing email addresses, unlinking accounts, making a new account, THEN a PC restart I finally have the Saboteur installing.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
I also found out that my EA account which I hadn't used in a decade had at some point been used by some Russian fella to buy points for a Battlefield game or something.

So if he remembers the account he stole a decade ago he'll be in for a rude awakening!

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah I did think it was strange that even though I had Desktop running in the background, and was logged in, that I got another prompt to log in upon attempting to install a game and that's when it prompted me to link accounts.

My only suggestion would be to kill all processes (Xbox App and EA Desktop), open up just the Xbox App and attempt to install an EA Play game and see what happens. It "should" try to launch EA Desktop, and I would hope give you the prompt to both log in, and then ask to link accounts. If not, then I'm just gonna blame EA putting out a real buggy app.

Killing all processes and trying various combinations of restarting the pc, uninstalling and reinstalling, having ea open or not open have all been exhausted. Nothing works.

Someone else says I should try linking accounts by installing Fifa 20 on Xbox via gsmepass then logging into the ea account from that on console, then trying the pc stuff again.

That may or may not work but what a fucking preposterous troubleshooting step. God it's so fucking dire, everything about the win store back end and gamepass pc app Is an ongoing disaster.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
PSA about Origin vs EA Desktop app

They do not have the same game library in a 1:1 ratio. Small example that probably no one will care: I have Syndicate in my EA account, which shows in Origin but doesn't exist in Desktop app. If you have already bought some games in Origin, check if you have them too in EA Desktop app. New app say games will be arriving later to the app, but if you are extremely unlucky and one of those games is one you want to play now and aren't on the Desktop app, you have a reason to keep Origin App.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Killing all processes and trying various combinations of restarting the pc, uninstalling and reinstalling, having ea open or not open have all been exhausted. Nothing works.

Someone else says I should try linking accounts by installing Fifa 20 on Xbox via gsmepass then logging into the ea account from that on console, then trying the pc stuff again.

That may or may not work but what a fucking preposterous troubleshooting step. God it's so fucking dire, everything about the win store back end and gamepass pc app Is an ongoing disaster.

The thing is, I think this problem is more on the EA Desktop side of things than the Xbox/Gamepass side of things. The Xbox app does seem like it's trying to hand it to EA Desktop, and for some reason it just doesn't want to do it. Blame EA for pushing out (yet another) launcher/storefront that wasn't ready yet. It's probably why they delayed the EA Play/Gamepass for PC integration in the first place.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Just to make things more fun, if you have the EA Desktop App installed you CAN'T play EA Play games on Steam, since it goes in conflict with Origin (that is actually used for install games via Steam with EA Play).
So yeah, nice stuff with those EA launchers.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is your issue just that you can't link your accounts? Mine was already linked before, so I'm wondering if you can go to your EA account through your web browser and link it there. I'm on mobile now so I don't know for sure if it's possible, but worth a shot.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I FINALLY got it to work! Jedi Fallen Order time baby! Also Fuck EA and Microsoft.

Hey try to follow the instructions on this link.

https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxGamePa.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Turns out my Xbox account was attached to a very old EA account (a time before I started gaming on PC I guess??) but my Xbox account did not tell me this. This allowed me to unlink that shit and get the proper accounts linked.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
I'm having the same problem with not being able to link my Xbox account because I linked my old 360 account from eons ago with an old hotmail address I no longer have access to. Went to EA support and they say the same thing the error shows that only one EA account can be linked in a lifetime (which is incredibly weird) and the only way was for me to make a second EA account, so now I'm stuck having a split library between PC and Xbox, and I don't know how this will work if their multiplayer games will start having cross progression.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having the same problem with not being able to link my Xbox account because I linked my old 360 account from eons ago with an old hotmail address I no longer have access to. Went to EA support and they say the same thing the error shows that only one EA account can be linked in a lifetime (which is incredibly weird) and the only way was for me to make a second EA account, so now I'm stuck having a split library between PC and Xbox, and I don't know how this will work if their multiplayer games will start having cross progression.
EA have definitely unlinked old Xbox accounts from profiles for others in this thread. I'd just try and speak to another advisor and mention that others have been able to unlink their accounts.