• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
EA's conferences were usually quite boring bar some of the indies they show like Yarny and Sea of Solitude. I remember E3 2014 I think, where a lot of games were announced with just concept art, that was annoying as hell.

Oct 25, 2017
Well EA was going to be garbage anyway, but having them and Sony missing definitely makes E3 seem less eventful this year.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
This E3 is already a bummer.

It'll be officially dead when Giant Bomb cancels their E3 trip

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
That's a pity, that was terrible but it was part of the gamer yearly tradition. This year's E3 will probably be very quiet anyway, most next-gen games will be revealed next year.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
"Good", "thank god"...weird ass comments in here. Has EA been holding guns to people's heads making them watch their past conferences?

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
MAYBE Bethesda will be ok, but I can totally see them bouncing as well.
don't know, because of the fallout fiasco. Maybe they'll have some PR remedy for this conference (even though, if I remember correctly, only fallout and the prey extension - presented in the event - were released so far)

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
If they have streams with exclusive footage and dev talking I think that's better. Like Nintendo 2016 was still awesome even if there wasn't a presentation.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
We're skipping the press conference this year and are replacing it with multiple live streams that will air during the first two days of the event, bringing you more of what you've told us you want - more gameplay and insights from the teams making the games.
So, they're still going to have a "show" at E3; just in a tighter, video-only, Inside Xbox/Nintendo Direct kinda format. Sounds like a good change.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
IF these companies actually move toward killing off E3 as this industry wide celebration of video games and excitement each year, it will be a bad move for all companies involved IMO. I don't want to hear about how they can all "do their own things" and use different media to livestream/announce things and such, as the industry would have willingly killed off its version of the Super Bowl. That is stupid and crappy for gamers no matter who you favor.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Man thats a shame, no ea and no sony.

Really hope there doing it just to save up for e3 2020 with the new consoles. Love e3, so much excitement.

Although except for jedi order theres nothing that ea has currently that interests me, unless they manage to not fuck up battlefront 3

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it might be time for E3 to change to a fan-only event, or die entirely. The internet has changed everything and waiting until June to fight for attention against the entire industry isn't a good move anymore.

EA could drop an announcement for a great game on a random Tuesday and they'd get more attention than they'd get at E3.

giphy.gif

I don't think I agree. I've said this before, but E3 is the one time a year when gaming announcements get into non-gaming media. If EA announces something randomly in May or whatever, only gaming websites will report on it with any real coverage. Maybe getting into those mainstream publications doesn't translate to sales, but I definitely don't think a random EA announcement would carry the same coverage as if it was at E3.

I think it's really more likely that EA's conferences have been atrocious for years, and they have nothing to show. I mean, last year they had to get someone to just announce from the crowd that a Star Wars game was getting made to pad the lineup. EA just can't sustain a conference. Really, only the big 3 probably can, and even Sony didn't have that much last year (and won't be doing anything this year because I suspect they're holding stuff for the PS5).

I guess this year will be MS and Nintendo for me. Maybe Bethesda. Though I suspect half of their show will be dedicated to unfucking FO:76.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Not really. But were they adding any value to the E3? I get those comments are childish, but very accurate.
"Accurate" in what way exactly? What value is being added here by saying "Good" and thank god to something you don't even have to watch? PC Gaming show adds nothing to E3 for me for example. No reason I'd be happy if they decide to skip. Like you said, it's childish. Let's improve the discourse on this forum.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
E3 isn't going anywhere, it's just a transition year for the console manufacturers where one gen is on the way out and they're prepping for a new one.

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Sounds like a good change.
would say a cheaper alternative instead of a good change, but I can see your point....tighter events are usually better and easier to watch (you can place a 5 min reveal as an paid advertisement at Youtube, but not a 60 min stream)

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Accurate" in what way exactly? What value is being added here by saying "Good" and thank god to something you don't even have to watch? PC Gaming show adds nothing to E3 for me for example. No reason I'd be happy if they decide to skip. Like you said, it's childish. Let's improve the discourse on this forum.
It's just a press conference and people didn't like their conferences for years. Not sure why you're so bothered by people commenting on it. They've been bad year after year.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017

But, they dont go to E3. Focusing on their streams rather than a barebones "E3 timed conference" is the best outcome really.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's just a press conference and people didn't like their conferences for years. Not sure why you're so bothered by people commenting on it. They've been bad year after year.
It has nothing to do with the conference itself or who's doing it. Replace the thread with "Square Enix" or "Bethesda" or anybody and the principle is the same. I'd love for the discourse on here to improve. Commenting on previous conferences, making a point that you'd like improvements and changes, things you'd like to see different is far better and something encouraged than devolving into reveling in something you don't even have to watch. Isn't that obvious?

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
It has nothing to do with the conference itself or who's doing it. Replace the thread with "Square Enix" or "Bethesda" or anybody and the principle is the same. I'd love for the discourse on here to improve. Commenting on previous conferences, making a point that you'd like improvements and changes, things you'd like to see different is far better and something encouraged than devolving into reveling in something you don't even have to watch. Isn't that obvious?

To be honest people are complaining about same things for years now and EA is not changing a thing for last few years. So constructive feedback didn't work either.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn... they really don't have anything, do they? EA and Activision are in such a weird place right now.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Hopefully we will have one last big E3 next year if both the PS5 and Xbone2 are announced by early 2020.

Windows Central guys basically confirmed that MS will announce next gen consoles at this E3 and i'm sure PS5 will be announced at some PSX/PS Meeting by the end of this year.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think this means that E3 is doomed, I think it's just companies realizing that E3 conferences are not required if you don't have anything to show. I can't really think of anything EA has that required a press conference, and Sony probably doesn't either. MS is going because they have Halo, the next gen consoles presumably, and all of their new studios.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
One key thing that people should keep in mind here (myself included) is that EA is still doing a big thing for E3 (same timeframe of their "own" event during E3 week as it has been for the last however many years) even though they are ditching a press conference itself, so that isn't the same thing as Sony skipping E3 entirely this year at all.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
EA's biggest games don't need a "press conference" (let's be clear...these public stage shows aren't for the press) to introduce them to the public. FIFA will sell, Madden will sell, The Sims will sell, anything with Star Wars in the title will sell. All a Press Conference does is reinforce how thin EA's lineup really is compared to other similar sized publishers.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
I think this is a pity. Even though I wasn't much of a fan of the games they usually focused on at the conferences, I still liked that they participated at least. I love E3 and the hype around the conferences, so I hope this trend of publishers skipping doesn't continue in the coming years.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Not a major surprise. It allows them to keep footage to a minimum and still maintain the hype cycle from their "Game Changers."

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This means no more cringe moments to laugh at, i would say we did lost something.

klauskorp

Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota
Their last few conferences have been really bad and pointless anyway. I wouldn't expect anything worthwhile to be announced this year, unless they were ready to blow the lid off of something Respawn is working on (such as that Star Wars game).

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Nothing of value was lost. Their shows are 100% garbage.

Also, Wilson would've / should've been boo'd off the stage.