• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
I don't know if racing games really need remakes. Just make better ones now. Need for Speed Underground 3 for example.

Like the only reason Burnout Paradise got remastered is because they're refusing to make a new one. They think it won't sell?

Go back to the early-mid 00s and the Underground games were always one of the top selling games of the year.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
I'm getting old.

Entered the thread expecting this when classic NFS was mentioned

s-l300.jpg

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
OP When you said classic, I thought you meant Road & Track Presents Need For Speed... and part 2 and part 3 (original Hot Pursuit).

I'm not to found of the open world ones.

OP
OP
Sems4arsenal

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Its a bandwidth issue, EA has a lot of money but they dont have infinite teams, so the NFS team is busy working on new stuff and if they were to outsource a 3rd party to start doing HD remakes of stuff ... well, knowing how EA operates it would be come "a thing" and then you would get a bunch of red tape thrown at it and who knows when it would get done.

EA generally means well and a lot of talented people work very hard, but sometimes they cant stop EA'ing all over themselves. The recent Command and Conquer is an outlier since Laura Miele was part of the original game and this was a point of pride for her

Don't make a new NFS then.

A Hot Pursuit 2 or a Underground remake will sell as well if not better.

Segaswirl

Feb 5, 2018
Glasgow, Scotland.
I keep my PS3 Slim hooked up just so I can still play the older PS1 NFS games (Yes I prefer them over the PC versions, apart from Porsche 2000).

I think Burnout 3 and/or Revenge should be remastered and brought back online before anything else though. When it comes to online racing Paradise just doesn't do it for me. I get better online racing out of Dangerous Driving than I ever did with Paradise.

Hot Pursuit 2010 being remastered is really nice though. Online racing on this was great too, I hope it has crossplay.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Don't make a new NFS then.

A Hot Pursuit 2 or a Underground remake will sell as well if not better.

Thats something that needs to be proven and not, you know, because of your feelings. Conventional numbers dicate new games do better than remasters and if youre gonna do a full remake, you might as well make a new game.

Good to see someone else confused by 'classics' referring to the later games and not the first five. I don't think NFS2 needs a remake as it's pretty much perfect already, but I'd love to see the real classic (pre-Underground) games made available for digital distribution. I still have my old discs kept safely stored, but I'd rebuy them all in a moment digitally.
Yeah, that'd be a good start. Though I'd kill for an arcade racer full of 90s cars in a current gen engine.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Nostalgia sells a lot more, surely?

Exceptions apply but traditionally it does not sell more. Remakes sell to a fraction of the fanbase of the original game, so that can put a hard cap on your sales estimates but a new game potentially attracts a much bigger, more current fanbase. For instance, if they made a -new- Hot Pursuit that catered to old fans and new as a brand new entry, that has a lot more potential sales than a HF2 remake

(worked for EA for over 6 years, I know how they roll)

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Edit: SSX 3 as well, can't believe that game isn't on modern consoles.
The OG Xbox version is playable on Xbox One (& on Series X most likely) & even got a digital release.

Buy SSX 3 | Xbox

Life begins at the summit of the first peak, where a daunting mountain awaits you—ride it … explore it … beat it! Featuring all-new freestyle events and racecourses, jaw-dropping tricks, and a cast of cool customizable characters, SSX 3 is yours to conquer.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I honestly don't know how this isn't a thing. Everyone and their mother is remaking games right now. Yet, EA are sitting on a gold mine of classic NFS titles like Most Wanted, Underground, and probably the best one -- Hot Pursuit 2.

They did "remake" Hot Pursuit 2. It was the 2010 Hot Pursuit game.

Same goes with Most Wanted.