• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
I honestly don't know how this isn't a thing. Everyone and their mother is remaking games right now. Yet, EA are sitting on a gold mine of classic NFS titles like Most Wanted, Underground, and probably the best one -- Hot Pursuit 2.

It's not like the modern NFS games are brilliant either.

C'mon EA. You know you want too.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming that it's because they know they could not get away with MTX'ing those games without a huge backlash.

At least with new NFS games they do it because people already expect them to do it.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
NOT REMAKING SSX TRICKY IS WHATS BAFFLING MY FRIEND! *wipes spittle from mouth, monitor*

julian

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

Jeff Grubb: the remaining EA games coming to Switch are Plants vs Zombies, a new EA Original and NFS Hot Pursuit Remastered

https://venturebeat.com/2020/06/22/here-are-the-7-ea-games-coming-to-nintendo-switch-in-the-next-year/ So here is the full list of seven EA games hitting Nintendo Switch this year: Burnout Paradise FIFA 21 Apex Legends Lost in Random Velan Studios game Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit Plants...
I thought they were releasing a remastered Hot Pursuit

NOT REMAKING SSX TRICKY IS WHATS BAFFLING MY FRIEND! *wipes spittle from mouth, monitor*
A billion times this!

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't think EA remembers what NFS actually started out like.

"We're taking the series back to its roots, which really means about five years ago when the fifteenth game in the series came out."

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'm assuming that it's because they know they could not get away with MTX'ing those games without a huge backlash.

At least with new NFS games they do it because people already expect them to do it.
NFS Heat is one of the best racing games of the generation in terms of monetization.

Nov 28, 2017
What was that recent tweet from the official NFS or NFSHeat account, related to Get Low, right before the EA Play live stream? Just a track for NFSHeat?

If that was "just a track for Heat", and not teases for UG & UG2 remasters/remakes in upcoming years, EA are indeed wasting their IP.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

There's no MTX in the newest NFS game (Heat).

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
I agree. I dunno how they went from NFS Underground to the rollercoaster of decent to bad games to what we have now, without them at least TRYING to go back to what works.

Also, EA not bringing back Fight Night is baffling as well as a travesty

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
There is a good reason why racing games with real cars arent getting remade. Re-acquiring licenses is a pain. At that point, might as well just make a new game.

Also, the problem with modern NFS games is mainly the actual driving feel itself - something that a remake would fuck up all the same.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Need for Speed Heat, is absolutely brilliant.

It's better than Underground 1 (which I used to deem amazing, until I went back and played it, hasn't aged well at all).

Hot Pursuit 2 still holds up great, but the 2010 version is just better.

Oct 27, 2017
They're probably not remaking them for the same reasons an all digital future is bad after X amount of years, licensing. There are probably too many hurdles with cars, merch, product, and music licensing for many of them.

Heck Xbox seems to be delisting Forza games roughly 3-4 years after they release so it a console manufacturer has to cave to licensing issues for one of their biggest exclusives I imagine EA doesn't find it worth it to make all the licensing work.

That also could be a large reason why were only getting THPS1 &2 remade, not 3&4.

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
Burnout Paradise being remastered over 3 or Revenge is baffling. And the handling of dead space. And everything else EA does.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada

Why do you assume that this is the reason? Especially when they've recently released a well made C&C Remastered collection without any microtransactions. They did the same with Burnout: Paradise Remastered.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Underground or Most Wanted would make the most sense for a full remake considering the nostalgia involved
That also could be a large reason why were only getting THPS1 &2 remade, not 3&4.
I think 1&2 are being remade since there's way more nostalgia for them compared to later mainline games and are smaller in scope than a underground remake.

Daniagatha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 31, 2018
Brazil
I wanted so much a Most Wanted with all the blacklist and the police being crazy after you....and this

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i dont want a remake cause i know they'd ruin the controls. just give the games a new paint job like the pc mods do

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair to them, there is licensing issues like cars and music.
I wish it would happen but I can see why they don't.

Still, I would love to see a remaster or SOTC style remake for NFS Pro Street, Most Wanted and Underground.

And yes, NFS Heat is great. Anybody wanting a modern version of the open world streed NFS should give it a try.

SheriffMcDuck

Oct 27, 2017
NFSU2 is one of my favorite racing games ever. The fact it hasn't been put on modern consoles will always baffle me.

Edit: SSX 3 as well, can't believe that game isn't on modern consoles.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I'll always have a soft spot for NFS Porsche. It was my first racing game. I would definitely buy a remake.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh (I skipped it cause I heard it was okay at best). Nevermind then!

Then if they're willing to skip MTX in NFS titles, they should absolutely be remaking them lol.

Yeah honestly, since they're still dealing with the Battlefront II backlash/BFV struggles/Anthem bomb...

Right now is the time, cause once next-gen gets rolling and they potentially start thriving again you know they'll go right back to imposing whatever they think they can get away with!

Heat felt to me like they understand people want Underground again, so maybe that is what's next.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I'd love a remaster from those, but they would also need work.
EA is only getting into this remaster buisness very slowly.
They only ported games so far that don't need as much work like Burnout Paradise.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if a lot of it has to do with licensing issues. Especially when looking at the underground series with all the different parts makers and not sure how enthusiastic car manufacturers would be to license out older no longer available vehicles vs. how much EA wants to invest.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
I've been disappointed with the series since Hot Pursuit 2010. Haven't played Heat yet but it looks ok.
Was talking about this a while back, Hot Pursuit 2 on the PS2 is brilliant.
Maybe the highlight of the entire series (along with Hot Pursuit 2010)

(Edit - I can only imagine how good a new decent NFS will look on PS5 and XSX.)

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
I often play underground 2 on my pc. With mods it looks awesome. I even have it running in 21:9 ratio!!

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Also i think the underground games portrayed the zeitgeist of the time. They were lightning in a bottle and it would be so hard due to licensing issues to remake/remaster them. Its one of them, "you had to be there" things.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
What was that recent tweet from the official NFS or NFSHeat account, related to Get Low, right before the EA Play live stream? Just a track for NFSHeat?

If that was "just a track for Heat", and not teases for UG & UG2 remasters/remakes in upcoming years, EA are indeed wasting their IP.

Someone asked the NFS Twitter if it was a tease for an Underground remake or Underground-themed DLC for Heat. Their response:

lol no

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
They've been trying for years to recapture the magic of the PS2 era of games, both with and without the original names attached - just look how we've had multiple entries with them trotting out the "go back to the roots" line or trying to invoke nostalgia and the end result is always the same (not even close).

"We want to start with old junkbox rides and work hard to get the fast cars" - You always start with a fast car and move into supercars after a few hours. Remember when a tricked out BMW M3 was the star car? Now it's always whatever supercar EA can get a marketing deal with.

"We want a city that feels alive and is fun to cruise around" - It's always a barren hub with barely any traffic and an always online mechanic that people have no reason to care about.

"We want full detailed customisation and the ability to upgrade our starter car throughout the entire game" - You get a garbage upgrade system and barely any visual customisation options.

"We want dynamic and thrilling police chases that are like a game of cat and mouse" - Instead it's scripted chases with braindead AI.

"We want a soundtrack that represents the underground racing scene" - Here's a soundtrack that marketing tells us focus tested well with our target market. Lol no you can't have Get Low.

"We want better controls" - They're never better, ever.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

CTR was remade, has MTX and was pretty well received.
Oh (I skipped it cause I heard it was okay at best). Nevermind then!
NFS Rivals and 2015 also didn't have any microtransactions.

OP
OP
Sems4arsenal

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
People mentioning licenses. Most of the cars in the games I mentioned already reappear in the modern NFS titles.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd buy a remake of that NFS: Most Wanted game from the PS2 era.

And remasters/remakes of DS1-3, Dante's Inferno and Alice.

C'mon, EA.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Its a bandwidth issue, EA has a lot of money but they dont have infinite teams, so the NFS team is busy working on new stuff and if they were to outsource a 3rd party to start doing HD remakes of stuff ... well, knowing how EA operates it would be come "a thing" and then you would get a bunch of red tape thrown at it and who knows when it would get done.

EA generally means well and a lot of talented people work very hard, but sometimes they cant stop EA'ing all over themselves. The recent Command and Conquer is an outlier since Laura Miele was part of the original game and this was a point of pride for her

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
SSX Tricky, please.

(could the music licensing costs be preventing it? if so, could a couple EA execs do us a solid and donate/write off .001% of their salary to make this happen?)

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
I honestly don't know how this isn't a thing. Everyone and their mother is remaking games right now. Yet, EA are sitting on a gold mine of classic NFS titles like Most Wanted, Underground, and probably the best one -- Hot Pursuit 2.

It's not like the modern NFS games are brilliant either.

C'mon EA. You know you want too.

I still have amazing memories of the original Need For Speed from the 90's. I spent many hours on that one.

pez2k

Apr 21, 2018
NFS2 is a classic, not those crappy mid two-thousands games. Give me a remake of NFS2 and three with the original cars and tracks and I'm happy.

Good to see someone else confused by 'classics' referring to the later games and not the first five. I don't think NFS2 needs a remake as it's pretty much perfect already, but I'd love to see the real classic (pre-Underground) games made available for digital distribution. I still have my old discs kept safely stored, but I'd rebuy them all in a moment digitally.