• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, there was an EA Japan, but there wasn't any sort of development happening there. As we all saw yesterday, both Japan and Russia were two branches that EA said were part of the reorganization. That's all they did was publish titles, meaning someone else will be doing it now or it will be handled by another EA branch.

Doesn't change the fact that it stinks.
EA Japan used to produce games locally too but I think that stopped last gen. They oversaw versions of Sim City (2000), Populous and Theme Park on DS, some DS Zelda clone called Tsumuji that never left Japan and assisted Grasshopper on Shadows of the Damned.

Last edited:

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
I don´t believe that at all.

People did not buy it because they simply were not interested.

There aren´t millions of people out there who are dying to play Anthem, but they chose not to to prove a point.
Again, with Boycott I was talking about this forum. THere are 300 reasons for the flops of their recent games.

But if people here boycotts them, they can't mock and act surprised if they close offices.
What do you expect, EA going bad and keeping offices and jobs?

I see people shitting on them regardless, which is an hypocrisy

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of people that boycotted the game because of mass effect. Being buggy is one of the reasons of the flop, with boycott being one of them. Plus the BFV flop and the ME flop and last year Battlefront 2 flop.

And the argument is not about boycott or not, You are here hoping they go down and when they start doing so you mock them because they start closing branches.

Get a grip
Where am I hoping they go down? You utter drip.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Better than you for sure.
Yeah right, so if I tell you I am doing bad I usually earn 100k per month and now I am earning 80, you respond to me " You are doing fine, I am earning 60"?

What does Take Two earning have anything to do with EA losing millions in the last 6 months? You clearly have no idea how it works.

Even with a high revenue missing the target by this much has huge consequences and it's bad, really bad. And I should not explain this to you

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
How well do EA games sell in Japan? I can't imagine that much. Honestly, it makes way more sense to have an already established publisher out there handle it for them...

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
User Banned (3 Days): Antagonizing other members over a series of posts; account still in junior phase
lmao what

I barely, if ever post about EA. Keep your persecution complex away from me.
Persecution of what? I bloody hate the company. And have a look at your comment history, it's easy to spot ;)

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
And they said they wanted to get rid of their worst gaming company image?

lmao

I'm pretty sure sound business decisions are more important to EA than appeasing passionate but misinformed forum commenters and redditors.

Heck, it's not as if people don't understand that many of these layoffs are based on credible business decisions. Check how different the tone in the Valve layoff thread was from this one.

People just projecting their EA bias and skewing the discussion away from an intellectual position.

There's no way that office would be closed if it were a profitable unit, standalone.

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Nah. People say that a lot, but it´s still wrong.

Billions are being made.

Not everybody can be a winner at all times - that´s competition.
I think the idea that AAA dev is inherently unsustainable is too much to pull from this, but I also don't know how you came to your conclusion. Billions are indeed being made, but that does not mean billions in profit are coming in - especially when creating new AAA games costs tens and hundreds of millions of dollars now. AAA dev is a hits-based industry, like movies and music. Gaming takes the most capital investment and has the most potential return. If your game flops, though, that's a huge hit to the bottom line. Most publishers, let alone devs, don't have too many of those they can take.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, that's fucked.

Reading the article, it was part of the 350 laid off worldwide.

AAA development is unsustainable.

Correction.

Having years of critically lambasted major releases for your flagship franchise, alienating those fans and releasing constantly broken games that don't sell according to expectations is unsustainable.

Nov 6, 2017
EA Japan used to produce games locally too but I think that stopped last gen. They oversaw versions of Sim City (2000), Populous and Theme Park on DS, some DS Zelda clone called Tsumuji that never left Japan and assisted Grasshopper on Shadows of the Damned.

They staffed up and shut down EA Japan - at least as a development studio - a couple of times. A different incarnation of EA Japan did FIFA Road to the World Cup (Japanese PS2 exclusive) and X-Squad for instance. Then they got shut down and EA spun up a new version around the time Mirror's Edge was coming out. I may still have some of the PR stuff from TGS but none of the games they initially announced came out (with one exception, the DS dating sim they announced ended up as a f2p iOS title about 10 years later, with no EA ties, and shut down almost immediately)

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Fair - I'd have to imagine the Japan branch was fairly unnecessary in the overall scheme of things.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AAA dev is a hits-based industry, like movies and music. Gaming takes the most capital investment and has the most potential return. If your game flops, though, that's a huge hit to the bottom line. Most publishers, let alone devs, don't have too many of those they can take.

That still does not mean that AAA is unsustainable.

As I said - "Not everybody can be a winner at all times - that´s competition."

And that´s absolutely not exclusive to games, movies or music.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Wow, that's fucked.

Reading the article, it was part of the 350 laid off worldwide.

AAA development is unsustainable.
More like launching full price AAA games with a GAAS model suitable for F2P games from day 1.

For example Battlefront 2 could of sold millions more at full price if it wasn't a shit show at launch. Their greed gets the better of them.

Anyway I presume this means more money for Sony in Japan as they will probably publish some of their titles now.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Are you living in a parallel world? Their games are not selling, they literally just launched Anthem even if it needed a little more time because they needed revenue before the ending of the fiscal year and that bombed or half bombed as well.

Where have you been exactly? Things have been going bad for EA
Even the bomb that was BF5 sold 7 million copies lol. They make money just not all of it.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
EA is rapidly becoming irrelevant.

As much as I would love them to change nearly everything about their philosophy on game monetization and the release state of their published games, I fear they aren't becoming irrelevant with FIFA, the Star Wars license, and the Apex Legends. I think we will see them double down on some problematic elements moving forward.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
As much as I would love them to change nearly everything about their philosophy on game monetization and the release state of their published games, I fear they aren't becoming irrelevant with FIFA, the Star Wars license, and the Apex Legends. I think we will see them double down on some problematic elements moving forward.
At the same time, Ultimate Team has brought them legal headaches and their handling of the Star Wars license so far has been below pretty much everyone's expectations. In a few years, they'll likely lose Star Wars exclusivity, and as long as there are legal questions pertaining to loot boxes and UT-like card packs, they shouldn't feel secure in the money they make.