• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I'm sure that is the case. But, also, the people without power (to run a multi-billion dollar company) are also not in touch with the reality of business. Most people in these posts on Era would be bad businessmen, driving investors away. Sure, they would have the best intentions, but the truth is more nuanced And complex. The profits need to go up, because that's how capitalism works. Ok, let's add loot boxes! Outrage. Ok, so let's raise the price of games to $70. Outrage. Let's make a subscription service for our games with a store to match. Outrage. Ok - let's crunch to make more games so we earn more! Outrage (justified, but you get what I'm saying).Ok, Let's change capitalism for the better! Um, sure I guess, yeah, but you do realize this is a very complex thing to do, far beyond the ability of one company?

Of course, there is a middle ground and the best game companies seem to be able to make some compromise. Like, CDPR was totally fair to gamers and still earned a lot of money with Witcher and Ubisoft (even with all the criticism) seems to be offering good value for the base price of their games. EA made a lot of bad mistakes, sure, and they should suffer the consequences of these mistakes, but I think some people are too quick to oversimplify the entire issue.
yeah i guess this needs to be said, they can critisize them for their scummy business practices but at the end of the day EA is doing what they are supposed to do,making money đź’µ

Companies are NOT your friends, not even videogame ones.NOT your friend.

EA still sucks, others are more charismatic and sensible and make more fun products thats why i buy them instead :3

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
yeah i guess this needs to be said, they can critisize them for their scummy business practices but at the end of the day EA is doing what they are supposed to do,making money đź’µ

Companies are NOT your friends, not even videogame ones.NOT your friend.

EA still sucks, others are more charismatic and sensible and make more fun products thats why i buy them instead :3

Agreed :)

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I feel like EA's problem, outside of predatory monetization, is that just don't even make games I'm interested in anymore. Maybe it's because I only liked their Bioware output in the past, and even that's gone way downhill. The only other games they offer that I'm ever interesting in is what Respawn puts out. Nothing else they make ever catches my eye.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
They killed C&C and Westwood and turned the franchise into a F2P mobile game. Among many other studios and games they have destroyed

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always liked those "Worst companies in America" reports where EA is #1.

Okay so one company employs overseas slave labor. Another destroys the rain forest. The other steals the clean water from a tiny island community. This one literally kills people. But this one has loot boxes.

And Reddit goes - "Oh it's definitely the lootbox one, that affects me!"
The entire world ignores those other companies and doesn't really give a shit about them either.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
The executives at EA have made shitty decisions but I find the overreactions gross. They make money from a hobby. A hobby which they do not have the power to destroy. They employe a lot of people who I'm sure have passion to develop great games.

EA has needed new leadership and has gone from a company I used to buy lots of games from to a company if spend little with anymore but they aren't a threat to humanity. The anger and vitriol is over the top. Just ignore their products until they have executives making better decisions.

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
I've seen a lot of folks justify EA's bullshit and general idiocy with them totally getting the market. (Let's ignore the dumpster fire currently burning in the corner that is Anthem)

But if there is one decision that can earn them a ton of goodwill and make a ton of money, it's this. Like, those games are all running on a single, familiar engine. If you want to cheap out and put in the absolute minimum effort, just have them at 4K/60FPS and leave it at that without touching up the outdated assets and janky gameplay of ME1. It would be an impressive feat if they went back and improved a lot of the mechanically weak aspects of the ME trilogy but it would still be a successful package even if they put the most absolute bare minimum. Yet, they're not doing it.

Absolutely baffling.

Seriously. Im just asking for a Remaster. not a remake. This seems like Easy money. They can win a ton of good will with fixing ME1. But...eh

Aiervon

Digital Strategist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Dallas
So the NFL was the one to offer the exclusive license.

Yes, but there is a big difference between the NFL offering it directly to one company and putting it up for auction to anyone wanting to acquire it.

This ridiculous narrative that EA purchased the license because they wanted to avoid competition has always been incorrect.

Perhaps if Take-Two wasn't so entangled with buying the exclusive third-party rights to the MLBPA at the time, they would have had more flexibility in making a larger play for the NFL license.

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
Yes, but there is a big difference between the NFL offering it directly to one company and putting it up for auction to anyone wanting to acquire it.

This ridiculous narrative that EA purchased the license because they wanted to avoid competition has always been incorrect.

Perhaps if Take-Two wasn't so entangled with buying the exclusive third-party rights to the MLBPA at the time, they would have had more flexibility in making a larger play for the NFL license.
No I don't think theirs a difference the NFL/Madden offered exclusive rights,only a fool would turn it down.
EA isn't at fault here.

Nov 2, 2017

The auction story is basically a facade for what was going on. The NFL nominally opened a bidding process for the NFL license amongst Sony, 2K, EA, and Midway. But Sony's game seemed to be limping along on inertia more than anything, and Midway was just making Blitz games and had just skipped a year. So, really, we're talking about it being offered to two companies.

2005 was in many ways Peak Madden at least in terms of Madden as a brand. It was huge, and it being so big and dominant is exactly why 2K did the year of $20 titles, because their game was so much smaller that it didn't get anything resembling the attention. And this is important, because a genuine decision to offer an exclusive license that they'd sell to anyone would mean that any company other than EA winning would put an end to Madden. The amount of ill will that would be generated by the news that the NFL shut down Madden would have be something the NFL would have to contend with, and, frankly, I don't think there was any path towards them doing it.

I don't think the NFL ever really intended to just take the biggest pile of money on the table. I think the idea of an auction was a nice public face being put on the NFL asking EA what it'd be worth to them to put an end to their competition, and if the number wasn't what the NFL wanted to see, they'd drop the idea of going exclusive and stick with what they'd been doing.

And I would be surprised if anything with the exclusive MLB deal had been in motion at the time of the NFL thing. The stupidity of the MLB deal has always stuck out to me as 2K trying to lash out to respond and making a bad deal in the process. The weird "third-party exclusivity" thing was expensive and basically only targeted EA's MVP Baseball.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
I don't think that works in a creative production process like game development, especially (as jschreier has reported several times) the deliverables are constantly shifting because management can't settle on a cohesive vision or 'find the fun'.
That's what daily/weekly mandatory meetings are for (which you don't need to be physically available for in this day and age)...

Oct 28, 2017
A combination of designing your software for the lowest common denominator with no ambition to innovate + an absolute lack of ethical responsibility will get you that title.

Aiervon

Digital Strategist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Dallas
The auction story is basically a facade for what was going on. The NFL nominally opened a bidding process for the NFL license amongst Sony, 2K, EA, and Midway. But Sony's game seemed to be limping along on inertia more than anything, and Midway was just making Blitz games and had just skipped a year. So, really, we're talking about it being offered to two companies.

2005 was in many ways Peak Madden at least in terms of Madden as a brand. It was huge, and it being so big and dominant is exactly why 2K did the year of $20 titles, because their game was so much smaller that it didn't get anything resembling the attention. And this is important, because a genuine decision to offer an exclusive license that they'd sell to anyone would mean that any company other than EA winning would put an end to Madden. The amount of ill will that would be generated by the news that the NFL shut down Madden would have be something the NFL would have to contend with, and, frankly, I don't think there was any path towards them doing it.

I don't think the NFL ever really intended to just take the biggest pile of money on the table. I think the idea of an auction was a nice public face being put on the NFL asking EA what it'd be worth to them to put an end to their competition, and if the number wasn't what the NFL wanted to see, they'd drop the idea of going exclusive and stick with what they'd been doing.

And I would be surprised if anything with the exclusive MLB deal had been in motion at the time of the NFL thing. The stupidity of the MLB deal has always stuck out to me as 2K trying to lash out to respond and making a bad deal in the process. The weird "third-party exclusivity" thing was expensive and basically only targeted EA's MVP Baseball.

I recall SEGA being involved as well, weren't they?

The MLBPA deal was announced something like 35 days after the NFL deal. Maybe I'm just jaded by my job, but things like that normally take more than 35 days to agree to with all of the legal vetting and revisions on both sides. Meh, kind of irrelevant at this point though, right?

Nov 2, 2017
I recall SEGA being involved as well, weren't they?

The MLBPA deal was announced something like 35 days after the NFL deal. Maybe I'm just jaded by my job, but things like that normally take more than 35 days to agree to with all of the legal vetting and revisions on both sides. Meh, kind of irrelevant at this point though, right?

At the time of this going down, Sega owned Visual Concepts and Take Two was signed up as the publisher for the VC sports games, with T2 being in the process of buying Visual Concepts from Sega. So Sega probably wasn't in on it except perhaps as some sort of joint interest with T2. The only real other parties that'd made NFL licensed games in the previous few years before that were Microsoft, who had been making NFL Fever but cancelled the series a year earlier, and Acclaim, who had made NFL Quarterback Club but went bankrupt a few months before all this. If someone else was in on the bidding, it probably would have had to be some total outsider without an existing NFL licensed product.

The timeline between the NFL and MLB deals is a little longer than that, it's like 50 days or so(12/14/04 on the EA/NFL deal, 02/05/05 on the 2K/MLB deal). It'd be a short turnaround for sure, but I can't imagine MLB having any reason to seek an exclusive license deal, particularly that weird third-party exclusive, before any of the NFL exclusivity stuff happened.

Aiervon

Digital Strategist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Dallas
At the time of this going down, Sega owned Visual Concepts and Take Two was signed up as the publisher for the VC sports games, with T2 being in the process of buying Visual Concepts from Sega. So Sega probably wasn't in on it except perhaps as some sort of joint interest with T2. The only real other parties that'd made NFL licensed games in the previous few years before that were Microsoft, who had been making NFL Fever but cancelled the series a year earlier, and Acclaim, who had made NFL Quarterback Club but went bankrupt a few months before all this. If someone else was in on the bidding, it probably would have had to be some total outsider without an existing NFL licensed product.

The timeline between the NFL and MLB deals is a little longer than that, it's like 50 days or so(12/14/04 on the EA/NFL deal, 02/05/05 on the 2K/MLB deal). It'd be a short turnaround for sure, but I can't imagine MLB having any reason to seek an exclusive license deal, particularly that weird third-party exclusive, before any of the NFL exclusivity stuff happened.

This was the earliest article I could find: 1/25/05

I swear I heard a rumor Disney was part of the bidding process, but I can't find anything that mentions them, so I don't know if I'm crazy or if someone from EA had mentioned it to me over a decade ago when it was going down.

You're probably right though in that it was definitely all for show. Stand corrected :)