• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
No Skate 4 & gutting Black Box.

Fuck you forever, EA.
220px-NBA_Street_Vol._2_Coverart.png

NFL_Street.jpg

220px-SSX_box_art.jpg

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they're evil, and i'm sure the people that work for them aren't.

Their upper management decisions though from a consumers point of view are terrible, their buisness practices are pretty awful with all their microtransactions and money grabbing and they seem to have shut down more studios and had people lose jobs more than any other publisher that I can remember. I don't think they are a good company unless you're a shareholder but evil is a little strong XD

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't like how lazy they've been with Madden since getting the exclusive rights to the NFL. I don't play multiplayer, and and the single-player modes always get skimmed over in favor of Ultimate Team. I will say that NBA Live provides a lot more progression than 2k without having to feel like you need to buy microtransactions.

Since I avoid their multi-player games, I don't have a huge problem with EA since you'll never catch me buying microtransactions anyway

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
SEGA had their own sports games competing with EA's and they didn't like that.

SEGA's poor decisions during the last few years didn't help, but EA played a big role on it.
The fact that you genuinely believe this and believe they want the same for the Switch is literally baffling.

A series of poor business decisions on Sega's part as well as launch window, poor line up of titles and fierce competition killed the Dreamcast and segas console side. EA deciding to withhold Madden was an infinitesimal aspect of the Dreamcasts ultimate demise.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The fact that you genuinely believe this and believe they want the same for the Switch is literally baffling.

A series of poor business decisions on Sega's part as well as launch window, poor line up of titles and fierce competition killed the Dreamcast and segas console side. EA deciding to withhold Madden was an infinitesimal aspect of the Dreamcasts ultimate demise.
It wasn't me that talked about the Switch

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't like how lazy they've been with Madden since getting the exclusive rights to the NFL. I don't play multiplayer, and and the single-player modes always get skimmed over in favor of Ultimate Team. I will say that NBA Live provides a lot more progression than 2k without having to feel like you need to buy microtransactions.

Since I avoid their multi-player games, I don't have a huge problem with EA since you'll never catch me buying microtransactions anyway
They just need to find the right GaaS game to hook you.

Hook Habit Hobby

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Online passes came from EA then they took them away because MT was becoming a thing and they knew that was where all their focus could go.

Killed too many studios, God awful yearly iterations that change nothing, I remember reading in a magazine way back when, That they wanted MP into Mass Effect 2 but it was too deep into development. The last remaining good Mass Effect ironically, How about buying MT to upgrade you're plasma cutter with MT in that co-op action game Dead Space 3 of which my brother did, I still blame him today for the killing of Dead Space series.

You're perceived bad, Because you are bad....albeit in a multi-billion worth way

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
all that patting on the back about EA Originals and not one mention of Bioware or Visceral

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Gatcha games are free 2 play, they need a monetisation system to be profitable. EA sells full priced games with gatcha systems on them to squeeze more money from the costumers, and they even dare to call them "surprize mechanics".

They have killed any decent single player franshise they owned to chase the GAAS models trying to push the narrative that single player games are dead.

Fuck EA and they predatory schemes. They are not the only ones doing this crap though.

Exactly. They're not the only ones doing it. And if they weren't doing it, their shareholders would sack their leadership until they found someone who would do it. Because the shareholders are who they are beholden to. It's the same with franchises they've abandoned. They abandoned them because the potential profit did not offset the risk.

It's not 'whataboutery' here, but simply pointing out that EA is not exceptional in the market. And they're not even the worst.

It seems like EA get a huge amount of flak for basically doing what the market rewards.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
There was definitely a high profile rumor about that around when the Wii U launched, but there was never any confirmation. It could potentially explain some things if it is true, though.
It would be nice to get that confirmed one way or the other. It sounds like EA to hold that kind of grudge.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I'm not giving a pass to Bioware I said EA is "just as responsible," as they have owned Bioware for a very long time now. Too long to be clueless. We don't disagree do we? Or do you think EA is not to blame at all?
Oh yes, for sure. By all accounts it seems the autonomy BioWare was given became their own flaw since developing Andromeda especially. The whole "One BioWare" initiative seemed to have done colossal damage to the studio on the inside, with the toxicity between the studios being the reason why many left during the development of Mass Effect Andromeda, and it's incredible that could go on for years and years without EA doing anything about it, as the people who hold the money.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Will you take a fucking look at Dead Space and Mass Effect you fucking cunts?

Seriously EA ya'll are delusional af

Why would you want them to look at those IPs right now? They already ruined Dead Space by making it a multiplayer loot shooter with MTX and Mass Effect went off the rails too. Even Dragon Age 4 is supposedly being rebooted as a GAAS title. The problem with EA is that the executives want all their games to fit into their monetisation strategy, they don't give a shit about anything else. The brief period when they greenlit bold projects like Mirror's Edge and Dead Space is long gone, the people in charge now do not care about making quality software.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Exactly. They're not the only ones doing it. And if they weren't doing it, their shareholders would sack their leadership until they found someone who would do it. Because the shareholders are who they are beholden to. It's the same with franchises they've abandoned. They abandoned them because the potential profit did not offset the risk.

It's not 'whataboutery' here, but simply pointing out that EA is not exceptional in the market. And they're not even the worst.

It seems like EA get a huge amount of flak for basically doing what the market rewards.
This practices are wrong, and by law illegal in many contries. Thats why they came out with the "surprise mechanics" term for loot boxes as loot boxes have a negative conetation. Anyone doing this practices need to stop. Period. And gamers need to stop supporting these crappy companies untill they change their ways.
I dont give a fuck about the shareholders, im a consumer, if thers other publishers releasing games without ripping off consumers, im going to buy they games instead and these other companies have shareholders as well.

Take a look at what CDPR do with they games as an example of pro consumer and not anti-consumer. They offer a shitload of extras that others would release in a "special edition", offer free DLC and when they ask you money is for expansions that are bigger than most full priced single player games. Not to forget that they games are DRM free on PC as well.

You know how many EA games i bought this gen? 1, it was Fifa18 during the world cup and thats because it was super cheap and included the world cup mode for free. (witch was the only good move i saw them doing this entire generation)

EA could vanish to another dimension and i would not miss them. They turned Bioware one of the best western RPG makers in an embarassing developer.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Heres an easy way to get into my good graces.

Mass Effect Trilogy remastered
With gatcha mechanics and more microtransactions.

Back on topic, EA has always been in my shitlist since they bought Bullfrog and Westwood and killed them. All they know is to buy studios and their IPs and then suck the life out of those franchises before burying them. The supposed Generals 2 was filled with microtransactions. C&C 4 is a travesty that shouldn't exist.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Them killing Dead Space/Visceral is fucking criminal.

EA's dead to me til they right that wrong.

I don't give two fucks about annual sports games pumped out on an assembly line.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Stop killing the studios I love. Westwood and Maxis are gone and Bioware may as well be.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Isn't it pretty much a different studio using the Maxis name? Sim City is done, so they may as well be dead too.
No, there's people there that have been there decades and the Sims was always their most popular game which reaches a diverse audience that's really underserved in the market - just cus you aren't into the game, doesn't mean they are dead and not really sucessful.
Edit: Just looked up wikipedia - the original studio of Maxis was in Walnut Creek when bought by EA which was then moved to Redwood City which is still the Maxis studio today. It's not exactly clear when the Emeryville studio that was closed was first set up but it appears to be an offshoot?

Last edited:

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EA gaming's top poster boy of a corporation that revels in hyper capitalism.

Everything they do has a predatory slant to it.

Jun 25, 2019
I don't think any other publisher has a longer list of murdered studios under their belt, or murdered franchises (simcity, dead space, c&c, medal of honor, burnout, and now probably mass effect, list goes on and on....)
Add to that their position on favoring and defending anti-consumer practices.
The fact that they ask themselves why people see EA as the devil is indicative of how disconnected they are with consumers. Their indie program sounds good, but since this is EA I can't help but feel that this too will be changed to fit their corporate culture over time until it's only a shade of what it is now.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Too large, too traditional business focused. That's what happens. It's a corporate style company now with fiduciary goals coming first and foremost. I get that's just the way of large companies. But it goes at odds with the gaming community and to a broader degree good consumer practices.

And really it's not specifically EA to blame. It's corporate structure/identity/operating procedures of today's business world. The problem is EA asks "How do we do better?" And when people respond they go, "ok ok, but without changing the way our business operates". And therein lies the problem. A problem they're potentially no longer capable of addressing do to their size and structure.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Too large, too traditional business focused. That's what happens. It's a corporate style company now with fiduciary goals coming first and foremost. I get that's just the way of large companies. But it goes at odds with the gaming community and to a broader degree good consumer practices.

And really it's not specifically EA to blame. It's corporate structure/identity/operating procedures of today's business world. The problem is EA asks "How do we do better?" And when people respond they go, "ok ok, but without changing the way our business operates". And therein lies the problem. A problem they're potentially no longer capable of addressing do to their size and structure.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
fdzzdU9.gif

Really good post.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The NFL deal wasn't EA's doing, the NFL decided they wanted to make extra money (and simplify their licensing deals) by signing an exclusive multi-year contract with one publisher. They put the deal out for companies to bid on, if EA hadn't bid on it, someone else would have.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I remember a thread on GAF back in maybe 2014 or so, where Peter Moore said in an interview that he and several people at EA made a conscious attempt to figure out why the company had such a bad reputation by scouring gaming enthusiast sites like GAF, in an effort to rid themselves of the 'evil corporation' tag and be perceived in a more positive light. I'm pretty sure Mirror's Edge Catalyst was part of this initiative, and the main reason it was greenlit was to earn good will among gamers above all else.

But then Peter Moore left shortly after and MEC was a big ol' disappointment and it was business as usual after that.

Last edited:

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember a thread on GAF back in maybe 2014 or so, where Peter Moore said in an interview that he and several people at EA made a conscious attempt to figure out why the company had such a bad reputation by scouring gaming enthusiast sites like GAF, in an effort to rid themselves of the 'evil corporation' tag and perceived in a more positive light. I'm pretty sure Mirror's Edge Catalyst was part of this initiative, and the main reason it was greenlit was to earn good will among gamers above all else.

But then Peter Moore left shortly after and MEC was a big ol' disappointment and it was business as usual after that.
What's MEC?