• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017

Low res snow textures that barely vary between snow games with nothing remotely realistic about the interaction and not much snow... Snow was the big issue with Madden 18's graphics outside of the horrible looking ragdolls and I'm honestly a little surprised they haven't touched the horrible snow.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
didn't the madden champion win by not passing the ball the entire game

Jul 18, 2018
There is a separate version of Madden 21 just for next gen consoles right? Hoping the visuals are different there

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
how are the graphics for these sports games simultaneously uncannily realistic and so weirdly antiquated

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Do you buy it every year?

No? I do follow some Madden YouTubers who buy the game every year though (because obviously they would because it's their job...)

I'm waiting until they add in more franchise depth, more interesting drafting, and switch over to Frostbyte 4 before getting another.

Just surprised EA didn't address the snow once again.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Would still rather play 2K series. Fuck Madden for ruining the NFL genre for me.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't trying to be hostile, just generally buying an annual product means people aren't making EA work for that money and even more likely that EA can hide behind claims of incremental improvements so the majority of people will barely notice.

I men, incremental improvement would be doing stuff like fixing the snow.

Madden took a massive leap forward graphically with Madden 18 and then didn't improve a single aspect of the graphics for three straight years, it's weird.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Is the framerate stuttering youtube's fault or is that also just part of life with an uncontested license holder making all the decisions.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Footsteps, yes. Body impact, no. With zero over-the-game accumulation. It's like each footstep is an identical texture that they can recreate cheaply in terms of processing power--since the footsteps are just clear-deletion impact, not partial.

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
I remember in the older Madden's and NCAA where during snow games the field was pretty much literally painted into a white sheet.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
I actually think 19 looks better than 20, which is peculiar. Maybe something to do with trade offs for a new animation system?

ReturnOfThaMack88

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2020
It sucks having to buy a new one every year...i'd buy probably 2 each gen if it wasn't for the fact that the community dies when the new ones come out.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
how are the graphics for these sports games simultaneously uncannily realistic and so weirdly antiquated
I think a lot of it has to do with the camera angles they use that replicate real cameras really well, like replays in Gran Turismo.
That and all the motion capture work they do probably.

But stuff like the animation blending, model/effect quality, and stuff like that is where it starts to fall apart for me.

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly most sport games need to go into an every other year cycle. In the off year just release a roster update for 29.99 or something.

The fact there are still issues in Madden that stem from the PS2/Xbox days is mind blowing.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I think a lot of it has to do with the camera angles they use that replicate real cameras really well, like replays in Gran Turismo.
That and all the motion capture work they do probably.

But stuff like the animation blending, model/effect quality, and stuff like that is where it starts to fall apart for me.
ah that actually makes a lot of sense

the camerawork really does feel like a televised NFL game

Nov 1, 2017
Has EA done anything with the NHL games this year? I struggle to tell the difference between the releases this generation. I'm really hoping we at least see a leap for next year with the new consoles out...

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean. It's disappearing where the players stand. More active areas show more "melted" snow...that doesn't look too bad to me. Maybe add a bit of particle kick-up? But otherwise I'm not sure what else people could want?

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
I mean. It's disappearing where the players stand. More active areas show more "melted" snow...that doesn't look too bad to me. Maybe add a bit of particle kick-up? But otherwise I'm not sure what else people could want?

It's a very low res texture that almost never changes in each snow game and doesn't react to any player interaction other than footsteps.

Some games where there's a light amount of snow and other games where the players are running through a lot of snow would be cool... Just the snow texture being high res would be cool though.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to the world of exclusive licenses and no competition

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
The commentary is so bad. I just don't get how they are so lazy year after year with this franchise and people still eat it up.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

deftech

Oct 29, 2017
They'll only fix the snow if they can add it as a card for MUT. If the mode doesn't make money, they haven't touched it in years. Franchise has been the same garbage year over year for quite a while, etc.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
It's a little unclear what non-simulation actually means and whether 2K is allowed to do an arcadey American football game a la NBA Playgrounds or WWE Battlegrounds
arstechnica.com

The next “NFL2K” won’t be a simulation—here’s what that might mean

New title will end over 15 years of EA publishing the only "NFL" video games.

I hope they do super realistic graphics with "arcade" gameplay.

If that's an option.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't work with EA Sports and have no idea what they actually do, but my guess is they're aware, but it's just a lower priority item. Honestly, the rate at which they put out AAA titles is pretty mind-blowing.

But with such a finite amount of time to get the newest game out the door, fixing the snow is probably going to lose out against other things they could be doing.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I got my fill of madden for the year with the EA play trial.

I want to play simulation football but all EA cares about MUT.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they upgrade the visuals with the next gen releases. They are claiming that it is a big step right?

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
The last time I played Madden was freshman year of college in 2006 and I remember it looking pretty much like this.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
This year I'll play the trial and be done, it looks exactly the same as last year. NHL and NFL are my fav sports but these days EA is lazy and is so focused on MUT and Hut.... Sucks.

Nov 21, 2017
USA
Ok so I'm a huge NFL fan but haven't played a Madden since the PS2. But as a Ravens fan who has been thinking about buying Madden for years Lamar being on the cover may make this my year.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
The only reason Madden gets excused for being so incredibly mediocre and behind the curve in almost every way compared to other big franchises is because it's the only option for an NFL game. The physics, graphics, animations are all a generation behind.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
So many people ask us to adapt our VR football game into a full-on Madden style title . . . but then I see how much people (justifiably) rag on Madden and I'm like . . . uh.
tenor.gif