• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Then my google fu failed me. The numbers I pulled up were all less than five million.
You are right before ME3 and DAI. Both ME2 and ME1 combined sold less than ME3 and I think Dragon Age Origins was around 5 million if I remember correctly? All of BioWare's projects under EA have been profitable, but it's really only after ME3 they were going that high.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I would honestly be surprised if it hits that target. Personally the demo did nothing for me but I'm not really the target demographic for these games.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
How much did Destiny 2 sell? That's what I would expect from a similar game.

Feb 3, 2018
2sy0li.jpg

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
That you said it never felt like it was that a sucess? And it was also BioWare's most highly decourated game? And they already teased DA4? And in his next tweet he already mentions having a team on DA4 as soon as DAI shipped? Like what makes you think it wasn't 6 million + sucessful?

The only way I can see Inquisition being the most decourated game in Bioware history is in sheer number of awards, which was only possible because the year it was released was quite weak. If you compare with Mass Effect 2 for example it went against Read Dead Redemption and Super Mario Galaxy 2 among others. And that game was way better receveid than Inquisition.

Inquisition never felt a success to me because people don't seem to care about it. I see a lot about The Witcher 3, Skyrim... Inquisiton? Almost never. After its release Bioware was pretty quiet about a sequel and we even had rumors that it was being shot down or something like that. Now they did tease a sequel but it was the worst teaser I've ever seen. They didn't even mentioned the name of the game. If we compare to the aftermath of ME3, which reportedly sold less, we knew a sequel was coming 1 year after the game was made.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
5-6 million by end of March doesn't seem that doable to me unless there is lots of hype I'm not seeing (entirely possible, it might just be Era that is really cold on it). It will definitely do over 3 million in sales, but 5-6 might be stretching it by the end of March. Does PC Origin All Access count as a sale if someone is paying $15 a month for access to all their titles and happens to load up Anthem? I wouldn't be surprised if most of the PC players are playing via Origin Premier Access.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
That seems pretty doable. People don't realize that almost every single one of these types of games seems to do big numbers despite issues they may have at launch. Destiny, The Division, and so on. They'll likely hit that number.

Sure, but you're comparing a developer known for their single player narrative focused games to Bungie who had already established themselves as a console defining multiplayer developer, and Ubisoft who is a better managed company than EA is.

5 million is a huge number for a dev like Bioware. I'm not saying it isn't doable, but their expectations for the game seem to be an absolute best case scenario considering how competitive the market is.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
One of them was going to be me, but not anymore. I'll probably get it when it goes on special though.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sure, but you're comparing a developer known for their single player narrative focused games to Bungie who had already established themselves as a console defining multiplayer developer, and Ubisoft who is a better managed company than EA is.

5 million is a huge number for a dev like Bioware. I'm not saying it isn't doable, but their expectations for the game seem to be an absolute best case scenario considering how competitive the market is.
Sure but this game has been on top if not near the top of most anticipated lists for the past two years. I think you're really underestimating how many people jump on these types of games.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
A bit too optimistic, I'd say. Perhaps if mainstream audience was unaware of the public demo, they might be more inclined to buy it at release.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
The only way I can see Inquisition being the most decourated game in Bioware history is in sheer number of awards, which was only possible because the year it was released was quite weak. If you compare with Mass Effect 2 for example it went against Read Dead Redemption and Super Mario Galaxy 2 among others. And that game was way better receveid than Inquisition.

Inquisition never felt a success to me because people don't seem to care about it. I see a lot about The Witcher 3, Skyrim... Inquisiton? Almost never. After its release Bioware was pretty quiet about a sequel and we even had rumors that it was being shot down or something like that. Now they did tease a sequel but it was the worst teaser I've ever seen. They didn't even mentioned the name of the game. If we compare to the aftermath of ME3, which reportedly sold less, we knew a sequel was coming 1 year after the game was made.
You can not believe the devs if you want but that doesn't make it any less true that DAI is their most sucessful game. It just sounds that you like Mass Effect better so you think everyone is like you. And BioWare gets asked about DA4 all the time and alot of people were really excited about the teaser. I'm not sure what you want when the devs literally told you it was more sucessful?

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
You can not believe the devs if you want but that doesn't make it any less true that DAI is their most sucessful game. It just sounds that you like Mass Effect better so you think everyone is like you. And BioWare gets asked about DA4 all the time and alot of people were really excited about the teaser. I'm not sure what you want when the devs literally told you it was more sucessful?

I don't want anything, I'm only stating I never felt nor saw indications that Inquisiton was such a success.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this is hella optimistic after the Demo performance. They made it better but I bet it scared a lot of people off buying day one.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
April 2019:

-"Anthem missed our expectations, but still sold a healthy 3 million units in only two months"
-EA stock drops 12%
-Bioware folded into DICE

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
You are right before ME3 and DAI. Both ME2 and ME1 combined sold less than ME3 and I think Dragon Age Origins was around 5 million if I remember correctly? All of BioWare's projects under EA have been profitable, but it's really only after ME3 they were going that high.
Even though I wasn't nearly as accurate as I would like, the fact still remains that these companies should really stop setting expectations so goddamn high as a means of maximizing profit. The Battlefield 5 thread about it not meeting expectations at 7 million copies is another sign that this is well beyond ridiculous at this point. 7 million of anything sold at 50-60 bucks shouldn't be a "missed the mark" qualifier. That's just a sign of issues with corporate expectations, money management, wealth gaps, and so on as a whole.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
A few weeks from launch they should have a pretty good idea what pre-order numbers look like, so if they say today they expect it to hit 5 or 6 million by March then that number's going to be based on that data.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want anything, I'm only stating I never felt nor saw indications that Inquisiton was such a success.
There has been many indications that Inquisition was a success. Including Biowared Devs, statements from EA financial reports at the time. And most importantly EA and Bioware greenlitting the sequel that got announced a couple of months ago.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Even though I wasn't nearly as accurate as I would like, the fact still remains that these companies should really stop setting expectations so goddamn high as a means of maximizing profit. The Battlefield 5 thread about it not meeting expectations at 7 million copies is another sign that this is well beyond ridiculous at this point. 7 million of anything sold at 50-60 bucks shouldn't be a "missed the mark" qualifier. That's just a sign of issues with corporate expectations, money management, wealth gaps, and so on as a whole.
EA did have lower sales expectations originally but apparently preorders for Anthem were much higher than expected, especially digitally, that they raised them. Not sure what the original sales numbers expectation was though.

Adam802

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
Ah, another game that will "underpreform" by ea's standards/expectations. Then they will shut down BioWare bc of it and wonder why everyone says they're the bad guys.

mullfuchs

Jan 29, 2019
Still think it was a mistake not to use Good Charlotte's "The Anthem" on the title screen, but what do I know?

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
All my casual gaming friends are freakishly excited for it. Like, ardently defending it excited. Anecdotal, but whatever.

v1ta

Oct 28, 2017
I think they have a decent chance of hitting that. While the demo's reception was mixed, I'd argue it was more positive than negative.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean this seams like a fairly reasonable projection for a AAA high market multiplayer release.

Fucking Kingdom Hearts III will hit that sell through within it's first month on market, it's not hard to anticipate this doing so as well. It's a fairly conservative estimate given what I thought their numbers would be aligned for.

Dezzy8

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2018
I personally was bored to death from the demo but I think that this game will meet those expectations. If the word of mouth is good it will exceed them. This game is made for this day and age. Online coop loot grabbing shooters.

If it does fail then bye bye BioWare.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Wasn't big on the Anthem demo or DA:I, but I hope all goes well for the peeps up in Edmonton. It would be a sad day if this flopping caused the closure of BioWare.

knuckles

Oct 29, 2017
I'm thinking this is actually pretty conservative, based on both the casual bioware fans and fans of the social coop games ala ghost recon wildlands. The hardcore bioware / ea haters make a lot of noise but maybe their mum will buy them the game for xmas too. Idk.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Seems obtainable. Hopefully it hits targets so they can support it and make improvements, like the Destiny games. Then I'd be fine with picking up some sort of master edition in a year or two.