• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Hope this doesn't mean BF6 is way behind schedule.
I can't imagine it is, but I really wish that it was aiming for a Fall 2022/early 2023 release. It's absolutely imperative that they knock it out of the park to get the franchise back on track and I'd wait another year or two if it meant that the game ultimately launched in the most polished, content-rich state possible.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Will the last person who worked on Burnout please turn off the lights when exiting the building.
sunset-197480.jpg!d
For some reason this photo makes me want a Hainan Resort remake in BF6.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I hate how EA and Activision will take these great developers and relegate them to support.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Battlefield V came out in 2018. A release this year would make it a 3 year gap.

But you already knew this, didn't you?

I'm referencing Need for Speed. Criterion got shoved onto NFS, what was a great franchise, and EA wanted what was basically yearly releases. Criterion was eventually shifted away from racing games, most of the staff was shifted to Ghost Games, and now Ghost Games have been been stuck doing bi-yearly Need for Speed games, which doesn't really lead to the quality people want from NFS games. Then we had word that Criterion would be put back on NFS, though most of the racing game staff left a long time ago.

I don't know anything about Battlefield, I don't play them, I play NFS games, Criterion games and racing games.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
Hopefully with all the efforts, it will not be a semi-failure like BFV.

I really want a BF game to keep me addicted like BC2 and BF3/4 did

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I have no problems with this, specially because everything about BF6 sounds great and needs to be great.

NFS skipping another year is not a disaster.

Deleted member 90921

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2021
This makes a ton of sense to me. You already have a racing game coming so make sure Battlefield can hit a target set pre-pandemic.

The bit I'm worried about is the team fatigue. Are they running employees into the dirt or is it more in line with the fatigue that everyone is feeling and they're trying to avoid insane crunch by giving them what support they can?

Worst-case scenario would be team is fatigued by the pandemic but also are being ran into the dirt and the support is to keep the project from collapsing.
EA avoids crunch for the most part.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sooo what happened to 'ahead of schedule'? I think this one is probably coming in hot.

They are still saying that:

www.ea.com

A Bold Move For Battlefield

Our upcoming Battlefield game is coming together to be an exceptional game.

Our upcoming Battlefield™ game is coming together to be an exceptional game, not just for this year but also for the future of this powerful brand. The project is tracking towards the franchise's earliest Alpha, the gameplay is at an unprecedented scale, and we are taking full advantage of the technology in the next-gen consoles. The team has done an incredible job despite the challenges of working from home. We want to build on our position of strength, focus on the opportunity in front of us, and set our game makers up for success to deliver the best experience possible to our players this fall. So, we are making a bold move - Criterion is joining DICE and DICE L.A. to focus on Battlefield

We are close to the one-year mark since we all began working from home. We've accomplished a lot, have learned a lot, and these things are now informing our path forward. One of the key learnings over the past year is it does take more time to make games from home, and we have to balance that need with team health. The best way to set our teams up for success in this environment is to be focused and ensure our biggest projects have the resources they need to deliver for our players. We're making a bold move for our teams to fully capture the opportunity in front of us with Battlefield, while maintaining the same focus on health and wellbeing that we've had from day one. We know our teams want to deliver amazing games for our players, and we want to do everything we can in service of this.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this could be the first real showcase of next-gen consoles. I remember Battlefield 4 absolutely blowing me away on a PS4. With a lackluster CoD this year and potentially a lackluster WWII CoD this year, I think the stage is primed for Battlefield 6 to get people really excited.
Can someone fill me in to what happened with BF5?
I started falling off Battlefield with 3 and thought if that thing does not break the franchise nothing will, so this talk about V as a franchise killing title is new to me.

I think the studio was just overwhelmed. While CoD releases a major AAA shooter every year they also have a ton of studios working on it with an alternating schedule of primary developers.. Last gen it was just DICE (and support studios) making a AAA shooter each year with post-launch support. It just wasn't sustainable and successive games suffered. I think previous games also benefited from Battlefield Premium support which I'd love to see back even though its more of the older style of DLC.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
They've stressed that neither franchise is in trouble, but it's clear they're putting everything they've got into this next Battlefield to avoid the series dying* after Battlefield V.

*Edit: Rephrased to be a little clearer.
This. BF6 needs to be successful for the series to stay relevant.

Last three BF games (Hardline, 1 and V) have been disappointing multiplayer-wise compared to BF4, BF3 and BC2. Hell, I liked BF1943 more than 1 and V.

And hardcore mode needs to be BF4 level again! In BF1 hc you couldn't tell who is enemy and who is friendly.

Destruction physics back to BC2 level too. You should be able to level whole buildings.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Can I just get a NFS Underground1+2 remake/remaster. Would be great if Battlefield returns to glory, but also I really dig a lot of the older NFS games :(

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
DICE has always had issues delivering so I'm glad they're getting some help. Hopefully BF6 will be ambitious while not needing a BF4 era pile of patches at launch in order to be playable. BF1 and V were fun but patches and balancing had me moving on from them pretty quickly.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Honestly, with the amount of racing IPs they have, why not just make ONE GOOD NFS with Criterion, then have Dirt, Burnout, and whatever rotate out every few years. It'll keep things fresh and guarantees at least 1 solid entry from each franchise for the generation.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
The sad part about BFV is that it was actually pretty good. It was just borderline unmarketable to its target audience. The mainstream doesn't play Battlefield for the the balance or fair, tight gunplay. Metro 24/7 wouldn't exist if that were the case. People want splosions, chaos, and borderline broken weapons and vehicles, and DICE just needs to give it to them without completely breaking the game.

I'm willing to deal with the garbage if it means the sales can actually justify post release support. I'll just play HC only servers.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
mp1st.com

DICE LA Working on Battlefield 6 Live Services Component, EA Calls Game "Love Letter to Fans"

Battlefield 6 will be a live services title confirmed by EA, and DICE LA has been working on it for over a year! EA says BF6 is a "love letter to fans."

The mainstream doesn't play Battlefield for the the balance or fair, tight gunplay. Metro 24/7 wouldn't exist if that were the case. People want splosions, chaos, and borderline broken weapons and vehicles, and DICE just needs to give it to them without completely breaking the game.
The weapon and class balance in BFV is far from a step above other games, in-fact some of the negatives you just described apply directly to that game.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
The sad part about BFV is that it was actually pretty good. It was just borderline unmarketable to its target audience. The mainstream doesn't play Battlefield for the the balance or fair, tight gunplay. Metro 24/7 wouldn't exist if that were the case. People want splosions, chaos, and borderline broken weapons and vehicles, and DICE just needs to give it to them without completely breaking the game.

I'm willing to deal with the garbage if it means the sales can actually justify post release support. I'll just play HC only servers.

Gunplay is just one aspect of BF, yes. Sure, it was great in BF5, easily the best in the series, but the vehicle balance, general map design was some of the worst in BF history. Also the way DICE kept going back and forth with TTK was horrible. The game was a mess.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
hope it works out. i had a lot of fun with bfv, though it was a bit light on post release content. the pacific wasn't amazing. i'm still surprised by how many people were so upset about no normandy/"classic" ww2 maps..

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Can I just get a NFS Underground1+2 remake/remaster. Would be great if Battlefield returns to glory, but also I really dig a lot of the older NFS games :(

This is literally what I came this thread to say. Have Stellar remake the Underground games as a filter game this year. Win - win. Though I'm not sure how much "remaking" they can do in such short time. EA would not green light a racing game remaster from PS2 era. There has to be big visual improvements.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As a huge BF fan, (1942, DC mod for 1942, bad company 1 & 2,Bf 3 and Bf4)...I say LET'S GO... super hyped knowing it's boing back to modern root. I got Bf1 for free yet didn't play it at all and totally skipped bf 5.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I thought Criterion was focused on casual arcade racing games. I love that one old game, Burnout Paradise (x360 ver is what I played). That game was sick

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
So the strategy is releasing it at all cost at the planned date. The thing will be a mess.
Yeah for real, just like Cyberpunk 2077.
I'm really excited for a new Battlefield but this leads me to be cautious. Hope it turns out well and not too rushed out like DICE games always seem.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Literally anyone other than DICE Stockholm working on Battlefield is a blessing, so this is great news.

Criterion is probably helping with the BR and battle pass content.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
I miss the days where good Need for Speed games were a given, not the exception.

Heat was the best one in like six years, then it just.. died with almost zero DLC support and patches.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Need for Speed deserves so much better in all of this. It had middling entries for a good eight years (NFS: The Run - Payback, with the exception of 2015) and they finally nailed it with Heat. Then Ghost Games get closed down and a few key members merged with Criterion...

And now they're pulling double duty and helping out with Battlefield.

Why does it seem like EA just does not care for the Need for Speed franchise? It's constantly at the heart of the most boneheaded decisions from EA.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Oh come on let Criterion do Criterion things please. I want them to have a big comeback they've made some of my favourite racing games ever.

A lot of the long time staff responsible for Burnout 3 and whatnot aren't even with the company anymore. Sure they are still called Criterion but they are basically a shell of their former selves, similarly with what happened with Maxis.

Burnout creator did open a studio in Three Fields Entertainment however the games they create clearly shows what happens when you don't have the same level of support and financial backing of major publisher. Sure Dangerous Driving is nice and all, but it pales in comparison to work he did when he was at EA.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter at all that Criterion are moving in on BF6. It really doesn't matter at all.

EA could put every dev on it, they could make it 1200 players, perfect ping, amazing weapon balance, massive seamless maps, incredible destruction and action, fluid and responsive controls and photorealistic graphics that will justify this new generation and melt minds, but it doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter because XxXRage_ManXxX has his aimbot cranked to max, his wallhacks so powerful that can see your very I.P address and speedhacks that will embarrass Lockheed Martin, and EA will have their fingers up their nose doing nothing about it like they did with BF3, BF4 and BFV. We'll hear the same "We're doing something about it" only for the hacks and cheats to get worse.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It seems people have not internalized that the reason that EA and activision are doing this is gaming budgets are slowly getting out of control

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Whatever it takes to make a great BF game.
Criterion developed Starfighter Assault for Battlefront 2 and Firestorm for Battlefield V.
I think they are going to increase the quality of the end product considerably.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
BF6 please be good, COD being the only viable modern shooter is causing them to be lazy as fuck.

Oct 25, 2017
I really want a solid Battlefield 6 but I also want the franchise to significantly evolve.
Call of Duty is getting into Battlefield's territory so its time for them to grow beyond the reach of it.

I'd be fine going back to Battlefield premium/expansion packs,
dripfeed works for games like COD and Rainbow 6 but feels too small for Battlefield at least based on V

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if they will launch with something to compete with Warzone as well. Me and my friends need a new battle Royale.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Levels of doomposting about this move is pretty hilarious.

I hope DICE doesn't attempt live service stuff again and instead just return to 50 - 60 € battle pass system that guarantees support and content.

Hope the trailer is soon

Trend with BF reveals in the past has been April-ish for reveal, June-ish for "closed alpha", September-ish for "closed & open betas" and then release around November-ish.

I expect similar steps for this one. Sprinkled on top mandatory Jackfrags and other BF influencer videos of "What is BF6?!?!!" where they fake not having played and/or having all info about the game already.

The sad part about BFV is that it was actually pretty good. It was just borderline unmarketable to its target audience. The mainstream doesn't play Battlefield for the the balance or fair, tight gunplay.

... ummm... what BFV you got the play? One I played for 200 or so hours has very poorly balanced even if snappy gunplay.

Battlefield fans what Battlefield game that has some "rock / paper / scissors" elements. Not LMG's that can dominate SMGs, ARs and snipers with ease while bombers are godmodes with nuclear warheads. Balancing of that game is horrendous for Battlefield experience.

I got a lot hours from it because it was stupid fun FPS to play so for that it was worth it. BF6 just needs to be better Battlefield game.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
RIP Criterion. This is the beginning of the EA Cycle of being shifted around and then taken out to the shed.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
RIP Criterion. This is the beginning of the EA Cycle of being shifted around and then taken out to the shed.

If EA is fine with BioWare fumbling around and not having clear vision for what they are doing I'm sure Criterion will be fine after supporting development of Battlefield game, for 3rd time.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Why would you think that? Criterion has already been doing support. When BF6 is out they'll just get moved back to Need for Speed.

Now if their Need for Speed is a mess then they might get taken out back.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Levels of doomposting about this move is pretty hilarious.

I hope DICE doesn't attempt live service stuff again and instead just return to 50 - 60 € battle pass system that guarantees support and content.

Trend with BF reveals in the past has been April-ish for reveal, June-ish for "closed alpha", September-ish for "closed & open betas" and then release around November-ish.

I expect similar steps for this one. Sprinkled on top mandatory Jackfrags and other BF influencer videos of "What is BF6?!?!!" where they fake not having played and/or having all info about the game already.

... ummm... what BFV you got the play? One I played for 200 or so hours has very poorly balanced even if snappy gunplay.

Battlefield fans what Battlefield game that has some "rock / paper / scissors" elements. Not LMG's that can dominate SMGs, ARs and snipers with ease while bombers are godmodes with nuclear warheads. Balancing of that game is horrendous for Battlefield experience.

I got a lot hours from it because it was stupid fun FPS to play so for that it was worth it. BF6 just needs to be better Battlefield game.
What BFV doesn't have is engineers repairing their own transport helicopters, UCAVs, the USAS 12 with explosive frag rounds, eod bots that can shred a tank in seconds, OHK body shots on every bolt action sniper rifle, planes that can destroy a tank in a single strafe run, lock on tank shells, tanks repairing tanks from inside their own tanks, remote mortars, loot boxes, I mean, Battlepacks, etc. Every BF game is just chock full of exploitable bullshit. BFV is probably the most toned down game they've ever released. But it had less spectacle than BF1 and that's a fact. I don't even know if it sold half as well as that game.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
What BFV doesn't have is engineers repairing their own transport helicopters, UCAVs, the USAS 12 with explosive frag rounds, eod bots that can shred a tank in seconds, OHK body shots on every bolt action sniper rifle, planes that can destroy a tank in a single strafe run, lock on tank shells, tanks repairing tanks from inside their own tanks, remote mortars, loot boxes, I mean, Battlepacks, etc. Every BF game is just chock full of exploitable bullshit. BFV is probably the most toned down game they've ever released. But it had less spectacle than BF1 and that's a fact. I don't even know if it sold half as well as that game.

...okay?

BFV has shit ton of issues of its own and there is really no reason to try dismiss that. It may be more muted in audio visual bombardment of the player than e.g. 4 was, but fundamental issues community has with the V comes from poor gameplay and gameplay loop balance + design.