• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you EA for providing the authentic UFC experience. I could never get into the previous titles because of how unrealistic they were with the lack of pop up ads. You can only suspend your disbelief so much before you have to accept that something just feels off. Now I feel like I'm watching a genuine pay per view bout with this genius addition.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, I think you kind expect this in Sports Games. I understand the outrage in Battlefield as it comes off pretty tasteless to throw sponsors in a War themed game.
But, UFC is a sport littered with sponsors. I'm sure UFC probably has to approve this and get a cut from this practice and was probably a selling point in giving EA the UFC license.
Are the billboards in FIFA an issue too? When the PlayStation or Gazprom or Banco Santander billboards flip through playing a Champions League match (those are official sponsors), does that count as a commercial?

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Sorry, but trying to defend this is bullshit.

0WZa32.jpg

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Sorry, but with a company like EA, everything is a slippery slope. You give them an inch, and they're going to take several miles. There's just no defending that company when they try to sneak this stuff in. I just straight up disagree with anybody even being ambivalent about this if they're familiar with the industry. This isn't an Indie company making a mistake. This is a tactical decision from one of the greediest companies in the industry, and they're trying to establish a precedent. In 2020, it's "ah, that's not so bad". In 2025, it's a 30-second commercial.

So sure, I'll agree that saying bootlicking is over the line, but that's conditional on the person being ambivalent not being aware of what EA is and what they're capable of doing.

I wouldn't even say the slippery slope is just a company like EA. This whole industry constantly proves that if the slope even has a slight incline, they'll lube it up.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
We really need regulation, and it won't come from the ESA so government action is required
  1. Loot boxes
  2. Season passes
  3. DLCs
  4. In-game advertising
The industry won't regulate itself. It's about time for real change.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
We really need regulation, and it won't come from the ESA so government action is required
  1. Loot boxes
  2. Season passes
  3. DLCs
  4. In-game advertising
What we really need, and I doubt this will ever happen, is an end to exclusive licenses for shit like this. No matter what way you put it, with EA having licenses to names such as UFC, NFL and NHL they've effectively bought a monopoly on those sports leagues, and because those leagues are the dominant ones in their respective sports EA has effectively bought a monopoly on games for those sports. Just imagine how much better the world of sports video games might be the rights holders simply put a price on the license, and instead of the highest bidder winning anyone willing to pay that price could make an officially licensed game. Maybe instead of just getting an EA UFC game we'd also be getting 2K (not exactly saints either, I know) UFC games, so now EA and 2K are competing with each other and if one fucks up they have to worry about their playerbase moving to the other publisher's game. Or maybe Sony would also make a fully licensed NFL game just like they're making MLB games, so now EA has to worry about their players leaving for those games if they fuck up.
But yeah like I said, 99% chance that's never gonna happen.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
"Commercial" is lol-worthy. It's an ad. This is definitely a bit obnoxious but sports game devs have realized they can make their presentation more realistic and make money while doing it.

sirronoh

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan myself, but I think what's happening here, which happened a long time ago, is that games are now a platform. The platforms attract audiences that the publishers can mine for recurring revenue as well as sell to marketers for recurring ad revenue. From a business standpoint, it makes sense where we're going and how we got here. As a consumer, this isn't for me, and there are hundreds of other games I can play that don't do what's happening here.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
It would be really funny if we now get commercials next gen after we finally get rid of loading screens

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
It's almost more insulting that it only flashes for 1 second rather than being a full ad. Also doesnt help that it basically takes up the whole screen.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
That's not a full commercial, it's a sponsored segment transition. I honestly don't mind that, it's better than it saying something generic like "UFC" or "EA Sports" and more interesting than a blank transition.

Deathman

Oct 25, 2017
So wait this is bad but the monster energy stupid product placement all throughout Death Stranding is fine? Alright ERA, okay. If this was something that broke immersion then sure I wouldn't be a fan but considering the context of it being a sports game and it only being one second then I'm fine with it, there's far more things to be annoyed about when it comes to games.

Last edited:

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
So wait this is bad but the monster energy stupid product placement all throughout Death Stranding is fine? Alright ERA, okay. If this was something that broke immersion then sure I wouldn't be a fan but considering the context of it being a sports game and it only being one second then I'm fine with it, there's far more things to be annoyed about when it comes to games.

The only reason that games aren't completely chock-full of advertising is because people complain about it. If people didn't complain, they would add more.

So, complain as loud as you can as soon as they pull any of this garbage, and they will think twice about doing it again.

Or we could just not complain at all because we wouldn't want to upset anyone. I'm sure that EA would be so grateful about how courteous we are being that they would immediately stop putting ads in games as a thank you for being such polite customers.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
It's an EA game, what did you expect? Good ethics? Sports games are basically the testing grounds for how anti-consumer publishers can get.

It's only gonna get worse if people keep buying those games.

Deathman

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason that games aren't completely chock-full of advertising is because people complain about it. If people didn't complain, they would add more.

So, complain as loud as you can as soon as they pull any of this garbage, and they will think twice about doing it again.

Or we could just not complain at all because we wouldn't want to upset anyone. I'm sure that EA would be so grateful about how courteous we are being that they would immediately stop putting ads in games as a thank you for being such polite customers.
They already are chock full of advertising though, the amount of billboard ads and product placements in games is already insane and I see no one making a big deal about it until now.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
And for those saying "LOL paranoid slipper slopers deal with it whiners its no big deal!"

Ko2AYZJ.jpg

You know what happened with that? People complained about it and they decided to remove ads from the game.

So yes. Complain loudly.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I believe that's exactly the way the ad breaks look during an actual UFC event, even the PPVs where you spend $70 and are still advertised to. EA probably saw an opportunity to A) make the production closer to the real thing while also B) getting some ad revenue.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't the first EA game to do this. Their sports games have done ad placement in their games for years. I'm kind of surprised people are treating like this hasn't been done before. Whether you like it or not is one thing and certainly worthy of a discussion, but this isn't something being done for the first time.

Edit: Here's an example of it being done 12 years ago:

www.nbcnews.com

Ads for Obama campaign: ‘It's in the game’

Too busy playing video games to watch presidential ads on television? Barack Obama has found you, too, by becoming the first presidential candidate to buy ad space inside a game.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This honestly seems okay... its fitting to what UFC is, so it does not annoy

Games like Alan Wake - 10 years ago - played a Verizon advert on in-game TV. That is something I would get more annoyed at

And this...

maxresdefault.jpg

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I'm for games being regulated and having to state if they have ads or product placement.

That being said, in the context of a UFC game I don't really have an issue with this. That's how UFC events are.

Last edited:

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Stuff like this is honestly more "intrusive" than what EA have done, but I also think it works, as the whole idea of the game is scavenging for objects. Adverts are okay if they fit in well IMO>

latest

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
This seems about the same level as the advertisements in Death Stranding.

Lmao that's a good point. Out of curiosity did people not complain about that or actually defend it on here?

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
This is awful, but they probably changed their TOS so everyone agreed to it, when associating their account.

What I don't get however, is the weird meta discussion in this thread around what an advert actually is. These are products being touted inside an entirely unrelated product as if it you were watching some shitty american TV station.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking on this again, reviews wouldn't have even mentioned it had it been there when the game dropped.

1. Loot boxes
  2. Season passes
  3. DLCs
  4. In-game advertising

The idea that governments should take action on 2, 3, or 4 is actually absurd. Oh my god, people are selling add-ons for a product, heavens no

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao that's a good point. Out of curiosity did people not complain about that or actually defend it on here?
Kojima always does stuff like this but people suddenly care way more when it's a Western brand, like nerdy Metal Gear fans (like myself) didn't eat a bunch of Calorie Mates just because they were in MGS3. Fuck MGS4 had an in-game iPod WITH AN ACTUAL PODCAST BY RYAN PAYTON

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
I believe that's exactly the way the ad breaks look during an actual UFC event, even the PPVs where you spend $70 and are still advertised to. EA probably saw an opportunity to A) make the production closer to the real thing while also B) getting some ad revenue.

That's fine but why not put it in the review copies of the game and let people decide if they want to accept that or not.

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
Kojima always does stuff like this but people suddenly care way more when it's a Western brand, like nerdy Metal Gear fans (like myself) didn't eat a bunch of Calorie Mates just because they were in MGS3. Fuck MGS4 had an in-game iPod WITH AN ACTUAL PODCAST BY RYAN PAYTON

I mean the Monster energy thing with DS has to be one of the worst in gaming, by far. I remember seeing a few people defend it by saying that it's "in your face" to the point of being acceptable, and I'm just like "Yikes."

Not to mention the ads for Norman Reedus's show and for that one music streaming platform.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Just a question, do the FIFA games have adds going around the pitch like in real life? Do people call those advertising in games too and get angry?

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I mean the Monster energy thing with DS has to be one of the worst in gaming, by far. I remember seeing a few people defend it by saying that it's "in your face" to the point of being acceptable, and I'm just like "Yikes."

Not to mention the ads for Norman Reedus's show and for that one music streaming platform.
It's just funny, and if it means he gets a little more money to go off with, fine IMO.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
The title had me expecting like a f2p mobile game where you really have to watch a 15-30 second clip in the middle of the gameplay. It's just a second of it showing on a replay to look like a real broadcast that you can probably skip anyways.

EDIT: Now I think of it, 2k is worse at this, there's always a part of the halftime report that's unskippable, usually the intro and the outro that has an ad which takes about 5 seconds each.

Last edited:

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
As a fan of the UFC - but also playing Devils Advocate here - this is fairly authentic to what happens between all cuts and rounds of a fight.

I don't mind it so long as it's customary in the actual sport.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Just a question, do the FIFA games have adds going around the pitch like in real life? Do people call those advertising in games too and get angry?
haha nope not even when Playstation sponsors the Champions League and ends up with ads on other platforms

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I mean, I feel like this is just because 2k started it with their basketball game a year or so ago with full 30 second ads on loading screens for TV shows and what not and while there was some anger that week, afterwards no one gave a shit. Unfortunately, the majority of gamers don't give a shit

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
....I wonder if they are showing these commercials for The Boys you could force the ESRB to change the rating to M

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
Stuff like this is honestly more "intrusive" than what EA have done, but I also think it works, as the whole idea of the game is scavenging for objects. Adverts are okay if they fit in well IMO>

latest
Somewhat off topic, but is Pikmin the only game where Nintendo has added in-game advertisements?

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
If the game had paused and a "real commercial" played out then I can see the annoyance.
A quick flash of a title card is shitty to see, but it's also shitty to see in the real world as well.

THPS 1+2 is out, and it's got brands up the ass cause it fits within the game. Ad's during a UFC game is no different than showing ads during a real match.

As a graphic designer, I hate advertising.