• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I expected to see full 30 second commercials. This seems in line with the presentation of UFC when you watch it honestly

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a website specialized in reviewing games 6 months, or 1 year after release ? If not there'd definitely be a place for this. We could have some nice, and less nice surprises.

At least, the big websites ought to revisit their reviews after a while.

The current "review at launch and forget" system (at least on the websites I know) is now obsolete for a lot of games. Imagine being interested in No Man's Sky and reading reviews for it dating back from release. Or games like Ghost Recon Breakpoint, that bombed in reviews and were promptly forgotten, but were then massively improved and would review much more favorably today. Or something more niche like X4 Foundations, where most reviews were, basically, "too buggy for now, will probably be good later", except they never did go back to see how much the game has improved in less than a year. If you look for a review of X4 today, all you'll have are those "meh, too buggy for now" outdated opinions.

SpiderLink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
See, now you're just over-dramatizing it. Ads are part of sports, which is why it makes sense. Ask anyone who watches the super bowl, why they watch it. Some will say the game, some will say it's for the ads. It is how it is.

Now, if we were talking about Dragon Age, and we had those kinds of ads, I would agree with most of the people here that it's scummy, etc etc. But in sport games or racing, it just makes sense. No NFL game is an NFL game without geico.
Five years from now: "ads are just a part of video games, why does it matter?"
Ten years from now: "every sports game refuses to turn on unless you purchase a microtransaction, what's the big deal?"
Fifteen years from now: "putting your routing and account numbers into the game is routine, doesn't bother me"

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
So there's the big ass title card, the small title card on the bottom and the logo on the octagon.

Kind of overkill, I think if it were just the logo on the octagon this wouldn't feel so awful.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
In a vacuum, it isn't. But you have to think about the big picture, and I think that's why some people get frustrated and aggressive about it. EA has a long history of not super cool business practices and this is them dipping their toe into another one. If there's no pushback then they'll absolutely double down and push this as far as they can as sneakily as they can. Who knows how things will look in five years if there's no outcry? This isn't a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, no, but it's the start of something that could be bad and the start is when it's easiest to stop something.

Cosmically speaking, this doesn't matter in the least, no, but the reason some people get so angry about "boot-licking" is that on so many fronts, it is very much a fight between consumers or citizens who fight versus highly-paid professional marketing types, lawyers, politicians. It's their job to grind as much money out of people as they can, and the general public is unaware or unwilling to say anything to defend itself. Surely you can understand why the people who try to stop it can get a bit crabby =)
This is such a fantastically written post about this, well said. The "ads" alone, at face value may not deserve massive outcry, but what they represent should.

EDIT:
See, now you're just over-dramatizing it. Ads are part of sports, which is why it makes sense. Ask anyone who watches the super bowl, why they watch it. Some will say the game, some will say it's for the ads. It is how it is.
The Superbowl is a massive exception here. You honestly enjoy commercials in your sports?! One of the reasons I love soccer is the fact that they don't cut away from the game for boring commercials. Honestly, I've never once thought "commercials made this better" while watching sports.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It feels pretty scummy but in all honesty it's what happens in UFC it's how they always present their product.

Slippery slope though, I don't this to be the norm in games.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
The only acceptable amount of advertisements in a paid product is zero.

Absolutely fucking right. I can't stand most ads (the exceptions are the ones on really good podcasts, where hosts successfully turn commercials into content), but aside from cutting to replace all content with a shitty ad that plays at an increased volume, pop-ups are the worst of them.

Samsung pulled the same shit with my KS8000: no ads, then suddenly they use the online connectivity to insert an ad into the fucking smart TV app menu. I had to dig deep to find a DNS workaround that got rid of it, but I'm definitely not going to be buying another Samsung TV, it irritated me that much.

EA was always awful, but this is a step away from Kinect-McDonalds-jpeg.

Aug 10, 2019
I don't disagree with you in ads within the context of the game not being out of place. But the fact that they switch to a full screen of an add to take advantage of how immersed you are in the game world is a line that shouldn't be crossed. This is reminiscent of subliminal messaging in advertising. I feel like the ad is just long enough to not be categorized as subliminal messaging which is illegal by the way. This is very dangerous territory for the human mind.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Ten years from now: "every sports game refuses to turn on unless you purchase a microtransaction, what's the big deal?"
Fifteen years from now: "putting your routing and account numbers into the game is routine, doesn't bother me"
Five years from now: Why are subscriptions so popular, why are games now $70?
Ten Years from now: Why is everyone buying digital games, why are games $70 now
Fifteen years from now: Why are people streaming games?

In other words people will never be happy regardless of what's going on. If the ads impede your gameplay then it's a problem.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One second? Okay. Full on my ass.
(Not supporting the practice but this is overblown judging by the video in the OP)

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
I almost appreciate the extent to which they prod you with "The Boys", and it's also pasted on the Arena mat. Makes me imagine they didn't exactly get many offers.

Jun 22, 2018
I dislike in-game ads as much as the next guy , but what's lost in conversations like this is the fact that development cycles and production costs have greatly expanded over the last few generations, while game prices have been locked at $60 and typically bottom out much faster and much lower. Who doesn't remember paying $80 for SNES and N64 carts (different medium with different costs, I know). Modern games haven't even kept up with inflation, even at the new $69 benchmark. Developers, particularly of these huge games with large licensing and development costs, need to recoup their investment somehow.

I don't fault any developer, even EA, for doing what they think is necessary to create a financial sustainable product. Particularly when the alternative is jacking up game prices to be more in line with other offerings (hell, $60 is what you'd spend to take your family to the movies, or out to dinner, or play a round of golf or two; with a game, you're getting ownership of something that you'll likely spend 30+ hours enjoying). In the same way, I don't blame a consumer for exercising their right to not purchase a game if they're not happy with the product placements. I stopped buying Disney DVDs because of the unskippable previews before movies (actual commercials, unlike the quick splash shown here).

It's so cheesy and myopic to refer to other posters as "bootlickers" and shills because they're not outraged and disgusted by the same thing we've been seeing since Elliot left a trail of Reese's Pieces for E.T. Don't like it, don't buy it. Seems pretty simple.

Just curious, would people be less offended if games cost $70, or $80, or $100 with no ads whatsoever?

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Forward-thinking is a rare art, you're wasting your breath.
The companies do it because they know it'll work eventually.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think the randomly flashing ad is annoying as hell, as transitory as it is. Plastering ads all over the ring still feels a little scummy, but it doesn't bother me like the flashing ad that takes up the whole screen.

Jun 22, 2018
It's not insulin or cancer medication, it's an electronic toy. No one needs it for survival. If publishers overreach, the economy's invisible hand will do its job and consumers will reject the product and spend their discretionary income elsewhere, forcing a backtrack. Consumers share accountability as well.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This kind of thing always irks me, whether it's turning Black Ops 4 into a game that should've been free-to-play AFTER release, or this.

Glad I didn't buy UFC 4 at $59.99.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the brief flash as it cuts camera angles. But when it pops up above the timer, I feel it would be distracting while playing.

edit: but it is really shitty to be adding in stuff like this a few weeks at launch. It's very transparent they withheld it so it wouldn't be in reviews and early impressions

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
This is why user reviews are so hated. Players will warn you about bullshit publishers try pulling after release.

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
Wow.... That's totally nothing. It's not a full on commercial. It's a splash screen between replays. Impedes the game 0%. This is a mountain out of a mole hill imo

Oct 25, 2017
Hilarious that all the actual UFC fans are fine with it but yet everyone else is "outraged"! Lol. Don't like it don't buy it, for the rest of us who like UFC, it's not even a thing.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, having the ad as part of the replay transition is super-tacky.

Everything else? I don't see anything being done here that Football Manager hasn't already done for years, or the likes of Dirt Rally 2.0. Hell, remember the Obama election billboards in the original Burnout Paradise? I think people are claiming this is a new idea, when in reality it's far from new.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god did you know that there were Burger King and Doritos designed games last gen! A whole game as a commercial! The horror!!!!

Nov 27, 2017
California
I was expecting a commercial being played and the user not being able to skip it
It's a scummy thing to do but you all should know EA doesn't care, they want money and don't care what gets put in

Alex2DX

Nov 6, 2017
EDIT:

The Superbowl is a massive exception here. You honestly enjoy commercials in your sports?! One of the reasons I love soccer is the fact that they don't cut away from the game for boring commercials. Honestly, I've never once thought "commercials made this better" while watching sports.

I agree 100% ads suck, but ill take 3 or 4 commercials before I have my favorite teams jersey plastered with ads. Ive always been worried about that coming to the NHL.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Fortnite is doing it regularly and people are fine with it as long as they are wrapped around events...

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
So I imagine this is going to become a regular thing and like others have said, probably evolve into video ads, etc.

So $60 + $10 next year for a base games
pervasive gambling mechanics like loot boxes,
chopping a game up and selling it in parts as DLC where it'd once had been all sold together.
season passes
now in game advertising

The big publisher's greed is palpable. It's really sad that none of this ever translates to better working conditions and pay for their employees.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
It's presented exactly like in the UFC, so I have no problem with it.

I even liked it when some of these games, I think that was still at THQ times, changed the matt logos to new advertising logos, cause that at least gave some variety and let the arena look a little bit different here and then.

Edit:

Oh wow, it even is on the matt, well, sorry folks but I f'n love it.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm the way they did doesnt look that bad for me. Instead of the EA or UFC logo you see this.
Its still weird. But dont think it would affect me much if i played the game.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
This happens because consumers fucking allow it by still purchasing their product it pisses me off

It'll only get worse as long as people are dumb enough to buy horse armor and not care they're getting constantly blasted by advertisements. Corporations are greedy and will keep pushing until they reach push-back. Until then, they'll continue to do everything they can to make more money regardless of morals and in some cases legality.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
Make it F2P if you want to put ads in your games.

Imagine thinking "its just a two seconds ad"... it starts like that then in a year we will have full ads with a skip button when 5 seconds pass.

DOATag

Oct 25, 2017
Canada, eh?
I don't understand how this is an issue. Even if it was there at release I wouldn't have had an issue with it. It's a title card that flashes for what, 1-2 seconds?.

The NHL hockey games, the boards are full of ads (as they would be in real life), doesn't bother me there either

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This kind of quick "splash screen" ad fits perfectly within the realms of a sports title like UFC. I can see 2K adding in something like this in future WWE titles for PPV events. It's when this kinda shit drops into other types of games that I'd be concerned.

Edit: I remember an old PES game that updated the ad boards at the side of the pitch with patches, this is about as intrusive as that...