• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JSG87

Mar 13, 2018
Ayr, Scotland
www.nintendolife.com

EA Is Considering Bringing EA Play And "More Great Experiences" To Switch

"There are amazing games on that platform"

There are amazing games on that platform and we foresee bringing more games to the Switch over time, and I think if there are opportunities for us to bring our subscription there and bring an even larger portfolio to the Switch, we will do so.

We're always exploring this with our platform partners, whether that be Switch or Steam or Epic or Xbox or Sony. We want to be where the players are. So while I have nothing to announce here, I would anticipate that we'll continue to bring more games and more great experiences to Switch.

There is more, at the link.

To be honest, I'd be down for EA play, regardless of how people feel about EA anyway, if EA were willing to put a lot of content on there.

Edit -

Here is the original Article from Gamesindustry.

www.gamesindustry.biz

EA furthers its strategy for "frictionless," "democratized" gaming

It's been a big summer for all things EA Access -- or, as we should say now, EA Play.The rebranding, from EA Access and…

Last edited:

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Took them long enough, though I won't hold my breath.

Not like they have much output these days that I actually enjoy.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still baffled they haven't done some quick and dirty ports of sports games.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Imagining subscribing to a service with like 6 games, 3 of which are FIFA Legacy Edition.

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Imagining subscribing to a service with like 6 games, 3 of which are FIFA Legacy Edition.
My thoughts exactly. What's the point of subscribing if there's barely any games?

That being said, tomorrow's direct could be a good place to announce a lot of catalog game ports to beef up such a theoretical service.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't see why they couldn't reskin their current sports titles to be less realistic/ graphically intensive and put them on Switch. I know it's probably super complicated, but a 1:1 port with a different art style doesn't seem like an impossibility.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017

Haha yeh what a ridiculous statement. Not only about the subscription thing but also the fact they have said basically the same thing now every year since the Switch was released. "Its a great system" - "has great games" - "we're actively looking to see if our games are a suitable fit" blah blah blah.

Meaningless waffle we've heard like 3 or 4 times from him already

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
EA Play on the Switch makes no sense. Not enough games.

EA would have to build a decent catalog, offer actually good version of games (looking at you, FIFA Legacy Edition), and then they'll be able to think about this.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
"Unprecedented partnership" incoming.
Wanted to type the same thing, word for word.

I guess in terms of EA support on Nintendo platforms, one can already be glad if EA refrains from releasing a game trilogy as a single purchase on other platforms, while releasing an out-of-context last game of trilogy on the Nintendo platform simultanously at or above the price of the trilogy on other systems.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I'm not sure if it changed at all since I've looked at it, but EA Play only really seemed worth it on Xbox due to having their 360 games on there, versus current gen only on PlayStation. I really have to wonder what they could offer that would be worth it/would be cheaper than just buying Burnout outright.

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
If PGA Tour sells well on Switch, EA will look dumb for not putting out some low effort sports ports.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see some of their DOS/Windows 9x output on the Switch. Never happening though.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
That's not really what they said. It's just a non committal answer. They're not exactly going to come out and say "no, we're not ever going to put EA Play on Switch". They'd say the same for any platform.

And we already know they're putting more games on Switch, such as Apex Legends and the Hot Pursuit remaster.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
If I was an EA investor I'd be calling for the CEO to be sacked.

No Squadrons or Sims on Switch is a bigger calamity than Ganon; bring somebody in with business sense.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Shut up and port the Mass Effect trilogy. It's fucking free money.
tumblr_p16pu6n7vM1u1ljrzo1_540.gif

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Look, EA, i'm willing to believe you the moment you drop that Legacy crap from your Switch sports game ports.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It feels like EA puts out the same quote every 6 to 12 months. Actions speak louder than words and we know what became of FIFA on the Switch.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
That they won't even throw Maxis titles on the platform is baffling. Maxis was a consistent supporter all the way through the DS/Wii era and then nothing.

Actually it's not baffling at all.

For the first time ever, The Sims console edition is not a gimped down version of the PC one, it's the exact same game. And it got awful lot of DLC and updates. Porting the game Switch would be costlier than any other game with all those DLC content EA might not think it would be worthwhile. Paradox sure didn't when they released Cities Skylines but none of the DLC content.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
Switch launches 2017, doing well 2018, picking up steam 2019, breaking records 2020 ... EA' s NPD team "I've got an idea!"

images

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
I have to think if they were bringing EA Play to the switch they would have to bring more games. It'd be expected that all the previous years sports franchises were on there for starters

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Maybe they are planning to do it via streaming? I know that's what they were working on with project Atlas, and even after bringing EA play to steam, they talked about bringing it to more platforms in the works, and outside Switch how many are left unless you go smartphone platforms with streaming. And as they don't have many Switch ports , streaming would allow them to get a lot more games on Switch with a lot less compromises then normal porting

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
I'm not sure how they would do this unless the service was deeply cut or run through the cloud. Almost literally, none of the games on the service are on the Switch so unless they run through the cloud or have a completely separate service, I don't see how it's even possible.

Oct 28, 2017
The only EA games on the Switch that I can think of are the 3 Fifa games, Unravel 2 and Burnout Paradise. Can't see myself paying a sub for just these.

As for the "bringing more games to the Switch" part, hopefully this means we'll get a Mass Effect trilogy port.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if capcom bringing a AAA game(s) to switch that will be certified hits will have a ripple effect to any extent.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Imagine shareholders seeing all the sales numbers coming from switch and asking why EA is out...

And it doesn't matter if financially the company is doing good because there's always more money to be made