• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It removes the barrier of an expensive hardware purchase but adds the far more limiting barrier of needing high-speed low-latency network access. I don't think claims like these are realistic, at least not for a few decades.

high speed low latency internet access has all kinds of uses other than gaming, while a gaming console has one use. also internet infrastructure is constantly improving.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I am somewhat bullish on cloud gaming to bring in many more gamers to bigger experiences than mobile, but this sounds like Microsoft winning the console war by selling to a small percentage of China.

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so you are telling me that adding another billion players somehow makes hardware cheaper in the cloud? These companies are full of shit. Each server blade, if dedicated to an individual player (not literally but in terms of virtualization load), will become exponentially more expensive to upgrade and maintain if said customer is not contributing directly to the cost of said cloud hardware; seems like a miracle solution like perpetual energy or some shit like that.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I thought this sounded familiar:

(Start at 21:01)

Is it any coincidence Peter Moore has been involved in both? I think not. *tin foil hat*

Oct 27, 2017
So how does that work and make any sort of financial sense? Every game running has a whole pool of servers running to calculate destruction for it, on top of the servers that render for each individual player? Multiply that by the number of peak players, and I simply can't imagine they would ever be able to justify the costs of having so many expensive servers just for something so trivial.
Exactly this. This whole thing is bullshit. It makes no sense whatsoever. It literally has the business model of Moviepass (relative to hardware investment).

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I can see it. There are probably a lot of people who want to play Fifa, Madden, etc., who don't want to spend hundreds on a console, even if they can afford it. More people than ever are listening to music and watching movies because you don't have to buy dedicated hardware anymore.

Yep, this is really a no brainer honestly. I don't know about a billion, but I can definitely see this coming.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I mean 5% of 2.2 billion is 110 million. That's napkin math. It's not remotely close to the 1 billion new players that the EA rep is predicting.

Notice how he's talking for the next 5 to 10 years. I really think is unreasonable to make this discussion about he saying that on day one 1 billion gamers will start buying consoles games. Stadia is already out but it's not supported to access the service on most smartphones.

"How cloud gaming evolves is uncertain right now, but it's going to bring in another billion players into the gaming world."

"I truly believe that these forces -- cloud and AI -- will change just about everything in games. It's going to be a five or ten year journey for us, but I say that confidently."

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday morning I observed the starlink constellation for the first time and pretty much just stared at it until dawn broke.

I'm going to guess that internet connectivity is not going to be roadblock to this sort of thing in the very near future.

Also 1 Billion may actually be a low ball estimate.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
I dont know how many top companies have to say it for ERA to start to believe.

The fact that one tried to early and failed (MS at the beggining of the gen) doesn't mean this is unrealistic or not achiveable, it means its too early.

Amazed at the amount of naysayers in an enthusiast community, I guess people are reluctant to change.

This. The handwaving in this thread is hilarious. They just don't understand that they're not the target. It's the people that don't already own dedicated gaming hardware that will get use out of cloud gaming.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Show us the actual business case where the cost of all that compute power is covered by the income of the game.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Notice how he's talking for the next 5 to 10 years. I really think is unreasonable to make this discussion about he saying that on day one 1 billion gamers will start buying consoles games. Stadia is already out but it's not supported to access the service on most smartphones.

"How cloud gaming evolves is uncertain right now, but it's going to bring in another billion players into the gaming world."

"I truly believe that these forces -- cloud and AI -- will change just about everything in games. It's going to be a five or ten year journey for us, but I say that confidently."

No one is making the argument there will be 1 billion players on day 1. That's a straw-man argument. I am just doubtful that in 10 years there will be 1 billion new gamers thanks to advancements in cloud/AI tech. That's all. I think that streaming games just has a unique set of factors that people have to account for when it comes to the infrastructure, upkeep/maintenance, and the business model built to support those things. Just my opinion.

Deleted member 57361

Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Sometimes I feel that this execs are expecting that our mothers will start to play Halo and God of War on their phones. AAA gaming is niche if you compare with mobile.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If I think of where Internet was 10 years ago, I can totally see billions of people between mobile and PC having access to low latency and cheap connections that allow for very good game streaming in another 10 years.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
If I think of where Internet was 10 years ago, I can totally see billions of people between mobile and PC having access to low latency and cheap connections that allow for very good game streaming in another 10 years.

I mean Starlink will launch next year for Canada and the US. That right there is a massive jump in accessibility to low latency internet.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
A billion people are waiting for more realistic physics to jump into gaming? Oookay.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
The biggest barrier for these people to play modern AAA games isn't the box. It's controlling a character in 3D space using a controller or kbm.

Great point. Gamers have trained themselves to understand game worlds & their mechanics. Casual gamers aren't going to suddenly start playing AAA games simply because they are more accessible (which isn't even guaranteed through cloud computing). Playing a game isn't the same as watching a movie.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
No one is making the argument there will be 1 billion players on day 1. That's a straw-man argument. I am just doubtful that in 10 years there will be 1 billion new gamers thanks to advancements in cloud/AI tech. That's all. I think that streaming games just has a unique set of factors that people have to account for when it comes to the infrastructure, upkeep/maintenance, and the business model built to support those things. Just my opinion.

If not 10 years, what time frame you have in mind? Not sure if he means 1 billion out of the 2.2 billion smartphone gamers will start to buy console games over the next 10 years or he's talking about increasing the amount of gamers from 2.2 to 3.2 billion gamers. But honestly either way I do see it as possible. Just look at starlink and how this type of service will bring high quality internet to everyone around the world. There are millions of people out there with no access to internet as things stand now.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Only Cloud gaming that im interessted in is the datamined one from Valve (Steam).

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
There's over 2 billion gamers on mobile alone, a market where EA is very present. The Sims, Need For Speed, FIFA, alongside mobile-exclusive franchises. That's a pool EA can pick from for sure.

There's a difference between people who play games on their phone, a device a majority of people have on them at all times, and people who are willing to go through the trouble to set up some form of cloud gaming service. Sure you can potentially get it to work properly on your phone but there are a hell of a lot more steps than click download and push play and a simple game shows up.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
giphy.gif

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
If not 10 years, what time frame you have in mind? Not sure if he means 1 billion out of the 2.2 billion smartphone gamers will start to buy console games over the next 10 years or he's talking about increasing the amount of gamers from 2.2 to 3.2 billion gamers. But honestly either way I do see it as possible. Just look at starlink and how this type of service will bring high quality internet to everyone around the world. There are millions of people out there with no access to internet as things stand now.

It sounds like he's saying 2.2 billion to 3.2 billion based on his statements of "another billion." I would also posit that a service like Starlink will likely expand the # of people who have access to games, but there's no guarantee cloud game streaming will have a similar impact. I don't have any estimated time frame from 2.2 to 3.2 billion players because I have no idea what level of market penetration the industry is capable of. To me it's an "if" not a "when"

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Count me as incredibly pessimistic about cloud gaming. It just reeks of another cynical attempt to take more ownership away from people, in my opinion.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A billion you say? Read the article. He really does say its gonna bring in another billion. Well, good luck.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
ISPs are licking that lips at that.

That would be a loooooot of monthly bandwidth caps that are about to go over.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Feel like there is some wierd disconnect with the gaming corporates where they think the only reason why the greater public isn't buying the big games because they don't want a console/can't play them on their phones.

Realistically it feels like they want short, easy to digest time wasting for commutes and lunch breaks rather than heavily involved AAA gaming on the go. I don't think Cloud gaming is going to be bringing me old dad or my girlfriend into the mix just because they don't need specifc hardware to play. It's a culture they've not been brought into and don't have an inclination for.

Like believing bringing subtitled foreign movies to streaming will break the barrier for people who don't like watching subtitled foreign movies. Access wasn't the problem but the customers mindset and to counter that would be to gather interest somehow rather than just making it readily available to them.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
They're not wrong.

It's just a question of time. 10 years? 20 years?

But it's inevitable.

Feel like there is some wierd disconnect with the gaming corporates where they think the only reason why the greater public isn't buying the big games because they don't want a console/can't play them on their phones.

Realistically it feels like they want short, easy to digest time wasting for commutes and lunch breaks rather than heavily involved AAA gaming on the go. I don't think Cloud gaming is going to be bringing me old dad or my girlfriend into the mix just because they don't need specifc hardware to play. It's a culture they've not been brought into and don't have an inclination for.

Like believing bringing subtitled foreign movies to streaming will break the barrier for people who don't like watching subtitled foreign movies. Access wasn't the problem but the customers mindset and to counter that would be to gather interest somehow rather than just making it readily available to them.

They mean people in places like South Africa who are currently living on $6,000/year. They can't afford a console and never will be able to.

The next billion people isn't your boomer father.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
They mean people in places like South Africa who are currently living on $6,000/year. They can't afford a console and never will be able to.

Back home in Macedonia, people live with less pay. But unlimited 16 Mbps internet is 10 EUR per month, now. Nobody has money to buy a new PC or a new console. But everyone can pay the Internet cost for a month. Add in some small stuff on top of that, like a 10 EUR Game Pass sub where xCloud comes in for free, and you get some users in.

Not saying it will happen now. 10 years ago, very few people had smartphones and internet on their phones. Nowadays, everyone has that. A lot has changed in 10 years. A lot will change in 10 years. :)

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
They're not wrong.

It's just a question of time. 10 years? 20 years?

But it's inevitable.

The next billion people isn't your boomer father.
Back home in Macedonia, people live with less pay. But unlimited 16 Mbps internet is 10 EUR per month, now. Nobody has money to buy a new PC or a new console. But everyone can pay the Internet cost for a month. Add in some small stuff on top of that, like a 10 EUR Game Pass sub where xCloud comes in for free, and you get some users in.

Not saying it will happen now. 10 years ago, very few people had smartphones and internet on their phones. Nowadays, everyone has that. A lot has changed in 10 years. A lot will change in 10 years. :)
Get outta here with your totally reasonable takes. The only market for this stuff is top tier economies who already have console saturation and whose Internet will never be reliable or go beyond 4g.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Why stop at 1 billion? That's being small player. It'll bring one trillion players! The power of the cloud!

lol at those insane statements smh

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Get outta here with your totally reasonable takes. The only market for this stuff is top tier economies who already have console saturation and whose Internet will never be reliable or go beyond 4g.

Even on an open minded forum like this, people only think about themselves and people like them.

There are 7 billion people on the planet. About 1.5% of them have a PS4. Maybe 10% of them at most could afford a PS4 if they really wanted one. That leaves another 90-98% of the planet.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I remember EA saying things like this as the Xbox One launched, then when it all went south they were outta there

giphy.gif
Wow, that gif is incredible.

Even mobile games top out at 100 million(s) when the games are hot and the major majority has smart phones now and access to them. Just because people can access streaming easy doesn't mean it's a garunteed success.