• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Via Twinfinite:
Today, during Electronic Arts' quarterly conference call for investors and analysts, chief executive officer Andrew Wilson talked about BioWare.
"On BioWare, that is an incredible studio filled with incredible people who do incredible work. I think that from the outside world, there have been some blips in their delivery in the last couple of years, but that's the result of them pushing deeply into innovation and creativity, and we feel "very, very confident" about their future roadmap. We talked about games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect in their future.

With respect to Casey and Mark leaving, again, both good friends of mine, we have tremendous respect for both of them, but this happens in the natural course of creative organizations from time to time, and we feel very very very good about the ongoing leadership of that studio and the main people who come to work every day to deliver more innovation and creativity.

We'll have more to share about what's coming from BioWare in the near future. "
Lock if old.

If DA4 is indeed on track to meet its schedule release, I wonder if we'll finally see some actual gameplay from it this year. Ever since Casey and Mark left, I've been a bit worried that it might've been over creative disagreements and that might lead to delays in DA4's development, but according to Andrew Wilson everything is going according to schedule.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Alright EA you've earned me trust over the last decade or so so I'm sure you're not lyin' to me or nothin'. I'll take your word for it.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Very, very, VERY good? Or just very, very, very good? Also can you separate your hands to show a distance of how good it will be?

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
in the last 5 years, they've released ME andromeda and anthem. what has changed in the studio since then?

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
did they just give up an anthem ?

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I don't know if this is the Trump version of "very very" or the Commandant LAssard "very, very, VERY"...

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I think that from the outside world, there have been some blips in their delivery in the last couple of years, but that's the result of them pushing deeply into innovation and creativity
I daresay those blips are not the result of Bioware's innovation and creativity.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I always regret never getting into Dragon Age but to be honest I dunno if I could handle the pain of getting let down by ME 4 AND DA 4... Hoping we get a nice comeback story though. Legendary collection will remind people why they love BioWare, now they just gotta follow through

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
What else is he going to say? I still love Bioware and think there is a lot of talent still there and I am waiting to see how the Mass Effect remaster and Dragon Age 4 turn out before I bury them...

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Not like they're gonna say "We have zero faith in any of our teams, sell your shares!"

But sure, it'd be nice to see something solid from Bioware again.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
I mean like, what ever. But it doesn't sound like EA has given up hope on Bioware like doomposters continually say they will. And I'm sure posters here will be falling over each other to post "Papa EA" memes or "Bioware is Deaaaaaaad", but it's all just noise.

If anything, the Mass Effect remaster is going to be a test of Bioware being able to at least deliver an easy layup. I think it will be telling to their future developments.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
They overdid it with the "very." Makes me think their boardroom looks more like

source.gif

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
For all the talk about how EA is just waiting for an opportunity to shutter Bioware, they've had two flops in a row and EA punished them a year ago with... Expensive new offices. EA clearly has faith in them for now.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
"We trust in our studios" the EA exec insisted, resting his boot gently on Bioware's tender neck. "When you've got good people, you don't worry".

He pinned the threatening note to Bioware's chest, promising he'd be back if Mass Effect 5 was shit

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I daresay those blips are not the result of Bioware's innovation and creativity.

In corporate speak, "innovation and creativity" are euphemisms for not just churning out templated sequels, so "innovating" internally comes with big risks that sometimes don't pay off. Moving to entirely new game types is extremely risky, especially at this budget level.

Anthem was definitely something very new for the studio, even if it wasn't particularly new for the industry at the time (though, going by Schreier's article, it seems they were forbidden from looking at Destiny as a template anyway, so they were sort of forced into an internal type of "creativity").

Honestly, that corporate speak from Wilson fills me with the tiniest thimble of hope for Dragon Age 4. I've long said that Bioware should just focus down on a tried and true DA, go with what they know (character focused, team based combat, streamlined environments) and do something safe, but high quality.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hope to see amazing projects from BioWare, but after Mass Effect: Andromeda and Anthem and then Casey Hudson and Mark Darrah's exit, I'm very very very skeptical about it.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I think that from the outside world, there have been some blips in their delivery in the last couple of years, but that's the result of them pushing deeply into innovation and creativity
🤣

I hope to see amazing projects from BioWare, but after Mass Effect: Andromeda and Anthem and then Casey Hudson and Mark Darrah's exit, I'm very very very skeptical about it.

Same. How do you expect them to release anything remotely similar (or better) to their previous works when most of the key directors and writers have left? And what the hell was going on that caused Hudson to leave for the second time, and during a project?

Absolutely no reason to doubt them.

Absolutely no reason to believe them either until they release their current projects years from now. Ever since they started shifting away from what they were good at, and instead started chasing trends, their output has been middling, to questionable.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
So much very.

I'm super excited for the ME remasters. I'm still interested in what anthem becomes. I enjoyed parts of it a lot and can see a fun game inside it.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
In corporate speak, "innovation and creativity" are euphemisms for not just churning out templated sequels, so "innovating" internally comes with big risks that sometimes don't pay off. Moving to entirely new game types is extremely risky, especially at this budget level.

Anthem was definitely something very new for the studio, even if it wasn't particularly new for the industry at the time (though, going by Schreier's article, it seems they were forbidden from looking at Destiny as a template anyway, so they were sort of forced into an internal type of "creativity").

Honestly, that corporate speak from Wilson fills me with the tiniest thimble of hope for Dragon Age 4. I've long said that Bioware should just focus down on a tried and true DA, go with what they know (character focused, team based combat, streamlined environments) and do something safe, but high quality.
I agree with your interpretation but taken another way, it sounds like a tacit admission that Bioware failed because they stepped out of their wheelhouse, and now the remedy is... more Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

And pretend Andromeda never happened.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
They're uh... kinda laying it on super a little thick there which is never something that inspires trust, not to mention the insane amounts of (expected but bleh) corporate speak BS.
But fuck it, I love classic BioWare, so I'll believe because jeezus do I want a return to consitently good AAA WRPGs.

Last edited:

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Not shown: Andrew Wilson literally pulling his hair out by the root as he says these words.

Man I don't believe that for a second.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with your interpretation but taken another way, it sounds like a tacit admission that Bioware failed because they stepped out of their wheelhouse, and now the remedy is... more Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

And pretend Andromeda never happened.

Considering literally no one else has been able to reproduce what they were doing in their prime years, that's not such a bad thing. It's not like the market is saturated with quality Bioware-like games. I can't think of any "Bioware fan" that actually asked for their games to be just like every other one out there either.