• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
A draft version of this year's E3 event website has been discovered online - and quickly made private.

Load up the site now and you're greeted with a "Site Locked" message and a request for a username and password. But, prior to this, Eurogamer was able to view the site in its entirety.

There's no suggestion that confidential information was contained on the draft website - though an early and incomplete list of companies due to attend the show was visible.

But it is another embarrassing snafu for the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) - E3's organiser - following other leaks in the past.

While there appears to be no confidential information in that page, it's embarrassing that the ESA still have accidents like this happen after last year major fuck up.

Oct 25, 2017
The ESA is run by a bunch of baboons shouting at each other using tin cans and string. I can't believe this is an organization run by actual people. It's like they're doing it as a bit at this point.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Someone should tell the ESA that leaking =/= protecting, maybe they never looked in a vocabulary!

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
They spent as much time with improving their security as they did apologizing to journalists that got their data exposed.

Shit's practically writing itself at this point lol

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I believe this is the same exact way they leaked the listing of personal info for attendees? If so, lesson not so learned in using a rather simple web address to share info.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
Lol utter morons

I have a feeling people's information will be leaked again because it looks like they haven't learnt anything

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
When I was a web admin this was my worst nightmare lol. It's a stupid mistake to make, but if you forget to set your site as private you can break embargos and stuff.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Wasn't there also a paragraph that said they have partnered up with a cybersecurity company for this years E3? Not a good look

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
That certainly doesn't inspire confidence.

To any and all members of the games press and/or industry: If you all want to skip E3, I won't blame you.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, really? I mean, I don't remember seeing one but just assumed they would have done so

"ESA was made aware of a website vulnerability that led to the contact list of registered journalists attending E3 being made public. Once notified, we immediately took steps to protect that data and shut down the site, which is no longer available. We regret this this occurrence and have put measures in place to ensure it will not occur again."

Just a nice regret. Cool. Awesome.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I hope someone comes along and makes a better E3 than what the ESA has done with it.
Looking at you Geoff!

Feb 5, 2018
Okay XSEED, since NISA is probably going to be busy with Cold Steel 4 and YS IX, ya'll better be doing those Crossbell games for us k?

/s

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
If there's one thing to take from this

CAPCOM IS THERE AND BACK

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, what a bunch of incompetent fucks.

-Sony skips E3 2019 and announces they aren't returning in 2020
-ESA proceeds to leak thousands of people's personal information while never apologizing
-Document gets leaked about the ESA wanting to turn E3 into a massive influencer shitshow
-Geoff Keighley announces he isn't going to E3 for the first time ever citing he's heard bad things about the direction of the show
-Queue later today, and the stupidity of the ESA continues with them leaking their own damn website.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
If you put in "12345" as the password you actually get the social security numbers of every presenter and journalist.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
They also said this their E3 2020 preview which is kinda funny given the leak of their new site today:

You should also know that we've upgraded our media registration process, which received a lot of attention this past summer. Earning back your trust and support is our top priority.

That's why we rebuilt the E3 website with enhanced and layered security measures developed by an outside cybersecurity firm. This included updating our data management processes, including the handling of personally identifiable information, and we will no longer store that data on our site. We have also changed our registration practices and will collect the minimum information necessary to complete your registration.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Hackerman Noises: "I'm In"

E3 is on it's way to the glue-factory at this point.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
For god's sake someone put the little guy out of his misery, this is just sad

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I dislike the ESA as much as the next guy, but trying to frame hacking some placeholder site for E3 that doesn't really have any information as a big scandal feels like a stretch.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
The very premise of E3 is outdated now, publishers have more cost-effective and personalised means to announce content.
The only reason why I think it's still around at this point is to play demo's and listen to face-to-face interviews with developers.

If there's one thing to take from this

CAPCOM IS THERE AND BACK

This "Hail corporate!" shtick is getting tiresome now.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I hope someone comes along and makes a better E3 than what the ESA has done with it.
Looking at you Geoff!

That's Gamescom imo. It is already the biggest gaming event in the world and since you mention Geoff, he started producing and hosting the big opening shows for it. It's apparently already confirmed he'll do the opening show of Gamescom 2020 again.