• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I have absolutely no problem with E3 as a thing disappearing completely or slowly going away es y year, big, middle and little companies/publishers/studios, have adopted the Direct format and have learned to get better at it and use it well, I rather have different studios/publishers doing their presentations throughout the year that just putting heavy emphasis on a specific week a year.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
Don't understand why people are trying to "kill" the E3.

I really enjoyed it, all these years, and I'll be sad if it goes away.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Don't understand why people are trying to "kill" the E3.

I really enjoyed it, all these years, and I'll be sad if it goes away.

No one is trying to kill it. Well, maybe some are. But stating the belief it is dead and actually wanting it dead are completely different.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
His summer events have been duds the last two years. If there's no E3 event at all then sure it'll be great because it's the only show in town.
Xbox and Nintendo will probably just do their own digital showcases instead if E3 ends. The central argument against E3 with it being unnecessary applies just as much to SGF.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
How though? You must have seen/posted in the Elden Ring trailer thread from last year's Summer Games Fest last?
I dunno. I am sure I didn't post in the ER thread. I hadn't played a souls game until I started DeS PS5 about six weeks ago so ER really hasn't been on my radar until the network test stuff. I'm sure I saw the headlines but I had no idea it was part of any online event. Literally never heard of Summer Games Fest until last night in this thread.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020

AgreeableGregariousFossa-size_restricted.gif

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno. I am sure I didn't post in the ER thread. I hadn't played a souls game until I started DeS PS5 about six weeks ago so ER really hasn't been on my radar until the network test stuff. I'm sure I saw the headlines but I had no idea it was part of any online event. Literally never heard of Summer Games Fest until last night in this thread.

Lol, my conclusion is: I think I'm on here too much.

Kavalier_Clay

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 16, 2021
What's up with all the E3 hate? Microsoft and Nintendo still manage to put on some good shows. Wish Sony made a return.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
User Warned: Platform Warring
It's the same group aligned with the same console who don't want E3 to be a thing. And it started around the same time Sony started having nothing to show at the event.

Sony does a thing. Sony is 'very smart' and does the right thing most all the time. The thing Sony no longer does is incorrect. That is the progression on lots of topics in this space and this is one of them.

It's just another proxy console war.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's up with all the E3 hate? Microsoft and Nintendo still manage to put on some good shows. Wish Sony made a return.
I mean Nintendo's basically just been doing a direct for ages which could just as easily be done outside of the context of e3 (Hell you could argue they do do that since at this point there's not much difference between the e3 directs and all the other ones). The fact is Nintendo was actually way ahead of the curve on this one lol

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
I think it's sad that E3 is dead. That was really fun to get announcement and play test for days.

Kavalier_Clay

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 16, 2021
started with sony dropping out then the leak rightfully cont it

What's with the E3 "love" ?

You don't need the ESA or E3 to organize your own show around the same time.

Because Microsoft and Nintendo can continue to put on good shows without E3 at all. It's not needed anymore.

I mean Nintendo's basically just been doing a direct for ages which could just as easily be done outside of the context of e3 (Hell you could argue they do do that since at this point there's not much difference between the e3 directs and all the other ones). The fact is Nintendo was actually way ahead of the curve on this one lol

Sure, they could all do Directs, but what's the fun in that? At least with E3, we know when to expect it, and we get a weekend filled to the brim with game videos from all major publishers (other than Sony). I guess I just prefer that model compared to spacing out several events over the course of a few months.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I miss when E3 was just a week for all the companies to put on fun shows and announce games. Ever since Sony pulled out the industry has felt a lot less fun.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
It's the same group aligned with the same console who don't want E3 to be a thing. And it started around the same time Sony started having nothing to show at the event.

Sony does a thing. Sony is 'very smart' and does the right thing most all the time. The thing Sony no longer does is incorrect. That is the progression on lots of topics in this space and this is one of them.

i have no particular love for sony and i can assure you it's not that

the esa is quickly becoming a relic, and in an all-digital world, E3 doesn't hold any value to publishers when they can just do their own shows without a middleman controlling their own narrative rather than be pitted against each other. the big 3 all knew this already, and without the inertia of past years and a show floor, they've got nothing to gain from being affiliated with it.

Last edited:

CowboyAloy

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
United States
It's fine. As someone who has never been able to attend E3 it makes me happy to know that people will be safe at home instead of crowded together during a pandemic. Same reaction I had when Miku Expo 2020 was cancelled and then moved online. Totally ok with taking the day off to catch the stream.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
In 2022 I'm still amazed people want somthing like E3. I'd rather have companies announce stuff on their own time than have all this info drop in a one week span.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

Thats a bit unfair. For a lot of us, E3 is just on at a bad time. It was fine when I was younger, staying up all night watching all the shows, but I am older now and just can't do it anymore. Gaming is just so much more global now but E3 is American-centric. Labeling everyone who is against the idea of E3 as some sort of console warrior is just a bit antagonistic and essentially makes discussion all but impossible.

Also, E3 made sense back in the day when everyone did an extra long conference and had presenters and talked and whatnot. Now its just trailer after trailer. It has lost a lot of its oomphf, and was slowly dying even before Sony left.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
I miss when E3 was just a week for all the companies to put on fun shows and announce games. Ever since Sony pulled out the industry has felt a lot less fun.
Beyond maybe SDCC (and even that has been somewhat supplanted by stuff like DC Fandome and Disney+ Day/Star Wars Celebration), I can't really think of any big "industry announce all things together and put on a show" in the entertainment industry - much more valuable for the different companies to create their own bespoke methods of communication that is tailored to their own needs and fans than try and get stuff together to announce things at the same time as everyone else

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
i have no particular love for sony and i can assure you it's not that

the esa is quickly becoming a relic, and in an all-digital world, E3 doesn't hold any value to publishers when they can just do their own shows without a middleman, and control their own narrative rather than be pitted against each other. the big 3 all knew this already, and without the inertia of past years and a show floor, they've got nothing to gain from being affiliated with it.
You can assure me it isn't that for YOU.

I don't care what you want to call it, E3 week is a blast for anyone who isn't married to Playstation platforms. Granted, it was definitely better when they were there and if it takes getting away from ESA to bring them back into the fold I'm all for renaming it whatever.

A week to celebrate the industry with all the major players in one place trying to outdo each other while the entire industry descends on one place to get scoops, network, creat content for home audiences is great for everyone involved. The people who aren't involved are pretty much the only detractors. Sure, there are some people who truly hate the ESA and that is their main reason. But I think we are kidding ourselves if we believe that is really the driving force on a place like Resetera. The main reason you see the upswell of negativity here is because a large group of the community is currently left out of the celebration every year.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA

I don't care what you want to call it, E3 week is a blast for anyone who isn't married to Playstation platforms. Granted, it was definitely better when they were there and if it takes getting away from ESA to bring them back into the fold I'm all for renaming it whatever.

A week to celebrate the industry with all the major players in one place trying to outdo each other while the entire industry descends on one place to get scoops, network, creat content for home audiences is great for everyone involved. The people who aren't involved are pretty much the only detractors. Sure, there are some people who truly hate the ESA and that is their main reason. But I think we are kidding ourselves if we believe thst is really the driving force on a place like Resetera. The main reason you see the upswell of negativity here is because a large group of the community is currently left out of the celebration every year.
at the end of the day you're treating what was a week of advertisements and industry elbow rubbing as a holiday

that's unhealthy

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017

A week to celebrate the industry with all the major players in one place trying to outdo each other while the entire industry descends on one place to get scoops, network, creat content for home audiences is great for everyone involved. The people who aren't involved are pretty much the only detractors. Sure, there are some people who truly hate the ESA and that is their main reason. But I think we are kidding ourselves if we believe that is really the driving force on a place like Resetera. The main reason you see the upswell of negativity here is because a large group of the community is currently left out of the celebration every year.
I've not owned a Sony platform since the PS2 and I don't give a rats ass about watching endless marketing events either.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017

I still don't get what Summer Game Fest actually is. Wasn't it last year just a calendar and list of links to streaming events that would have happened anyway, even if there would be no SGF? I found it quite bad.

I'm gonna miss E3, and I dislike how Geoff is mocking it many times. I enjoyed none of his shows, and his overexaggerating attitude. I remember him hyping greatly Death Stranding at Gamescom, and then there was only a clip of the MC pissing and a cameo of Geoff.

Last edited:

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
ESA are a piece of shit. Can't say I care for an E3 type event anymore when companies can drop announcements whenever rather than holding them for a specific month of the year and wait for everyone else to do the same. Good fucking riddance.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I'm responding to your insistence that everybody who isn't a Sony fan must feel the way you feel. I felt that would have been clear given my reply quoted the post when you made that insistence.
You specifically say you don't care at all, though. I obviously wasn't talking about people completely apathetic to the event because they don't even hold an opinion of the event. So, my post doesn't apply to them at all.

Forgive my confusion over your post. It wasn't clear to me that you were coming to the defense of people who don't want the show to exist as someone who doesn't care at all about the show one way or the other.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Wait. Why do you think it is unhealthy?
because nothing you're promoting as a plus for it is exclusive to the E3 format. putting a bunch of reverence around a single event does nothing but limit the scope of the spotlight they can shine on the big names that can afford ESA fees and a position on the showfloor.

we can get the same level of excitement multiple times a year thanks to all of the big 3 doing their own shows, and since they can cater this to a global audience, rather than the US-centric E3, they can include far more indie and foreign developers in those displays

nobody gains anything from E3 that can't be better replicated elsewhere, outside of a weird tribalism for it

Stone Dudeman

Oct 27, 2017
The only part of E3 I'll miss is Giant Bomb getting tons of people to show up on their couch shows. But since that wouldn't happen anyway I can't really be assed to care. The ESa has been shit for a long time and are unnecessary. The relevant players can easily do things without them.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
E3 is like an album release. Sure musicians can release songs or EPs whenever they want to but taking some time to experience a bigger product especially once a year is great and I'm sad that we wont have it. 2020 summer gaming events sucked compared to E3 last year.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
E3 just ain't got much to offer companies unless they can physically host something. Companies don't need help uploading trailers.

I'm not really sure I'd call this a "loss for gamers". At the end of the day, E3 was just a load of adverts.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Sure, they could all do Directs, but what's the fun in that? At least with E3, we know when to expect it, and we get a weekend filled to the brim with game videos from all major publishers (other than Sony). I guess I just prefer that model compared to spacing out several events over the course of a few months.
In my opinion it is a much better situation for absolutely anyone involved and for the consumer/watchers to have little events/streaming throughout the year that focusing in one specific day. That's why I am also not okay with hot The Game Awards are, you don't see trailers and ads for new movies being part of the Oscar/Golden Globes/Emmys ceremonies.

Studio would be more willing to show game when they are ready to be shown, less fake builds being made only for the big event, less pressure to have something for that specific day.

And most of all less hype and anticipation could lead to less disappointment and frustration, if you have information throughout the year you won't be expecting the moon for every single one.

I just only see good things from the disappearing of main/big events, let every studio and publishers to make their little event/stream, which they have been doing for the last 5 years or so. Once again that's my opinion.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
You specifically say you don't care at all, though. I obviously wasn't talking about people completely apathetic to the event because they don't even hold an opinion of the event. So, my post doesn't apply to them at all.
If that's what you meant it wasn't clear in your post, which contained things like:

E3 week is a blast for anyone who isn't married to Playstation platforms

Just a reminder that the community around gaming is more diverse in opinion and outlook than what you believe and what motivations you ascribe to others.

May 14, 2021
because nothing you're promoting as a plus for it is exclusive to the E3 format. putting a bunch of reverence around a single event does nothing but limit the scope of the spotlight they can shine on the big names that can afford ESA fees and a position on the showfloor.

we can get the same level of excitement multiple times a year thanks to all of the big 3 doing their own shows, and since they can cater this to a global audience, rather than the US-centric E3, they can include far more indie and foreign developers in those displays

nobody gains anything from E3 that can't be better replicated elsewhere, outside of a weird tribalism for it
I'm still waiting for you to make an argument for this that isn't god awful.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States

Splitting the shows into smaller events over the course of the year definitely diminishes the impact of the event imo. You seem to be trying to put your personal preferences as facts. Even going so far as to say that someone who prefers something different than you as having unhealthy behavior. I guess we would have to move on here? I don't think we are going to come to an understanding, unfortunately.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
I still don't get what Summer Game Fest actually is. Wasn't it last year just a calendar and list of links to streaming events that would have happened anyway, even if there would be no SGF? I found it quite bad.
For he most part, yes, majority of the events would seemingly happen without SGF, however there were events hosted by Geoff, including SGF kick-off event, an odd reveal here and there, and Gamescom.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
If that's what you meant it wasn't clear in your post, which contained things like:

Just a reminder that the community around gaming is more diverse in opinion and outlook than what you believe and what motivations you ascribe to others.
I should have peppered a few more imo in there. But I do think there is a LARGE group of detractors that are simply detractors because Sony isn't doing it anymore.

Imo