• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
oh, so now I could be affected, assuming E3 2018 was one of them

Hopefully that second breach was contained before it got out there though

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
This is Rick (Hoeg Law). That's my video. Just for clarity, I am not her lawyer and she is not my client, just gave her legal background on request as I have done for a number of other folks at a number of other outlets. I made clear on Twitter and in that video the timeline as I knew it based on that contact, in terms of steps taken to prevent dissemination.
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood then. I'll edit my post.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
unlikely since the other 2 E3s that they are talking about are described as being "long ago".

Ok thanks, I skimmed over that bit and focused on the "previous years" line.

That's a relief in terms of things likely being out of date, though now I dread random addresses/phone numbers who have no idea this even happened getting bombarded by awful "gamers".

But seriously something has to be done if it goes this deep, jeez.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
As a youtuber who has managed to keep my real name off the internet for 7+ years, this would have been quite fucked.

Thankfully I'm too broke and unimportant at 70k subs to even think about attending E3.

I've got friends with much bigger channels who've had people just show up at the front door, it's scary shit.

Yeah this makes sense, I forget people still do this on youtube etc.

I'm still unsure though other than making an easy targeted list, what this means for people like me who dont use an alias for games coverage.

Having that list though is shitty with todays toxic and violent culture. So I can see how this is dangerous.

You could find the same info on white pages online for me and the other affected people I know, but having it on display this way removes a barrier that mitigates awful peoples actions.

Last edited:

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Hello everyone as a reminder please be extra careful about not making posts that may include clues about how to find the list -- it's all over the place at this point but we can do our part to not help it spread further.

Also you can confirm who is NOT on the list, but please take care not to confirm that anyone is on the list unless that individual has volunteered that information publicly. Thank you

Honestly I maybe only tried for a few minutes but Id love someone who has the list to PM me so i can see what info of mine was leaked.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still unsure though other than making an easy targeted list, what this means for people like me who dont use an alias for games coverage.
Phishing, spam, using the information to guess security questions (for example, badly designed reset password forms), using the confirmed valid emails as part of credential stuffing attacks etc. Even ignoring the Gamergate angle, this breach is real bad.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Phishing, spam, using the information to guess security questions (for example, badly designed reset password forms), using the confirmed valid emails as part of credential stuffing attacks etc. Even ignoring the Gamergate angle, this breach is real bad.

Well like I was saying, I dont know for certain but it seems as if my info that was leaked is the same thing that can be found on whitepages.com

I would need to see the actual list to confirm but I didnt find it as easily as people seem to think you can.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Well like I was saying, I dont know for certain but it seems as if my info that was leaked is the same thing that can be found on whitepages.com

I would need to see the actual list to confirm but I didnt find it as easily as people seem to think you can.

Dude, no. Please. At best, change your email address.

List (two lists now) is information of 8000+ journalists and media reps from around the world. Info such as Full name, mailing address, phone number, email address, company they work for, and more. You can't find a list like that on Whitepages.com, let alone you cannot verify the info on whitepages to be accurate or can be pinpointed to you.

However, this list, along with Whitepages, is damning and will lead to harassments of self and family if someone pleases.

I've seen the list. It's people from all around the world, not just North America.

I will see if you're in the list.

EDIT: PM-ed you.

Last edited:

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Oh great. My info is likely out there since I've been going for many, many years before 2019. Perfect.

Last edited:

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I thought it was bad this happened once, but recoverable. But two other E3 lists exist? Jesus there will be a reckoning.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can somebody PM me with details about the list? I'm trying to see if my colleague is also on it.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Dude, no. Please. At best, change your email address.

List (two lists now) is information of 8000+ journalists and media reps from around the world. Info such as Full name, mailing address, phone number, email address, company they work for, and more. You can't find a list like that on Whitepages.com, let alone you cannot verify the info on whitepages to be accurate or can be pinpointed to you.

However, this list, along with Whitepages, is damning and will lead to harassments of self and family if someone pleases.

I've seen the list. It's people from all around the world, not just North America.

I will see if you're in the list.

EDIT: PM-ed you.

Yeah you're right its more detail than I would like partialy because it can be assumed it's correct.

Other than my email though everything on the list is the same phone info and dress info I can find on whitepages.com and truepeoplesearch.com I just checked

Still sucks all the same

Its annoying that the ESA never responded with my request to at least tell me what of mine was shown.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah you're right its more detail than I would like partialy because it can be assumed it's correct.

Other than my email though everything on the list is the same phone info and dress info I can find on whitepages.com and truepeoplesearch.com I just checked

Still sucks all the same

Its annoying that the ESA never responded with my request to at least tell me what of mine was shown.

thats going to be another huge part of the lawsuit............the fact that they haven't even informed anyone on that list, there could be quite a few out there that don't even know they are potentially a target

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
What trust is there for anyone to attend E3 anymore, whether you're a journalist or just an attendee? I was going to go next year, but now I'm definitely not.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
The GI.Biz story doesn't work, how credible is it at this moment? Can anyone confirm more people were affected?

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
No problem. Whether someone is a client/legal advice was given is just one of those important areas I have to clarify if I see it wrongly stated. Otherwise, I would have left it alone. Thanks for adding the clarification.
No problem, good that this were resolved with the mods too
What trust is there for anyone to attend E3 anymore, whether you're a journalist or just an attendee? I was going to go next year, but now I'm definitely not.
Well, I'd be ok with them paying the consequences of having to cancel next year's E3. At the same time, one could argue that next year will be the safest time to go there because surely they will be taking many steps to ensure nothing like this happens to them again. One must assume at least.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
thats going to be another huge part of the lawsuit............the fact that they haven't even informed anyone on that list, there could be quite a few out there that don't even know they are potentially a target

Yeah I got an email but with these other lists I imagine this will be a big problem

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The GI.Biz story doesn't work, how credible is it at this moment? Can anyone confirm more people were affected?
Sounds plausible. The 2019 list that "got out" was designed to be freely distributed to the exhibitors and had a direct, unprotected link on E3 website. It is very likely they have done it in the previous years too.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

They likely took it down because it gave vague hints at how people could find older versions of the list from previous years.

I think it is safe to say it was credible since the ESA themselves said they put the list from previous years up in the same manner.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
not surprised ESA are acting like this will blow over soon

cowards

The ESA right now:

9Jzpm8-HD9tBtdKSwWCAnun7LDM=.gif

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds plausible. The 2019 list that "got out" was designed to be freely distributed to the exhibitors and had a direct, unprotected link on E3 website. It is very likely they have done it in the previous years too.
They likely took it down because it gave vague hints at how people could find older versions of the list from previous years.

I think it is safe to say it was credible since the ESA themselves said they put the list from previous years up in the same manner.

Yeah, this is what I was worried about. Seeing stories of former fellow journalists being harassed is terrible. It actually makes me sick seeing this happen. At this rate they're gonna get into a class action lawsuit of epic proportions, combined with a considerable fine from the EU because they did not maintain adequate private security protocols in accordance with the GDPR.

We'll see how this goes, but it's fair to say this is going to have heavy repercussions throughout the industry.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oof. I'm not a data protection lawyer, but I think the act of distributing journalists' personal info to exhibitors could potentially be a GDPR violation on its own, especially if it was something you had to explicitly opt-out of in order to get your details off the list.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Oof. I'm not a data protection lawyer, but I think the act of distributing journalists' personal info to exhibitors could potentially be a GDPR violation on its own, especially if it was something you had to explicitly opt-out of in order to get your details off the list.
Sounded to me like it was all business contact information, but some (most?) content creators don't have a business address since they work from home and used their home address instead.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounded to me like it was all business contact information, but some (most?) content creators don't have a business address since they work from home and used their home address instead.
While that is a fair point, from what I understand email addresses would be considered private personal information for GDPR purposes, and so I do think the ESA would still be in potential trouble (before we consider that all this information leaked and now the ESA definitely is in trouble).

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is what I was worried about. Seeing stories of former fellow journalists being harassed is terrible. It actually makes me sick seeing this happen. At this rate they're gonna get into a class action lawsuit of epic proportions, combined with a considerable fine from the EU because they did not maintain adequate private security protocols in accordance with the GDPR.

We'll see how this goes, but it's fair to say this is going to have heavy repercussions throughout the industry.
As it should. This is insane and needs to be dealt with as harshly as possible.

Last edited:

celebi23

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone PM me the list? Trying to see if some close friends of mine are on it, and give them a heads up if they are on it.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
Having seen some people I follow state on Twitter that they have already been harassed with strange and creepy emails, I am interested in that list too. Because my friends need to know ASAP too. Also, is there a central place to sign up for a class action lawsuit yet? I want to provide them with that info as well if possible.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Having seen some people I follow state on Twitter that they have already been harassed with strange and creepy emails, I am interested in that list too. Because my friends need to know ASAP too. Also, is there a central place to sign up for a class action lawsuit yet? I want to provide them with that info as well if possible.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamesindustry took down the article. I was able to access the link about 3 hours ago but now it doesn't work, and I cannot find the article on their site anymore.

EDIT: Found it by searching but the article is not accessible.

Jun 17, 2018
Just a reminder for those in the EU that are affected, file a complaint with your supervisory authority (Information Commissioners Office if you're in the UK) as this breach could cause harm (physical or emotional). Hopefully they will face the full extent of the law for this, especially since it was kept available, unsecure and in an easy to read format.

What in the fuck were they thinking?

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wish gamesindustry.biz had at least listed the years that they had found so more people could be aware and get involved/informed.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
User Warned: Inflammatory drive-by post
Absolute dumb, but if you are a journalist and use your personal data for this stuff then you have no business being a journalist.

Use
business email
Business mailing address
business address
business phone

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Absolute dumb, but if you are a journalist and use your personal data for this stuff then you have no business being a journalist.

Use
business email
Business mailing address
business address
business phone

Some don't know, or they don't have that kind of stuff if they are freelance or smaller content creators who operate out of their homes or don't have business contact details due to monetary reasons.