• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Absolute dumb, but if you are a journalist and use your personal data for this stuff then you have no business being a journalist.

Use
business email
Business mailing address
business address
business phone

I run a small website from home. I don't have a business address or phone number. But cool, call me dumb.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Just keeps getting worse.

As for if E3 will happen next year or at all, the E3 name is still valuable so some company might swoop in and take it over. Though it's pretty short notice to take it over for next year.
Well, Gamestop is hemorrhaging money so it would be kind of poetic that they both end up dying around the same time. Maybe the PAX people could buy it? Idk, i'm fine with Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft just having their own event every year at this point.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
While I'm not an expert on the GDPR, going over the explanatory note from the European Data Protectors Board on the scope, I am indeed skeptical if the GDPR could be enforced towards ESA. While it would -likely- fall under scope of the Regulation via art.3(2), the enforcement of the rights of the impact European Union citizens would not be easily enforced outside of the Union, given that ESA does not have an establishment or (I assume) a representative here. If you're an affected EU citizen/journalist, you can contact your national Data Protection Authority and they can investigate and determine a fine. But indeed, since ESA does not have an establishment here, worst thing they can do if ESA doesn't pay up, is block the ESA's website.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
God damn. It is unbelievable just how irresponsible the ESA has been with this sensitive info. Genuinely hope this tanks them and a better group takes its place.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
You have to be a total asshole to send anyone to cover this next year if no changes are made.

Absolute dumb, but if you are a journalist and use your personal data for this stuff then you have no business being a journalist.

Use
business email
Business mailing address
business address
business phone

Blame the ESA for shit like this:

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
You can't host a show if the media refuses to attend. They're the ones who had their data leaked.
I actually doubt that anything at all is going to happen. Who of the media is going to sue and bite the hands that feed them? You have to remember that the esa IS the games industry. The board is stacked with AAA executives. And games journalism is access journalism.
Also if media refuses to go to E3, other media/freelancers will go in their stead. The consumer interest is there.
The only way to "kill" e3 is if big publishers and platform owners will just not show all that much there anymore. Which, to be fair, is already kinda happening.

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
Is it? Remember, this last year they were letting the public in and everyone was talking about how E3 was a ghost town.
I'm talking about consumer interest in media coverage, not on-site visitors. If a lot of media outlets are boycotting E3 over this leak, then other outlets will jump in and will reap the clicks.

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
Will this really affect e3 next year though? Doesn't seem like anyone is even talking about this

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Uh, I was at E3 this year as someone who received a special 1-day pass from Nintendo. I was not involved with any of the booths or the media, but I did participate in the Nintendo World Championships, which is tangentially related to E3.

Should I be concerned?

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Will this really affect e3 next year though? Doesn't seem like anyone is even talking about this
I'm pretty sure regular attendees are not gonna care about it in the slightest, but journalist, analysts, and influencers are gonna think twice about going there again. Maybe it could be positive for regular people attending, who knows, but I bet the ESA really cares about numbers to completely ignore all the rest of people not going.

Uh, I was at E3 this year as someone who received a special 1-day pass from Nintendo. I was not involved with any of the booths or the media, but I did participate in the Nintendo World Championships, which is tangentially related to E3.

Should I be concerned?
No, if your info wasn't given tru the ESA registration, you should be clear.

I'm talking about consumer interest in media coverage, not on-site visitors. If a lot of media outlets are boycotting E3 over this leak, then other outlets will jump in and will reap the clicks.
Real talk, with how the internet works these days, you don't even need to be at E3 anymore in order to rank those views/clicks. I know A LOT of people who do coverage online, just watching the big pressers, trailers and second-hand info, and they do pretty well in traffic. Big media like Gamespot or IGN will still be attending because they have to maintain some prestige and a reputation of being "the big gaming media", but I don't think anyone below truly needs to attend E3 in order to do decent/proper coverage (been there, done that).

Last edited:

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
I know but someone just made another thread about DS exclusively that's already the size of this one. A year from now when gamers need their e3 hype I want to see how all these sites big or small react.

Seems like a lot of youtubers and stuff are refusing to cover it like Kinda Funny so that might seem why?

Angry Joe covered it briefly yesterday but was still under the assumption only 2019s data had leaked.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I'm pretty sure regular attendees are not gonna care about it in the slightest, but journalist, analysts, and influencers are gonna think twice about going there again. Maybe it could be positive for regular people attending, who knows, but I bet the ESA really cares about numbers to completely ignore all the rest of people not going.

No, if your info wasn't given tru the ESA registration, you should be clear.
Well, I personally didn't do any of that, but I can't guarantee that Nintendo didn't provide the ESA with the info I gave them in order to get my badge.

I think I need to make a phone call.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a lot of youtubers and stuff are refusing to cover it like Kinda Funny so that might seem why?

Angry Joe covered it briefly yesterday but was still under the assumption only 2019s data had leaked.
I want to believe people don't want to cover the issue in order to not spread it even more?

For transparency sake, I attended E3 some years ago but never knew which years were previously leaked according to GI.biz (Edit: It was 2004, 2006 and 2018). Luckily for me, most of my contact info from back then is already outdated, but still sucks for this to happen.

I know but someone just made another thread about DS exclusively that's already the size of this one. A year from now when gamers need their e3 hype I want to see how all these sites big or small react.
Once again, as I said, most of the smaller sites don't need to attend E3 in order to hype/cover it, so ain't gonna affect them that much. I bet people from big companies will still most likely go, so there still will be coverage for all the needs.

Last edited:

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
Real talk, with how the internet works these days, you don't even need to be at E3 anymore in order to rank those views/clicks. I know A LOT of people who do coverage online, just watching the big pressers, trailers and second-hand info, and they do pretty well in traffic. Big media like Gamespot or IGN will still be attending because they have to maintain some prestige and a reputation of being "the big gaming media", but I don't think anyone below truly needs to attend E3 in order to do decent/proper coverage (been there, done that).

True. But my main point is all the talk about "E3 is dead and buried after this" is way overblown. I don't think anything is going to happen.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
True. But my main point is all the talk about "E3 is dead and buried after this" is way overblown. I don't think anything is going to happen.
Ah yeah, E3 will still exist, no matter what. Is too big of an institution to just vanish from one year to another. But this surely will help move forward the narrative of losing his weight (with right reason) and importance in the industry.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I have put together a helpful diagram on the interests of Journalists & Analysts, ESA is free to use this for research
EBY3tZtW4AIHQWY

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's an ESA response given to GamesIndustry.biz:

In its original statement, the ESA claimed: "For more than 20 years, this has not been an issue."

However, the past few days has seen proof that four separate years' media lists have leaked, plus evidence that the ESA was informed about at least one.

Update: The ESA has provided GamesIndustry.biz with the following statement: "Our top priority is to win back the trust of our media partners. We are working with outside counsel and independent experts to investigate this situation and enhance security efforts to avoid this from happening again."

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Update: The ESA has provided GamesIndustry.biz with the following statement: "Our top priority is to win back the trust of our media partners. We are working with outside counsel and independent experts to investigate this situation and enhance security efforts to avoid this from happening again."

"Don't post people's personal information in an unencrypted, insecure format on your publicly accessible website. Ever. Just don't do that."

Now where's my consultancy fee?

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
Having created the E3 General Information & FAQ for quite a few years now, I am quite familiar with e3expo.com. Thus I became aware of these files quite early on (in May 2019) and communicated in a closed environment with some friends within the media. Needless to say, they were not thrilled. I believe some contacted ESA about the issue but received little to nothing back. As has others mentioned.

The E3 website is a basic WP site with rather poor security. The more intimate sections, like the exhibitor section, are thankfully password protected but many other sections are not. Many external systems are utilized too, some that are very open.

Currently I am monitoring these domains and systems in preparation for E3 2020. Some E3 2020 related data is already available, but not in such quantity or quality to provide any greater details on how the show next year is going to happen. But I keep an eye on it and will report as soon as possible if any newsworthy developments happen.

Lastly, I think this whole situation is very appaling and a sign of ESA needing some great changes. I would even like to suggest that E3 perhaps should be put on hold for the time being until all issues have been worked out. Because it would be very unfortunate to see something like this happen again.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Ah yeah, E3 will still exist, no matter what. Is too big of an institution to just vanish from one year to another. But this surely will help move forward the narrative of losing his weight (with right reason) and importance in the industry.

Is it really a big institution anymore? It was a decade ago but since than E3 has become less and less relevant.

E3 was a convenient way for mainstream journalist to get superficial information to cover games in an article. Publisher and hardware manufacturer realised they can get a similar or even greater audience when they carefully choose their own date for their presentation videos instead get lost between the other ones at e3.

Nintendo don't need e3 to show their extremely successfull directs. Sony didn't even attended last e3. The other publishers e3 shows looked old fashioned and outdated.

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Don't post people's personal information in an unencrypted, insecure format on your publicly accessible website. Ever. Just don't do that."

Now where's my consultancy fee?
Reminder: the "leaked" lists were designed to be spread freely across exhibitors. Bigger lists (with all registered attendees) were available for purchase at $200 per 1000 names.

I don't think this is a question of security, per se, but rather ethics and responsibilities.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Reminder: the "leaked" lists were designed to be spread freely across exhibitors. Bigger lists (with all registered attendees) were available for purchase at $200 per 1000 names.

I don't think this is a question of security, per se, but rather ethics and responsibilities.
Oh I know this is an ethics problem, which is why I'm throwing side-eye at them framing it as a security problem.

Even calling this a "leak" is giving the ESA too much credit.

Apr 15, 2018
Germany
I'm one of the lucky ones on the leaked list and I just got this mail:

"Your are receiving this email because you have been identified as a victim of the Entertainment Software Association (the ESA) E3 2019 Media Contact List data leak. Our intention here is to gather basic information from you to gauge what level of harm this leak has caused to media personnel, particularly Influencers and journalists who have had to incur costs to further protect themselves from the public.

We ask that you take 2 minutes to answer 7 simple questions in this form HERE or to remove your self from future notices or participation please unsubscribe from this list."

(removed the links)

Seems very fishy, did somebody else get this too? Or knows what's behind the mail?

(would've made this it's on thread but since I mostly just lurk here, this is my first post and I'm not allowed to create a thread yet)

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The survey asks for name and email, then asks if there's been any harassment, financial loss, or other things as a result of the leak. It also asks if there's interest in being involved in legal action.

All of the non ID information is yes/no questions.

Apr 15, 2018
Germany
I just read the first part of the questionair but didn't fill out anything.

Went on to find out more about the "ESA Data Leak Coalition" instead who handily don't seem to have any internet presence at all.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any update to this? Just felt like everyone affected didn't bring it up again and there were seemingly no repercussions.