• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

m_anger

Dec 13, 2018
Starting to worry, that me (and my colleguages) might be involved in this. Wasn't at the E3 this year, but I was in the recent years a couple of times. Can somebody PM me this list?

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Any company involved in the tech and gaming industry should know better than to keep anything in plain text documents. I hope they get dragged to hell and back for this shit.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
The European Union probably doesn't have any kind of jurisdiction over the ESA.

How does GDPR actually work in this sense? Like, this is why a lot of NA-based websites straight-up don't allow EU residents to visit them - like if I visit a lot of regional US news sites, I get a message saying sorry, you can't read our content because of GDPR and the data we store on our visitors. Other sites, compliant sites (like Era, even!) ask your permission to store the data, and presumably by doing that, they are agreeing to be held responsible if it gets out? I honestly don't know, curious if there's any Euro law folks on Era who are knowledgeable.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does that matter though? EU has no authority to issue fines or penalties against a US-exclusive organization, and no real leverage to make them pay up. Any legal action will have to come from the US government.
Look up gdpr, any EU citizen has rights when their info is leaked and the EU will protect those rights. The EU will get involved and sue them for leaking of personal info of EU citizens, especially for covering it up. It doesn't matter if it a US company or a company from space, if EU citizens are effected the EU will get involved.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look up gdpr, any EU citizen has rights when their info is leaked and the EU will protect those rights. The EU will get involved and sue them for leaking of personal info of EU citizens, especially for covering it up. It doesn't matter if it a US company or a company from space, if EU citizens are effected the EU will get involved.
Under what court system is a trial going to happen? And how is that court going to compel the ESA to show up? Or compel them to pay a fine or a judgement ?

GDPR works against companies that have significant and strong interests in conducting commerce in Europe, but not so much independent entities that are not subject to its laws.

Problem is that the ESA has so few interests in European there's really not a lot of reason for them to play ball — I guess it depends on the kind of penalty that is at stake. The bigger the penalty the EU seeks the easier it is for the ESA to justify stiffing them.

KupoReset

Jun 9, 2019
Hey guys, does anyone know a way to seeing the list? I attended E3 for the first time this year as registered media and this is horrifying as I am part of a small time team that used all personal information while signing up. It makes me feel better than I am not able to easily find it through Google, but I need to see how much of my information is jeopardized.

If anyone could help please PM and I can verify my media status at this years event. Thanks!

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Hey guys, does anyone know a way to seeing the list? I attended E3 for the first time this year as registered media and this is horrifying as I am part of a small time team that used all personal information while signing up. It makes me feel better than I am not able to easily find it through Google, but I need to see how much of my information is jeopardized.

If anyone could help please PM and I can verify my media status at this years event. Thanks!

It's 2004, 2006 and 2019. If you attended one of those years, you're out there. The lists certainly seem like a complete list of people with media badges, so it follows...

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Surely this kinda shit should be absolute too priority and be dealt with securely. How can shit like this keep happening with companies? Don't all companies dealing with private data have frameworks they have to follow? If not then they should.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Dumb motherfuckers need to nuke their entire site right now.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Weird that there isn't a thread for this on r/Games. Are the r/Games mods squashing discussion of the ESA leak?

Hanlon's razor: They delete anything that is too controversial so as to cut back on the drama/toxicity/shitshow

Cynic: They tend to very selectively choose what to delete and what not to and it usually follows "Baseless accusations that pewdiepie and the other idiots push? fine. attempts to provide context and explain why accusations were bullshit? accidentally caught by the automod"

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Gotta admit I'm kind of annoyed at the journalist in question there, they could have told the ESA about the breach before anything happened but instead decided to hold off because it'd be harder to get retribution? Sure it would be difficult to raise legal actions against the ESA if they scrubbed it before anything happened, but that's just throwing everyone else under the bus, who knows what could still happen to the people caught in the crossfire.

I'm sure they could have kept evidence of the breach and showed the press, too, that'd have been a big enough scandal on its own.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
This is the way ESA ends
This is the way ESA ends
This is the way ESA ends
Not with a failing show, but with a massive data leak.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does GDPR actually work in this sense? Like, this is why a lot of NA-based websites straight-up don't allow EU residents to visit them - like if I visit a lot of regional US news sites, I get a message saying sorry, you can't read our content because of GDPR and the data we store on our visitors.
This is purely my speculation since I don't know what news sites you are visiting, but there aren't a lot of "regional" journalism outlets anymore. Local papers are often owned by large conglomerates and multinational companies. Maybe the Washington Post doesn't get in trouble if it mishandles your data, but that newspaper is owned by Amazon and they do not want the EU to come down hard on them.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Next gen is really about to release without an E3, huh? You hate to see it.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The ESA's (ongoing saga of a) lack of data security makes the Waypoint/Vice article on the leaks ring more true than ever.

You always know when you give a convention your personal info that a lot of it is going to end up in someone else's hands, such as public relations people whose literal job is to connect with media. It's just that most PR reps who see such lists are smart enough not to make use of anything more invasive than email. In other words, a lot of private information of mine does end up in strangers' hands, but I trust those strangers to be professional and responsible. That might be naive, but it's what lets me put it out of mind long enough to sign up for a press pass.

The E3 list was something else. It was just the raw export of every scrap of information journalists gave when they registered. There was no redaction and, most unbelievably, it was just posted on public webpage for anyone to download. But in a way, it also made explicit how the ESA perceives the value of the media that attend its show. It revealed that increasingly, what the ESA is selling is not the media coverage around E3, but the direct access to media. So they made up a list of people that someone might someday want to cold-call, or send a weird tchotchke to out of the blue, complete with the place you can send it.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
The pessimist in me sees this doing nothing to either damage the ESA or stop E3. Most people don't care or even know that this is a thing.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Man, what a colossal fuck up. Of all lobbying groups, shouldn't they be on top of their internet security?

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
So this will highly impact the next E3 right? I can't see people being happy with the way this was handled and I doubt they would wan't to go again just for it to possibly happen again. If anything would kill E3, this would be it. The show is kind of joke after this.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
So this is h
So this will highly impact the next E3 right? I can't see people being happy with the way this was handled and I doubt they would wan't to go again just for it to possibly happen again. If anything would kill E3, this would be it. The show is kind of joke after this.

I highly doubt there will be another *E3* as we know it.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Just keeps getting worse.

As for if E3 will happen next year or at all, the E3 name is still valuable so some company might swoop in and take it over. Though it's pretty short notice to take it over for next year.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
If 2014 or 2016 get leaked, someone text me to let me know I can get involved in any lawsuits. You'll have my number.