• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
So the ESA is going to have the full weight of lawsuits and investigations from 2,000+ journalists, their places of employment, the United States government, and the entire European Union pressing on them.

They are done.

Why US Government would care? They normally don't seem to care that much when these leaks happen.

Vivi

Nov 10, 2017
ESA should be sued for this terrible mishandling of people's information, I mean are you kidding me? Apparently the information was just right out there and all of these people are high level journalists deserving of having their data being private and secure. I mean can you imagine if it was developers and top CEO/execs too that had their information leaked like Shigeru Miyamoto, Kojima, Phil Spencer etc. Holy shit.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Prepare for these things before they can ever hope to happen, corps!! Digital data is fluid!

For goodness' sake, I hope the fallout is siphoned properly and with as minimal shenanigans as possible schmossible. *scrutinizing nod*

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Hard disagree. The anxiety over being on the list is far from misplaced, and these people need to take steps IMMEDIATELY.

Security is more important than comfort in ignorance.

I was really hoping nobody would find out that they had been doxxed from this thread, but for several people that was exactly the case, and it proves why we need to be talking about this to people.
i meant in the sense of a stranger notifying them, and the anxiety is entirely dependent on how one would go to notifiy them.
i do not disagree at all all affected need to know ASAP how to protect themselves. just disagreed on the manner.

NexusGamer

Dec 8, 2017
Okay - the leak and its idiocy aside - how can this be contained?

This shit is still live and posted, it took me two seconds to find if I knew what website to go to (mentioned elsewhere in this thread).

Like it's just sitting there - in PLAIN TEXT. Is ESA doing everything in their power to at least take THAT down?

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Okay - the leak and its idiocy aside - how can this be contained?

This shit is still live and posted, it took me two seconds to find if I knew what website to go to (mentioned elsewhere in this thread).

Like it's just sitting there - in PLAIN TEXT. Is ESA doing everything in their power to at least take THAT down?
Nothing can be done now. It's out. It's a permanent Rolodex that can be referenced on the internet.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
From the various unconfirmed Twitter accounts floating around, this is not a leak but rather carelessness by The ESA. The documents were clearly posted on their website and easily attainable by design but that's only because the document was supposed to be for select people (this is where it gets hazy. Is it ESA staff? Partners? People that paid for the media contact list?).

We were certainly a part of the breach and given that a number of EU editors were involved, this could be a case for a GDPR violation, especially with the lack of communication from The ESA and damage control.

Jan 11, 2018
Fucking hell. This is fucked up beyond belief. I hope the ESA pays dearly for this, as this was no innocent mistake. But most importantly, I hope that all the journalists and reporters stay safe. Good freaking God.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Sony knew they were lax with sensitive info and that's part of the reason why they didn't go?

This is really awful on ESA's part, there's no excuse whatsoever for fucking up this badly.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This is horrible. I can't believe whoever works at the ESA was so lax about storing this information.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
some of my co-workers recieved the email about this and I didn't. I didn't go this year while they did, so I guess it was just this year's attendees? Still absolutely abysmal, but it could have been so much more far reaching

Kinda hoping the ESA is sued into oblivion after this to be honest, it's downright negligent

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
User Banned (2 weeks) Downplaying harassment over a series of posts in this thread
Well the "journalist" that first dropped the story has GG ties and told their shithole audience about it before the ESA had taken the info down

It would not be unreasonable to suggest that her actions may have directly resulted in the info making it out before the ESA patched the hole in the ship
Dude, you can make that assumption but I'm not. I don't know who that person is so I'm not going to assume and as far as I'm concerned people now know this shit happened because of this journalist. Think your ire should be aimed at the ESA for screwing up and not at the person who brought this to light.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I literally found the archive with the info with 2 minutes of research. This is completely ridiculous, they need to be sued until the ground.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, you can make that assumption but I'm not. I don't know who that person is so I'm not going to assume and as far as I'm concerned people now know this shit happened because of this journalist. Think your ire should be aimed at the ESA for screwing up and not at the person who brought this to light.
"I don't know this person but I'm gonna stan for her anyways"
Ok dude

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
evidently most of the blame is on the ESA, but the fact that a person known to have ties to GG stuff, irresponsibly showed it to the world, can also be blamed. your ignorance of the person and who she is doesn't make defending her a good thing.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Did they not tell people how to access the data before the data was even pulled? That doesn't seem like journalism to me.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
Saw the email - isn't it completely dishonest to say this was a website vulnerability? Looks more like someone uploaded the list to a public facing directory, I don't see how that is a vulnerability.

It is pure negligence on their part. Hopefully they get sued over this.

OP
OP
DerbyCityDerek
Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
You don't know who she is and you don't want to assume, but thankfully I know her and don't have to assume

Props to her for finding out, but then she lept to Youtube for clicks and views and put the info out there before it could be contained

The responsible choice would have been "not hitting publish on YouTube until the ESA had the information off the site and off wayback" but being first was too important for her and she fed the location of this goldmine to her audience

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

It wasn't just a PSA that hey I have notified the ESA that this information is vulnerable, they literally told people how to pull the info themselves.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
The owner of the youtube account in question is an active member of a notorious internet forum whose entire purpose is to stalk and harass people online.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Title is misleading. ESA didn't "leak" anything. Some negligent programming left unsecured data on the web. That's why companies need auditing on their security policies.

This sucks for the journalists affected. And with the rising costs of E3 for attendees and publishers, maybe it's time for something else to take its place.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
L-A-W-S-U-I-T.

This is dangerous, especially with the internet harassment goons involved from the very start. They take pride in ruining people's lives, and all 2000 individuals are at risk right now.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I sure hope the combined might of all those news corporation parent companies can erase that disgusting nest of vultures that's still hosting the list from the internet

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bad look for the esa and I feel terrible for those affected by this breach.

I wonder if Sony knew they were lax with sensitive info and that's part of the reason why they didn't go?

This is a bad take, especially Sony itself has a history of major security breaches.

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, it's worse. They sell that list to advertisers. That's why E3 Media gets so much spam.
Ths list (registered media) was free for all the exhibitors (that's why it was unsecured and so easily accessible -- by design). The lists they sell are with all the registered attendees. It is obvious that ESA does not give a flying fuck about privacy.

-IZHAN-

Jul 7, 2019
20 000 000 dollars fine if GDPR strikes and you know its going to strike since there were a lot of europeans
big time oof

Rationale

Alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
At least in this industry, Journalists aren't vilified for their work and subsequently threatened over the slightest outrage.. oh ..

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
As a heads up, residents of the UK can register a complaint about the ESA here. My data wasn't included in the breach but anyone who has been affected should definitely send the message that it's not OK. I'm sure other European countries have similar ways to handle complaints, too.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell.

The ESA needs to be buried for this, as well as the moron who facilitated the doxxing for clicks and everyone hosting this shit.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
Might be good to update the op with that twitter thread with steps to protect yourself.

That email though. Their website had a "vulnerability". Some lowlife finding out a door is broken and opens if you mess with the lock a bit is a vulnerability. Not having a door at all... isn't.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

No the "journalist" was super irresponsible. Someone I know affected with this was in contact with them and was telling them to hold off until it was taken down but then ignored everything and released it anyway for the clicks. That "journalist" is shitty and helped caused this problem without taking proper precautions.