• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Jason schreier may be in danger

Oddly didn't see Kotaku on there unless I missed it or they were listed under a different company.

That list though...Jesus. It's pretty much every media outlet that covers games included as well as YouTubers like YongYea as his wife that are affected. Thanks to Era constantly deleting threads and searching on Twitter I found that KF thread and I think it was only 5 posts in before the first "this will be an excellent time to teach game media a lesson for favorable reviews..." post. What a shithole.

Oct 26, 2017
The ESA basically painted a huge fucking target on anyone on that list. If this doesn't qualify for a lawsuit I don't know what will. Especially with GDPR.

Hopefully this debacle will amount to an administrative nuisance for most on the list... But I kind of doubt it.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
The ESA basically painted a huge fucking target on anyone on that list. If this doesn't qualify for a lawsuit I don't know what will. Especially with GDPR.

Hopefully this debacle will amount to an administrative nuisance for most on the list... But I kind of doubt it.
Maybe I'm wrong, but GDPR is not a thing in the USA.

EDIT: Unless you have data from people from the EU, which they definitely have, so maybe I'm wrong

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Man, this is awful for the people affected.
I could see protests of the event now. Actual fucking protests. At E3.
And with so many companies having their own shows and info distribution methods, walking away from E3 just seems like the smart play now.
The only question now from a bystander perspective is which corporations are going to stan for the ESA and what fallout will happen if they do, cuz that could get ugly really fast.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
This is incredibly frightening for those involved, what horrendous mismanagement from the ESA and they've now put lives at risk.

I can't help but think of the KyoAni incident and how many volatile, angry men there are in the games community who seem to blame the games media for so much. I hope everyone stays safe and we never have to witness something like that again.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
abolish the esa

double middle fingers stay up forever for gators, sympathizers, everyone who still associates with that hategroup, and those who used to but never publicly disowned gg and apologized for it

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This youtube channel distributes gamergate conspiracy theories and I'm 99% sure the person behind it posts on a notorious website that doxxes people and sends them death threats.
Let's use better sources.

I wasn't aware of the history of the channel, it was linked to in the initial article I found. Apologies

GameDev

Aug 29, 2018
How do you accidentally just make the data of thousands of people publicly accessible???

The MS Blaster worm (which resulted in 100 of millions of dollars in damage because it allowed people to arbitrarily run code on other people's system) was caused by two lines of code failing to check the bounds in an array which is a software security 101 level mistake.

Software security is hard.
It requires smart and experienced engineers.
Smart and experienced engineers are expensive.
Companies are cheap.
So they end up hiring kids straight out of college who can barely complete a JavaScript tutorial and are dumb enough to leave a link to spreadsheet on a publicly facing website. Because they think that three $50k junior engineers are just as good as one $150k senior site reliability engineer.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Can E3 be sued for this?
Yes. 2000 people I believe would open them to a class action suit and likely get the attention of the FTC in the US.

We need better laws and standards in the US regarding data and security on the internet. This shit happens way too often because there's no real "bare minimum" enforced. It'll be discovered it was plain text somewhere and 100% preventable because company x is cheap and criminally negligent.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Lot of journos I follow on Twitter are going private after this. Thank God I couldn't afford to go this year :-/

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
ESA about to be sued to hell and back.
And rightly so. Fuck them, awful organisation.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I just did a quick Google and gdpr can apply to organisations outside of Europe. In the infographic the "for what" column seems key, as I don't know if gdpr applies for other uses than the 2 or 3 listed.

I'd assume you could make a case that the ESA was processing the data to offer goods and services anyway...so gdpr probably applies!?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Jason schreier may be in danger

I didn't see Schreier on the list, but gameovergreggy and Dark1x you guys are, please be safe

I just did a quick Google and gdpr can apply to organisations outside of Europe. In the infographic the "for what" column seems key, as I don't know if gdpr applies for other uses than the 2 or 3 listed.

I'd assume you could make a case that the ESA was processing the data to offer goods and services anyway...so gdpr probably applies!?

yes, Europe laws should apply as a there were a TON of foreign businesses and personal.

ESA about fucked themselves on this one

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Good Job. People played themselves. Before the initial tweet and YT video a day ago the information was not up on those harassment sites.

Don't wake sleeping dogs.
But no it's to late anyways.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Good Job. People played themselves. Before the initial tweet and YT video a day ago the information was not up on those harassment sites.

Don't wake sleeping dogs.
But no it's to late anyways.

yes, but can you really depend on the ESA to get it done? Even after informing them and the web page being removed, the file was still being hosted, if the file would have just been removed at the time that author contacted them this would never have been as big as it is. Now a simple google search gives you literally EVERYTHING and insanely out in the wide open.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
yes, but can you really depend on the ESA to get it done? Even after informing them and the web page being removed, the file was still being hosted, if the file would have just been removed at the time that author contacted them this would never have been as big as it is. Now a simple google search gives you literally EVERYTHING and insanely out in the wide open.
Taht's exactly my point. Should've been reported after that was checked and fixed. Even I searched for the document and found it just because this news spread.
And people with ill will, would've done the same.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
This seems huge but I'm seeing very few news outlets reporting on it.
Weird.
Probably 2 reasons, Seems like the smart thing to do. Never wake sleeping dogs. Not a lot of people knew this had happened. If it wasn't for this topic I wouldn't have known either. Because of that I'm not really sure this topic should even exist.

And another reason, this only affects media. When Bethesda leaked data of gamers it went viral for a short while. Partly because people did not like Bethesda in the first place and partly because it affected a lot of different people

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Probably 2 reasons, Seems like the smart thing to do. Never wake sleeping dogs. Not a lot of people knew this had happened. If it wasn't for this topic I wouldn't have known either. Because of that I'm not really sure this topic should even exist.

And another reason, this only affects media. When Bethesda leaked data of gamers it went viral for a short while. Partly because people did not like Bethesda in the first place and partly because it affected a lot of different people
It's an important topic talk about, even if it's also very awkward. This could seriously snowball into one of the biggest gaming controversies of the decade - which is saying a lot.

The Fallout 76 situation was at least people getting information emailed to them anyway - it wasn't out in the public, and the information in question was less damaging.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017

Shouldn't the people affected have a right to know and quickly.
If nobody's reporting it, many might not find out until it's too late

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Of all the things to bring E3 to an end...

Hoping everyone stays safe in the wake of this colossal fuck up.

Baircade

Aug 21, 2018
Europe
Fuck, I hope nothing serious comes from this.

I seriously hope groups like Easy Allies used the studio as their home address to mitigate some of it but I wouldn't be surprised most people used their home address.

The fact that we know what people are capable of when they have info like this makes it really scary.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the industry is prepared for another harassment campaign.

Hopefully most people have a business email and phone number (is there any service that lets you tack on another phone number to your phone?). And home address should not even be a asked field; a business address should have been asked for to prompt people to put their studio or PO Box.